Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Everyone says it is shit...but I liked it!

Mustawd

I remember that game. It was worth a quarter to experience at the arcades. But IIRC the big three of fighting games back then was Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter II, and Killer Instinct. With Tekken getting popular around that time.

Martian Gothic
martiangothic-07.png

Modron

Arcane
- MIB the game: I dunno, I liked the atmosphere back then but I can't stand even watching a let's play nowadays. Prime example of a clearly shitty game that I really enjoyed back in its day.

I remember playing the demo a few times but never getting around to acquiring the game. Should probably check out those LP's myself to see how shitty it actually was.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Fallout 3, due to world design, music and "atmosphere".

Invisible War for basically same reasons. But I recall the script is kinda good, so fuck the haters. Mechanics are broken, I know, I know. Rock and roll.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I just remembered some more hated games that I somehow enjoyed/played to the end with reasonable interest:

- Alone in the Dark 4: Jesus fuck you wouldn't believe how I got into this game when it released. I still think the opening parts in the rainy forest outside of the mansion were a great beginning for an AitD game.

Good for what it is, really. I think its biggest problem was being released when the entire market was flooded with these sorts of games.

Atomkilla

Arcane
Dominion: Storm Over Gift 3

5175920358_0e90d392bf_b.jpg

Fuck it, nobody even remembers that game. Beyond bad, but one of my all time favorites. That and Dune are the first PC games I've played.

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

Last Rites - excellent sprite-based fpp shooter with zombies and AI controlled teammates, extremely gory and fun - basically it was single player only pre-Left for Dead. Released only in Europe in 1997 it got only mid-to-low scores, at least in polish gaming press but I consider it a must play for Build engine games fans. Not as good as Duke/Blood/S.Warrior but much better than e.g. Redneck Rampage.

lr-009.png
pc-44000-81341074801.png
Never even heard of this one before, looks like it might be right up my alley. Thank you!:salute:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Not everyone thinks it's shit, but I thought it was pretty damn bland in the single player. The multiplayer was ok at first but then got old. *shrug* different strokes.
It got pretty good reviews, and I definitely don't remember people calling it shit at any point, so that's why I'm wondering what it is doing in this thread. As for the single player, it obviously was very rushed, but the marine campaign is definitely classic stuff. Actually it sounds like it's more of a "everyone says it is good... but I didn't like it" kind of a deal with you, heh.

Servo

Arcane
I rather enjoyed Oblivion until the endless portals to hell started spawning. Didn't trigger that event until well into the game so I got quite a bit out of it.

I even enjoyed Fallout 3, mainly due to the atmosphere and exploration and not having been tainted yet by codex hate.

Edit: I liked DAO too for the first 50 or so hrs.

Last edited:

Atomkilla

Arcane
I pretty much liked most of DAO. Sure, it had plenty of cringe-worthy moments, cliche elements, DLC-whoring, typical Biotardism and so on, but in the end, I thought it a pretty fun, solid title with some great moments. It was hardly anything to write home about, but it was far from bad either. I guess what I liked most was the certain atmosphere to some parts of the game. Hard to put a finger on it. Dialogue was great at times too, as well as VA. Morrigan was a great character too.
Kudos to Inon Zur on the soundtrack for the game - one of the best I've heard.

Admittedly though, there's certain nostalgia with me when it comes to DAO - I played it actively during one of the happiest periods of my life, so to speak, and it remains in fond memory mostly because of that. I still think that the game is solid on its own, without all the emotional crap on my part.

Too bad that the sequel was shit - I couldn't get past the first hour or so. Don't know anything about DAI.

pippin

The DLC whoring is especially crap because when the Keep was released Bioware made like half of them relevant. The same goes for DA2. Although that also means the Felicia Day DLC is not mandatory for DA:I's story :smug:

rohand

Cipher
I rather enjoyed Oblivion until the endless portals to hell started spawning. Didn't trigger that event until well into the game so I got quite a bit out of it.

I even enjoyed Fallout 3, mainly due to the atmosphere and exploration and not having been tainted yet by codex hate.

Edit: I liked DAO too for the first 50 or so hrs.

Oblivion with OOO was a fun experience to me. That handplaced content charm that is constant in games like the Gothics and lacking in Oblivion really gave it an interesting appeal.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Oblivion with the right mods (like OOO and Unique Landscapes) and just simply ignoring the stupid main quest, was certainly enjoyable enough.

L'ennui

Magister
Star Wars Rebellion was ugly as sin and the combat was the worst, but the use of characters and the overall strategy shenanigans that ensued were really quite excellent. It's also one of the rare strategy games to features asymmetric win conditions and its gameplay supports this quite well.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Command & Conquer: Renegade. The indoor missions were shitty, but the huge outdoor maps that the game began and ended with were great.

Catfish

Learned
I really enjoy Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. And I genuinely do not understand the hate for it.

buzz

Arcane
I don't think any of the Prince of Persia games from the trilogy are "hated", they're all decent romps and each has positives and negatives. Personally, Warrior Within was my favorite out of the three. Most people didn't like the "grimdark" aesthetic with the metal soundtrack, the backtracking and it has a "true" ending.

edit: also lotsa bugs

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Command & Conquer: Renegade. The indoor missions were shitty, but the huge outdoor maps that the game began and ended with were great.

Good memories. The feeling of being super badass like Arnie in the original C&C plus nice 3d graphics and awesome soundtrack made me play it a couple of times. Most of the time the reviews were positive so I don't know why you put it here.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm having more fun with Two Worlds than I'd care to admit. I'm about 6-7 hours into it and it was pretty obvious right from the start that it is a shit-to-mediocre game. Clunky combat, ridiculously bad writing and voice acting, a basic and not very well thought out character system. But somehow it has kept me interested so far. Going melee on hard it sometimes even manages to kick me in the balls, at least in the earlier stages of the game. I'm guessing that once I get alchemy maxed and start brewing permanent bonus shit all kicking of my ass will be gone. The item stacking feels really barebones, but still manages to be pretty addicting. Could work really nicely in a Diablo clone if expanded on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom