Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dying Light

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It's just a pity that late game the challenge completely disappears. Now I just one-shot most enemies. It was a nice survival horror in the beginning and you really had to pick your fights carefully.

Yup. At the beginning it feels like a mad scramble at most times and downright terrifying at night. Near the end my pc is however yet another zombie slaying demigod. Meh.

Still, game is good shallow fun. Much better than most reviews seem to indicate.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Would be great if they kept the difficulty around midrange and made it more about scavenging but... oh well. Still pretty funny to toss explosive firecracker bombs down and watch clump of zombies get blown into the air. It definitely gravitates towards Dead Rising level near the end.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
It's actually odd, considering Dead Island had level-scaling. It's not a perfect solution, but in an action game like this it could have been nice if it was handled subtly.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Granted I haven't finished yet but the substitute for level scaling seems to be higher density of zombies and a greater percentage of the 'aggressive' ones. Also using firearms and explosives draws more aggressive ones, too. Even at a high level with a good weapon combat stamina limits your ability to infinitely club things on the head. I prefer it to level scaling which renders player leveling meaningless. Here, at least there is some moderate form of difficulty curve and a noticeable power progression between those three 'trees.'

On a slightly different topic; Dead Island 2 (being made by the Spec Ops developers) totally abandons any form of narrative and is apparently just an 'infinite' coop shooter where you're given randomized quests at the same locations over and over again. I'm guessing it'll probably make use of level scaling.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
I don't understand how you can make one of the most beautifully dense and art asset rich cities I've ever seen, yet fill it with retarded polack quests. How nobody at deep silver didn't go up to them and say "guys, you're writing absolute trash here, sort this shit out" I'll never know.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well this one was published by Warner Brothers after Derp Silver dropped them. Still... I imagine the publisher doesn't care. It's CINEMATIC with a GRIPPING NARRATIVE. Technical issues aside if you look at the reviews/feedback people think the game is AMAAAAAAAAAAAZING GTOY 10/10. The vast majority of the gaming audience doesn't want a true survival game.

bonescraper

It's dumb, mindless fun. If you expected anything else, the joke's on you. Of course this could be so much more, but it's Techland who made this game, not fucking Obsidian.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Oh, I also played some coop and found it underwhelming. The game just isn't designed for coop with having to wait for people to click on objectives and such. And two or more people versus the zombies is total overkill. But, of course, the gamerzzzzzzzz demand multiplayer.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
QTE final boss fight... I guess it's not surprising since the other boss fights were shit. Game itself is okay, sort of like DXHR in that regard. Steam says 31 hours but I know that's never accurate so let's call it 25ish with about a little over half of the side quests done. When you beat the game you can go back and do the leftover sidequests but I doubt I'll bother. No big loss if they happen to remove the game from my account because of Russian connections... I'm pretty much done with it.

uaciaut

Augur
It's just a pity that late game the challenge completely disappears. Now I just one-shot most enemies. It was a nice survival horror in the beginning and you really had to pick your fights carefully.

Yep, this. Game still has a shitload of flaws but i actually found it quite fun to play with a few other people in multiplayer. The only thing i found was keeping it floating was the fact that night time really did turn it into a bit of a horror-esque FPS, that element just gets dumped when you get high enough in levels.

Other than that if they could actually remove all the MMO-type fetch quests, tweak the plot a bit so it's still cheesy (it can't NOT be cheesy as a zombie survival game, but it can be tolerable), make skill choice more meaningful (i.e. not give you access to all skills) and make weapon choices more meaningful and it would be a pretty decent game.
Oh well.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I made the sad mistake of buying this game last night and I'm here to warn people who might be thinking about buying it for the same reasons I did to not do it.

Here's why I did:

- I wanted a graphics whore game to replace Metro: Last Light (whose graphics are amazing, but the game itself sucks)
- I read this thread and took from it that the game has some downsides but is generally fairly good
- I watched several videos and I read several reviews from sites that I used to trust like PC Gamer where it seems to be generally respected
- I just wanted a new good-looking game with some semblance of decent gameplay behind it

Here's why I intensely dislike it so far. These are mostly technical issues, which defeat a large portion of the decision to have purchased it in the first place:

- The graphics are actually quite ugly in-game. I knew going in that this was a console port, but not all console ports seem to look as good in review videos online but as buttshit ugly as this one on your own screen. While you're treated right away with some of the distracting features like DoF and motion blur, lens flaring, etc., it just takes a moment of staring at the actual objects in the world to see that they're all fuzzy, simplistic, and very console-like. The game is just generally not crisp like a Metro is, even with AA disabled. It's a muddy mess, along with its very last-gen textures. I was immediately turned off.

- The game engine is very quirky. Again, I went in knowing what I thought was enough about the game to expect some consolitis, some amount of non-optimization for PC, but it's pretty jarring when you first boot up. Your FPS can vary wildly just in the opening menu and only after some careful tweaking of the SLI bits in Nvidia Inspector was I able to stabilize things. Now the framerate is solid, but there are still inexplicable framerate dips even though I'm running 4GB VRAM in my 760's. It just feels sloppy.

- The characters in the game aren't done very well. You would think that a game that relies on SUPER ZOOM mode when you're talking to "NPC's", sort of like in Skyrim, would take extra care to make sure that things like lip-syncing (which is laughably bad) and shadowing around things like noses and elsewhere would be a priority, especially in the beginning stages of the game. They're not. I really feel like the thing is just best played on a PS4 where you're far enough from the screen to not really give a shit. Just more ugliness.

I haven't even made it to the outside yet, so I'll keep going, but I regretted this purchase about 15 minutes in. I keep telling myself never to buy anything that's been ported, but it seems like that's all we're getting anymore.

So just fair warning. Wait until there's a demo or just pass on this one if you're looking for a pretty game.

Update: As of the newest patch, 1.4.0, the game's performance has been improved. Gone are the random drops in FPS, so a much smoother experience can be had, distracting less. The graphics quality hasn't improved, but at least now the game feels responsive at all times.

Update 2: Yeah, this patch helped dramatically. I can see much improved CPU usage across all cores now, and unless I'm crazy, the game even looks better now. I may have judged too harshly too quickly.

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Fuck you. It's not a review you mouth-breathing simpleton. It's an initial impressions post that clearly spells out its intent, to warn people.

"Bro", NeoGAF is thatta way.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Moar liek a waste of time, you retarded virgin fuck.

Lack of fucking pussy turns you into a hysterical bitch, the irony.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
You complain about wastes of time yet you take the time to post this useless shit. I'm trying to help people avoid what I think is a bad game. Keep your pointless opinion to yourself if you have nothing to add.

uaciaut

Augur
- I read this thread and took from it that the game has some downsides but is generally fairly good

Rest of your post notwithstanding, where did you get that idea, if anything this thread makesi t sound like it has some upsides but is generally fairly bad.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I amended my earlier comments. The game seems much improved with the 1.4 patch and it's starting to grow on me. Still holding out for final opinion, but I may have been a little hasty in my initial damning of the game. Mea culpa and all that shit.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's shit and you overpaid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom