Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dota 2 Discussion (~Boston Majors & Road to TI7~)

What modes should we play?

• Total voters

Coriolanus

Learned
Nothing wrong with Techies. As a hero. The Techie players, however, are complete and utter morons in the vast majority of cases making ranked games a lot more of a gamble. Brace yourself for a 4v5 game if you've lost the Techies lottery.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Oh yes, thats true. As a support techies is one of the better due to a lot of resources they cost their enemies in reveal, due to great vision and map control they provide to their team, and with a decent setup (2s stuns on any other hero) they can do a lot of damage and disable even when enemies have true sight - single mine is up to 600 aoe dmg, so with a classic Eul into mine into remote into stasis trap with a stun in between from your ally you can do a lot.

Cromwell

Arcane
Sice I always play with mates I thought to make space for them, one of them could play a carry, I would give him the assists, or even the first blood (I#m not sure if its viable to self destruct for carry kills) and then proceed to mine our jungle (the entrances o the lane and the jungle) so that eery gank attempt ends in blown up eemies, even if they dont die from it we will be warned. Since every game in my trenchtier is a tower push 5v5 I could easily mine that and fight them off with 4 while my carry farms himself fat.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sice I always play with mates I thought to make space for them, one of them could play a carry, I would give him the assists, or even the first blood (I#m not sure if its viable to self destruct for carry kills) and then proceed to mine our jungle (the entrances o the lane and the jungle) so that eery gank attempt ends in blown up eemies, even if they dont die from it we will be warned. Since every game in my trenchtier is a tower push 5v5 I could easily mine that and fight them off with 4 while my carry farms himself fat.

Suicide squad attack wont kill most heroes at lvl 1 but it leaves them without hp so you carry can finish them off.

Cromwell

Arcane
Yes that was what my tests showed against bots, the problem is, I dont know if its viable to suicide myself and not get the kill (therefore not get the ep) but giving my cary firstblood/later kills or getting the kill myself so getting ep but the carry only gets the assisst because he does the damage before I suicide.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes that was what my tests showed against bots, the problem is, I dont know if its viable to suicide myself and not get the kill (therefore not get the ep) but giving my cary firstblood/later kills or getting the kill myself so getting ep but the carry only gets the assisst because he does the damage before I suicide.

Its viable. You get enough assist gold for instant teleport if you need it, respawn timer is 5s. Thats a classic as far as techie tactics go.

The other classic is taking mines and few mana pots and mining rune spot. You get fb 50% of the time within the first few minutes.

Ninjerk

Arcane
IIRC The top of ramps are your friend as well (if there's not likely to be a ward+detection, ie. near the Radiant mid neutrals).

Cromwell

Arcane
Will try a few games today with two friends, sadly it doesnt seem it is a very good hero to play solo. Also does dust make mines visible? A friend said that in dota1 it did not because they were magic immune and dust was considered magic?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
IIRC The top of ramps are your friend as well (if there's not likely to be a ward+detection, ie. near the Radiant mid neutrals).

Rune spots, top of the ramps, trees near the lanes, Roshan, under the towers are all classic spots for mines. Good techie can even handle gem a bit with mines in trees.

polo

Magister
Blade mail wont afect techies when bombs explode. Bug i hope.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Its not a bug, blade mail does not affect visage when his familiars attack you why would it be any different with mines? Techies is hard to play as is.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Its not a bug, blade mail does not affect visage when his familiars attack you why would it be any different with mines? Techies is hard to play as is.
What's the rationale for Pugna's ward and BM interaction? Don't ward procs also cause corrosive skin procs?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

What's the rationale for Pugna's ward and BM interaction? Don't ward procs also cause corrosive skin procs?

Eh thats a tricky one and probably a bug one way or another. Ward is a separate unit and should be treated as such ie immune to magic thus immune to blade mail. No idea why it would cause corrosive skin procs. No point really, pugna isnt that strong anyway.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Eh thats a tricky one and probably a bug one way or another. Ward is a separate unit and should be treated as such ie immune to magic thus immune to blade mail. No idea why it would cause corrosive skin procs. No point really, pugna isnt that strong anyway.
That's what I thought the last time I picked him :(

polo

Magister
It's too easy to do First blood with techies suicide. At lvl 1 it deals tons of damage, also with a mine + suicide you can basically leave a trilane in coma for your carry to kill.

curry

Arcane
By the way, it's very easy to turtle up and defend your base against squishy heroes with techies. A good techies player can single handedly make the game 20 mins longer even if his team gets smashed.

polo

Magister
Yup, its crazy the amount of aoe damage that fucker can deal.

Cromwell

Arcane
Played two games as Techies now, and its suprisingly funny. Although I am not very good we managed to win both games, If something did not work I proceeded to just mine the towers and wait for the inevitable push, with this we could defend with 2 or 3 heroes against five of them leaving our carry to farm. After they got fat enough I went and pushed the lanes while they stomped them with 4.

I also had one game with a techi in my team, which until the end of the game never really rigged any towers or teamfight spots, and just tried to get kills on the map which made it very hard to def against thjeir team and we lost, since we pretty much played as four against 5. He always tried to lure one or more heroes in his bomb "nests" which consist of one or two bombs which didnt do enough damage to make a difference and he either died or ran away with ten percent hp. Its interesting that with techis as far as I can see you either can make a big impact or none at all, theres nothing really in between.

For the guys with more experience than me: If I would play Silencer or pudge and he suicides me do I get a stack mana/str if I die since we die simultaneously or do I only get that if I survive the suicide attack?

Cromwell

Arcane
For the guys with more experience than me: If I would play Silencer or pudge and he suicides me do I get a stack mana/str if I die since we die simultaneously or do I only get that if I survive the suicide attack?

you don't get anything because you die first

Good to know, so against techies as silencer a rod of atos would not be bad to get a little buffer.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Good to know, so against techies as silencer a rod of atos would not be bad to get a little buffer.
Maybe a Euls since Atos won't stop him from doing anything once he has blink. Euls does a little bit of damage to an enemy when they come down so their blink dagger is disabled.

EDIT: Also, if his remotes are anything like they were in WC3 DotA like 10 years ago, they reveal a split second before they blow up and you can throw yourself in the air when he triggers them (I haven't played against him yet so I don't know for sure).

G a R M

Novice

Maybe a Euls since Atos won't stop him from doing anything once he has blink. Euls does a little bit of damage to an enemy when they come down so their blink dagger is disabled.

EDIT: Also, if his remotes are anything like they were in WC3 DotA like 10 years ago, they reveal a split second before they blow up and you can throw yourself in the air when he triggers them (I haven't played against him yet so I don't know for sure).

Techies blink doesn't seem that effective. Sure you can suicide...but even at level 16 that's a 2 1/2 minute cooldown. Going blink either means either:
  • Getting it early before scepter, which then means you'll have a shit mana pool and won't be able to mine as much
or
  • Getting it after sceptor, so by the time you have it, the enemies will most likely have items to deal with the damage (like Pipe and AC) and the carry will have a BKB, completely negating your remote mines
You're going to need something like Tranquils and Soul Ring before the blink or sceptor....and chances are you'll be supporting as Techies....so where are you going to get this gold? Either you jungle for it, and risk getting ganked because you have shit movement speed and no mana left to respond to the enemy due to using it all placeing mines for the creeps....or you get it in lane which means you're like playing as a 3 or 2 rather than a 4--if that's the case then your team is fucked, plain and simple.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom