Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Duck and Cover looking for editorial staff

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
By the way, I can also offer some shitty work without salary. You won't even need titanium bones.

naossano

Cipher
Why bother? To post Fallout 3 and 4 news announcements? Just merge with codex and have a separate subforum for FO 1 & 2 needs. Problem solved.
What about talking about Van Buren, Mutants Rising, Fallout 1.5 Resurrection, Fallout:Lonestart, Project Brazil, and the other worthy mods ? Or the new isometric post-apocalyptic games, like Underrail, Wasteland 2, After Reset, InSomnia, Dead State, Age Of Decadence, Hard West ?
IMO, Fallout is not dead. Although the closest incarnations are not called Fallout or don't come from the publisher owning the IP.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Why bother? To post Fallout 3 and 4 news announcements? Just merge with codex and have a separate subforum for FO 1 & 2 needs. Problem solved.
What about talking about Van Buren, Mutants Rising, Fallout 1.5 Resurrection, Fallout:Lonestart, Project Brazil, and the other worthy mods ? Or the new isometric post-apocalyptic games, like Underrail, Wasteland 2, After Reset, InSomnia, Dead State, Age Of Decadence, Hard West ?
IMO, Fallout is not dead. Although the closest incarnations are not called Fallout or don't come from the publisher owning the IP.

It would function just as well being a codex subforum. Why have 2 separate sites covering same games and nobody prohibits you from covering mods?

naossano

Cipher
I don't see Duck & Cover as an unfair competition for Codex/NMA.
Considering their long history, i wouldn't have them die as long as the Fallout soul exist. (even if that soul isn't necessary inside its own shell)
Beside, they could increase their subjects, with RPG or post-apocalyptic worlds.

Not mentionning the very oriented Codex mindset that don't fit to everyone. (right of wrong IT IS very oriented)
I believe that some Fallout fans (old/new) would never join the Codex even if it was the only website talking about what they like.
Not mentionnning the fact that the size of the website could be overwhelming for a new user. (the kind of user that take time to read previous posts before stating something that might already been said. Those who don't wouldn't care)

Yuri's Revenge

Barely Literate
"Fallout: A Requiem"

I've heard there was a Fallout game
Made at Interplay by Tim Cain
But you don't really care for Turn-Based, do you?
It goes like this:
Pump INT, Dump CHA
The minor Min, the major Max
The baffled Cain programming Fallout.

FALLOUT, FALLOUT.
FALLOUT, FALLOUT.

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw Great Khans bullet dancing on the roof
Fallout's gritty TB combat overthrew you
Cain trapped you in the MASTER's lair
You broke your char, TB isn't fair
And from those tender lips he drew Sawyer's despair

FALLOUT, FALLOUT.
FALLOUT, FALLOUT.

Tandi I have been here before
I know this room, I've walked this floor
I used to live in a vault before I knew you.
I've seen your flag on the pueblo arch
A fetch quest is not a victory march
It's an old and it's a buggy Fallout system

FALLOUT, FALLOUT.
FALLOUT, FALLOUT.

There was a time when you never let me know
What's really going on below
But now you always show it do me, don't you?
Mechanics were never meant to be shown
Cain's programming did it on the sly
But I still knew best to aim at their eyes

FALLOUT, FALLOUT.
FALLOUT, FALLOUT.

Maybe there's a Cain above,
But all I've ever learned to love
Was how to shoot at mutants that outgrew you
I sob, I cry, I scream at night
For those who haven't seen the light
They play Todd and Pete's shitty Fallout Lite

FALLOUT, FALLOUT.
FALLOUT, FALLOUT.

I say you took Cain's name in vain
You don't deserve to know the name
But since you do, well, really, what's it to you?
There's RT now in every game
Oblivion's gameplay is the same
The holy and the broken Fallout franchise

FALLOUT, FALLOUT.
FALLOUT, FALLOUT.

I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
And even through Troika did go wrong
Cain's legacy will still live long
I've nothing on my HDD but Fallout

FALLOUT, FALLOUT.
FALLOUT, FALLOUT.
FALLOUT, FALLOUT.
FALLOUT, FALLOUT.
FALLOUT, FALLOUT.
FALLOUT, FALLOUT.
FALLOUT, FALLOUT.
FALLOUT, FALLOUT.

Fa-a-a-a-LL-out.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
I don't see Duck & Cover as an unfair competition for Codex/NMA.
Considering their long history, i wouldn't have them die as long as the Fallout soul exist. (even if that soul isn't necessary inside its own shell)
Beside, they could increase their subjects, with RPG or post-apocalyptic worlds.

Not mentionning the very oriented Codex mindset that don't fit to everyone. (right of wrong IT IS very oriented)
I believe that some Fallout fans (old/new) would never join the Codex even if it was the only website talking about what they like.
Not mentionnning the fact that the size of the website could be overwhelming for a new user. (the kind of user that take time to read previous posts before stating something that might already been said. Those who don't wouldn't care)

I don't see them (NMA and DAC) as competition either, sorry. At this point it is a waste of bandwidth as FO is dead and other games are covered here extensively.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
NMA is full of apologists these days, or most of the time just empty, waste of bandwith. Can't imagine how it looks on DAC...

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
DAC has been claimed as dead for like 10 years but it won't die. I was a content contributor between the time of Fallout 3 and New Vegas I believe but after that I didn't have much else to post besides doing interviews with the star studded cast that is the community. The place really needs someone with the DAC attitude and not some new comer that tries to straighten out the community with rules, that happens each time we try finding it a new owner then the new owner always gets butt hurt and leaves.

Mammas gang 4 lyfe

Kalasanty11

Learned
Hopefully, RPG Codex will live forever.
I remember reading the thread from 2004 with reactions about Bethesda taking over franchise. Codexians expected that Bethesda would butcher Fallout... Just like they did with TES - dat hatred for Morrowind.
And now, Morrowind has 7th place on top 70 and few are complaining about it. 5-10 years from now on same will probably happen with F3.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It is kind of amusing, ALL 3 sites (Codex, DAC, NMA) all started because of Fallout (because we wanted MOAR cRPG like that). But all we keep getting is shitty console ACTION! games slapped with a RPG label. (I'm looking at YOU Poland).

The Codex..................................................................................................................... somewhat still retains that fight, of wanting to get a return to games that feature rich amounts of RPG mechanics. DAC and NMA basically gave up on all that.

NMA still is one of the BEST fucking repositories of Fallout/Fallout 2 modifications. It is basically the Spellhold/Gibberlings 3 of Fallout modding sites.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Hopefully, RPG Codex will live forever.
I remember reading the thread from 2004 with reactions about Bethesda taking over franchise. Codexians expected that Bethesda would butcher Fallout... Just like they did with TES - dat hatred for Morrowind.
And now, Morrowind has 7th place on top 70 and few are complaining about it. 5-10 years from now on same will probably happen with F3.
well, that's unavoidable, really, since it's pretty much evolution in progress. old members die or get bored, new members will be younger and thus have preferences skewed towards the consoletard spectrum, and so the general opinion wil always shift favorably towards more decline, with the exception of oldschool phases like the current kickstarter revival phase.

morrowind is still a fugly mediocre game, even if it is bettrer than oblivion from a game design perspective.

naossano

Cipher
I don't think that loving good things = Being old.
There pretty shitty things in the 90s too.
And there are good things today. (incline list for instance)

On the other hand, there are some gems that aren't much famous at release, but gain later recognition, while, on the other hand, some best-sellers can be easily forgotten after merely a decade.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I don't think that loving good things = Being old.
no, but your first games will imprint you and you need to collect a large library of patterns to compare shit to. look at the mm thread and see how the opinions are divided between mm1+2 vs mm3-5 vs mm6+ mostly based on what people played first. good taste might not equal being old, but being young makes it much easier to have a shitty one.

Helton

Arcane
Frankly, Morrowind is a good game. Codex of yesterdecade was merely wrong.

In lore and world building it stands afaik without peer. Atmosphere is also incredible.

Nuclear Explosion

In lore and world building it stands afaik without peer. Atmosphere is also incredible.
Its gameplay and quest design are garbage, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Its gameplay and quest design are garbage though.

Always preferred Gothic 2, in terms of combat, also towns felt more alive and I preferred the tighter world design. I can't replay Morrowind anymore but, G2 still manages to hold my interest.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I always thought NMA was the new DaC, and the original DaC site was only there as an archive, more or less.
Really didn't know they were still posting news.

Oh, well, guess I was wrong.

naossano

Cipher
I didn't play Morrowind yet, but i mostly heard that it wasn't awfull, unlike the other games of the same IP. That doesn't make it great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom