Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeons of Dredmor: Available NOW on Steam!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
:M

Luzur

Good Sir
orao said:
Metro said:
I bought about a dozen or so games in the Summer Sale and so far have only played Terraria.

Need I remind you of... this?

pj59d.jpg

...Qwinn?

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Jaesun said:
What are you expecting from a 5$ game? Dragon Gay Elf Sex Age?

I hate this reasoning for defending games.

I'd rather have a good game for 25$ than a mediocre one for 5$.

Because either way you're investing time into the game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
PorkaMorka said:
Jaesun said:

You are the absolute authority on what constitutes a "good" or "bad" game?

I hate to break this to you hon... but you are not.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Moreover, a game can still be 'good' relative to its price. Could it have a lot more features, randomization, depth, etc? Sure, but we're talking about a $5 game. That's $5 list price so in the not so distant future you can probably get it for $1ish during a sale.

And, as noted, the developers are active and seem to be addressing the issues pretty swiftly.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Jaesun said:
PorkaMorka said:
Jaesun said:

Way to miss the point.

I don't have any idea if this is a good game or not, I'm waiting for the non steam release.

What I objected to was the part where you said that we should lower our standards/expectations if a game has a low price.

If you're willing to accept mediocrity just because it is cheap, I guess you place a pretty low value on your free time.

I'm much more concerned about a game being worth the time than worth the money.

larpingdude18

Educated
Luzur said:
orao said:
Metro said:
I bought about a dozen or so games in the Summer Sale and so far have only played Terraria.

Need I remind you of... this?

http://i.imgur.com/pj59d.jpg

...Qwinn?
The Art of Touching a Woman
by ~apoet001

Like a hand in rushing water,
a cool and tangible surface,
like a hand out a car window,
the wind controlling its movement,
like a hand upon green grass,
as you watch it bend in softness,
like a hand touching fire,
every moment leaves a mark,
like a hand in the frozen snow,
your warmth could melt it all,

gently,
slowly,
specifically,
all detail matters,
and every inch is art,
I could tell you about a reason,
to love a moment like this,
but its better left,
unsaid,

for a touch is worth a thousand words,
and pictures just don’t matter anymore,
for only a memory of your touch,
can bring that look to her face,
and that longing,
to her eyes.

Tormented Seph

Scholar
PorkaMorka said:
Jaesun said:
Way to miss the point.

I don't have any idea if this is a good game or not, I'm waiting for the non steam release.

What I objected to was the part where you said that we should lower our standards/expectations if a game has a low price.

If you're willing to accept mediocrity just because it is cheap, I guess you place a pretty low value on your free time.

Come on man, this game it's funny for what it represents...a funny Hack'n'Slash/Roguelike...

Random dungeon, a lot of skills to use, a very good skilltree, a lot of funny irony, a lot of funny equipments, a lot of funny monsters, a lot of ways to use the skills, and so on...
What do you expect? A Diablo 4???

Come on....... :smug:

7hm

Scholar
PorkaMorka said:
Jaesun said:
PorkaMorka said:
Jaesun said:

Way to miss the point.

Uh... if it's no good, I wasted the price of the game and the couple minutes it took me to figure out it was no good.

Thus, I wasted the price of the game. It's 4.50$, big fucking deal.

It's a good game though so I wouldn't worry about it. I'm actually mad it's only 4.50$ - these guys deserve more for their efforts. I'll probably gift a copy or two.

Redlands

Arcane
Tormented Seph said:
Come on man, this game it's funny for what it represents...a funny Hack'n'Slash/Roguelike...

Random dungeon, a lot of skills to use, a very good skilltree, a lot of funny irony, a lot of funny equipments, a lot of funny monsters, a lot of ways to use the skills, and so on...
What do you expect? A Diablo 4???

Come on....... :smug:

Sorry to break it to you, but "funny" is subjective. One person's funny is another person's "annoying", and when game designers try to be funny and it's not in line with what you find funny it will put you off from playing it.

Case in point: Portal 2. The fact that it was weak on the puzzle front was bad enough - though this is a puzzle platformer and those aren't really that challenging so I guess I'm expecting a bit much from that - but tack on the fact that I find both GlaDOS and Wheatley to be annoying would have really pissed me off if I had gotten it instead of watching someone else playing it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
PorkaMorka said:
Jaesun said:
PorkaMorka said:
Jaesun said:

Way to miss the point.

Quoting for posterity.

:salute:

Tormented Seph

Scholar
Redlands said:
Sorry to break it to you, but "funny" is subjective. One person's funny is another person's "annoying", and when game designers try to be funny and it's not in line with what you find funny it will put you off from playing it.
So thinking in those terms any discussion on any forum is useless, because we can justify every point of view with a nice "de gustibus non disputandum est"...

Developers cannot know what it means for you "fun", then try to follow a certain path and hope that people like it in that way ...
The game is a just a "parody" that try to take the piss out of all the typical stereotypes of the Hack/Roguelike...this is the main reason why people could find it fun to play...

Nope

Liturgist
Tormented Seph said:
The game is a just a "parody" that try to take the piss out of all the typical stereotypes of the Hack/Roguelike...this is the main reason why people could find it fun to play...
There's nothing like that in there. It's almost all reference humor added on top of a straight, if extremely simplistic, roguelike.

Tormented Seph

Scholar
Nope said:
Tormented Seph said:
There's nothing like that in there. It's almost all reference humor added on top of a straight, if extremely simplistic, roguelike.
And this is bad for you?
There's humor, so it's a sort of little parody of Hack/Roguelike. That's it.

Do you like this aspect? $5 for the Indies and and a nice "fuck you!" to all those shitty Hack'n'Slash that have come out in recent years at a cost of $ 50! :salute:

Don't you like it? Good, you saved $5, and you could buy a pack of condoms to have fun with some young lady! Fuck yeah! :lol:

Nope

Liturgist
Tormented Seph said:
There's humor, so it's a sort of little parody of Hack/Roguelike. That's it.
That's not what parody means.
And Nethack, arguably the most iconic of all roguelikes, is well known partly due to its humor.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
7hm said:
Uh... if it's no good, I wasted the price of the game and the couple minutes it took me to figure out it was no good.

It's a good game though so I wouldn't worry about it. I'm actually mad it's only 4.50$ - these guys deserve more for their efforts. I'll probably gift a copy or two.

With RPGs it usually takes at least a few hours to really judge how good a game it is, since the early game is often intentionally made easier and simpler than the rest of the game. If you judged most RPGs within the few minutes you'd think mages only got one spell! Even Crawl looks kind of bad in the early game.

So usually getting an accurate sense of whether or not an RPG sucks involves wasting most of an evening.

I agree with you about wishing it cost more than $4.50 though.That's just disturbing.

7hm

Scholar
PorkaMorka said:
7hm said:

With RPGs it usually takes at least a few hours to really judge how good a game it is, since the early game is often intentionally made easier and simpler than the rest of the game. If you judged most RPGs within the few minutes you'd think mages only got one spell! Even Crawl looks kind of bad in the early game.

So usually getting an accurate sense of whether or not an RPG sucks involves wasting most of an evening.

I agree with you about wishing it cost more than $4.50 though.That's just disturbing.

I'm 100% with Vogel on the pricing. I hate the drive to the bottom that indies seem inclined towards. The crazy steam sales create this mentality, as does the attitude a lot of gamers have that if a AAA title with amazing graphics is worth 50$, then a title with terrible graphics can't be worth more than 1/10th of that. When in reality I pay to play the game, not to look at some pretty images / videos and graphics don't mean shit beyond bare bones functionality.

Redlands

Arcane
Nope said:
Tormented Seph said:

That's sounds even worse. Reference humour is just way too overused in geek culture nowadays.

And at Tormented Seph: My point was that humour is subjective, so using it repeatedly as a selling point isn't really that helpful. Sure, mention the game mechanics that you think are good, and mention you find it funny, but you only need to do it once. Otherwise it sounds like a trying-hard-to-be-funny-instead-of-fun game.

And regarding pricing: This is one of the reasons why I think Steam sales are a double-edged swords.

* AAA developers/producers have to take these sales into account, and with the customers essentially expecting more for less, it'll make them even less risk-averse than before (though really I don't have any hope for them at all anyway, so kind of redundant).
* Indie developers have a general "indie price range" of $5-10 imposed on them before they get dismissed. It's not going to really increase the size of the niche markets, but it will drive down the price: essentially giving developers less money and thus less impeteus to make these games.
* Consumers now able to buy AAA-level graphic-containing games at these same prices in sales are going to start judging indie games at these levels. Even at the Codex, there's a lot of people who talk the talk but don't walk the walk when it comes to not being graphic whores. It's going to raise expectations for what indies can accomplish graphically if they're being compared price-wise to the big boys, so more are going to end up going the same route.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I agree that DoD is worth more money than the 4.99 (4.49 on current discount) that it's being sold for, but at the same time, I think it's ridiculously fun for the price and there are a lot of people who wouldn't have given it a chance at a higher price point. Seriously though, if a person isn't willing to check it out at under $5, they're really not interested in the first place. I've spent 4 hours with the game and already feel like I've gotten my money's worth.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I fail to see a problem with the aggregate lowering of PC gaming prices. Unfortunately while the reality is that most AAA crap will never lower in price because people preorder in droves I don't believe the necessary balancing is for indie games to cost $50, too. Indie developers price their games at relatively low prices to attract a broader audience. They also don't have the same production/development costs -- not that the huge AAA budgets are spent wisely, they're usually pissed away on marketing or random celebrity voice acting. In the end, a reasonably or even cheaply priced indie game will give more revenue to the developer than an expensive one. If you feel guilty, mail them a check. Or they can adopt a system similar to Tripwire and Killing Floor: sell aesthetic upgrades like character skins as a way for people to donate.

It's irrelevant to me whether developers have a modest profit margin or a lucrative one. The only thing that matters as a player of good indie games is that they generate enough commercial success to produce sequels/similar quality games. If they can do that below the $25ish price point, so be it.

Teepo

Scholar
Like someone said the humor is hit or miss, but if you're intelligent when it hits, it is funny.

One of the damage types (fire dmg, ice dmg etc.) is existential damage which bypasses enemy armor (if it exists) and damages them (if they exist.) In general, makes fun of existentialism.

:thumbsup:

What I do not like is how long it takes to clear one level of the dungeon. God forbid you have to sell some stuff and go to the shop. Moving around takes ages so clearing floor on takes a couple hours due to walking.

The stats are well written.

I don't really know what mid game is like so I can't judge the game too much yet....

Making your own classes is one of the best parts. I am really curious as to if this game is bad or good. It's hard to tell. It depends on if end and mid game is good.

I'm worried about the total picture. Is it a polished game or is it an unfinished product? I can't tell.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's 'playable' but at this stage there are still some bugs/crashes and a lot of balance issues they haven't even gotten to yet. Give it a couple of months.

Teepo

Scholar
I've had zero bug issues, but cant tell if the game is deep enough for me to invest time into it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom