Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen released on PC

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Omg this game is even more problematic than I thought. Brb, giving gifts to little boys in the slums, in the hopes of being able to romance them.

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
Armors don't look particularly bad, somewhat realistic given the ballsy fantasy salad of a setting. Particularly when you consider this was made by Japs who usually have monstrous and prosperous tastes for art in general. It looks much better than Skyrim and TESO, unless you are super fan of chainmail bikinis.

Can't wait to go see my brother playing this, will report later.

These people don't look androgynous to me

dragons-dogma-demo_10.jpg

female-arisen.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

:what:

Last edited:

80Maxwell08

Arcane
So I got it and played it for a bit...

This game is boring af.
Play it a bit longer. I thought the exact same thing when I played it my first hour. I came back months later and got the skill tusk toss for my fighter and discovered the joys of knocking enemies 20 feet into the air. Want more fun? Wait for enemies to get knocked over, or do it yourself, and throw them off cliffs for the hell of it.

Martius

Liturgist
I somewhat doubt that Oblivion combat is anything like Dragons Dogma.

Yeah - game isn't very good. Sadly I wasn't paying attention and went over the 2 hour mark, so I guess I can't get a refund.

Seethe

Arbiter
Underrated game tbh. But also sucks at most things except combat and spells. Dialogue is bad, story is bad, models look bad although there's lots of customization, armors/weapons look okay.

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
Just watched my brother play for about one hour and a half and we had tons of fun with this mad game. Just don't pay much attention to the plot (hilariously crazy and super shallow ofc) and play it like a 3rd person Golden Axe. Throw enemies around and listen to the advice of your party during combat. Fun stuff!

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
It's basically Oblivion with good combat and exploration (including some cool vertical traversal that's pretty unique in an ARPG). A very peculiar game all in all, some elements are great, others are absolute dogshit, while others yet are just weird - some very strange C&C included.

MrMarbles

Cipher
So I got it and played it for a bit...

This game is boring af.
Play it a bit longer. I thought the exact same thing when I played it my first hour. I came back months later and got the skill tusk toss for my fighter and discovered the joys of knocking enemies 20 feet into the air. Want more fun? Wait for enemies to get knocked over, or do it yourself, and throw them off cliffs for the hell of it.

Agree, give it a little more time! The starting area is a bit slow, but once the main quest gets started and monsters get bigger it really picks up.

Also it's one of those rare games where the expansion areas are some of the best. Bitterblack almost reminds me of Watcher's Keep. I can't think of many other dungeons that come close, maybe the depths in DS1, TOEE or parts of Icewind Dale...

SerratedBiz

Arcane
The postgame in the original DA (aka not NG+, but Everfall) was also very solid. No nonsense, you've already spent 40 hours exploring the world, now it's all dungeons and boss rooms with upgraded versions of every monster you've met so far. That was fun as shit. Ur-Dragon mechanics are kinda stupid tho and I'm not such a great fan of that.

It's basically Oblivion with good combat and exploration (including some cool vertical traversal that's pretty unique in an ARPG). A very peculiar game all in all, some elements are great, others are absolute dogshit, while others yet are just weird - some very strange C&C included.
Combat isn't that good. Climbing on monsters is a neat mechanic, but it doesn't save an otherwise boring experience.

Game sucks.

Seethe

Arbiter
Combat isn't that good. Climbing on monsters is a neat mechanic, but it doesn't save an otherwise boring experience.

Game sucks.

Nah.

MrMarbles

Cipher

Game sucks.

Combat is completely different depending on which class you're going for, and you can switch freely. Playing as an Archmage doesn't even require climbing at all, and it's still tactically solid.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
None of the classes really require climbing, though it certainly helps vs cyclops in particular.

Dunno why anyone thinks combat isn't that good. What other action game employs status effects? The only one I can think of is monster hunter, which does it far more clumsily. This game also has locational damage to enemies, numerous viable tactics ranging from physically hampering them, outranging them, crippling them with status effects, stunlocking them, or exploiting their unique weaknesses. I honestly can't think of an action game with combat anywhere close to this deep.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom