Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eador Genesis

Old One

Arcane
Just trying a run with a Warrior. I've never really tried them, since I've always thought them kind of boring compared to Wizards and Commanders.
They're more active than most other heroes. As others have said, they can solo fights and become powerful really quickly. Depending on what gear you find for them, they can start soloing fights early on in the game, too.

They'll never be as fun as a level 30 Archmage, IMO, but that's not a big criticism. They're certainly worth trying.

As for map size, I hardly ever play anything besides campaign, so I don't get much say in how big the shards might be.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Have you heard about price of repairs of gear for warrior? And that before you encounter spiders and slugs.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I love the game so far (I've won 2-3 tiny shards) but I'm having trouble with the difficulty. I tried on the medium setting difficulty from the start but got destroyed. What are some tips on playing? I feel like the game takes a lot longer than other TBS I'm used to to get to the point where you can leave your starting area and not lose a combat immediately.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Repair costs are trivial, and you can avoid spiders and slugs until they become trivial as well, they're not that common. The real problems early on are shamans and thieves. Magic resistance is hard to get early on, and poison hurts bad until you get a ton of regen or lifesteal. And you'll get ambushed by both fairly often while exploring. Some basic magic can help out though. Once you hit level 10 is when things really take off and you can handle most anything.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If by medium you mean expert (the difficulty where neutrals have full health), then it's super hard to play until you know unit strength and which provinces/location you can safely attack. The best T1 units are swordsmen for the good side and barbarians for the evil side, swordsmen are easier to use because they have very good armor and parry, barbarians need more positioning and aggressive play. If you're playing with the NH mod some things are different (magic is changed, the economy is a little more forgiving, some neutral provinces are much stronger, non-human races are completely different).
Scouts are my favorite choice for the first hero, with ranged attack and support from swordsmen or barbarians you can take most early provinces and location with minimal loses, plus diplomacy can win you over some provinces you couldn't take otherwise.
I don't like warriors personally but they can get very strong very fast, they're just a little cheesy, you stack as much attack/armor/stamina as you can and hit thing with a sword until they die.
Commanders are tricky because you need a lot of money to support a big army but if you can afford them they can be great, especially once you reach tier 2 units (must be unlocked in the campaign first) and every other hero still struggles with a tiny army and bad equipment.
Wizards take the longest to get really powerful but high-level wizards are OP as hell. I don't really like recruiting wizards blindly or as the first hero because IMO you're at the mercy of scrolls you find (developing mage guilds costs a fortune) but if you know what you're doing they're eventually great. Probably the hardest class to play.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Is there an english translation of the NH mod? I don't know anything about the modding scene for Eador Genesis since it looks almost all russian.

Hmm I'm not impressed with Warriors. You can't lead big armies, and it wasn't until level 13 that i got my first Level 2 spell slot.

So they seem very item dependent. Maybe I was just unlucky that i only found standard gear.

Here he is in all his glory:

VvFPBsx.jpg

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
English version of NH:
http://eador.com/B2/viewtopic.php?p=267632#267632
The most up to date version is still Russian only. I've been playing it recently but my Russian is so rusty it takes me minutes to understand what am I supposed to choose in events, it's a pain in the ass. The new version is mostly overhauled magic schools and reworked goblin and ratmen factions.

Edit: warriors absolutely are item dependent but by level 14 you should be able to afford tier 2 craftsmen and buy a two-handed sword and a scale mail. Other than that, pray for good loot or a weapon shop in one of the provinces. That's why I prefer scouts and commanders, even if you don't get any good items for your class you can still buff your troops or use scouting skill.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

You also seem to have made some questionable choices in levelling up. Holy Knight is a solid class change, but blacksmithing is a terrible skill and you don't want to get resistance that early if you can avoid it. As for gear, certain kinda of encounters have better odds of dropping warrior gear. Wizard towers are awful for example, and likely to have spell scrolls instead. Minotaur mazes can drop some of the endgame stuff, either from winning fights or getting lucky enough to find the treasure room. By level 10 or so you should be starting to find the mid tier stuff like paladin armours and at the very least have most of your slots filled with knight or soldier gear.

Kayerts

Arcane
Hmm I'm not impressed with Warriors. You can't lead big armies, and it wasn't until level 13 that i got my first Level 2 spell slot.

So they seem very item dependent. Maybe I was just unlucky that i only found standard gear.

I realize in retrospect that "lol just pick a solo warrior" was misleadingly simple advice. Here's a mini-guide for the base game + overlord difficulty:

Concept:

Since the damage output of a single character is never going to competitive with an army's, the solo warrior's main strength is going to be his ability to mitigate incoming damage. You can reach the point where T1 and T2 units can't hurt you, and T3+ units can't hurt you enough.

For class, berserker is going to be the optimal choice 100% of the time. There are a few reasons for this: first, your skills are stats and continuously get better, and two extra ranks really let you play your hero concept to the fullest. Second, the vampirism+round attack combo is better than anything hybrid classes can give you.

For skill build, it's obviously going to vary every game, but you will usually to prioritize getting to athletics 2 for the recuperation bonus, followed by armor, parry/precise strike, attack boosts, and willpower/constitution. Regeneration from high-level constitution is theoretically good, but 3 points in any of the above skills will make you strong against T1/T2 units, and fights against T3 units usually don't last long enough for it to be very relevant. You don't want to put any points in blacksmithing, if you can avoid it.

Gearing a warrior properly is going to be as expensive as maintaining an army, at least through the midgame. You have a few priorities that remain constant throughout most maps:

TIER 1:
Goal: Get the initial +4/4 plate armor from the Tier 1 armor shop. Aiming straight for this is only going to be a good idea if you get lucky events or placement early, so pick what you need from the below:
Tier 1 life magic: the cure wounds spell is nice, and casting it at the end of fights lets you move onto the next battle with less delay.
Crystal: Quests speed up your early game development. You mostly want this for the XP, but the gold's good, too.
Chain mail: Get it if you're struggling to get the plate armor; otherwise, skip.

General plan: buy as many barbarians as you can, take the fights you can win, try to last hit enemies with your warrior to get more XP, try to tank with disposable barbarians.

TIER 2:
Goal: Get strong enough to start cracking second ring provinces. When this will happen varies; usually, it's at a high single digit XP level.
Level up your weapons and armor shops; ideally, you'll want mithril plate and the knight's armor set, but you definitely don't need all of that to hit the second ring.
Get the astral energy spell for magic using enemies, ghouls, and general stamina regen.

TIER 3:
Goal: Conquer as much as you can.
Being able to cast vampirism is a large power spike. You can start fighting small numbers of scary T3 units (ogres, maybe trolls) when you do. (You will already have been able to fight executioners and knights by this point.)
We maxed out the reliably accessible armor and weapons, so be on the lookout for map-specific upgrades. Shops are great for this; labyrinths also work, if they're on your map. Once you hit level 20+, you can potentially beat solo dragons, if you bring lots of chaff to absorb their hits.
Special note: poison spam ruins warriors. When you get the phoenix event, you need to make a cloak out of its feathers. When you start to get in the turn neighborhood, make sure you've got the requisite 500 gold and space in your treasury at all times.

GOD TIER:
There isn't a real strategic reason to reach this power level because you should be able to win long before you get to this point, but if you really want to start cracking multidragon lairs:
Farm the Hammer of the Creator and 1-2 vampire rings. They're legendary items, so you need to hit cults or (smaller) T4 lairs to have a chance of getting them.

Edit: Fighting

Against masses of primarily melee enemies, it's usually best to wait in the upper left corner, where they can only attack you two at a time. Don't do this if the enemy has heavy ranged support. Berserker can help you fight at sub-50% HP, but try to keep your stamina above 5. Big, slow enemies can be tired out by running around the map, if they're the only ones left.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Here he is in all his glory:

VvFPBsx.jpg
That's a commander. Give him some units. I remember how with similar I gave him five balistas and ripped enemies apart.

Damned Registrations

Some solid advice for the solo warrior cheese, but I'd add a few things:

-You want T1 elemental magic. Haste is great early on when your speed and stamina are balls, Slow is disgustingly good against a lot of otherwise terrifying T2 units or those pesky bowmen, it'll bring their stamina all the way down to 0, which ties in a bit to...
-Keep a weapon around for abusing enemy stamina. Early on these are +1 stunning blow, which doesn't get you too far, but crippling strike or +2 stunning (or both!) are solid and will let you kill things you probably shouldn't have a shot at like hydras or trolls.
-Berserker isn't your only option, though it's the least item dependant. Holy Knight goes from being mediocre to godly when you hit level 20. Going from level 10 to 20 isn't actually that hard because at that point you can solo clear a lot of stuff so the levels come fairly quickly. I'd probably pick this route when I got lucky with early gear drops. The ranger hybrid is also viable, because you can cheese a lot of stuff with bows and it gets some good passive traits like the terrain bonuses and the actual class perks like poison weapons. Again, I'd probably opt for this if I got a good bow to drop early or have access to one in a shop.
-Just because you're dumping all your resources into the warrior doesn't mean you don't want other heroes. Pick up a scout fairly early when you can spare the gold just to explore, it'll keep sources of xp in the queue for your warrior to gobble up. Eventually you'll have some kick ass dropped gear for the ranger by coincidence and he'll be a useful secondary hero.
-Rely on your cannon fodder whenever you need to. I like spearmen, they're pretty versatile and cheap. They're good for exhausting slow strong enemies, rushing down shamans or bowmen, and all sorts of other shit. Just be careful not to give away a bunch of free morale without actually gaining anything.
-Don't forget you can swap weapons during combat, including the shields. Can make a big difference whether it's early on for that extra point of range or melee armour by using the right shield, or late game by swapping to the right weapon for their various special benefits.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
What I've been doing so far (tiny shards only) to win is the following.

-Warrior for first hero
-Buy 2 swordsman and one healer, put healer surrounded by warrior and swordsman to have lossless fights
-Get the demon magic and have 4 of the one that takes out ammo for damage to remove ranged weakness

-Warrior for first hero
-Buy 2 swordsman and one healer, put healer surrounded by warrior and swordsman to have lossless fights
-Get the demon magic and have 4 of the one that takes out ammo for damage to remove ranged weakness

Just have in mind that "demon magic" is Evil, so it will contribute to shifting your alignment when you use it.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

-Warrior for first hero

Just have in mind that "demon magic" is Evil, so it will contribute to shifting your alignment when you use it.
Is necromancy magic also evil? Because free zombies and skeletons is the only way I've found that lets me win combat for a low level wizard.

-Warrior for first hero

Is necromancy magic also evil? Because free zombies and skeletons is the only way I've found that lets me win combat for a low level wizard.

It sure is. There's nothing wrong with having an Evil hero, as long as your troops are of evil alignment as well.

You can make a Necromancer hero, and he will eventually get an extremely nasty army

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

-Warrior for first hero

It sure is. There's nothing wrong with having an Evil hero, as long as your troops are of evil alignment as well.

You can make a Necromancer hero, and he will eventually get an extremely nasty army
But if I use evil stuff like that then my alignment will start becoming evil, according to the wizard guy I just met in the campaign.

Old One

Arcane
But if I use evil stuff like that then my alignment will start becoming evil, according to the wizard guy I just met in the campaign.
Yes, that's true. You can get away with a small amount of it though, assuming you want to be mostly good. Being pure good means never using Necromancy or Chaos magic, so there's a price to pay.

I'm actually really satisfied with the way alignment works in the game. Doing Evil deeds often yield great rewards (like robbing the seafaring traders), but your provinces will often have a higher level of unrest.

Last edited:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Didn't read the 35 pages so whats the general consensus on archery heroes?
Good for a utility hero to clean up provinces and scout. From my experience, warrior is the best if you want a starting hero to start winning battles immediately, and wizard/commander are better for late game heros, since wizards get amazing and commanders stack up so many troop boosts.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

-Warrior for first hero

Vampirism is 5 evil points. Skelleton only 1. Ghouls are massive drain when you casting them 3x per combat.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Didn't read the 35 pages so whats the general consensus on archery heroes?
Good for a utility hero to clean up provinces and scout. From my experience, warrior is the best if you want a starting hero to start winning battles immediately, and wizard/commander are better for late game heros, since wizards get amazing and commanders stack up so many troop boosts.

Really? I had better results with a scout and web to win early battles with bigger monsters.

I also really like the mobility scouts give. Warriors seem to be very item dependent.

You just need Pikemen or Barbs, depending on whether you want to go offensive or defensive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom