Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Rats - first impressions and general feedback

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i finished the game. well, that last fight was fucking hardcore. murderous psychopath diff. 2 companions, dodge, hammer, crafting

1982F2647ED93A04786431D07688A2C76F5DCCF3

originally 7/8/7/8/4/6 but the upgrade machine helped a FUCKING LOT. as you can see the bodies are piled up on the door.

i almost tear my hair out then i figured

"oh wait, you can enter the house!"

so i go there, have roxanna poison, the duck, poison then duck when they go near, close the door and wait for enemy open it, that cost them 4 AP.

then my guy and marcus go forward and knock them, go back and close the door. repeat

kinda cheating i know, but well i won.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
He is disposable, but he wouldn’t be crazy to take your side over his former boss with a bigger team
Then the bigger nonsense is that you can kill 'em all!

You are confusing unreal achievements you can do as a cRPG player with the presentation of scripted scenarios that aim to have a degree of plausibility. The first one involves a degree of suspension of belief that shouldn’t be applied in the second.

having helped you kill some bums and fuckhuge ants and scorpions maybe dudes realise that the odds are better with you than with barca (justifiably, since you kill him), plus there's greater potential for upwards advancement in your company

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Ok, but he should at least said something before the fight. Just stand there in mute mode is ridiculous.

Black Angel

Arcane
Ok, but he should at least said something before the fight. Just stand there in mute mode is ridiculous.
Wait, ain't Marcus actually said something before the fight? Something like him having a better chance if he go with us? Had this with 8 CHA, though, so I wouldn't know what would it be if I had less.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
There is a dialogue with Marcus, as for the rest, Vince has explained that they were expandable (Marcus too, hence Barca offered his help) and not in the inner circle of his most trusted men.
Wait, ain't Marcus actually said something before the fight? Something like him having a better chance if he go with us? Had this with 8 CHA, though, so I wouldn't know what would it be if I had less.
"You're my only chance to get out of here, so I'm with you all the way."

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The way I see this situation, Barca and his most trusted men are content with lording over that small slice of heaven as long as they don't have to break their own backs mining ore. They don't have real strength but they control the elevator and thus the food supply. The three disposable guards aren't part of the inner circle, so they are the first to die in case of any disturbance. Marcus is the guy doing most heavy lifting when it comes to fighting but he isn't part of the inner circle either because he's a potential threat. Alone, he can't challenge Barca. Then you come along, do what Barca wants, then he decides it's time to take you out because you're now a threat bigger than Marcus. So now it's a decision time for everyone who isn't part of the inner circle.

They side with Barca, it's unlikely that things would change, so it's back to status quo. They side with you, they side with someone who might take them to a better place, maybe make them part of the inner circle. So, the logic is there. Should they all say something, declare their undying loyalty and explain the motivations, while criticizing Barca's poor leadership and people skills? I think that would be too much.

Mozg

Arcane
Also gotta understand these guys probably have a pretty casual attitude towards living any longer without some serious improvement in their fortunes.

The generic DR death postscript about being content with dying well because you knew the odds were bad to start with is kind of a motif of both DR and AoD.

A good place to have another conversation about "why these guys keep doing what I say" would be when you've killed a couple of the mini-factions. Marcus or somebody could pipe up and say, "You know, if we stop we can still take over for the people we've killed. Any farther and we're declaring war on everyone, even the rulers on the surface." Then the conversation would be, basically, "I've gotten us this far and we're getting out. Anyone going to stop me? No? Alright then."

sgm

Educated
Do you play Ironman? Because I see you left with 3 hp only. That exact risks that I'm talked about before. If you have enough liquid fires, then you can kill 3-4 of them in the second turn..
Not Ironman, just Psycho. This is my second playthrough only, so I wouldn't try it with a build I hadn't tested yet. You're right about the risks with Dagger, but it's still fun.

Anyway, I redid the fight with four Constructs.
Didn't use any Liquid Fire, just Berserk with Imperial Armor + Scaurus's Shield. I run to the entrance and wait at the door for them to all show up. I alternate attacking the two melee fighters until they die. By then the two ranged fighters are close and I can engage them at the same time. Sometimes I end up between the two and all they do is waste their turns bashing me back and forth. It's pretty funny since neither can hurt me with that attack. Otherwise, I end up on one side of the hall and only one shoots at a time. Their arrows only do 1 Damage, if it even hits.
5hrW6zM.jpg
After that...
AKQ3NzH.jpg

Burned them with all that Liquid Fire I've been saving. Ranged Construct didn't manage to damage me a lot, so decided to risk it and finish off the two melee with the knife. Took some damage in the process.
His Royal Heighness...
6lvexbu.jpg

This one didn't go so easily at first until I changed my armor. Blue Steel Auxiliary Armor I forged + Tower shield from somebody I killed. Pre-buff with Neurostim+Berserk. Used Bomb on Emperor and killed him in two strikes. Used Fire on the guy to the left with Spearman so he backs up. Next round I get hit with Fire from Spearman, but no damage. Bomb his ass and hit him with Arterial Strike or Aimed shot to the Torso. I almost always crit. If he survives, Poison gets him next round. Spearman's buddy who I burned hits me with a net, so I switch out the Fire for my own. Net him and Axeman. Engage Him and he dies in a round or two from Poison, same with Axeman. All the while most arrows and projectiles from the peanut gallery miss or do no damage. I then take out the crossbow user followed by the axe thrower, using a net to slow him down. Archer is shitting his pants by the time I stab his eyes out. I've repeated it multiple times now and it always goes the same. HP is 20 or less.

Emmanuel2

Savant
i finished the game. well, that last fight was fucking hardcore. murderous psychopath diff. 2 companions, dodge, hammer, crafting

1982F2647ED93A04786431D07688A2C76F5DCCF3

originally 7/8/7/8/4/6 but the upgrade machine helped a FUCKING LOT. as you can see the bodies are piled up on the door.

i almost tear my hair out then i figured

"oh wait, you can enter the house!"

so i go there, have roxanna poison, the duck, poison then duck when they go near, close the door and wait for enemy open it, that cost them 4 AP.

then my guy and marcus go forward and knock them, go back and close the door. repeat

kinda cheating i know, but well i won.

Congrats! Yeah, that door is pretty OP especially when soloing Psycho.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Vault Dweller, Elhoim there is a persistent bug that is ruining my strategy agaisnt the enforcers. I'm throwing liquid fire at the bridge, but the liquid fire is passing through the bridge.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So what can change the outcome of the final battle and endings?

I know.
you can make a deal with the soldiers with high enough charisma
what else? If alot of hour guys died (so no one can operate the ballistae) will the battle be tougher?

Emmanuel2

Savant
So what can change the outcome of the final battle and endings?

I know.
you can make a deal with the soldiers with high enough charisma
what else? If alot of hour guys died (so no one can operate the ballistae) will the battle be tougher?

There are only three endings IIRC.

The badass ending, the deal-with-the-soldiers ending and

The one where you take the portal after killing that important dude's guards a.k.a the chicken-out ending.

I think the ballistae are scripted because even in Solo PM the other prisoners still get to fire them.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
HoboForEternity
You need to talk with Praefectus who is in the building on the right (on the right when you exit the elevator) on the surface.

Emmanuel2
There are 4 endings, the-deal-with-the-soldeirs ending depends on your charisma.

sgm

Educated
Finished my Dagger+Dodger Solo run on Psycho.
Ozfl7lf.jpg
T3y6Lx4.jpg
Final equipment and stats:
c7Staz1.jpg
lJiNEtZ.jpg

Tigranes

Arcane
Sword/Dodge solo blew through most of the content, now we'll see against Emprah and finale.

Being able to hit 9/10 Dodge just after Barca means once you get past early game and get a decent set of equipment/resources, you're just plowing through with superior statspower against most enemies - and then, on a couple of occasions, whipping out a liquid fire or neurostim to get through some sticky situations. Late game enemies definitely pack a punch, though, so if you get hit a couple of unlucky times it can really screw you up.

Bombs have become entirely useless to anybody who doesn't pump CS. They were never really about damage or armour wound, it was about the knockdown, which seems too rare to be reliable. I appreciate making CS more of a thing, of course, so we'll see how it goes when I run a party and somebody does put points in it.

34scell

Augur
Isn't throwing a bit OP? I mean, why even bother with critical strike or even STR when, with max crafting and throwing, you can make fast attacks that ignore armour completely 92% of the time? Didn't it use to be that the passive would only half DR and that it needed to activate on a torso shot to ignore it completely?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom