Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Expeditions: Conquistador Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Expeditions' started by Jaedar, Aug 4, 2012.

1. I'm With Her Severian Silk for prison Arcane

Severian Silk
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Does the game have time limits? I.e. can I wander around indefinitely with no regard to the passing of time as long as I keep my crew healthy? Do the pigs and other goodies respawn?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Irxy Arcane

Irxy
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity
    Few quests have time limits but there is no global limit.
    Stuff respawns.

^ Top  
  3. I'm With Her Severian Silk for prison Arcane

Severian Silk
    Parrots:
    OK thanks.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. I'm With Her Severian Silk for prison Arcane

Severian Silk
    Parrots:
    This is my first time playing the game. I created an all-female party. Is that a viable build? Will it affect combat?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again ERYFKRAD Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Don't see why not. All people of the same class have the same stats if I recall right, so the skills you pick would make all the difference. As long as you don't have a really schizo team of conflicting personalities, you'd be ok.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. I'm With Her Severian Silk for prison Arcane

Severian Silk
    Parrots:
    Oops, I didn't think of that. Is there some way to tell beforehand by reading character descriptions? Or will I just have to wait and find out?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    The character screen has a part describing their personality traits.

^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Having a schizo team is part of the fun!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again ERYFKRAD Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Reminds me, I should finish my run. Are warriors too imbalanced for the game beginning? Cause I'm gonna mod the Capitan into one and add him to the party at the start.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. I'm With Her Severian Silk for prison Arcane

Severian Silk
    Parrots:
    Man this game is hard. I've been ambushed by some rebels and I can't seem to survive for 10 rounds. Other encounters are just as hard.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Use the consumables, they make a huge difference.

^ Top  
  12. I'm With Her Severian Silk for prison Arcane

Severian Silk
    Parrots:
    Which consumables do you mean? I don't have enough supplies to build barriers.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    You should be able to build lanterns, caltrops, net traps, spike traps and barriers. Barriers are usually the least helpful of this lot.

Several of these you have to find by talking to people.

^ Top  
  14. I'm With Her Severian Silk for prison Arcane

Severian Silk
    Parrots:
    I'm still early in the game. Is it important to research new items to tinker? Or will I learn all I need from NPCs?

[edit]

BTW, I save scummed to get past the rebels. I'm actually kind of disappointed that this is possible.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    Parrots:
    You don't have to win. Game will continue even if you lose a few battles.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. I'm With Her Severian Silk for prison Arcane

Severian Silk
    Parrots:
    What skill and level do I need to detect or remove caltrops? Thanks.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Avonaeon Logic Artists Developer

Avonaeon
    Parrots:
    You can detect caltrops by using spot trap (In the lower left corner, it's a tactical ability available to everyone from the beginning), but you can't remove them, save from going over them. There is a passive ability that lets you walk over them better though.

^ Top  
  18. Make America Great Again Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Parrots:
    I really liked that about the game. Made it feel much more dynamic.

Show Spoiler
    I never managed to win against the bitch at the end of the first campaign..

btw Severian, if I were you I'd play it on Ironman, much more fun and tense that way.

^ Top  
  19. I'm With Her Severian Silk for prison Arcane

Severian Silk
    Parrots:
    I tried that in the last tournament battle but the caltrops were not revealed. Do I need a certain level of the skill to pull it off?

To be perfectly honest, I am not liking this game as much as Blackguards. Maybe it will get better later?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    Nope, not really. It gets better for a while when you land in Mexico proper, but after that it gets steadily more and more boring and repetitive, up to a point where you simply just want the friggin' thing to end already.

^ Top  
  21. Make America Great Again Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Parrots:
    Nah, this is more of a "love it or hate it" sort of thing, I think.
    I enjoyed it right from the get-go and into the ending. There was never a point where I thought "Hey, this is better than before, I'm glad I stuck thru this".

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Shadowfang Arcane

Shadowfang
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    I actually enjoyed this game more than blackguards.
    I am on my second playthrough right now and i am really appreciating the quality of the writing.
    The plot makes sense, everything is believable from each event to each character motivation.

Are you going about more opened minded and peaceful or doing a more historically accurate approach?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    ^ Top  
  23. Make America Great Again Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Parrots:
    The entire blend of survival\tactical battles\RPG\obsessive hoarding\exploration just scratched a really specific itch for me.
    I also loved the UI, especially in combat. So neat, so clear, so immediate. Great stuff!

After my "historically accurate" approach, I just kind of felt like shit. But it wasn't like the writing was all "WHY DID YOU KILL THEM YOU EVIL, EVIL WHITE OPRESSOR", it all felt very natural, but still powerful. Kind of hard to explain.

Hearing the "Potente" tune everytime you burn down a village \ assfuck some wandering caravan didn't make me feel any better, either.. :(

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  24. Karmapowered Scholar

Karmapowered
    Parrots:
    This game is anything but historicallly accurate, not even close to it, should you even look through deforming lenses.

Spanish kicked Aztec ass right and left, mainly thanks to smallpox, local politics/diplomacy that granted them native allies and technological superiority in almost every field that mattered during a military campaign of the 16th century. Not to mention the rampant religious zealotry at the times, bolstering their fears determination. I didn't experience any of that in the game which was kind of disappointing to me, since I had bought it on that premise.

Next, as much as I still enjoyed the first part of the game, during which it really shines, the second part is crap. I could elaborate, but as far as I'm concerned, the designers dropped the ball in the later stages and failed to keep balance in check, which significantly lowers the incentive of playing the game through more than once.

From what I gather (I haven't tested the new version yet), the new patch doesn't seem to make things look any better, introducing level-scaling (?) to make up for design shortcomings, setting us back to 15 years old standards that I wished I would never see again in our cRPGs. Also, RNG-heavy features like criticals should probably be reduced in any tactical game to a non-significant factor if it comes to decide the outcome of a contest spanning several turns. Keep them to amuse the peanut gallery, but it's futile to claim they add to the challenge.

No hard feelings since it's their first game, but I'll be more attentive with their next one for sure.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. Make America Great Again Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    You get a brofist for mentioning historical accuracy without OMG WOMYN

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)