Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Wars

octavius

Arcane
Patron
How the hell was I supposed to jump out from the supposed gap in the east walls of Purgatory? I couldn't figure out a way to do it so I ended up using the SW secret passage instead

IIRC you need to sneak into the morgue and enter the body bags, and then be thrown into the river.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Do Daggers use the Sword skill for calculation?
Yes.

How the hell was I supposed to jump out from the supposed gap in the east walls of Purgatory? I couldn't figure out a way to do it so I ended up using the SW secret passage instead
Find "gap in the wall" message square at SE. Use Swim on south wall.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Find "gap in the wall" message square at SE. Use Swim on south wall.
Bloody hell, I feel like I'm going to be a little generous with the FAQ usage.

I think I saved myself in a bad spot - I crossed the bridge with the guy who checks your paper by killing him, killed the 6 goblins on the other side with (High Magic Fireball), found out that the mobs on other side are too tough but the 6 goblins has respawned and I have no access to healing pools and I saved - I guess I have to eat a Dragonstone and take the financial hit.

Man, I just remembered why I only played like a short period of this game in the first place - because there's so much mind-numbing combat.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Bloody hell, I feel like I'm going to be a little generous with the FAQ usage.

I think I saved myself in a bad spot - I crossed the bridge with the guy who checks your paper by killing him, killed the 6 goblins on the other side with (High Magic Fireball), found out that the mobs on other side are too tough but the 6 goblins has respawned and I have no access to healing pools and I saved - I guess I have to eat a Dragonstone and take the financial hit.

Man, I just remembered why I only played like a short period of this game in the first place - because there's so much mind-numbing combat.
There are more than enough Dragonstones later.
In your place I would
travel west to Mystic Woods, climb down the well at east wall of temple (west part of map) and travel through Underworld. It even have a mana pool.

TigerKnee

Arcane
travel west to Mystic Woods, climb down the well at east wall of temple (west part of map) and travel through Underworld. It even have a mana pool.
Eh? I'm searching through Mystic Woods right now and I don't see a temple... did find some Druid spells though

edit Oops nevermind

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Eh? I'm searching through Mystic Woods right now and I don't see a temple... did find some Druid spells though
NW point of the map is Enkidu's temple. Outside, at east wall, an old well. Temple itself contains very good puzzle that can sufficiently improve your chances in early game.
EDIT: Damn ninja edits. :lol:

TigerKnee

Arcane
There's a puzzle in the temple? It's just a 3 x 3 square room.

And now the question is "how the hell do I climb down the well"? I'm on the correct square because there's the message but I don't know what the key commands are supposed to be.

I hope this doesn't become a trend

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
There's a puzzle in the temple? It's just a 3 x 3 square room.
It's not an empty room.
And now the question is "how the hell do I climb down the well"? I'm on the correct square because there's the message but I don't know what the key commands are supposed to be.

I hope this doesn't become a trend
U - use
S - skill
A - ability
C - climb. :M

Sometimes you can use attributes too. Hint, hint... Some puzzles have many solutions.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Was the mirrors in Slave Estate supposed to do anything against the boss? He just shatters them all when initiating combat. Killed him anyway

What exactly is the effect of putting points in a Magic skill, does it make you deal more damage in the upper bounds?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Was the mirrors in Slave Estate supposed to do anything against the boss? He just shatters them all when initiating combat. Killed him anyway
You could use mirror on nearby tile before combat to turn monster to stone.

does it make you deal more damage in the upper bounds?
Yes.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Is Swimming one of those skills where you need everyone at a certain amount ala M&M/Wizardry or can one guy Swim for the whole party like a Pokemon?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Is Swimming one of those skills where you need everyone at a certain amount ala M&M/Wizardry
To leave Purgatory, you need swimming for everyone, but 1 is suffice. Can't remember how it useful later.
or can one guy Swim for the whole party like a Pokemon?
Swimming using inflatable сlerics? :lol:

EDIT: To leave Purgatory through the aforementioned gap, of course. You will lose health every water tile otherwise.
This way is useful for visiting Slave Camp, though.

Last edited:

TigerKnee

Arcane
Shit, I forgot where the Magic Pool is in Magan Underworld.

Man, I'm missing Uukrul's ability to add markers to your Automap.

TigerKnee

Arcane
What the fuck, how was I supposed to know to use Spirit as the statue of Enkidu in Mystic Woods? I only did it by complete accident.

And in that department - does having high Intelligence actually make your spells better? My 2 mage characters have 20 Int from char gen but in retrospect I feel like I should have put them in Spirit now for more MP.

And I hope Strength actually makes you deal more damage

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, what's the point of having such a detailed character system where there's no little documentation?
Fortunately there are pregens available.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
What the fuck, how was I supposed to know to use Spirit as the statue of Enkidu in Mystic Woods? I only did it by complete accident.
You could use Beast Horn found in the same spot as well. :troll:

Here you find a simple wilderness shrine, tended by a lonely druid. He
welcomes you to his temple, saying the place of worship is open to all.
The shrine is earthy and natural. The walls seem rooted in the depths of the
earth, the rock seems alive with animal spirit, the very air is crisp and sweet.
You see that the patron deity of this shrine is the man-animal Enkidu. “He is
the god of beast-men and man-beasts,” the druid explains. “He respects only
the strong and pure, to whom he will grant a powerful boon
Before Namtar’s
purge, the god was in residence in this forest, where he presided over a vast
druid colony. Now Enkidu is gone, the brotherhood is broken, and knowledge
of our magic is lost

And in that department - does having high Intelligence actually make your spells better? My 2 mage characters have 20 Int from char gen but in retrospect I feel like I should have put them in Spirit now for more MP.
And I hope Strength actually makes you deal more damage

STRENGTH (STR):The most immediate effect of great strength is the
ability to cause additional damage to foes. Strength is also useful for
breaking things, lifting heavy objects, and opening stubborn pop bottles.
High strength is required to use certain weapons; strength in excess of what
a weapon requires provides additional damage. Inquiring at a weapons shop
will sometimes tell you the strength requiring to use certain weapons.
DEXTERITY (DEX): A high dexterity makes you light on your feet,
improves your chance of hitting the bad guys, and diminishes the chance of
getting nailed yourself. Dexterity also determines the order in which a
character acts in combat, starting with the highest dexterity and moving
down to the lowest. Consider designing some magic-users with low
dexterity, so they can cast healing spells at the end of a combat round.
INTELLIGENCE (INT): Ultimately, your characters are only as intelligent
as you are. This statistic measures a character’s abstract intelligence; it is
important for learning spells and solving puzzles. Intelligence also affects
your chance of successfully hitting an opponent with a spell.
SPIRIT (SPR): On Oceana, the mundane realm is just one part of life.
Spirit reflects the strength of a person’s soul, and is important for casting
spells and resisting evil spirits. Spirit also determines the number of power
points retained by magic users.
POWER (POW): Power is derived from spirit, and represents spell points
used for energizing magic spells. Once spent on a spell, power points do not
naturally regenerate… you will need to use a Dragonstone or find some
other means of regenerating Power. For this reason, power points should be
used with discretion. Power is twice your Spirit.
HEALTH: Health is terrifically important, for when health is reduced to
zero, the character dies. Health can be restored only by certain spells,
retaining the services of a healer, or through the use of the BANDAGE skill.

TigerKnee

Arcane
INTELLIGENCE (INT): Ultimately, your characters are only as intelligent
as you are. This statistic measures a character’s abstract intelligence; it is
important for learning spells and solving puzzles. Intelligence also affects
your chance of successfully hitting an opponent with a spell.
Well, that's what the manual SAYS, but then it also says that in Dark Heart of Uukrul, and I discovered that fact probably isn't true through hacking.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Question about Thrown Weapons - are they reusable, or do you only use them once because if so I'm gonna sell this Fire Spear I got here

TigerKnee

Arcane
Shit, the Armory chest on the bridge seems to have disappeared after I left the items there to go sell things to make space for the loot.

Now it's all gone, argh

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Question about Thrown Weapons - are they reusable, or do you only use them once because if so I'm gonna sell this Fire Spear I got here
Dunno, never used them.

Shit, the Armory chest on the bridge seems to have disappeared after I left the items there to go sell things to make space for the loot.

Now it's all gone, argh

Fuck, if you leave map - all "opened" cashes are destroyed!
Just lost a lot of weapons and quest item under Tar's ruins. Time to restore backup...

Ha! Ha! Ha! Serves you right for not heeding my advice! :M

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
315ix3k.jpg

Namtar is fucking beast. And I'm not taking about his title.
In second battle (after dying from dragon and easy first battle) he starts at 60', do not advances like in first and pelts party with spell that kills half of it before it can engage him at 10'. I healed party at 30', casted Brambles to make Namtar miss the turn (I used this spell many times later), advanced and started hacking. Party died. Raised health to withstand damage. In the second battle when engaged at 10' Namtar started casting spell to hurl me back to 40'. :negative: Dragon teeth with their big radius would be good, but I don't had them. So I advanced to 20' and started attacking him with Gatling Bow. Many turns later (and two reloads) I won. Then third battle started. Fourth battle, in the Underworld, had 30 goblins as well, but they fell to my area spells. When I made my way to pit, Namtar screamed "not the Pit again!", initiated combat and tried to run until I advanced to 10'. I even somewhat pity fucker.

Last edited:

huckc

Novice
Such a great game, have to play it again some time.

The mana was finite, the physical book format made things really interesting, and the world was cool as hell and fun to explore. Also had a auto-mapper built in.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Dragon Wars was the very first cRPG I played (SSI's Pool of Radience was the second a few days later) back in 1989. Very surprised Namtar was so difficult for others because here I was in my teens playing this new thing called an "RPG" yet I felt he - the final boss - was one of the easiest encounters in the game once you figured out the puzzle with the pit. The hardest part of Dragon Wars for me was just finding the fucker. It was pure luck and happenstance that I managed to find and dispel the illusionary wall that led to the passage to his lair.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom