Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Expeditions: Conquistador Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Expeditions' started by Jaedar, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Make America Great Again Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Bububu Kickstarter is a gaming renaissance, it's the key to incline! It works and is sustainable!

^ Top  
  2. Vault Dweller Ubersturmfuhrer, Iron Tower Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    Now that the cat is out of the bag, how did they explain this to you? How the fuck did they go from a nice text-heavy, isometric, TB game to this crap?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Explain? I guess they like the idea? They don't have some kind of responsibility to only make games for the Codex, do they? ;)

^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Ah. Oh well...
    I wonder how a studio of their type can handle this kind of game. I mean, from what EC showed me, they're not exactly pros when it comes to graphics-related stuff (Which is important for this sort of game). And when these kinds of games are attempted by smaller studio, the result is just mediocre.

Still, good luck to them with it, I guess.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again Infinitron Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I imagine they wanted to capitalize on their experience and reputation from making The Nameless Mod.

^ Top  
  6. Make America Great Again Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    Parrots:
    Hmmm, why isn't Cineplex showing indie Eastern European films? There's your answer.

^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Parrots:
    Yeah, I'd understand that, and I'd love if they made some Deus Ex\Thief-style thing. But from what I'm seeing, this seems to be a humdrum MP-focused Splinter Cell sort of deal.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Vault Dweller Ubersturmfuhrer, Iron Tower Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    I guess, but it seems like a departure from their first game. One would expect them to build on and develop the original concept further (with more depth it would have been a hell of a game), not to drop it and go with stealth co-op. So, was there any story to it? Were sales/reception a factor?

PS. I really wanted to play a viking game in the style of EC. :(

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Parrots:
    I guess so, VD. They did say sales weren't enough to justify immediate work on another Expeditions title \ DLC.

They did also remind how they'd like to revisit the series sometime, but.. I'll be blunt - if this game flops (and it most likely will), it might kill the studio. So I'm pretty worried..

^ Top  
  10. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I think they genuinely like these sorts of games.

"Their" first production was The Nameless Mod for Deus Ex. Seems pretty much in the vein of that.

No story that I could divine from my 10-minute conversation with them, but I think they've wanted to make something like this.

^ Top  
  11. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Parrots:
    The new gameplay element which is what they kept talking about when I met them was the assymetrical concept of one player playing the spy and one playing the handler.

^ Top  
  12. Make America Great Again Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Parrots:
    I hope they can surprise me, but it just sounds like a gimmick.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Make America Great Again Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    The spiritual successor to Alpha Protocol??

D1P :incline:

^ Top  
  14. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Parrots:
    Can't really give one player control of a gimmick only, so it has to be more. If it fails, I bet you it fails because of lack of depth.

^ Top  
  15. Zed MasterChef

Zed
    Parrots:
    I want to play a viking game in the style of AoD.

Anyway this spy shit sounds boring as hell.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Logic artists sent a poll to kickstarter backers asking if we were ok with the exclusive content being released to the public. From what I'm given to understand it was pretty split along the middle, with half the players thinking it was totally fine, and the other half hating the idea.

^ Top  
  17. I'm With Her Morgoth for prison Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    So this is what goes through as art direction these days....

^ Top  
  18. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Parrots:
    Waiting for deal on Autumn sale for E:C and meanwhile... they announce Alpha Protocol clone with more computah (no icecreams).

Not sure why but feels like they want to be Obsidian bis?

^ Top  
  19. Make America Great Again Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Parrots:
    It's just 10 fucking dollars, you cheapskate. Buy it.

^ Top  
  20. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Parrots:
    Is this handler/field agent mechanic co-op only? I hate multiplayer games.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Avonaeon Logic Artists Developer

Avonaeon
    Parrots:
    There will be single player, where some of the handler's mechanics will be taken over by the agent, but not all.

^ Top  
  22. a bear named spigot Prophet

a bear named spigot
    Parrots:
    Looks like butt.

^ Top  
  23. Make America Great Again AN4RCHID Arcane

AN4RCHID
    Parrots:
    Ugh, Co-op. So what are we supposed to do if we don't have any friends to play with? I mean, not me, I'm just asking for my, uh... friend.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  24. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Let us forget the fact that most of the truly good games were made by developers who simply made the kind of a game that they felt like making. Not the kind of a game that they were expected to.

But clearly Iron Tower Studios can't relate to that sentiment at all, right?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Vault Dweller Ubersturmfuhrer, Iron Tower Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    I merely hoped that they would stick with the EC concept and develop it further, adding more depth and features. It was a fairly unique game that offered what no other game did today. As a gamer I'm disappointed to see the concept abandoned in favor of a co-op game, but if EC sold poorly, it's an understandable decision.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)