Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
which might in turn pressure Bethesda to do better with their future games.
Seriously, what's with people believing that poor games will convince developers of shit games to make good games?

PS I did it too recently, with MMX.

This is a pretty dumb/autistic way of thinking

There are plenty of games that sold well but still received lots of criticism that the developers took onboard. Eg, DX:HR's devs obviously did not interpret that game's success as evidence that arcade-style boss battles are a great idea.

If developers think a game sold well BECAUSE of its flaws, they'll keep those flaws in the sequel. If they don't and they're good developers who give a shit, they'll try to improve the sequel.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Didn't play Human Revolution so can't comment, but I've yet to see something like that happening. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a game like MMX will see us get more retail western tb dungeon crawlers, but I don't believe that's gonna happen either.

Edit: And it's not like it matters, since a game made on Bethesda's model (trash collecting for trash collecting's sake) won't be good anyway, even if you "improve writing" or add "better quest design".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Didn't play Human Revolution so can't comment, but I've yet to see something like that happening.

Really? If the gaming industry was based on a simple rule of "people really liked this game, so let's make the sequel an exact clone of it, flaws and all", then the Codex would be a far simpler place, wouldn't it?

Developers, including popamole console developers, change shit around all the time. Often for the worse, but sometimes for the better as well. The first Splinter Cell was popular but that didn't stop Ubisoft from making Chaos Theory much better. What was their motivation? I don't know, maybe they actually cared about making a better game?

Edit: And it's not like it matters, since a game made on Bethesda's model (trash collecting for trash collecting's sake) won't be good anyway, even if you "improve writing" or add "better quest design".

Well, it could at least be a better game for the people who do enjoy "trash collecting".

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Let me rephrase this, because yet again you give examples of games I never played and so I'm not sure if they are in any way connected to what I'm saying.

This is about people claiming that some dumbed down, more or less tasteful or distasteful rape of old franchise through a reboot is OK, because "it might be rape, but it's still good for what it is and will bring further incline" (obviously there are cases when people don't want to admit that the game is not really that good, like numerous Obsidian fanboys present on this board, but I'm talking about facts). I first noticed this with new XCOM, when someone said that this is cool and dumbing down mechanics is ok since it will bring resurgence of serious, retail tactical PC games. Obviously it did not happen, nothing good came out of it, nothing good came out of FNV and I'd wager nothing good will come out of MMX.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Let me rephrase this, because yet again you give examples of games I never played and so I'm not sure if they are in any way connected to what I'm saying.

This is about people claiming that some dumbed down, more or less tasteful or distasteful rape of old franchise through a reboot is OK, because "it might be rape, but it's still good for what it is and will bring further incline" (obviously there are cases when people don't want to admit that the game is not really that good, like numerous Obsidian fanboys present on this board, but I'm talking about facts). I first noticed this with new XCOM, when someone said that this is cool and dumbing down mechanics is ok since it will bring resurgence of serious, retail tactical PC games. Obviously it did not happen, nothing good came out of it, nothing good came out of FNV and I'd wager nothing good will come out of MMX.

XCOM was a success and will probably have a sequel. I'm not aware of the game having any serious, focused public criticism of its flaws compared to the original games, and I don't know how aware the developers are of those flaws, but yes, believe it or not, there is a chance that the sequel will be better. For one thing, since XCOM made most of its money on PC, there's a chance they'll de-emphasize the consolized aspects in the sequel.

Fallout New Vegas is a different story altogether. It's just an Obsidian spinoff of somebody else's franchise. There's no platform for sustained sequel-to-sequel improvement here, because Obsidian doesn't own the IP.

And MMX is different too. I don't even know if it sold enough to get a sequel. Really, it's silly to compare these three situations with each other.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I'm comparing people's reaction to reboots of classic franchises, if they weren't similar I wouldn't be pointing that out:roll:

Re XCOM, it's an offtop anyway, but you're doing exactly what I'm writing about. "Sold well on PC", "they won't concentrate on consoles", "they will improve" yada yada, we'll see about that... My bet is that it will be further dumbed down and tactical battle mechanics will still be more akin to your typical console tactical jrpg than to actual XCOM games

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I think I'm so forgiving of Fallout 2

Why? It's an amazing game. The fact you need to preemptively apologize for liking it shows what a parody the Fallout fanbase is

Exactly. Goddamn. What is so wrong with FO2? This is one of the things on the Codex I will never fucking get. FO2 was pretty fucking awesome.

nothing good came out of FNV .
Assuming this means what I think it does, and isn't just your attempt to passively aggressively reiterate you shitty wrong opinion, then I'd have to say that hasn't been proven yet. Whose to say that nothing good has come out of Vegas yet? There haven't been any Fallout games since Vegas. There's been Skyrim, it was an improvement over Oblivion, does that count? I wouldn't count on it really, but it would be nice if it did.

Thinking optimistically, Bethesda might improve. I mean, Dragon age seems to want to improve because of how bad the DA:O fans hated DA:2. They reintroduced multiple starts, although how much they affect the game has yet to be seen, they also boast more strategic combat than previous games...

But thinking realistically, they probably won't, we all know their shitty fans like to be able to do everything in one game, get every perk, max every skill, if FO4 goes that direction then I guess it would be an even bigger PoS than 3. (Before Broken steel at least.)
Exactly. Goddamn. What is so wrong with FO2? This is one of the things on the Codex I will never fucking get. FO2 was pretty fucking awesome.
Talking plants I guess.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I mean, Dragon age seems to want to improve because of how bad the DA:O fans hated DA:2. They reintroduced multiple starts, although how much they affect the game has yet to be seen, they also boast more strategic combat than previous games...

This is not a good example because DA2 sold worse than DA:O, financially justifying BioWare's decision to improve the sequel.

We're talking about situations where a game does well, yet the developers still decide that they need to make the sequel better.

Fallout 2 is both an amazing game and worse than Fallout 1.

In other words, pure shit. :obviously:

crying.jpg

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Fallout 2 suffers from theme park world design, too much intrusive/fourth-wall-breaking humor, and too much filler combat and dungeon crawling. Still excellent, and I think it holds up to the first when its other qualities are taken into consideration.

Narratively, I think New Vegas is vastly superior, and some quests are better designed than anything in the first two (others, not so much.) The Bethesdian gameplay can get tiresome, but it's still far more competent in that department than Oblivious or FO3.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What I don't get is why waste money on these so called super stars in the first place vs actual voice actors?
You think Arcanum would have benefited from having a big name actor in it's cast? Fuck no.
It benefited from having very competent voice actors and a good script. Instead of wasting money on big names, they should hire good scriptwriters and competent voice actors.

They think big names help sales, same as Hollywood does.

I thought the VA in Dead Money was perfect, probably cheaper too, I don't think any of them were big names..Were they?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/04/16/zenimax-media-files-trademark-for-nuka-cola/

Zenimax Media files trademark for 'Nuka Cola'

Bethesda Softworks parent company Zenimax Media recently filed three separate trademark applications with the United States Patent and Trademark Office for the term "Nuka Cola," a phrase that should be very familiar to Fallout fans.

Not just the favorite carbonated beverage of the post-apocalypse, Nuka Cola is also a handy energy source, and wily vault dwellers have even been known to craft the sugary goop into a deadly weapon. While it's currently unclear what Zenimax plans to do in the event the trademark is granted, it is notable that the applications were filed "based on intent to use," as opposed to "based on use in commerce," despite the fact that Nuka Cola appears frequently in both Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. This suggests that instead of attempting to protect an existing product, Zenimax has new plans for the Nuka Cola name.

When contacted, Zenimax offered no further information, but we can be reasonably sure the media company is not planning to launch a line of Fallout-themed soft drinks. Two of the trademark applications apply specifically to computer games and related electronic services, while the third applies to branded clothing items. About a year ago, Zenimax renewed its trademark on the Fallout name, however, so it's possible this Nuka Cola trademark may tie in to any upcoming sequels Bethesda has planned for the roleplaying franchise.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I don't think they're going to release a game with the potential to sell 20 million plus copies until the console install base is significantly larger than it is now.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I don't think they're going to release a game with the potential to sell 20 million plus copies until the console install base is significantly larger than it is now.

Unless it's another cross-gen, 32-bit DX9 piece of shit.

OeqkJRZ.jpg

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Totally man, I have yet to play a 32bit or DX9 game I liked. Fuck them all!

Oh wait...

It's fine in general, but it's an obstacle in Bethesda games once you start modding heavily. Limits what you can do.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Unless it's another cross-gen, 32-bit DX9 piece of shit.

Totally man, I have yet to play a 32bit or DX9 game I liked. Fuck them all!

Oh wait...

not sure if trolling or just wat

Most Bethesda games are only somewhat worthwhile after being modded, and not recognizing more than 2GB RAM and other shitty limitations makes modding much more complicated than it needs to be. To this day if you (for some reason which I can't fathom) would want to play Fallout 3 with 10+ mods (we're not even talking mega-installations here), you have to use specific tools combined with txt-editing to enable Fallout 3 to actually use your hardware.

I'd excuse Bethesda on account of Fallout 3 being older (which is already lenient because using a maximum of 2GBs of RAM was already pretty fucking limiting back then), but Skyrim suffers from similar problems.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't use mods.

Also: I was fucking kidding, lighten up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom