Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Piranha Bytes ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Raapys, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Make America Great Again Darth Roxorgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    that it could be much improved (it could) does not automatically mean its shit

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Jaedargender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I agree the melee combat is quite bad. It's nowhere near Ris3n levels of bad, but it was not enjoyable at all to me. Manages to be simultaneously cumbersome and floaty, somehow.

Jetpacking around and shooting people in the face with a lazor rifle is quite nice otoh.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Jinngender: ⚧ Cipher

Jinn
    Parrots:
    This seems to be an underlying theme for this entire thread.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. HiddenXgender: ⚧ The Elder Spy Patron

HiddenX
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    In a good RPG combat effectivity should be based more on stats and skills of the character than on coordination/twitch skills of the player.
    ELEX does exactly that. If you build your character you can fight every monster type easily. Until then: Run away.
    Using the attributes as a check for better gear only is a wise decision by PB, because otherwise with all the re-spawning players could level their damage (based on attributes) beyond all limits.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Volkengender: ⚧ Educated

Volken
    Parrots:
    When I got plasma gun artifact weapon I suddenly became a god (without even joining a faction) and retarded AI posed zero challenge. I could have defeated every enemy in the game by stun-locking him. I don't like that at all. I wouldn't point that out as a good design.

Run or die is meh when you finally start killing stuff and it becomes a snooze fest. It's a game of extremities. Once you break certain threshold you are never challenged -> gameplay becomes boring.

I hope they patch it otherwise the game is kinda dead as plot is kinda lame.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. JarlFrankgender: ⚧ I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    Screenshot pls :M

• Funny Funny x 2
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Xeongender: ⚧ Arbiter

Xeon
    Parrots:
    I am a little confused. Combat based on stats is good, then that's great but equipment is more relative[?] than stats in combat and apparently you can have max attributes using the pure ELEX potion or something. That's not about stats and skills of the characters, no? or am I misunderstanding something.

Anyway I hope in sequel or hopefully in a patch they change the system so stats and skills have bigger impact than current.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Elexgender: ⚧ Educated

Elex
    Parrots:
    the issue is more on the upgrade weapon stuff.

if you can find a weapon that fit your stat well your damage will increase gradually, but instead you generally search for stuff around the map until you can use something with decent damage.

instead apparently you are supposed to upgrade weak weapon, this ramp up in damage (and stat requirement), so you can't keep upgrade the same weapon and you have to find another weapon and upgrade it for increase your damage and fitting your stat.

nobody do that, because you don't have the money, and when you have the money you already have the stat for a maxed +3 weapon with enchantment.

the result is early game is all about a 20 damage axe then swapped to a 30 damage axe then a 47 sword with dot or similar stuff found during a quest and then the final weapon +3 with dot.

if they replace that retarded weapon upgrade process with multiple weapons different stat and requirement VISIBLE when you go to a shop or find a weapon the progress will be better, now you can only know the damage/requirement of an upgraded weapon from the crafting menu

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. TwinkieGorillagender: ⚧ does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Invasion of Abessa

I'm missing one combat robot. Wtf do I do!!??

EDIT: fuckit. found a lucky old save, re-did it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    ^ Top  
  10. Abu Antargender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Abu Antar
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Find it!!!!

Or roll back on your save.

^ Top  
  11. Raghargender: ⚧ Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    Can we have screenshot? Or how did you forced her to sit on a bed?

^ Top  
  12. Elexgender: ⚧ Educated

Elex
    Parrots:
    i think it's part of the "romance"

^ Top  
  13. Luckmanngender: ⚧ Arcane

Luckmann
    Parrots:
    Fair enough, and very true.

Make no mistake, though; the combat in Elex is absolutely shit.

• Disagree x 2
    • butthurt x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Elexgender: ⚧ Educated

Elex
    Parrots:
    i am supposed to find the code for
    Show Spoiler
    the missile launch base
    ?
    or there is some enigma?
    i don't understand what's the point of hack skill if i can find all the code in game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Luckmanngender: ⚧ Arcane

Luckmann
    Parrots:
    The word you're looking for is relevant, but no, you're not really missing anything. Combat relies primarily on your weapon and your own ability to use the (terrible) controls to navigate/"dodge"/aim, as well as predict the (extremely simple) behaviour of the (completely retarded) AI, or, bar that, exploit the (utterly broken) world geometry and combat (such as shooting black hole/AoE through walls & ceilings).

The only thing stats determine, apart from a +10/20/30(?)% modifier to damage from a skill, is your ability to use whatever weapon we're talking about. Attributes only serve as a gating/specialization mechanic.
    There is no point. I don't think I've found any (hackable) electronic locks for which the code that cannot be found in the same room, or during the course of a quest.

But I've also not really found anything worthwhile locked away in a safe or anything, either, so it seems to me that hacking is indeed useless. I like having it anyway, just to be able to get into things as I find them (because there are no map notes), but there's really very little point to it.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. PorkyThePaladingender: ⚧ Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    Parrots:
    Gothics came out in early 2000s. Back then, melee combat in RPGs was stuff like Morrowind's click-attack-click-attack, Bioware's click once and continue attacking, or the more sophisticated click directionally-attack-click directionally-attack of Ultima Underworld/Daggerfall.

Then Gothics came and introduced a melee combat system where you could time your weapon block to parry the enemy and then counter-attack, where you could string attacks into fancy looking combos, and where increasing your weapon skill actually led to different, more efficient and cooler animations. This was years before Mount & Blade, and more than a decade before Witcher 3.

Some of you who have played them recently for the first time don't realize how revolutionary they were in terms of combat at that time, even if it's not very polished or perfect.

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  17. Tigranesgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    G1/2 melee also remains more fun than anything in a Witcher game, or most other first person RPGs (leaving out Dark Souls and the like from the equation).

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Make America Great Again Darth Roxorgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    be very glad you didnt witness it in risen 2 and 3

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Tygrendegender: ⚧ Educated

Tygrende
    Parrots:
    So, I just found out that the english translation is trash and largely different from the original german version. As a matter of fact all translations are trash since all of them are based on the english one.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Logan's motivation for blowing up Hort is completly different. In the german version he considers Clerics to be even more dangerous than the Albs while in the english version he's just being a selfish asshole.

• Informative x 3
    • WTF am I reading x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • decline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. 1451gender: ⚧ Seeker In My Safe Space

Parrots:
    A funny thing about Elex is that you can find legendary weapons relatively easily but you can't equip them due to stat restrictions, whilst in other games you have to kill a giant lizard to get your weapon. The mechanics behind Elex's gameplay are indeed interesting but the controls are clunky, Japanese games like Nier or even western ones like DmC have much more precise controls.
    It's not a matter of design, it's just bad implementation. They thought for example that having shotguns would be cool and setting appropriate but using this shotgun to shoot mutants is an entirely different issue. Press left trigger to aim and the right to shoot all the while mutants are running towards you at supersonic speeds. It's like they didn't play DmC or even Syphon Filter or even Hitman to know how good controls are and work.
    No reason to snub action games if you are trying to make one.

^ Top  
  21. GloomFrostgender: ⚧ Savant

GloomFrost
    Parrots:
    Oh WOW. Thats crazy. Thank you so much for telling me all that useful, interesting and relevant information.Because i never played anything before Elex and only tried gothic yesterday morning. Still not sure what its got to do with me saying that using jetpack to gain an advantage in combat is not that different from getting up on the hill and shooting enemies in Gothic. (and the could do nothing about it coz most enemies in Gothic did not have ranged attacks unlike Elex where almost everyone does!!!!).
    P.S. Oh BTW animations changed after improving yours skill with melee weapons in Planescape Torment. Years before the first Gothic came out.

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Make America Great Again Darth Roxorgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
  23. Lambachgender: ⚧ Arcane

Lambach
    Parrots:
    Should I start pumping Dex and Int from the start if I intend to join the Clerics or should I put some points in Con and Str first?

^ Top  
  24. Make America Great Again Darth Roxorgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    uh no they didnt

^ Top  
  25. Tygrendegender: ⚧ Educated

Tygrende
    Parrots:
    I would pump DEX/INT first to start using plasma rifles ASAP. You can find a good low level plasma rifle in the South Abessa Converter, requires 39 DEX and 27 INT. Alternatively you can find the traveling merchant next ot the Domed City and buy a standard plasma rifle from him, requires 41 DEX and 28 INT. Investing is DEX/INT early on is also good because of the ranged weapons skill and animal trophies.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)