Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 4 - *insert witty subtitle here*

Astral Rag

Arcane
MicoSelva does it show the actual FOV or is still just a blank slider? (Can't watch videos ATM)

Zeriel

Arcane
Blank, obviously. Nobody knows what the values are and/or if the FoV scaling is horizontal or vertical.

You can find out the values by checking the Gamerprofile XML after you set it to a certain spot on the bar. 1.2-1.3 to me seems like the best compromise (too high values don't look very good because the game has elements designed around FOV of a certain amount).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you say so. ;) The only Far Cry I have played was the original one, and I got bored halfway through.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
If you say so. ;) The only Far Cry I have played was the oriignal one, and I got bored halfway through.

I didn't have problems with the FOV scaling in FC3 (I maxed it out without problems), but FC4 is a whole 'nother ballgame, pretty much everything that was fine in FC3 is broken/glitchy.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
So far (few hours in) it's pretty much more of the same that FC3 was, decent enough in small doses. There's definitely some performance issues when traveling at high speed, but my framerate dips aren't too bad so I don't think I'll bother testing to find the culprit.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I'd be playing this right now if it weren't the fact that I'm part of the unfortunate bunch that can't get past the black screen of nothing when launching the game. :(

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
FOV scaling?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/far-cry-4-players-accidentally-reveal-they-pirated/1100-6423699/

A group of Far Cry 4 owners have inadvertently revealed they have pirated the game by discussing one of its glitches online.

Ubisoft has found a way to ensure that certain Far Cry 4 torrents contain an error which remove's the game's field-of-view controls. Without those controls, which are available on legitimately purchased versions, the picture can become blurred and distorted.

Now, after numerous players have publicised their grievances with this bug, a developer at Ubisoft has revealed the true reason for the problem.

Alex Hutchinson, a creative director at Ubisoft Montreal, wrote on Twitter: "PC players! If you're online complaining about the lack of FOV control ... You pirated the game."

The Far Cry 4 trick is the latest in a series of pranks that developers play on those who try to illicitly download their games.

In September, Electronic Arts spliced a bug into pirate copies of The Sims 4 where the image becomes increasingly pixellated.

Other developers have demonstrated more pleasure from dishing pirates their comeuppance. In 2010, a pirated copy of Serious Sam 3 added an invincible, giant scorpion mutant that hounded the player for the remainder of the game.

EDIT: I see someone already posted this.

That article is actually laughable.

First of all, you can remove the latest version (1.03) from inventory, with the FOV slider intact, no problem.

Second, what is this garbage: "...Without those controls, which are available on legitimately purchased versions, the picture can become blurred and distorted"

hahahaohwow.gif

On another note, I'm actually enjoying this more than I thought I would. The mechanics are pretty much identical to FC3 with more shit to do, albeit with streamlined syringe and obligatory progression mechanics (that's actually a plus); it's still the same popamole but on highest difficulty some strongholds are pretty fun - after removing the instances of mouse acceleration from the .xml files the shooting is perfectly serviceable; game actually looks great at times and runs very well. Playable and enjoyable in half-hour sessions.

Popamole for popamole this is 10x better than DA:I, which failed miserably with its version of "huge map filled with markers to appease ocd kids" version of modern game design.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They're both terrible games. Only person you're deceiving is yourself, O great one.

I'm sure Ubisoft are all happily laughing to themselves having a ball after calling out the dirty thieving PC pirate scum for their clever ruse of hiding the FOV slider, that they simply have no time to fix all the horrendous optimization, visual glitches and shoddy controls as they're too busy shoving baguettes up their collective asses and sucking off toads while draped in the French Flag.

How quick they are to point out to the world the villainous PC plebians, when in fact the Xbox360 and PS3 versions were available... what, an entire day before the PC version saw light? Pirating for consoles is just as easy as for computers, it's rude to play favourites as such, and use it as an excuse to develop grossly inferior products. No, I won't fucking buy a controller, I've got a perfectly good mouse with excellent precision, and a keyboard with almost a hundred perfectly working keys, leave the baguettes at home and make it fucking work.

Ubisoft do not hide their animosity towards the PC platform, shit, they openly flaunt it. Why do they still develop for PC? Why do people still buy their games? I don't know, but I hear shoving baguettes up your ass is more fun.

FUDU

Arcane
No idea why, but this game is practically unplayable for me. It runs fine, 60FPS on med-high settings when I'm walking around, but once I start travelling in vehicles or running long distances it starts lagging so bad I get about 10m done in a minute. It's almost like it's struggling to lead the new areas.

Another great game by Ubisoft. :retarded:

They're fast approaching EA levels of shittiness. Fucking frenchies.

I heard that if you put cheese, frogs legs and a white surrender flag on your desktop, that all the glitches will go away.

But it only works if you don't shower for at least a week.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Meh, it seems to follow Ubisoft's recent tradition of filling the game to the absolute brim with boring filler content. Ubisoft has always been big on filler, but it seems they decided to really overdo it in most of their recent games.

Even the main campaign missions are pretty crap and generic. While Far Cry 3 wasn't exactly a great game, it was okay for a popamole game and had some memorable missions. FC4 is just bland, banal boring shit all over the place. There's so much to do, yet so little of interest.

Also, what's up with the healing mechanics? FC3 was piss easy and in FC4 they upped the challenge significantly, but it feels like 90% of gunfights consist of me squatting behind cover, holding CTRL to heal. :/

garren

Arcane
Patron
what-the-fuck-am-i-reading.jpg

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
That's... actually kinda a neat twist.

You can bring your mom's ashes and fuck the whole conflict.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Still miss those Full Metal Jacket moments you had in Far Cry 2 where you maimed enemies with a sniper rifle and then waited for their buddies to try and rescue them. Or is that just me?

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Nothing, but nothing, could compensate for the enemy respawn system in FC2.
Bro, its a shooter. You shoot stuff. Guard posts respawned and for good reason. If they didn't, you wouldn't have anything to do in the game, because all you do is SHOOT PEOPLE.

Plus you could avoid checkpoints by taking rivers, buses, sneaking, running past them etc. But they are there for a reason, to make your stay in Africa miserable, and I don't mind them they fit with the theme running throughout the game.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I WANT TO BE MISERABLE WHILE PLAYING MY GAMES

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom