Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europareich 2057 - A Cyberpunk CYOA

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
X 4 E
Smith, Osterhagen, Bosch

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
X4E Smith, Bosch, Richter Time to show that Euroreich won't tolerate armed bandits the way Librul EU did, time to inform Ze General.
1942x~This_is_the_Enemy_US_%5B1%5D.jpg

The Mayor is either protecting his ass or dirty as well.

Seerix

Arbiter
On the other hand, by maneuvering us into going above his head directly to the general, he's covered his ass perfectly. Any negative consequences and it will all be on the general and us.
Sure, but is he really cunning like that? Also, I have hard time thinking of any really big consequences. Is this Cod guy so influential that those politicians will risk their positions and fat purses for him? Plus, getting thrown out in Syberia stinks of corruption if our government prefers to have heavily armed right wing extremists later than some rioting idiots like this Wis guy now.

If we take this to General, those politicians will only get "hey guys, we just executed this weapon smuggler, did you know him, k' bye" and it'll remain to be seen how big will be their butthurt.

If we let Major deal with it, then he essentially let those politicians decide what will happen and they may want a scapegoat to get Cod out of this mess clean, if they decide to create some drama to benefit themselves.

EDIT: And if it's going to be dealt with behind the scenes then what political fallout? We get right wing hitmen send after us? :lol:

Of course I keep assuming Major is just scared and those politicians aren't real fanatics.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
With one cavet... Most armies hate people who go outside the chain of command, this will either promote us or we'll be send to front line... or both but seeing that we have good team and are well trained in combat it should be welcome change INMHO.

Seerix

Arbiter
With one cavet... Most armies hate people who go outside the chain of command, this will either promote us or we'll be send to front line... or both but seeing that we have good team and are well trained in combat it should be welcome change INMHO.

Yes, but it seems like Ida actually has some more direct line to the General than your typical soldier. Maybe because of her particular position in TSZ. Well, either way, this one seems like one of the big choices and I welcome any big change, the mission in Spain was so far the best part imo so if getting chased by terminators in tundras is what awaits us next I say bring it on. :D

Or we'll die in a gutter, degraded and shamed soldier and Hellraiser will completely focus on throwing potatoes in space. :(

Which btw, is fucking awesome lp, Hellraiser. :salute:

Hellraiser

Arcane
The votes:

XXXXXXXXXX
YYYY
EEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Bosch xxxxxxxxxxxx
Richter xxxxxxxxxxx
Smith xxxxxxxxxxxx
Osterhagen x

You can expect the next chapter probably some time tomorrow. Happy hangover day/new year/next solar cycle.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Chapter XVIII

“General, I wanted to report that we have caught an arms trader operating in the TSZ.” You say over a secure channel. “Also he’s probably involved in weapons smuggling and I believe he has ties to the civilian government. He’s known as *Cod* in the local criminal underworld” You add, somewhat reluctantly as if you expected something bad will happen. But this is the right thing to do, you guess.

“Herr Westgard those are some serious claims, ties to the civilian government could be a problem.” General Vogler replies, he seems a bit skeptical. “I’ll have someone investigate this further, but this could be a major problem if that is true. Politics tend to be a messy business.”

“My further involvement isn’t required Herr General?”

“No, you’re already busy enough with the bombings. That should be your priority.” He explains coldly.

“These two cases could be linked to each other Herr General, the arms trader may have helped with smuggling in the explosives.”

“If they are you will be informed of any findings. I’ll make sure the investigation into this Dorszowski will be thorough, and that we know all about his contacts and trade before he faces the firing squad.”

“Understood, Westgard out.”

You enter a room in the local ECK HQ basement, inside it McKay is waiting. He looks as transhuman as always.
“How is the investigation into Miss Durante going?” You ask Adam.

“The subject of Miss Durante has been sufficiently explored. The paymasters of the female in question remain obscured.” The cyborg hacker tells you, his voice’s machine-like tone echoing in your mind.

“What do you mean?”

“A long time ago, in the dark age before the first true network begun functioning, Marshall McLuhan said that computer networks will turn the world into a global village.” He explains in his typical serious manner, Otto and Sarah seem barely capable of holding their laughter. “The case of Nattapong’s Book Emporium proves his claims were accurate.”
“How so?” You ask curious as to what he found.

“A book store in Thailand, buying online services from Morocco, importing books from Zimbabwe, Venezuela and even Georgia. The money trail is long, but then you notice it is not a trail at all. It is a web, connecting dozens of places around the world.” Adama tells you. “The system isn’t outright visible, the patterns emerge only when you try to trace hundreds of thousand transactions, between over seventy companies, across the international banking system and various *secure* p2p currency systems. Then you realize these inconspicuous enterprises scattered across the planet seem strangely interconnected. A global village hidden within a global village.”

“So what are you saying?” You interrupt him with a query. “You found some sort of money laundering network?”

“That is a possibility, but the sophistication of this one implies a higher tier operation. It is probable that the creators of this *system* of payments belong to a powerful criminal syndicate, work for a major corporation or a government.” His words confirm your fears, these bombings could be part of some high-stakes games, possibly funded by Russians.

You sigh. “That only narrows the group of suspected organizations down by three or four groups.” You say quite disappointed with his findings. “At least we know that the locals aren’t behind this, doubt they have the resources for a global operation.”

“Ah, a global intrigue, perhaps we will go chase this mystery around the globe. To Bali perhaps? I hear it is quite lovely this time of the year.” Richter comments, he seems to like the prospect of traveling.

“Well some sunshine would be good, I might as well get some tan while I’m on duty.” Sarah joins in. “All this snow is making me rather pale.” She adds.

“The matter at hand is serious and you are making jokes.” Gefreiter Bosch scolds them. “We need to find the person responsible and bring him to justice, that is our objective. Do not forget about our duty.” She seems a bit too serious. Then again she is right, you do need to find those damn terrorists.

“Right, the fatherland demands we deal with this problem. What will we do now Frau Feldwebel?” Richters asks you.
“Well McKay,” you ask the SysOp, “can you narrow it down to something we can investigate?”

“A possibility of such action exists, the odds of success are unknown. Nevertheless I will make the attempt, expect a message when I will find something.” Adam tells you.

“Good, perhaps Miss Durante will be eager to tell us something. Where is she?”

“She has been put into a perpetual and reversible anti-conscious state.”

“So she’s drugged up and in a coma?” You ask to confirm your suspicions.

“Yes, I shall make contact with the medical professional supervising her well-being in our subterranean holding area.” The hacker replies. “If you wish to initiate a verbal exchange with her that is.”

“Tell him I want to interrogate her.”

“Affirmative.”

You walk down into what can be described as the ECK Danzig Dungeon. A bland looking hall engulfed in perpetual twilight due to the minimalistic electric lighting installed. A weak blue-tinted glow reflects of the rather generic floor tiles and doors, it provides you with the bare minimum of visibility needed to avoid bumping into the walls or other obstacles. It is a rather unspectacular sight for such a restricted area.

Eventually behind one of the doors you meet up with the Doctor. He is what you could expect from a Europa Cyber-Krieg medical expert, well almost. Sure, like any old doctor he’s wearing a white coat. He also has some tools, well a utility-limb to be exact but this one is covered in a synthetic skin-like surface. Whatever dextri-arms it has are hidden in compartments beneath its surface, it looks artificial but only upon close inspection. A far cry from the outright industrial looking cybernetic appendages of McKay or even your cold black ArmStrong cyberlimb for that matter.

There’s a sophisticated three-lens multi-spectral camera adorning his head, it is mounted just above his left ear. It keeps fidgeting left and right, monitoring the Doctor’s surroundings like an ever-vigilant watchdog, one that doesn’t want to disappoint its master. It is pretty obvious that the whole thing is grafted onto his shiny bald skull and connected directly to his brain.

“Well, the camera looks impressive.” You comment while observing the hi-tech gadget.

“It certainly is, all the latest in Sidic’s new tech.” The lenses turns towards you and start rotating making an electrical whir as he replies. “Even allows me to have my eyes behind my back so to speak.” He jokes. “You are Ida Westgard are you not? And that is your squad yes?”

“Yes, well a part of it anyway. You’re obviously a doctor, the one I was supposed to look for.”

“Not just a doctor, I am *the* Doctor. At least that’s how they call me in this cybernetic establishment on the Baltic coast. No need to have more than one doctor around, so it’s just me and the assistant. Yes just me and the assistant. But he’s not a doctor, not to mention *the* Doctor.” He muses a bit. “The name is Erwin Seitzinger, ECK implant surgeon - class IV, the Doctor.” Finally he introduces himself.

“I heard you have been taking care of our Spanish patient, how is she?” You ask Doctor Seitzinger.

“Totally cut off from the world around her in a perpetual REM state sustained by regular doses of pharmaceuticals. Don’t worry, that’s all perfectly safe. I swore to do no harm after all. Yes no harm at all.”

“Right, how long will it take to wake her up?”

“About five minutes, I’ll assist you in the process.”

“Wasn’t McKay supposed to do this? Well he suggested we could try this.”

“Well he could, but I have more experience and a med school degree. Also he’s not really a people person, that helps a lot in such endeavors.” Erwin explains. “Oh yes indeed it does.” He says quietly as if to himself while nodding his head. The camera seems to pitch up and down with every nod of the Doctor’s head as if it itself was also nodding.
“Wake her up.” You tell him in a cold formal tone.

After about two minutes the young woman opens her eyes. At first she tries to look around with her partially-closed eyes, as if waking after a night of partying wondering if it is morning already and if she should bother waking up. Then she realizes where she is, or rather where she still is. The Doctor stares at her with a friendly although a bit menacingly looking grin on his face. His camera is pointed right in her face. Naturally, she begins to panic. The terror is clearly visible on her face.
“Now now miss, no need to be scared. We just want to talk. The good officer here will ask some questions.” Erwin tells the Spanish hacker.

“Can you people just let me go? I told you all I knew.” She says quietly, whimpering like a scared animal cowering in a corner with its back against the wall.

“I am not entirely convinced Miss Durante.” You say coldly. “You are involved in a very serious crime, over twenty people have died.”

“I didn’t kill those people!” She cries. Sarah seems a bit unsettled by this whole scene, as does Gefreiter Richter. However Otto almost manages to hide that, he tries to look professional, unfazed. But he’s faking it, you know it. Why is he faking it, and for that matter is he faking anything else? What is he hiding beneath this facade? Who is he really and who are his *friends*?

You look at Claudia Bosch next, the last of the rookies. She doesn’t really mind it seems, a cold and professional aura radiates from her stance and the serious “no bullshit” look on her face. Completely unsympathetic to the plight of the sobbing young woman restrained on the metal chair. Some would question this lack of empathy, the inhumanity of it all. But here in the army there can be no remorse, no regret and no mercy. The enemy will show you none, it looks like Frau Bosch understands that well. The others, well they will have to learn it or perish.

“You see Carla,” you say after a moment of contemplation - the blue glow of the monitors reflects off your face, “we’re not entirely convinced. So we’ll do this the hard way.”

“But I told you everything!”

“You can tell us who hired you, how they contacted you and why. Or we’ll make use of all those cables plugged into that nervous system of yours.”

“I don’t know! There were just emails, anonymous calls, you know the usual stuff. So long as I was paid I didn’t ask questions. That is part of the job.”

“I am not convinced,” you say before turning your head in Erwin’s direction, “start her up doc.”
His finger hovers in front of the screen, with one swift upwards motion a gauge on the display shifts from 0 to 40. Then his finger moves to a different place, making another move as if he was pressing an invisible button that was floating somewhere in the air. The screen responds by an indicator changing its color from red to green. Nearly instantly Carla reacts.

“No, stop!” She screams, frantically twitching in the chair from the pain.

“We need incentive first, who hired you?!” You yell at her.

“I don’t… I don’t know!” She barely manages to say that, the stimuli from the machine makes that hard for her.

“You lie!” You yell at her again. “ Doc turn it up.”

The Doctor strokes his finger upwards again. The screen and the machine respond.

“Help! Put this fire out, please!” She starts choking, the machine tricks her mind into believing somebody set her ablaze. “I don’t know…. a thing… honestly!” She cries, barely able to say a word.

“Who hired you?! Who?!” You shout relentlessly.

“I don’t… know! Ho… honestly.” She stutters.

“Turn it up!” You order.

“I don’t think that will help” The Doctor protests.

“Do it! Now!” You insist.

He yields under your pressure, the machine switches the stimuli level to 80 at his command.

A load shriek permeates the room. Sarah and Otto are greatly disturbed, even you and the Doctor feel uneasy. But this was necessary. The Spanish hacker loses consciousness a moment later.

“Well she’s out.” Erwin says after sighing. “I don’t think she knew anything.” He proclaims.

“We should try again.” Claudia says, this whole ordeal doesn’t seem to have impressed her even one bit.
“I agree. She may still be hiding something.” You add.

“No, if she was a trained agent she could possibly withstand up to 100 *pain units*. Oh how I loathe that term. I loathe it so so much.” The Doctor complains as if talking to himself. “Either way to continue this would be futile, not to mention morally dubious.”

Well, he does have a point you guess. The people behind this seem to have considerable resources, it is probable that the girl was only decoy. All this trouble for some minor lead, but at least McKay found something. Now you just need to see where that will take you.

You walk pass an electronics store, although you wonder what it is doing in a place like this. It’s barred like a fortress, perhaps giving away all too well what Neufahrwasser is all about. Ohra-Heibuden-Neufahrwasser the Danzig triangle of crime, although the districts are rather far from each other. The shadier elements have defined the character of those places for decades.

“I heard that this is where sailors used to hang out, back before the massive concrete islands and peninsulas of the DCT and other modern port facilities were built.” Richter starts musing about the past. “A hundred years ago this was one of the only places in Poland which allowed for some contact with the world beyond the Iron Curtain.”

“Didn’t do it much good it seems.” You comment.

“No, not at all. Due to that an illegal currency black market emerged and not only that. Drug trade and organized crime also sprung up, apparently the local communists had deals with the gangs which is why they could exist and thrive.”

“You seem to know an awful lot about the history of the local area. Are you from around here?” Sarah asks.

“No, not at all. I merely read a few things here and there.”

A second later Claudia starts running for some reason. After a moment you noticed why she is running, someone is holding a knife at some person’s throat. Looks like a nasty mugging.

You needed to act quickly. You can let the Gefreiter try to get close and disarm the thug, assuming she can handle it. Then you may also fire a warning shot and order the scumbag to surrender. Or just shoot him, however that last option could result in shooting Claudia or the victim by accident.

The morning after, the encounter in Neufahrwasser was unpleasant but it is now over. However the Major has just contacted you, it looks like something else has happened. You meet him in his office.

“Herr Major what seems to be the problem?”

“The General has learned of *Cod’s* case. He’s currently engaged in a heated argument between him and the civilian authority. Also there are about two hundred people protesting in front of his HQ in Gdingen.”

“This isn’t a coincidence now is it?”

“No, no it is not. But here is the deal. You have proven yourself to be quite capable, maybe the investigation isn’t going all too well. But your service record and the recent trip to Spain prove that your way up the Europareich Bundeswehr ranks is based on merit rather than politics or luck.”

“I do my duty Herr Major, nothing more nothing less.”

“True, but let me get to the point. This situation is going to escalate unless we deal with it. You managed to deal with the angry mob in the refugee camp, now you’ll need to face the protesters. However alternatively you may try Plan B.”

“That being what exactly Herr Major?”

“The protesters will most likely not go away, you can stand there day and night but they’ll try to cause trouble in Gdingen or elsewhere for that matter. Sooner or later this will end badly for all of us. We need to get rid of the source. We need to discredit the “Strong Poland” fraction here in the TSZ. I want you to bust into their party headquarters in Zoppot and search for anything tying them to Dorszowski or another thug.”

“Are you suggesting a break in Herr Major? That would be illegal.”

“Yes, but legality isn’t something the local politicians are concerned with it seems. Consider this karma. This would also help in stabilizing the TSZ and ensuring you, me and the General don’t end up in Siberia. Your experience in Spain and the training you received should help.”

“Two of my men are in the hospital Herr Major, two of my men that have also helped me in Spain.”

“You don’t need them, take the Unteroffizier or someone else. Whether there are two or four of you is irrelevant, just do your job and find something. That way we can deal with this problem before it costs us both our careers or lives.”

You will…
1)…deal with the mob in front of the TSZ Garrison Command HQ.
2)…break into the “Strong Poland” party HQ in Zopott.
For the second task (assume it will win) pick up to three people starting with the one you want to go with you the most. Also say how many of them you want to accompany you from 0-3.

Available personnel: Muller, Mazowiecka, Richter, Beauvis, Bosch (assuming you don’t shoot her if you vote B), Osterhagen, Smith.

Regarding the encounter in Neufahrwasser…
A)…you let Gefreiter Bosch deal with him in close-quarter combat.
B)…you fired a warning shot and ordered him to surrender.
C)…attempt to shoot the thug.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Current Character Sheet:

Ida Westgard, Europareich Bundeswehr Feldwebel

Fate Points: 1

Implants: ArmStrong cybernetic right arm with 9mm automatic gun module, Optical Display Implant, Military Netlink Implant

Skills:
Marksmanship 85/100
Close-quarters Combat 87/100
Explosives 63/100
Medicine 41/100
Lockpick 27/100
Electronics 21/100
Mechanics 43/100
Hacking 0/100
Stealth 68/100 (+3 from sneaking near the warehouse)
Bluff 42/100

Traits:

Manager – you know how to organize things so that they work efficiently, more or less.

Fledgling Commander – you have limited experience in commanding people and making them do as you want. Convincing some to follow orders may be hard if you go about it the wrong way.

Ambitious – you seek to overcome the toughest challenges, sometimes however you may pick challenges that are far too much for your abilities.

Traumatized – some memories, of things seen during combat and not only then, haunt you this very day. This motivates you to prevent similar situations from happening, sometimes to your own detriment.

Slightly Transhuman – your cybernetics aren’t immediately noticeable but anyone spending more than a minute in your company should notice them.

Veteran of the French Islamic Revolution – you have considerable experience in fighting jihadist guerrillas which should help you fight groups using similar tactics. You know how to keep calm under enemy fire.

Scarred – you have a noticeable scar just under your left ear, the odds of you getting flooded with requests to tell the story behind it at a social gathering are very high.

Fearless Public Speaker - no matter how angry the rabble before you is, you have no problem telling them what you want to tell them. Whether or not they will like it is a different matter, but your message *will* be heard.

Black Op Certified – When it comes to shady business that of course doesn’t really happen under Europareich auspices, you are ready to do the job. If such operations took place, which of course they don’t. You gain a bonus to your stealth skill and can now incapacitate targets silently using CQC without killing them, which you usually did.

Bane of the Barbary Coast – Even when the ship is rocking on the waves, you can put a bullet inside of your enemies, pirates in particular. Also all the killing you did while aboard the Elisa may have spawned memes and urban legends among the North African pirates and netizens. Your accuracy penalty when firing from a moving vehicle is slightly reduced.

Monty

Arcane
Interesting that we inform the General we have captured an arms dealer known as "'Cod", and he replies "I’ll make sure the investigation into this Dorszowski will be thorough". So he already knows all about it but is just acting skeptical / surprised.

Enjoyed the bit about 'importing books from Zimbabwe, Venezuela and even Georgia'... those well known literary hubs, perhaps they're propaganda leaflets.

Erebus

Arcane
I knew spending more time on the hacker was a freaking waste of time. The guys behind all this are highly resourceful people who were obviously using her as a decoy. Why would they have let her know anything useful ?

On the plus side, we've learned a little bit more about our subordinates.

As for the protesters, they aren't the same as the mob we faced earlier and we're not going to convince them to leave except through force or fear (which would lead to other problems).

Voting 2A, with Muller, Beauvis and Bosch. If Bosch is wounded, then Osterhagen.

EDIT : I'd forgotten that some of our men were in less-than-optimal condition.

Infantryman

Scholar
The interrogation didn't go well, but as Erbus already mentioned, at least we've learned something about our soldiers. Bosch appears to be best suited for performing the messiest tasks. As the squad summary indicates, she's a 'beefcake', so we probably shouldn't interfere and allow her to engage the thug in close combat. As for the protest, burgling the polish nationalist party HQ seems to have a greater potential for yielding substantial benefits. Perhaps we could tarnish their reputation, or discover their links with the bombings?

My votes:
2A, 3 companions: Muller, Bosch, Osterhagen

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
You will…
1)…deal with the mob in front of the TSZ Garrison Command HQ.

2 smells like a fucking setup by Herr Major...

Regarding the encounter in Neufahrwasser…
A)…you let Gefreiter Bosch deal with him in close-quarter combat.

Should be enough.

Baltika9

Arcane
Storyfag's right. The Major is possibly planning a setup here and besides, we threw in our lot with the General so we'd better stick by him. We also have the "Fearless Public Speaker" trait, might as well put it to good use.

1B, don't want to needlessly risk our men before such a grand undertaking, now do we?

Erebus

Arcane
Storyfag's right. The Major is possibly planning a setup here and besides, we threw in our lot with the General so we'd better stick by him. We also have the "Fearless Public Speaker" trait, might as well put it to good use.

The fact that the Major might be setting us up has come to my mind. However, I don't think speaking to the crowd will accomplish anything : this protest is an answer to "Cod" being arrested and the guys taking part in it will not easily go away.

Baltika9

Arcane

The fact that the Major might be setting us up has come to my mind. However, I don't think speaking to the crowd will accomplish anything : this protest is an answer to "Cod" being arrested and the guys taking part in it will not easily go away.
The Bundesreich does not seek easy solutions.

Besides, better there than in a mousetrap.

oscar

Arcane
1: Too much that could go wrong with a break-in and could possibly be a set up (wouldn't surprise me if our Major is corrupt or on the payroll)
A: Should be enough. And better to let her be injuried of her

Beauvis, Borg, Bosch (if wounded, Osterhagen)

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
1B

2B

The Major was feeding our ego a bit too much for me to be really comfortable. It does feel like a setup, but that said, if it's not, we could come out ahead. I can be swayed to vote 2, but right now I don't think there's a strong enough cases to be made for the risk.

If I knew other superiors other than the Major were in support of us doing 2, I'd vote 2. But if our only point of contact in regards to the second mission is the Major, then fuck it.

Rumsfeld

Scholar
I voted for the interrogation so am disappointed we didn't find out more, but in a similar situation would vote the same way again. We had to eliminate the 5% chance she knew more, particularly after going all the way to Spain, killing dozens of people and putting our squad in harm's way. It didn't make sense to just take her at her word.

And it looks as though Bosch is turning into another squad member we'll vote for on difficult missions.

Difficult vote this time. The 'Watergate' option has a lot of downside, including prison and career-end if we're caught. We'll need to sort out this political angle at some stage but I agree with other comments here about the Major and think we should only consider taking on a mission like that on direct orders from the General.

1 A

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom