Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

GloomFrost

Arcane
I ve noticed that some people really idealize combat system and balance in Gothics.

Gothics came out in early 2000s. Back then, melee combat in RPGs was stuff like Morrowind's click-attack-click-attack, Bioware's click once and continue attacking, or the more sophisticated click directionally-attack-click directionally-attack of Ultima Underworld/Daggerfall.

Then Gothics came and introduced a melee combat system where you could time your weapon block to parry the enemy and then counter-attack, where you could string attacks into fancy looking combos, and where increasing your weapon skill actually led to different, more efficient and cooler animations. This was years before Mount & Blade, and more than a decade before Witcher 3.

Some of you who have played them recently for the first time don't realize how revolutionary they were in terms of combat at that time, even if it's not very polished or perfect.
Oh WOW. Thats crazy. Thank you so much for telling me all that useful, interesting and relevant information.Because i never played anything before Elex and only tried gothic yesterday morning. Still not sure what its got to do with me saying that using jetpack to gain an advantage in combat is not that different from getting up on the hill and shooting enemies in Gothic. (and the could do nothing about it coz most enemies in Gothic did not have ranged attacks unlike Elex where almost everyone does!!!!).
P.S. Oh BTW animations changed after improving yours skill with melee weapons in Planescape Torment. Years before the first Gothic came out.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Should I start pumping Dex and Int from the start if I intend to join the Clerics or should I put some points in Con and Str first?
I would pump DEX/INT first to start using plasma rifles ASAP. You can find a good low level plasma rifle in the South Abessa Converter, requires 39 DEX and 27 INT. Alternatively you can find the traveling merchant next ot the Domed City and buy a standard plasma rifle from him, requires 41 DEX and 28 INT. Investing is DEX/INT early on is also good because of the ranged weapons skill and animal trophies.

Grimlorn

Arcane
i am supposed to find the code for
the missile launch base
?
or there is some enigma?
i don't understand what's the point of hack skill if i can find all the code in game.
Maybe it's different if you're a Cleric. I heard there is a quest with Eva in the Hort for it. The Four Houses clues give the 4 digit combo for the launch base. Although this isn't really made clear. Maybe you can figure it out from there.

Tigranes

Arcane
Should I start pumping Dex and Int from the start if I intend to join the Clerics or should I put some points in Con and Str first?

Alternatively just go INT/CUN for Black Hole & utility spells.

The climbing point costs after 30 then 60 means it's really easy for other skills to catch up and you'll end up doing that with almost all chars, so don't worry too much about it.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So, I just found out that the english translation is trash and largely different from the original german version. As a matter of fact all translations are trash since all of them are based on the english one.

TXKfwIQ.jpg

Logan's motivation for blowing up Hort is completly different. In the german version he considers Clerics to be even more dangerous than the Albs while in the english version he's just being a selfish asshole.
Can we get English translation of that last column?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Can we get English translation of that last column?

"Why the clerics, exactly?"
"They are the TRUE hypocrites of Magalan"
"Their greatest weapon is infiltration. They act behind your back and kill you before you can even notice that YOURSELF."
"They declare their false faith and behave as if they were the world police"
"They are much more dangerous than the Albs themselves."

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane

I'm assuming the 'translators' couldn't actually read German and nobody at PB could read English

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
World police? That's US nick name. Perhaps Merkle censored it in English to prevent an incident.

SlamDunk

Arcane
So, I just found out that the english translation is trash and largely different from the original german version. As a matter of fact all translations are trash since all of them are based on the english one.

TXKfwIQ.jpg

Logan's motivation for blowing up Hort is completly different. In the german version he considers Clerics to be even more dangerous than the Albs while in the english version he's just being a selfish asshole.
That's just... whoah...

Anyone up for the task of making a mod that gets the game properly translated into English?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

TXKfwIQ.jpg

That's just... whoah...

Anyone up for the task of making a mod that gets the game properly translated into English?

donate to my patreon

Incantatar

Cipher

TXKfwIQ.jpg

I posted about the translation. There are examples where the English translation is a lot better than the original script. They had a guy rewrite the whole dialogue. It's hard to say which is the preferable script. I played both for several hours and I had all in all more meh moments in English. Otoh who cares when the script isn't very good in the first place.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I would pump DEX/INT first to start using plasma rifles ASAP. You can find a good low level plasma rifle in the South Abessa Converter, requires 39 DEX and 27 INT. Alternatively you can find the traveling merchant next ot the Domed City and buy a standard plasma rifle from him, requires 41 DEX and 28 INT. Investing is DEX/INT early on is also good because of the ranged weapons skill and animal trophies.

This strikes me as a difficult way to play. If you intend to do ANY melee combat in the early to mid game, you need to put some points into STR. Even if you want a pure ranged build, you’ll need some STR to use a decent bow, so unless you want to be impotent until you get the plasma rifle, focusing exclusively on DEX/INT is a mistake.

By the time you get to level 7 or 8 it starts being fairly easy to pump your stats up very rapidly using elex potions, until you hit the wall at 60. That means in the early game you should invest in the stats you need immediately. You don’t really need to plan long term because of the elex potions. Although I do agree on the animal trophies skill, the first level of that can be taken from the getgo.

So I would focus on a non plasma rifle build, and then once you find some energy weapons, you’ll probably have the money to upgrade DEX/INT pretty fast.

Even if you want to hold off on all fighting until you get an energy weapon, the plasma rifle is NOT cost effective in the early game. 5 elexit per plasma cartridge really adds up if it’s the only weapon you’re using. Much cheaper to use a laser rifle or just stick with a bow. ONLY using a plasma rifle is really wasteful until you get animal trophies up to level 3.

Lambach

Arcane
This strikes me as a difficult way to play. If you intend to do ANY melee combat in the early to mid game, you need to put some points into STR. Even if you want a pure ranged build, you’ll need some STR to use a decent bow, so unless you want to be impotent until you get the plasma rifle, focusing exclusively on DEX/INT is a mistake.

By the time you get to level 7 or 8 it starts being fairly easy to pump your stats up very rapidly using elex potions, until you hit the wall at 60. That means in the early game you should invest in the stats you need immediately. You don’t really need to plan long term because of the elex potions. Although I do agree on the animal trophies skill, the first level of that can be taken from the getgo.

So I would focus on a non plasma rifle build, and then once you find some energy weapons, you’ll probably have the money to upgrade DEX/INT pretty fast.

Even if you want to hold off on all fighting until you get an energy weapon, the plasma rifle is NOT cost effective in the early game. 5 elexit per plasma cartridge really adds up if it’s the only weapon you’re using. Much cheaper to use a laser rifle or just stick with a bow. ONLY using a plasma rifle is really wasteful until you get animal trophies up to level 3.

Are there any consequences for chugging Elex potions? I saw some guy claiming it leads to a bad ending or something.

Xeon

Augur
I think someone said on this thread that he took enough potions to max his stats and his cold levels were still low.

Getting a re-translation of the game with the proper story and dialogue will be great, probably will be super confusing to play with english voices since they say the exact text tho.

razvedchiki

Erudite
"Even if you want to hold off on all fighting until you get an energy weapon, the plasma rifle is NOT cost effective in the early game. 5 elexit per plasma cartridge really adds up if it’s the only weapon you’re using. Much cheaper to use a laser rifle or just stick with a bow. ONLY using a plasma rifle is really wasteful until you get animal trophies up to level 3."

with the amount of elexit around it doesnt matter if the ammo costs 5 or 50 elexit per round,even with not stealing/fighting anything i had 20k elexit to spent on plasma cells when i first joined the clerics.

Tigranes

Arcane
Cold+, your level of cold determines options you can take

It's pretty odd that being "emotional" is considered a desired/positive trait in a video-game about a post-apocalyptic world with only scraps of resources that people relentlessly murder each other over.

Actually play the game a bit and you'll see why Albs are emotionless, why some people (not all) rate emotion, etc, and the game doesn't ever pontificate about importance of emotions (unless it does so in the Cold ending which I haven't seen yet).

I think someone said on this thread that he took enough potions to max his stats and his cold levels were still low.

Getting a re-translation of the game with the proper story and dialogue will be great, probably will be super confusing to play with english voices since they say the exact text tho.

It was bugged in v1 and potions didn't affect Cold.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Are there any consequences for chugging Elex potions? I saw some guy claiming it leads to a bad ending or something.

High cold means you are too rational, and too rational for some reasons prevents to make irrational decisions, which might lock you out of some dialogue options.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom