Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie DrDungeon's Ultizurk and MADMAN Thread

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So, people who are actually playing it (since it appears to be good), are the one online the complete versions, and if so, how many hours of gameplay are we looking at ?

Luzur

Good Sir
uh, so Ultizurk 3, i just started it (i skipped U1 and U2, couldnt really get into them, prob gonna try later on again) and i am kinda wondering, is the sound supposed to be blip and blops or are there any sound configs? no naming main char or changing his appearence (i dont mind looking like a hunky Burt Reynolds but i am in favor of making your own guy)?

what cycle should i have on DOSbox? shit moves too fast in combat, can barely make into town.

DrDungeon

Developer
Aye - blips and blops for sound. Its almost 20 years old. :) Combat was admittedly a little weak, as well as character creation and a true role-playing system. My own gripe with UZ3 is the mouse control. Its the first time I learned to poll the mouse, so its a little klunky.

All that is changing in MADMAN - hopefully done in a couple months - full role-playing system with all the stats and skills, all manner of sounds and lighting effects, real turn-based combat as well as a complete music score, some of it done on a $15,000 1937 violin played by a master.

Just now I made the last of the ZURK TRS-80 text games available, ZURK IX: The Rendezvous, on the site.
Also on the site is, in fact, ULTIZURK III: The Guildmaster's Quest.

Depending on how many play or comment, I might make available the never-before-seen Pt.2: The Mobius Mind. -Dr. D.

Site here:
http://web.me.com/drdungeon/Site/MAIN.html

DrDungeon

Developer
If MadMan isn't at least a little mini-hit, maybe I'll join my friend Jay and make Indy MOVIES instead! :) He's the one doing some of the music for MadMan (not the violin - more on that later)

In case anyone's curious, here's a youtube link to a little trailer of Jay's film, which is almost done:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Aye - blips and blops for sound. Its almost 20 years old. :) Combat was admittedly a little weak, as well as character creation and a true role-playing system. My own gripe with UZ3 is the mouse control. Its the first time I learned to poll the mouse, so its a little klunky.

All that is changing in MADMAN - hopefully done in a couple months - full role-playing system with all the stats and skills, all manner of sounds and lighting effects, real turn-based combat as well as a complete music score, some of it done on a $15,000 1937 violin played by a master.

Just now I made the last of the ZURK TRS-80 text games available, ZURK IX: The Rendezvous, on the site.
Also on the site is, in fact, ULTIZURK III: The Guildmaster's Quest.

Depending on how many play or comment, I might make available the never-before-seen Pt.2: The Mobius Mind. -Dr. D.

Site here:
http://web.me.com/drdungeon/Site/MAIN.html

Sweet, it's an updated version!

Any chance you can make a blog entry with instructions for Ultizurk III, like you made for the previous games?

Mortmal

Arcane
If MadMan isn't at least a little mini-hit, maybe I'll join my friend Jay and make Indy MOVIES instead! :) He's the one doing some of the music for MadMan (not the violin - more on that later)

If you want it to be a mini hit you will need way more advertising as other said, and i would advise you to make it for android tablets and ipad, theres room for such games there, ive recently used an android tablet and a ipad too and theres really nothing on the marketplace when it comes to oldschool rpgs.

DrDungeon

Developer
Aye, I almost forgot some blog info for UZ3. Done! Good point, Mortmal - I'll have to look into possible pad ports. I know these are becoming very popular.

Blackadder, I truly hope MadMan can be done sometime this summer. Its going surprisingly fast. Since I'm porting all the UZ4 graphics and some of the code, it makes things a lot easier because so many years of work were done on UZ4. But it gives me a chance to make major upgrades, especially the interface.

In UZ4 I used icons to do stuff like get, use, talk, etc. This could get a little confusing. Also, the inventories were way too small.

MadMan uses a "smart" mouse, that knows when you click to get, use, etc., and I'm using a method as in NeverWinter where tapping the TAB key shows all the interaction possibilities on the map. They are legion!

Right now I'm working on what I call "item on map" stuff. This involves things like using a pick on stones to get sling-stones, popping corn, hammering a blank in a forge to make weapons, sheering sheep, making wine on a wine press, baking bread!! Chopping ore out of mine and dungeon walls, using a thatch machine with wool to make wool coats to wear or sell, shovels on dirt piles for treasures, etc., etc., etc., no wonder I went mad. :) -Rob

DrDungeon

Developer
There's a new screenshot up in the MadMan section showing part of a dungeon, plus a blow-up of another dungeon. They are huge and scrawling, with many passes. Notice the new reddish hue as compared to the older lighting shot right before it, how the wall lights brighter when the player is near with a lit lantern.

These lighting effects are a warm-up to what will become spell effects, because the lighting is actually a circular grid map surrounding the player in circles.

This could lead, for example, to some kind of "shock wave" effect where the character hums up with power, then unleashes a powerful area effect that actually ripples the land like a wave as it knocks the monsters off their feet. This isn't too hard because its just a variant of the lighting system. The sky is the limit to what I can now do with effects. Yaaayyy!!! -Rob

DrDungeon

Developer
For the first time ever, ULTIZURK III Pt. 2: The Mobius Mind, is now available at the site.
http://web.me.com/drdungeon/Site/Museum_ShowRoom.html

This is the first time I ever offered anything truly for free. All the other games came in various packages that sometimes offered another game if you bought the one game.

But UZ3 Part 2 was never seen except by those who bought Part 1. It is nowhere on the internet. So here it is, free. No readme - it runs just like UZ3. You should read the QuickStart and ViewIntro, though.

There is a little lobby entry for more details.

One tip: pick homeysuckle clovers. This entire game was inspired by an old childhood sweetheart, Bonnie - who introduced me to honeysuckle clovers a long, long time ago.

In this, and UZ3 - back when I released them, I had one last trick up my sleeve to get their attention if it wasn't selling well. It was going to be just in the registered version so hopefully they would get curious. Didn't work too well; they were too busy playing Exile 3 - released around the same time.

I guess I know what people thought comparing UZ3 with Exile, considering the zillions of registrations Exile was getting.

Yet I can't help but wonder what the players thought comparing Exile with Ultima VI?

When you're in the game, a little easter egg! Tap SHIFT + 2, or the "@" key. Then look at Losi. :) -Dr. Dungeon

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For the first time ever, ULTIZURK III Pt. 2: The Mobius Mind, is now available at the site.
http://web.me.com/drdungeon/Site/Museum_ShowRoom.html

This is the first time I ever offered anything truly for free. All the other games came in various packages that sometimes offered another game if you bought the one game.

But UZ3 Part 2 was never seen except by those who bought Part 1. It is nowhere on the internet. So here it is, free. No readme - it runs just like UZ3. You should read the QuickStart and ViewIntro, though.

There is a little lobby entry for more details.

One tip: pick homeysuckle clovers. This entire game was inspired by an old childhood sweetheart, Bonnie - who introduced me to honeysuckle clovers a long, long time ago.

In this, and UZ3 - back when I released them, I had one last trick up my sleeve to get their attention if it wasn't selling well. It was going to be just in the registered version so hopefully they would get curious. Didn't work too well; they were too busy playing Exile 3 - released around the same time.

I guess I know what people thought comparing UZ3 with Exile, considering the zillions of registrations Exile was getting.

Yet I can't help but wonder what the players thought comparing Exile with Ultima VI?

When you're in the game, a little easter egg! Tap SHIFT + 2, or the "@" key. Then look at Losi. :) -Dr. Dungeon

:brodex:

And that's all for the Ultizurks. Now for Wraith and Madman. :D Thanks so much!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
DrDungeon
Apple has shut down their MobileMe service and your website and downloads are now all dead.
:rage:

Luckily I arranged for the games to be mirrored on Ultima Aiera.

Last edited:

PeeWee

Augur
Yes, Dr. Dungeon’s web-site seems to have disappeared.

Anyway, I have often visited this thread, but I decided to create an account myself now. I have known Dr. Dungeon for a long time.

Here is a list of all games by Dr. Dungeon that I have completed. If anyone has questions about any of them, please tell me and maybe I can help. It does not matter if you need help getting a game to run or if it is about the contents of a game.

By the way, I call myself PW, not PeeWee, but I needed at least 3 characters to create an account.

ZURK I: The Great Zurkian Empire
ZURK II: The World Below
ZURK III: The City of Glass
ZURK IV: Enter the Ninja
ZURK V: The Dungeon Master
ZURK VI: The Dragon Gate
ZURK VII: The Savannah
ZURK VIII: The Wizard’s Guild
ZURK IX: The Rendezvous
Babysitter I: The Night His Parents Went Out!
Babysitter II: The Kid Unleashed
Spook House II: The Last Vampire
Spook House III: The Levee
ULTIZURK I: The Grandmaster’s Quest
ULTIZURK II: The Shadow Master
The Great Ultizurkian Underland
ULTIZURK III: Part I: The Guildmaster’s Quest
ULTIZURK III: Part II: The Mobius Mind
Wraith

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
PeeWee
If the Dr. has problems getting up another webpage, he could try getting in touch with Kenneth over at the UltimaCodex. There's already a dedicated Ultizurk section there, as I've said.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
DrDungeon

UltimaCodex said:
Hopefully, he’ll be able to move to an alternative service in the near future. I’d also be willing to offer him a subdomain here at the Ultima Codex…so if any of you have his contact information, please feel free to forward that offer to him.

Do contact Kenneth who owns the site. He is a cool dude and a BRO.

PeeWee

Augur
Here are some notes for some of Dr. Dungeon’s games.

You meet Sammy for the first time in "ULTIZURK I: The Grandmaster’s Quest".

In "ULTIZURK II: The Shadow Master" you cannot always get an object back after dropping it, so do not drop any objects unless you know what you are doing.

You meet Losi-the-Siren for the first time in "The Great Ultizurkian Underland".

When talking to Losi in "The Great Ultizurkian Underland" she may ask you to say "Losi" to Sammy when you meet him, but if you try this in "ULTIZURK III: Part I: The Guildmaster’s Quest" Sammy will just think you want him to train Losi.

In "ULTIZURK III: Part I: The Guildmaster’s Quest" you can talk to Morath the armorer in Eldorton. Try these words to learn a spell:
"ac", "total", "be", "special", "8", "spell", "sirens" and "117".
The AC of the helm of Dr. Dungon is 117. There is no such helm in any of the games by Dr. Dungeon. You learn the spell of pressing 2 and Shift, which means @, and then walking. Then look at Losi. Do this again to stop the spell. Note that this spell works in both
"ULTIZURK III: Part I: The Guildmaster’s Quest" and "ULTIZURK III: Part II: The Mobius Mind".

You can register "Wraith" in the game by pressing Shift + 5 and then type r (not R).

Something else. I have 4 games by Dr. Dungeon that cannot be downloaded anywhere and I have a more recent version of "Wraith", which contains screenshots for "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops". These games may be uploaded so people can download them for free. Can anyone help me to get these 4 games on the mirror-site and to replace the old "Wraith" with the new "Wraith"?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Here are some notes for some of Dr. Dungeon’s games.

You meet Sammy for the first time in "ULTIZURK I: The Grandmaster’s Quest".

In "ULTIZURK II: The Shadow Master" you cannot always get an object back after dropping it, so do not drop any objects unless you know what you are doing.

You meet Losi-the-Siren for the first time in "The Great Ultizurkian Underland".

When talking to Losi in "The Great Ultizurkian Underland" she may ask you to say "Losi" to Sammy when you meet him, but if you try this in "ULTIZURK III: Part I: The Guildmaster’s Quest" Sammy will just think you want him to train Losi.

In "ULTIZURK III: Part I: The Guildmaster’s Quest" you can talk to Morath the armorer in Eldorton. Try these words to learn a spell:
"ac", "total", "be", "special", "8", "spell", "sirens" and "117".
The AC of the helm of Dr. Dungon is 117. There is no such helm in any of the games by Dr. Dungeon. You learn the spell of pressing 2 and Shift, which means @, and then walking. Then look at Losi. Do this again to stop the spell. Note that this spell works in both
"ULTIZURK III: Part I: The Guildmaster’s Quest" and "ULTIZURK III: Part II: The Mobius Mind".

You can register "Wraith" in the game by pressing Shift + 5 and then type r (not R).

Something else. I have 4 games by Dr. Dungeon that cannot be downloaded anywhere and I have a more recent version of "Wraith", which contains screenshots for "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops". These games may be uploaded so people can download them for free. Can anyone help me to get these 4 games on the mirror-site and to replace the old "Wraith" with the new "Wraith"?

Mail Kenneth: kenneth dot kully at gmail dot com

He's one of the proprietors of the Ultima Codex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom