Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by spekkio, Oct 4, 2013.

1. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Why are modders and emulator programmers always crazy and/or drama whores?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. flyingjohn Cipher

flyingjohn
    Parrots:
    Because in order to spend years of your life working on software which is complicated and doesn't pay anything you need to either be insane or autistic.
    Helps if you are both.

• Agree x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Cosmo Arcane

Cosmo
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity
    Plus even if they start with all their sanity they tend to grow an ever-increasing feeling of misplaced ownership towards not only their work, but also the base game, their community and what have you...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. taxalot I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Speaking of things that are still far ahead, is there any starting point on PS4 / XONE emulation ? I mean, considering the architecture of those machines, couldn't it be possible already to understand it enough to have an emulator that is able to run a Hello World program or a Pong clone ? Or does that require a major breakthrough already?

^ Top  
  5. mogwaimon Educated

mogwaimon
    Parrots:
    Not that I know too much about what's going on behind the scenes, but PS4 at least doesn't really have much going for it. Yea, the new consoles are more similar to a standard PC in terms of architecture but the last exploited firmware was 1.76 IIRC and though there's rumblings that exploits exist privately who knows when those will be released? Once they are one can expect a few curious developers to maybe begin looking into emulation but it'll take a while. PS3 had working CFW years ago and it's still taken this long for RPCS3 to get where it is today.

I might be talking out of my ass here but moving forward emulation may become more about understanding the software on the target machine than the hardware, since we're moving away from having to get acquainted with specialized architecture and poorly documented specialized chips like SA-1, SFX, and the like to having to deal with encrypted proprietary operating systems. I would expect PS4 emulation to come before Xbox One, however. I mean the 360 has a bunch of good games unique to that system but it's like 4 years in with the XONE and I can still only think of maybe one game (Sunset Overdrive) that's a real exclusive that I would be interested to play.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. flyingjohn Cipher

flyingjohn
    Parrots:
    ps4/xone games have some pretty heavy drm which means you can forget about any emulation efforts for at least 5 years,or forever.

^ Top  
  7. Walden Learned

Walden
    Parrots:
  8. Phantasmal Arcane

Phantasmal
    Parrots:
    Great Deceiver mentioned it but holy shit, the latest Dolphin 5.x builds are great. Ubershaders is amazing. I'm playing through Metroid Prime with even LLE audio and Dolby II enabled. It's absolutely smooth. No more stuttering or skipping, not even when areas load. Try it out if you haven't already.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. flyingjohn Cipher

flyingjohn
    Parrots:
    Now if only there way a way to play games like trauma team on a keyboard and mouse.
    :negative:

^ Top  
  10. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:

noice

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. Rahdulan Arcane

Rahdulan
    Parrots:
    Saddest thing about the entire PS3 emulation is I just want it in order to play Tales of Vesperia.

^ Top  
  12. yes plz Arcane

yes plz
    Parrots:
    Speaking of Vesperia, with RPCS3 we might actually get a fully complete patch for the game. Right now the patch lacks in-battle subs (the occasional dialogue between characters during story boss battles, victory quotes/banter, and the like) because (iirc) they couldn't fully figure out how they worked without a proper debugger but could hopefully do it once a decent emulator became available.

EDIT: Found the post talking about it:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 10:21 PM
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Phantasmal Arcane

Phantasmal
    Parrots:
    To further add to this; another new thing added to Dolphin I've found crucial is this new audio backend called CubeB. For my setup, games with Dolby support now properly output to 5.1 where Xaudio and OpenAL did not. Also it has the lowest latency of the backends and the least amount of audio skipping/popping. I'd recommend giving it a go. Obviously if you have a stereo setup, then just use HLE emulation and uncheck Dolby.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)