Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Subjective. The "quality" of the models I believe had more to do with the limits of the gamebryo engine. I could be mistaken, but as I understand it this allowed for people with low end PC's to play. The art style not only existed (50-60's pseudo-futuristic mixed with a kind of art deco architecture), but was good. Animations were ok, and got better with FNV. I'll conceded the color palette left something to be desired, but I wouldn't go as far as "horrendous."

You attempt to defend it by "explaining Gamebryo", while remaining oblivious to the fact that no explanation will change its visuals from what they are. This reveals that you have mental filters in place. Your affection for the game blinds you, grasshopper.

buzz

Arcane
Holy shit 166 pages in and people still shit-talk Fallout 3? 2008 was 7 years ago, get over it already!

It beats me how mods didn't retardo this thread already.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Subjective. The "quality" of the models I believe had more to do with the limits of the gamebryo engine. I could be mistaken, but as I understand it this allowed for people with low end PC's to play. The art style not only existed (50-60's pseudo-futuristic mixed with a kind of art deco architecture), but was good. Animations were ok, and got better with FNV. I'll conceded the color palette left something to be desired, but I wouldn't go as far as "horrendous."

You attempt to defend it by "explaining Gamebryo", while remaining oblivious to the fact that no explanation will change its visuals from what they are. This reveals that you have mental filters in place. Your affection for the game blinds you, grasshopper.

That's possible. The Beth games are getting harder to be objective about, especially when it comes to mods. Our experiences may not actually be the same. However, regardless of modded or not, the art style is the same. I still maintain that was good, even the vanilla experience.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Holy shit 166 pages in and people still shit-talk Fallout 3? 2008 was 7 years ago, get over it already!

Complaining about talking about a fallout game in a fallout thread. :hero:

It beats me how mods didn't ban buzz already.

pippin

That's possible. The Beth games are getting harder to be objective about, especially when it comes to mods. Our experiences may not actually be the same. However, regardless of modded or not, the art style is the same. I still maintain that was good, even the vanilla experience.

3395-1-1245595769.jpg

Ok, seriously now. Fallout 3, in my opinion, did urban settings semi-well. However, most of the gameworld looks too much as if it was made with an editor, and we know it was. For all the shit Mojave gets, it actually looks like an actual place, even to the point of having rocks which look like normal rocks instead of burned plastic turds. Beth's art might be good, but Obsidian has better attention to detail in this department IMO.

buzz

Arcane
This isn't talking, this is just depressing retreating of the same bullshit again and again.
Some random newfag comes in and goes "Oh, I liked X about FO3" (visuals, songs, atmosphere, tutorial, whatever). Then the rest of the Codex put their hands on their ears and go LALALALAL I CANT HEAR YOU FALLOUT 3 IS IRREDEEMABLE SHIT THE WORST GAME EVER MADE LALALA

Look, Fallout 3 isn't the coming of anti-christ. It's not even the worst modern RPG or the worst RPG made by Bethesda. It only sucks so much because its measuring stick are two of the best RPGs ever made EVER.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Look, Fallout 3 isn't the coming of anti-christ. It's not even the worst modern RPG or the worst RPG made by Bethesda. It only sucks so much because its measuring stick are two of the best RPGs ever made EVER.

Find that FO3 LP thread from a while back, then say this with a straight face.

keppj0nes

Educated
The character models that their engine shits out were incredibly distracting and game breaking for me. I never understood why they didn't put more effort into improving them in a game populated with so many. I love the Fallout setting, but Bethesda can never make me a game that immerses me back into it. It could have great writing but if i'm forced to interact with china dolls, i'm done. Oh but thank god they could fit everything on a 7.92GB disc. That was the top priority.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This isn't talking, this is just depressing retreating of the same bullshit again and again.
Some random newfag comes in and goes "Oh, I liked X about FO3" (visuals, songs, atmosphere, tutorial, whatever). Then the rest of the Codex put their hands on their ears and go LALALALAL I CANT HEAR YOU FALLOUT 3 IS IRREDEEMABLE SHIT THE WORST GAME EVER MADE LALALA

I'm sorry but when someone makes a dumb statement such as FO3 had better scenery than New Vegas, they must be held to task.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Bethesda has to worry about things such as loading times. If they had anything more than momentary pauses when exploring the landscapes in FO3, that game wouldn't work.

Jozoz

Prophet
I played it on console years and years ago and the loading times were atrocious.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Someone must illuminate the murky, traitorous caverns of all-consuming decline, that surrounds us from all sides.

We must carry the torch. The rest of the Internet already dropped it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Tempting. But only after Fallout 4 is finally fucking actually announced.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bethesda has to worry about things such as loading times. If they had anything more than momentary pauses when exploring the landscapes in FO3, that game wouldn't work.
I watched someone play it on console for a while.
The loading screens averaged 1-2 minutes each.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Then you HAVE (HAVE!) to go with the Brotherhood and tell them the Enclave got the purifier. Even through they're not (and you know this) going to use it for anything but distributing water. Extra points if you are going to dump the death-virus on it. So they get their giant death bot from storage just so they can stop the Enclave from pressing a button and delivering clean, free water to everyone, so that the Brotherhood can deliver clean, free water for everyone. You can't even join Colonel Autumn, whose evil plan was... wait for it... Distributing free, clean water and using it to recreate american civilization. The horror.
To be fair that puts them leaps and bounds above the Enclave in Fallout 2, who all essentially had the same plan as EDEN without having the excuse of being a computer.

Then you have to pass a linear path full of raiders/feral ghouls/super mutants, which you MUST shoot because fuck your pacifistic playthrough.

Apparently, you only really need to kill the radroach at the tutorial., and get a companion or turrets to kill the muties in Project Purity.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Completing_Fallout_without_killing_anyone

Someone who did it:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/15rzhb/i_just_completed_a_fallout_3_pacifist_run_ama/

NNCW0.jpg

There's a playthrough here.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dcruze

Dcruze's Pacifist Walkthrough (SPOILERS)
The goal here is to get through the game with just killing one creature: the Radroach you have to kill at age 10. This isn't as hard as it sounds... I tagged Barter and Science since you need those skills later to recruit Charon and to hack the computer to get into Vault 87. You need to get those to 50 as soon as possible. Medicine is nice to have since it increases the benefit from using stimpaks. Those are the only important ones, if you want, put some points into Speech as well. You need the Child at Heart perk to get into Little Lamplight. A nice way to save on stimpaks is to drink from various sinks you encounter to heal.

At age 16, pick up the Bobblehead - Medicine from your dad's desk. Tell the teacher you're sick so he'll let you fill out the G.O.A.T. yourself. Start the escape from Vault 101 by grabbing all the stuff from your room. Then just run through the whole thing, picking up loot from the following places: In the room where the Overseer interrogates Amata, in the Overseer's office (the same locker you get his password from) and from the rooms close to the Vault exit.

After you exit the Vault go straight to Springvale and get loot from the mailboxes there, and go talk to Silver to get 400 caps from her. Now set a map marker to Smith Casey's Garage. Three squares from the left, and five squares from the bottom on the world map. On your way there, you'll get to the Jury Street Metro Station. Go to Gold Ribbon Grocers and set off the reaction there. Get the various loot (Mini Nuke, Missiles and skill books) and the Abraxo Cleaner and Sugarbombs packages.

Continue towards the garage, but make a stop to trade with a caravan just east of Evergreen Mills. Once at the garage, get the gun and the stimpaks before entering Vault 112. Put on the jumpsuit and sit in a Tranquility Lounger to enter the simulation. Go straight to the abandoned house to your left to activate the "Fail Safe" solution (Radio, Glass, Gnome, Glass, Cinder, Gnome, Bottle). Exit the simulation. Talk to your dad, exit the garage and fast travel to Springvale. Swim down the river towards Rivet City. Make a stop at the bridge to Anchorage Memorial to pick up the frag mines there (more loot). You'll find yourself getting minor radiation sickness from the swim, but it's not too bad.

Make your way to the Rivet City science lab, once there, exit the room and re-enter to make your dad approach Dr. Li faster. Talk to your dad, don't wait for him to finish talking to Li. Pick up the Bobblehead - Intelligence on the desk. Now, take a detour to the Underworld to recruit Charon so he can do some dirty work for you. Go from Rivet City to Anacostia Crossing station. There's a lot of raiders here, so just jump off the railing to the north and make your way to the exit to Museum station. At Museum station, make your way to the west exit to the Mall. This puts you right outside the Museum of American History. Go to the Underworld and trade with Tulip, Doctor Barrows and Ahzrukhal to get the 1000 caps you need to buy Charon's contract. Loot Ahzrukhal after Charon kills him and get the stuff from his refrigerator. Use any excess caps to buy Stimpaks and a radiation cure from Doctor Barrows.

If one were to get into semantics, one could say getting Charon to do the killing for you isn't true pacifism at all, since the Lone Wanderer would know what was going to happen and would abhor the use of violence. Oh well.

Now fast travel back to Rivet City and head towards the Jefferson Memorial. Stay back and let Charon do the killing. Your dad will tell you to go make sure it's safe to enter, so bring Charon inside to make sure of that (you can dismiss Charon after he has cleared out the Memorial since you have the stimpaks, or you can just have him tag along as a bodyguard). Do the various errands for your dad and when the Enclave show up, get Charon to kill a few of them and equip him with their armor. You want to make sure the Enclave Soldier who is next to the exit to the Taft Tunnels is dead, or else Dr. Li will get confused later and run all over the place. Go to the Rotunda, watch your dad die and then help Dr. Li escape. Talk to her when you're inside the tunnels so she will follow you. When asked, you can let Garza have 5 stimpaks, or not. It won't affect karma if you leave him behind.

Once at the Citadel, talk to Rothchild and then go look at the Vault-Tec terminal to learn that there's a G.E.C.K. at Vault 87. Go talk to him again to get the map marker to Little Lamplight. Now fast travel back to Smith Casey's Garage, and walk to Little Lamplight. Use Child at Heart to get in. Talk to Mayor MacCready and ask him if Murder Pass is the only way to get into Vault 87. He'll tell you about the computer. Find Joseph (he's often down by the water in the Great Chamber) and get him to power up the computer for you. Then hack it and enter the Vault.

Now either have Charon kill the mutants for you, or if you dismissed him, run through the Vault using stimpaks as needed to get to the Test Labs. Once there, free Fawkes and follow him to the place where the G.E.C.K. is. Have him retrieve it for you. Go and get captured by the Enclave.

At Raven Rock, be rude to Colonel Autumn, then get your belongings from the locker. Go east from your cell to avoid the officer. Make your way to President Eden. Talk to him any way you like and get the FEV vial so you can exit the base. Once outside, you can recruit Fawkes if you want. It's not necessary to do so though. Fast travel back to the Citadel then talk to Elder Lyons and his daughter to start the final assault with Liberty Prime.

Make your way back into the Rotunda and then either let Colonel Autumn go, or let your followers take care of him for you. Then finish the game by sacrificing yourself or Sentinel Lyons.

THE END.

I had 39 stimpaks left when I finished the game. Stimpaks are more important if you choose to dismiss Charon after he clears out Jefferson Memorial - or if you are doing a non-pacifist speedrun, in which case you wouldn't recruit Charon at all since it wastes time.

If you choose to skip recruiting Charon altogether and go for a non-pacifist approach, you should tag Small Guns instead of Barter. It should then be easy to clean out the mutants inside Jefferson Memorial with a combination of using the mines from the bridge and shooting them.

edit: Found the New Vegas version!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/p6n7p/just_did_a_pacifist_run_on_new_vegas_last_night/

xFCde.jpg

Funny story here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/1vz2a6/how_a_new_vegas_pacifist_accidentally_triggered/

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
>Fallout 3 came out 7 years ago
Oh my god.

And to any retard who claims Fallout 3 did not look like shit I'd like to remind you that that game has no environment shadows.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And to any retard who claims Fallout 3 did not look like shit I'd like to remind you that that game has no environment shadows.

And the hilarious thing is every single shadow in the environment was explicitly placed there by an artist.
If you have a close look, you'll notice these shadows clip through the walls/ground if you're not super close by, this means that they painted these 'shadows' as decals.
Meaning there is a lot more media to load and render, and knowing Bethesda, I'm certain they made each shadow its own texture or something else equally dumb.
As a result of these shadows being decals the areas will never be lit up by your pipboy light or any other light source.

The lighting engine is also hilariously limited in numerous other ways that makes OpenGL 1.1's glLight and friends look like modern technology.
The funniest of these would be that the pipboy light being clamped to a place far below you if you climb onto areas that are too high, so they don't light areas up properly.

And it also seems to cache the lighting and shadows, which is hilariously inefficient because there aren't any shadows.
At least I suspect they're using a cache as scenes have way more than 8 lights per scene and it's filled with the classic symptoms of either overflowing a limited cache of lighting data, or using too many of DX's glLight equivalent (which would be limited to about 8 active lights at a time).
Just run around in the Dead Money DLC, the entire area is filled with the symptoms of either a shadow atlas overflowing, or too many lights being used if they used DX's equivalent of glLight.

sGu5ZhL.png

This is just a shitty picture I painted of two white dots on a black square multiplied by a texture. but notice how one is cut off at the halfway mark?
This is but one of many ways the symptoms will manifest.
The streets in dead money are absolutely filled with spots that look exactly like this, even with vanilla New Vegas.

And if you used mods that flooded the world with lights, notably EVE, pretty much every area in the game would look like this:
qZRA9zW.jpg
With all that said, It would be pretty funny if Bethesda was still using DX7 level rendering techniques for Fallout 3's engine.
It also wouldn't surprise me in the least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom