Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review Europa Universalis IV Review

Discussion in 'Tacticular News & Content' started by Whisky, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Make America Great Again Whisky The Solution

Whisky
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Europa Universalis IV; Paradox Interactive; Tacticular Cancer

[​IMG]

Our good friend Cenobyte has created a review for Europa Universalis IV.

Read the full article: Europa Universalis IV Review

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Grinolf Augur

Grinolf
    Parrots:
    There confused tech group and culture group. Culture group in EU4 only reduces penaltyes for owning province of different culture, if that culture is part of your culture group.

There isn't direct price for changing religion of province.

Monarch stat are important for various events. Also mil stat has effect on how good general your ruler or heir will be. But one could say, that they have less direct effect than in EU3.

There confused decisions and events. Also I don't think, that number of decisions was reduced in EU4.

Warscore rises very fast from battles. But there is limit, on how much warscore one could get from battles. 40, if I am not mistaken. So it often better get peace deal around 50-60 warscore and not prolonge war further.

Trade Power also depend on your trade fleet.

One could create as many colonies with one colonist, as he likes. With presence on colonist colonies only grow faster.

I don't think it is side effect, since diplovassalization was huge exploit in EU3. And expansion by vassals in still could be considered as exploit.

Maybe there is something else, that I missed.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. I'm With Her Vaarna_Aarne for prison Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    Parrots:
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Most national decisions were rolled into the national idea groups, they're not gone (since vast majority of those ideas were just permanent buffs).

^ Top  
  4. Grinolf Augur

Grinolf
    Parrots:
    It depends on country. Playing as Byzantium, France, Russia or England one wouldn't see any changes. But apparently if one play as Austria (had 3 ND in EU3) or Denmark (had 2 ND in EU3), he wouldn't see any national decisions at all. But in national ideas he would see very familiar:

HAB_ideas = {
    imperial_ambitions = {
    imperial_authority = 0.1
    }
    military_border = {
    defensiveness = 0.2
    }
    fugger_banks = {
    inflation_reduction = 0.05
    interest = -1
    }

habsburg_dominance = {
    diplomatic_reputation = 5
    }

edict_of_restitution = {
    tolerance_own = 1
    global_missionary_strength = 0.02
    }
    austrian_court = {
    diplomatic_upkeep = 2
    }
    hofkriegsrat = {
    reinforce_speed = 0.3
    }

}

and

DAN_ideas = {
    vornedskab = {
    manpower_recovery_speed = 0.15
    }

old_naval_traditions = {
    navy_tradition = 1
    }
    rentekammer = {
    global_tax_modifier = 0.10
    }
    klaedekammer = {
    naval_maintenance_modifier = -0.33
    }
    expanded_dockyards = {
    naval_forcelimit_modifier = 0.5
    }
    den_danske_lov = {
    global_revolt_risk = -1
    }

religious_orthodoxy = {
    tolerance_own = 2
    stability_cost_modifier = -0.10
    }
    }

Only now for some reson Vornedskab gives bonus to manpower regeneration, when in EU3 it give tax boost, like now Rentekammer. The rest are almost identical.

^ Top  
  5. Sranchammer Arcane

Sranchammer
    Parrots:
    We're going to need a bigger overhaul mod.

^ Top  
  6. Cenobyte Tacticular Staff

Cenobyte
    Parrots:
    Well, you have to pay the upkeep for your missionaries. I would call that a price, too :D

That's correct. I mentioned the provinces and their impact on local trade power in the review because it's a major difference to EUIII.

^ Top  
  7. Grinolf Augur

Grinolf
    Parrots:
    Yes, I constantly tend to forget, that I in fact pay something to my missionaries. There is even sliders for it, that I don't remember touching ever once. Not sure why it's here. Maybe some additional tool for modders to play with.

Regardless, religious conversion presented in review as some tough choice with consequences, but in fact it isn't. You could convert some stuff? You send missionary and convert it. More so, game punishes player for not converting his provinces.
    Player could not have the ability to convert some particular province with his current missionary strenght. And most of the things, that raise it, are not free. But not the conversion itself.

^ Top  
  8. Cenobyte Tacticular Staff

Cenobyte
    Parrots:
    Not wanting to nitpick, but at least when playing a Muslim nation this is a constant issue and does indeed have consequences. Since the piety of your ruler gives you such a large bonus to missionary strength if you raise it. But on the other hand you miss out the cost reduction for research and a nice bonus to national tax income. And the piety score is reset for each ruler, so you have to make this decision again and again (I guess usually favouring the research speed and tax income bonus).
    Furthermore, if you don't have at least one province with a different religion than your Islamic state religion (even a Sunni province will work for a Shiite nation and vice versa), you miss out the opportunity to take the Jizya decision.

^ Top  
  9. Grinolf Augur

Grinolf
    Parrots:
    But I already wrote, that it is ability to convert provinces, that could or could not cost player, not the conversion themselves. And its not like difficulties with acquiring needed missionary strenght are relevant outside Middle East and Eastern Europe regions. Also there are multiple ways to raise missionary strenght, so its not like you need sacrifice your tech cost or tax income for it. Easiest would be simply picking religious ideas as your second or third, since it not only eliminate all problems with conversions, but give a good cb, very nice boost to diplomacy and bunch of good events.

My point was, that as long I one could convert province, hitting "convert" button is no brain choice. And if you don't or can't hit it, game will punish you for it. Only Ottomans and Poland have some flexibility in that matter with their NI bonuses.
    And yes, muslims have a reason to keep one token low value province with wrong religion. Or they could just conquer new wrong religion province when they get a new ruler.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)