Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dota 2 Discussion (~Boston Majors & Road to TI7~)

What modes should we play?

• Total voters

polo

Magister
Yeah, but south american ones are worse. At least than US.
Low level, shit team mates most of the time, no supports, etc. It happens everywhere but here it happens more often.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yeah, but south american ones are worse. At least than US.
Low level, shit team mates most of the time, no supports, etc. It happens everywhere but here it happens more often.

Nah man its not the server its MMR. What you described happens in low MMR everywhere.

G a R M

Novice
The point of mobility items is mobility, big surprise. Techies are slow and weak when caught they need either dagger or force and dagger is better.

Also, once again, you can buy dagger very fast by stacking ancients. At the same time you can mine enemy jungle and rune spots since stacking only happens every minute...

Or you know, the enemy team just wards your ancients and then you're fucked. And going that route makes you level mines instead of your suicide, so by the time you get your blink, you're sitting at level 1 or 2 suicide...and the enemy team will have enough HP to survive that and have ways to deal with it as well.

Plus, to get every stack, you'll have time to plant like 1 mine if you go all the way to their jungle considering Techies has god awful movement speed. And at level 1, mines have a 25 second cooldown anyway. And if you're just stacking ancients you have no levels until you kill them....which means you can plant 1 mine at the rune at best and get back for the stack...and you'll have to pray their mid or support doesn't roam on your underleveled ass.

MMR is a bust anyway, why bother with ranked if any scrub can play a few pubs with zeus, then lose 10 games in quali matches and still land in 5-5.5k range. Then sell it to someone even worse. No matter where you at, trench will always follow. I'm still baffled why volvo didn't steal HoN's ratings and stats system, it was quite alright. Win trading took time and effort, so boosting rating wasn't quite as easy and much more time consuming.

Coriolanus

Learned
MMR abuse can be easily fixed though. Allow 10 games to calibrate to a bracket (2k, 3k, 4k, 4.5k) then adjust MMR as normal (so +25 for a win, -25 for a loss) with no influence from KDA, hero dmg etc.

I'm not happy with the reasons that I can think of why Valve hasn't done it yet.

Coriolanus

Learned
Would anyone be interested in a rpgcodex funhouse? Solo MM can get old after a while (and I'm not good enough for NEL). If so, PM me your steam ID or add me on Steam (STEAM_0:1:94344992)

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Just had my first game against techies.

17092014techiesgame.jpg

Well, ok, now I can agree with the two main reasons to dislike this hero - first, once he's in the game, the game becomes incredibly techies-centered. Especially against green players - my team was extremely green vs techies, myself included, so there were lots of panic shouting "buy wards! buy gem!" and so on. And, what's worse, people actually bought them - even Ember bought one gem in the early game which was incredibly bad as he delayed his first bf immensely and we immediately lost it. Lots of gold was spent on pretty much nothing. And the late game (where we were obviously stronger) got incredibly stalled as, with our pick, we couldn't really disarm the minefield on the hg. All melee carries is an incredibly stupid idea vs techies. So we had to wait until we were much stronger than them them (wasn't that hard as warlock is useless late game, viper is also near-useless, well, he harassed me greatly, but was food against ember, and doom got shit-tier items, techies also wasn't that good in the teamfights) and until they seriously screwed up and only them we could push for the win. It was kinda luzly to run on the highground and die immediately, but the novelty wore off fast.

Anyhow, for my item choices, the progression was such:

jungle midas at 7-38 - phase - SnY - armlet - heart - cuirass - bots & deso.

Generally, I dislike the midas on the lc, but here the game looked quite passive and, well, I've had the feeling that the techies will drag everything out. So he did and I was midasing stuff for, like, an hour. SnY was because I wanted mobility, but really didn't wanna go dagger here - there were mostly teamfights without much ganking and, well, it felt like it wasn't a good idea to charge into them. Armlet was a mistake - I love the heart+armlet combo on the lc, but in my 50 games on her I haven't met a doombringer yet. Turns out, getting doomed with the turned on armlet really hurts. Cuirass was to counter their cuirass and also gain extra armor vs techies. Still, mines are so tough that even with 4k hp and 25+ armor I either died or got left with a hundred or so hp. Bots & deso was during the final fight, just to buyback and rax them quickly.

As for the team members, we had a great timbersaw and a decent ember (but he was also inexperienced with techies so he fed a lot to him, well, we all did). Lina & zeus were kinda useless. I also wasn't doing much killing, but my part was mostly as the decoy - I soaked dooms & everything while the ember & timber was actually killing stuff. Enemies, well, the techies & tiny were in stack and were trying to do the combo. They weren't pressing for it, though, and they were playing way too passively (which is probably why they lost - we fed a little bit too much to the techies in the early game) - sure, they mined the entire map & crap, but they did nothing to push the tower so we could just farm, recover and teamfight evenly.

Their item choices were also very bad. Warlock really should've done either refresher or aghanim - it was obvious that the game will go passive and, well, golems are awesome in the early game, but past 40 mins they become just extra sources of cleave for the ember. Should've gone hex. Tiny hadn't had enough attack speed, but I dunno what could he bought for that with doom already having Cuirass. Butterfly? I also don't like their aghanims that much - sure, we have timber-zeus-lina, but the latter two were really underleveled and, well, doom, viper and tiny are all tanky and ready to soak up magical damage. Just a pipe on one of them + more tanking items on two other would've done a much better job against us. It's not like we have stuns, you know. BKBs also are not really synergistic with the techies in their team as it drawn out the game and, well, bkb naturally lose their value in the drawn out game.

Of course, it wasn't just items, it was bad play, but that came from both sides (me included - my item build didn't worked as much as I planned, after all). Like, the doom was almost always dooming me instead of ember, so ember was slaughtering half of their team in return. The viper also tried to focus me (when I had just a hundred of won damage and, well, wasn't that dangerous). And tiny+techies were playing absolutely passive, there was just a couple of toss+suicide in the game and, well, that's not why you pick that combo.

polo

Magister
Brew is really OP right now, specially in early-mid game. You can tell by watching pro grames, everyone is picking him as offlane or mid.

Greatness

Cipher
It's finally here! The Balance Patch!

Holy shit some of these changes have me actually laughing from just reading them. About time dota got a breath of a fresh air.

Bounty Hunter shuriken bounces to all tracked units...
Chen can dominate Ancients...
Pheonix ultimate can respawn allies along with himself...
Pugna can use his ult on allies to heal them...
Riki has permanent invis at lvl 1...
Riki can blink strike 5 times in a row without a cooldown...
Sven aghs make his ult into an aura that affects allies...
Treant's aghs ult can potentialy be global.
Warlock's golems are ranged...
Finally an item to make out of buckler for when your team has 2 meks...

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Sven aghs sounds kinda broken. Like a vastly superior troll ult. And it's not like sven has trouble farming.

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Tinker has been systematically dismantled.
Clinkz and Weaver have more freedom in building offensive items now.
The nerf to heavy push lineups could benefit farmers such as Anti Mage yet again.

Greatness

Cipher
Two Chakrams, Soul Ring into Bloodstone.
Timber all day.

Has anyone seen it in game yet? I can see it being either really overpowered or pretty mediocre depending on how it's implemented.

If 2 seperate skills with no shared cooldown it'll be strong as shit. If it just fires two at once when you use it and you get both damage instances on sending/returning then it's also op. If you just cast one, wait for the cooldown while not returning it then can cast another, then it's pretty meh.

Ninjerk

Arcane
What is a chakram anyways? I saw that Soul Ring builds up into Bloodstone, and Soul Ring was a pretty good item to begin with. Is this going to be Bloodstone gaming patch?

Greatness

Cipher
What is a chakram anyways? I saw that Soul Ring builds up into Bloodstone, and Soul Ring was a pretty good item to begin with. Is this going to be Bloodstone gaming patch?

Chakram is his ultimate.

It is a huge buff to bloodstone. The item itself still isn't very great, but the buildup now is perfect for many heroes. I can definitely see it becoming far more common than previously.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Chakram is his ultimate.

It is a huge buff to bloodstone. The item itself still isn't very great, but the buildup now is perfect for many heroes. I can definitely see it becoming far more common than previously.
Oh, I thought he meant chakram was some kind of item that also built into BLoodstone that I didn't see in the patch notes.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Other than Riki changes which piss me off due to being annoying in pubs definitely a good patch. Ogre didnt deserve a nerf tho.

Tinker march nerf will severely cut his power competitively as hes now reliant on laning and jungling and has no clear come back mechanic any more. Sven wont ever farm aghs anyway but its a bow towards support Sven play. Carry Sven wont build support items most likely.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Sven aghs sounds kinda broken. Like a vastly superior troll ult. And it's not like sven has trouble farming.
sven must be in proximity. troll could jungle on other side of map and boost team destroying tower or w/e. also agh stats are useless on sven.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
sven must be in proximity. troll could jungle on other side of map and boost team destroying tower or w/e. also agh stats are useless on sven.

Aghs stats are very good on support Sven and thats what we are seeing in 95% of cases if someone picks Sven. But he cant farm it as a support, thats the main problem. Carry Sven wont care about it too unless there is a very specific draft centred around this extra damage.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
10 all stats, 200 hp, 150 mana is not very good.
Blink should always be a priority regardless of role, and shortly after that even support Svens transition into carry items. There are options for meka and stuff along the way, but I would never pick up an agha for the sake of stats.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Its a cheap to medium level item made up from very affordable parts thats why its possible for supports to make it. 10 all stats is nice to have and cost efficient and point booster is also very cost efficient. Of course blink is always better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom