Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Zeriel

Arcane
Something here looks... not good.

13086930_941552032622183_674463562887702296_o.jpg

13087030_941552072622179_7992417366979177871_o.jpg

They've got floating grass. I can't even be mad. This is just hilarious. Who is left working at Piranha Bytes? It feels like their games are regressing several years worth of tech with every outing.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
A precious, limited resource that arrived with the meteor, Elex can power machines, open the door to magic, or re-sculpt life into new, different forms.

one word that crossed my mind after reading this: geneforge.

also, looks like the game is gonna revolve around magic vs technology

If you think it will be Geneforge meets Arcanum, don't hold your breath :D

Gord

Arcane
I always find the combination of melee and guns problematic unless there's some half-way plausible lore explanation (e.g. the shields in Dune) why I would want to attack someone with a sword instead of a rifle.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Fuck you guys. Don't destroy my hope of being it at least Risen 1/Gothic 3 quality.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I always find the combination of melee and guns problematic unless there's some half-way plausible lore explanation (e.g. the shields in Dune) why I would want to attack someone with a sword instead of a rifle.

Because it's cool ;)

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The more I see of this game, the more it looks like some sort of Teutonic He-Man ripoff.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Those concept screens are great.

I have a feeling the game will turn out to be a gem.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
well, there's still little hope. the only PB games that i doesnt enjoy much is risen 2 imo. risen 1 is amazing and just behind gothic 1, risen 3 is ok, but 2 is the worst.
of all PB games i would rate:

gtohic 2 + NOTR > gothic 1 > risen 1 > risen 3 > risen 2. havent played G3 yet

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I would like they cut of melee combat. It's not competitive with this date games. But as a shooter and good narrative, ELEX could work as Fallout/Mass effect brother.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

This. There's a reason modern day marines don't carry swords and halberds.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I would like they cut of melee combat. It's not competitive with this date games. But as a shooter and good narrative, ELEX could work as Fallout/Mass effect brother.

What makes you think their shooter combat is any better than their melee combat? They will both be serviceable at most, Skyrim level probably.

They still carry combat knives and dual-use spades and history tells us then when the need arises, they'll make makeshift clubs an, lances and spears. Also not all people in the game are professional soldiers (marines) but bandits, average citizens and the like. I think the more organized military forces will have a greater emphasis on modern ranged weapons, if their particular ideology permits it of course.

The swords melee guys will probably be the barbarians, which don't use modern tech, but magic.

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
well, there's still little hope. the only PB games that i doesnt enjoy much is risen 2 imo. risen 1 is amazing and just behind gothic 1, risen 3 is ok, but 2 is the worst.
of all PB games i would rate:

Id go Gothic 1 > Risen 1 > Gothic 2 > Risen 2 = Risen 3 > Gothic 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>> Most other RPGs.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

They still carry combat knives

They are supposed to carry knives but many tell you in private they rarely bother because they're useless anyway and only dead weight. If a soldier does carry a knife and does use it, it's never in combat.

That's the point - you don't need a caveman weapon when you have your SCAR slung over the shoulder. If I see a SF game with a soldier carrying a "futuristic" sword I only roll my eyes.

Patched Gothic 3 is almost on par with NOTR.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
What makes you think their shooter combat is any better than their melee combat?
Shooter mechanic is easier to implement in the game engine than melee. For the Mass effect style shooter you need to have good particle system and physics system. For the melee you need to create additional animations and variety of them.

They will both be serviceable at most, Skyrim level probably.
It would be nice, if it will be as Skyrim's. We will yet to see in coming months.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
That's the point - you don't need a caveman weapon when you have your SCAR slung over the shoulder. If I see a SF game with a soldier carrying a "futuristic" sword I only roll my eyes.
Bro a caveman weapon can alsways come in handy. You never know. You run out of ammo, weapon jams, weapon breaks, you lose it etc etc.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
How is Risen 1 not quality you shmuck?

░░░░░░░░░░░█▀▀░░█░░░░░
░░░░░░▄▀▀▀▀░░░░░█▄▄░░░
░░░░░░█░█░░░░░░░░░░▐░░
░░░░░░▐▐░░░░░░░░░▄░▐░░
░░░░░░█░░░░░░░░▄▀▀░▐░░
░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░▐░▄▄▀░░░
░░▄▀░░░▐░░░░░█▄▀░▐░░░░
░░█░░░▐░░░░░░░░▄░█░░░░
░░░█▄░░▀▄░░░░▄▀▐░█░░░░
░░░█▐▀▀▀░▀▀▀▀░░▐░█░░░░
░░▐█▐▄░░▀░░░░░░▐░█▄▄░░
░░░▀▀░▄Risen▄░▐▄▄▄▀░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Gord

Arcane
They still carry combat knives

I think one can - kinda - make it work in various ways in a game. Gameplay-wise anyway and plausibility-wise as well, if they come up with some not too-idiotic reason why I would want to use swords.
E.g. extreme scarcity of guns and ammo. Or Dune-like shield technology that renders some enemies immune to guns, but not to melee weapons.
But I wonder if they will bother with it or just include swords for the sake of typical PB combat and coolness.

Patched Gothic 3 is almost on par with NOTR.

Personally I liked G3+community patches, but got burned out on it after slogging through Nordmar. G2+NOTR kept my interest till the end.
But it's worth giving it a try.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

They don't have power armor or superhuman augs?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom