Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Dragonshard" D&D RTS announced and previewed!

The codex is better known, not famous but perhaps infamous.

Monte Carlo

Liturgist
Yeah, I'm sure his "friends" who told him that this would be a good place to post this are reading this thread and trying not to spit coffee all over their monitor screens.

"I don't freakin' believe it....he fell for it."

Cheers
MC

Whipporowill said:
Well. I guess the Underdark was way to popular to cut out of the new setting, so they kept them and the Drow (surprise, surprise). Although Lolth isn't included and the Drow are drawing their magic from the negative plane of shadow or something or other...

Do they have brizzt the all new drow hero who wields two sabres and fights for all thats good and righteous.

Voss

Erudite
Actually the setting that the tacked this RTS onto is rather interesting (its the new Wizards' setting Eberron- no godlike heros, no gods walking the earth, actual political relationships between nations, actual reasons for things, etc).
Unfortunately, they decided to introduce it to the computer game market with a generic RTS and an online game.
:roll:
Sad, really.

errorcode

Liturgist
well, Eberron does have a pretty good setting and background that would lend itself to an RPG/RTS pretty well.

I think the big question is "What do they mean by RPG?" If they mean stat driven hero development then folks aren't going to warm to it. If they mean political negotiation dialogs, hero customization on top of stat advancement, and a solid story line that response to the players actions appropriately then you might actually score some fans here.

So, what does atari mean when they say Dragonshard has a strong RPG element?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Re: Wow!

atari_dm said:
Wow, ok I had no idea this was going to get such a negative reception. If we’ve offended the site owner I apologize.

I'm not offended, just kind of annoyed, really. If you want to make contact, my email is on the front page. That's how most PR people would have handled it, and I would have said that we don't cover that kind of thing but we're interested in NWN2 and BG3. We would have gotten off on the right foot that way.

Some of my friends who do the same job as I’m doing for other companies had very positive things to say about RPG Codex and its staff.

Really? There's PR people who don't say we're off the wall crackpots? I've failed at my job! :D

I can assure people I’m not just sending out “copy fluff” my boss handed down. If there is any bad blood between this site and Atari I hope we can work to repair that relationship. If you would prefer we not post on your forums just let me and I’ll make sure to respect your wishes.

Bring on the NWN2 and BG2 stuff. That's what we're about, really.. Sort of..

Actually, I didn't like BG or NWN, but hey, it's on topic stuff. I'd rather have discussions on topic than anything else.

StraitLacedDeviant said:
The codex is better known, not famous but perhaps infamous.

Don't forget that we're downright cool compared to fantasy gamers.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"actual political relationships between nations, actual reasons for things, etc). "

Sound slike the Realms, actually.

As for the Underdark, it predates the Realms. It's been around for pretty much ever.

Ausir

Arcane
Undendark originated in Greyhawk, then it was ripped off in Reams, and now in Eberron.

Seven

Erudite
Some of my friends who do the same job as I’m doing for other companies had very positive things to say about RPG Codex and its staff.

Ha, some one fooled you. This little community of ours is a loose affliation of grumpy old men who love to yell at things; that being said, we do oocasionally have something in-tell-a-ma-gent to say.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Slight correction about the Dragonshard game: It does not take place in the cliched setting of Forgotten Realms but rather in the new setting that WOTC is pushing out.

Anyway, yeah - I've got some slight interest in the game, mainly because Ed Del Castillo (the guy who made the C&C games) is working on it. It's got to be a whole lot better than his Warcraft 3-ripoff "War of the Ring", though. Battle Realms was cool and original, and had some pretty good things going for it even if the graphics were ugly.

My main problem is with the units being too freaking big. Tone them down a little, and raise the zoom. Gotta give a perspective of a battlefield, not a skirmish.

Anyway, from what I've seen of Ed Del Castillo/Liquid Entertainment's work, they're pretty good when it comes to story telling. If WOTR had anything going for it, it was the campaign. I didn't much like any other part of the game, though. It just felt too much like Warcraft 3 without the sophistication.

They've got some pretty good ideas going into Dragonshard, like the 'living base' thing. Unit designs are based on how you place your buildings to each other or something like that. Kind of like that Unit Alchemy thing they had in Battle Realms, except a lot more thought out.

I'd have to wonder how it compares with WH40K:Dawn of War, which besides Rome: Total War, looks like one of the most sophisticated RTS's to date. The whole aspect of equipping your team with special heavy weapons, unit attachments from support units (e.g. a medic accompanying some marines to provide healing bonuses), squad leaders with special abilities (not including units like the Librarian or Force Commander, which can also attach) makes it pretty tough competition to beat. From what I've read about Dragonshard, they're including a similar design to DoW, so we'll see how that turns out.

Saint's right though. It's an RTS - We don't cover them even though some of us really, really like them. Give us the scoop on BG3/NWN2/any other real RPG and we'll be happy campers.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Role-Player said:
Exitium said:
Slight correction about the Dragonshard game: It does not take place in the cliched setting of Forgotten Realms but rather in the new setting that WOTC is pushing out.

Eberron?

Yes. Apparently Rex didn't bother to read much of the thread, as we already came to that conlusion... some pages back. Ehum.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
This games looks better than I orginally credited it...

That is all. :twisted:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Doing a little grave digging?"

Well.. people would either whine about bring up old threads or starting a new one on a topic covering a thread that was still on this page.. I picked my poison so meh.

Seven

Erudite
Well since we're on the subject of retractions and changing opinions I might as well post/publically admit that I was wrong about TOEE, and it was not the RPG that I had credited it for post release. And yes, this means that you were right (to a certain degree).

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Ortchel said:
Hmm, whats wrong with fantasy gamers, Saint?

Well, they're just really pathetic from what I've seen. They're all about rules and guidelines for posting non-offensive bullshit which usually opens the door for some of the faggiest stuff on the internet. In my opinion, if some guy posts some poetry about his feelings and how depressed he is somewhere, then by damned, someone should tell him to stop being such a fucking ninny and go watch some sports with some guys. That's just my opinion on the matter, though.

Ortchel

Liturgist
Well, they're just really pathetic from what I've seen. They're all about rules and guidelines for posting non-offensive bullshit which usually opens the door for some of the faggiest stuff on the internet. In my opinion, if some guy posts some poetry about his feelings and how depressed he is somewhere, then by damned, someone should tell him to stop being such a fucking ninny and go watch some sports with some guys. That's just my opinion on the matter, though.

What does that have to do with fantasy gaming again?

Fez

Erudite
I think Saint is on to something there. At the very least we'd see less goth morons writing poems about how they cut themselves with saftey pins because their parents won't let them watch TV at night. I'd just suggest to them to use a kitchen knife and get the job done properly though.

Ortchel

Liturgist
Your signature is revolting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom