Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 2: This game has no forgiveness

the_shadow

Arcane
I've been playing Fallout 2 up until the NCR and Vault 15, and I'm started to get real pissed off. This has to be one of the hardest RPGs in existence. I can't go toe to toe with generics raiders, mainly because I don't have any decent gear. Even basic guns and armor cost an arm and a leg (ergo. over 1000 caps), and I can't get caps because I can't defeat and loot enemies who carry goods worth bartering. It's a catch 22.

Sometimes I'll get a random encounter, and a bunch of supermutants will frag me with a laser gun from 2 screens away before I can even blink. It's like Baldur's Gate I, where your Level 2 party would get surrounded by wyverns or skeleton archers, and it was pretty much game over. I completed Fallout 1 years ago, and I don't remember it being near this level of difficulty. Hell, at least you started out with a gun, and could get a companion in the first area. It doesn't help that the graphics *suck*. You can't see what's a container unless you're right on top of it, and it's hard to differentiate generic people from important NPCs.

I'd take my time and level up slowly, gathering gear and going back and forth between towns to complete quests, but I'm a bit concerned about the time limit. I know the game has a hard limit of 13 years, but I must have received at least 3 warnings to get my ass in gear and find the GECK. All three ways to find Vault 13 require me to level up, which apparently I don't have the time to do.

So, what am I doing wrong? Do Codexers have any tips on how to get some decent gear?

Unwanted

DollarSign

Unwanted
Sometimes I'll get a random encounter, and a bunch of supermutants will frag me with a laser gun from 2 screens away before I can even blink. It's like Baldur's Gate I, where your Level 2 party would get surrounded by wyverns or skeleton archers, and it was pretty much game over
You don't go anywhere near wyverns until reaching late to max levels. Unless you mindlessly blaze through the map with no regard to plot/levels.

So, what am I doing wrong?
Everything, apparently. This game is not difficult if you're not mentally and physically handicapped.

hiver

the_shadow

You should do the smaller quests first. That will get you some loot tosell and get better gear. You should not rush and go over the world map into any direction... obviously.
Good old F2 and those first playthroughs when you dont know where stuff is... man that was something.

I am a bit surprised you get this effect since you played the first game already but... enjoy it while it lasts.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Person used to level scaled open worlds grinders meet unscaled open world quest based rpg.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Dude, you never go full explorer, before aquiring at least a suit of metal armour and a hunting rifle or a .223 pistol. Otherwise it's a death wish.

the_shadow

Arcane
the_shadow

You should do the smaller quests first. That will get you some loot tosell and get better gear. You should not rush and go over the world map into any direction... obviously.
Good old F2 and those first playthroughs when you dont know where stuff is... man that was something.

I am a bit surprised you get this effect since you played the first game already but... enjoy it while it lasts.

I did acknowledge that I should probably do some smaller quests first, but the dream shaman is pretty insistent on me getting the GECK.

As for the first game, I remember it being far easier, if only because you had access to decent firearms and armour much earlier.

Caleb462

Educated
Hell, at least you started out with a gun, and could get a companion in the first area.

You got Sulik right? Leveld up Sulik will melee the shit out of enemies. And get Marcus from Broken Hills.

The time limit is nothing to actually worry about.

If you've played FO1 you shouldn't have much trouble with 2. Ignore the GECK stuff until you're ready.

Oh and have you put points into steal? Steal caps, buy gear.

Angthoron

Arcane
Great startup tip: cruise around Klamath/Den for encounters saying "Slavers fighting farmers" or something like that, basically one group of shitheads fighting some poor punchbags. Run in, loot corpses, run away. Farmers usually have 9mm SMGs on them that you can sell for good money, or keep, and sell the shitty pipe rifle and 9mm pistols.

If you're actually srs with this thread, that's how you go about it to make an easy start.

Xeon

Augur
IIRC drugs have no weight and you can carry unlimited quantity, just loot everything you can carry and trade it for money and drugs since not many places carry a lot of money, and then exchange them for weapons and armors in the bigger cities.

Near the casion town is also pretty good place to farm money, mobsters drop expensive weapons and you can exchange them for a lot of cash pretty easily, I think some of the encounters you can find them fighting another gangs and you can pick up their items after and leave without problems.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
If you're actually srs with this thread, that's how you go about it to make an easy start.

You mean, outside of sneaking into Navarro and running around the game in a full suit of power armor? Yeah, well that seems to be a solution.

OP, if some area wrecks your shit then it is an area you shouldn't go to. Yet. Or invest into Outdoorsman to choose which encounters you want to, well, encounter.

And get 10mm SMG/14mm pistol (or even better, a .223) asap

Edit: Wait, there is time limit in Fallout 2?

Angthoron

Arcane
Pickpocket the Bozar from the dwarf in the tent in NCR (and his guards) and then pickpocket the vendors in San Fran...

You mean, outside of sneaking into Navarro and running around the game in a full suit of power armor? Yeah, well that seems to be a solution.
I think there's no sense wrecking the game like that on first playthrough, so yeah, just some scavenging on the group vs group encounters is a good start. Easy 10mm SMG, if you bother to farm it up, several of those, enough for armor, stims and ammo, plus the eventual 14mm.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
OP don't listen to these fags, because fallout 2 can be ruined more immersively by just doing the quests.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Learn2play

During my full-combat run I occasionally entered hubs where I wasn't satisfied with the damage output of my weapons. I'd just go to other hubs until I naturally gained better equipment.

If you're using an unofficial patch, make the random encounter rate lower, they set it too high.

hiver

I did acknowledge that I should probably do some smaller quests first, but the dream shaman is pretty insistent on me getting the GECK.

As for the first game, I remember it being far easier, if only because you had access to decent firearms and armour much earlier.

Dont worry about the dream shamman. Youll get all that later on.

The most important thing you should do is stop reading this thread. These assholes will spoil the whole game for you.

Just go and play and find your own ways through it. The experience you are having now is one of the most awesome things in the game. To not know, to be afraid of stepping into the wasteland, to run screaming from any random encounter, to pathetically try to steal a single weapon from some dead enemy and then run away before the rest kill you.

There is nothing like it. Cherish it.

It will make whatever follows all that much better.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Pretty sure Fallout 2 is completely different that Fallout 1 in a way that, arms race is not noticable since normal playthrough gives you all the weapons you need and only enemies you can deal with. In F1 you can easily get your balls hanged on a wall in some quests only if you do not have combat armor yet.
In Fallout 2 it's almost unnoticable as you go from 10 mm pistol to plasma rifle.
I believe it goes like
Arroyo - Spear to Sharpened spear (this is soo Obsidian design, remember mining lasers in KoTOR?).
Klamath - you find pistol somewhere during rat quest and can get leather armor too (as compared to Fallout 1 where you start with a pistol that can kill a lot of enemies in ranged combat right away). And you get that purely 1-quest, 1-shot noob-player modern-game-design rifle that is so worthless - something Fallout 1's weapon collection didn't have and thanks for that.
Den - you upgrade to Desert Eagle, Magnum, Shotgun, Hunting rifle. You get location of Vault City and find Modock on the way
Modock - you get best leather armor and hunting rifle to the boot and stuff
Vault City - you get even better stuff including maybe one of the better small guns in the game (G11 was it?)
Then it's probably New Reno and you can arm yourself there with very big toys. You can also get laser pistol and upgrade it there (with crit build it can actually kill regular enemies not that bad). And in Broken Hills you can get powerful shotgun.
In NCR you can get almost endgame equipment.
And then it's extra dungeon with mutants from Fallout 1 where you can get your first PWA and Plasma I think?
And then it's Brotherhood/San Fran/Enclave equipment.
And then in Enclave it's MK2-3 whatever PWA. So you go through like 3 (4?) PWAs.

It's very gradual, just look at the amount of upgrades, there are few jumps there. Not like get combat armor > rape scum in Hub in F1.

Last edited:

hiver

Yes, except you do not know any of that beforehand when you play it for the very first time.

Thats a major difference in approach and the game effect on you.

Sykar

Arcane
I've been playing Fallout 2 up until the NCR and Vault 15, and I'm started to get real pissed off. This has to be one of the hardest RPGs in existence. I can't go toe to toe with generics raiders, mainly because I don't have any decent gear. Even basic guns and armor cost an arm and a leg (ergo. over 1000 caps), and I can't get caps because I can't defeat and loot enemies who carry goods worth bartering. It's a catch 22.

Sometimes I'll get a random encounter, and a bunch of supermutants will frag me with a laser gun from 2 screens away before I can even blink. It's like Baldur's Gate I, where your Level 2 party would get surrounded by wyverns or skeleton archers, and it was pretty much game over. I completed Fallout 1 years ago, and I don't remember it being near this level of difficulty. Hell, at least you started out with a gun, and could get a companion in the first area. It doesn't help that the graphics *suck*. You can't see what's a container unless you're right on top of it, and it's hard to differentiate generic people from important NPCs.

I'd take my time and level up slowly, gathering gear and going back and forth between towns to complete quests, but I'm a bit concerned about the time limit. I know the game has a hard limit of 13 years, but I must have received at least 3 warnings to get my ass in gear and find the GECK. All three ways to find Vault 13 require me to level up, which apparently I don't have the time to do.

So, what am I doing wrong? Do Codexers have any tips on how to get some decent gear?

:whatho:

tindrli

Arcane

just save a lot and reload even more

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom