Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dota 2 Discussion (~Boston Majors & Road to TI7~)

What modes should we play?

• Total voters

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
50b0c937826cbc84bc502ca167d077be6cd36ed4_full.jpg

Greatness

Cipher
So tired of the current meta. Every single game ends up with the same OP heroes (Brew, DP, Tide, Void, Rhasta, Skywrath, Razor, Tinker, Lycan). I understand they didn't wanna fuck with the game too much with the international going on, but I'm really having a tough time finding the motivation to keep repeating the same shit every game.

curry

Arcane
So tired of the current meta. Every single game ends up with the same OP heroes (Brew, DP, Tide, Void, Rhasta, Skywrath, Razor, Tinker, Lycan). I understand they didn't wanna fuck with the game too much with the international going on, but I'm really having a tough time finding the motivation to keep repeating the same shit every game.

The International ended and the new patch is coming soon. Expect the meta to change.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

The International ended and the new patch is coming soon. Expect the meta to change.

The meta changes all the damn time, brew razor skywrath and viper werent picked ever just few months before TI. I see no point in complaining about whats "in" unless you absolutely hate the heroes picked but even then there is enough variability in the picks.

Greatness

Cipher
Maybe it's just me, but the current meta feels like one of the worst I've seen in dota. The only worse one being the lame "rat doto" popularized by Alliance, but even that made for some epic games like the TI3 finals.

Now days it's just sub 35 minute stomps and "deathball" lineups every game (at least in my MMR bracket). Hopefully the new patch is a big one, we haven't had a new hero in 6 months.

Greatness

Cipher
What about Tide whom wins 1v1 against every melee hero (and most ranged) in the game without even trying? Lycan whom just avoids team fights and kill roshan/towers/rax in seconds without even having any items. Void who can solo anyone in the game with just treads/MoM from 10 mins onward and who will also outcarry late game as well. Or Brew who feels like autowin even in my 5k+ bracket. /endrant

curry

Arcane
What about Tide whom wins 1v1 against every melee hero (and most ranged) in the game without even trying? Lycan whom just avoids team fights and kill roshan/towers/rax in seconds without even having any items. Void who can solo anyone in the game with just treads/MoM from 10 mins onward and who will also outcarry late game as well. Or Brew who feels like autowin even in my 5k+ bracket. /endrant

Try counterpicking instead of just clicking random, dumbass :lol:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

This. I've see sing sing play pubs, he always losses with random unless he randoms a fitting hero for the game.

Greatness

Cipher

I never random. I don't even play AP. I'm not even complaining about losing. I do win the majority of my games, mostly just because I pick the standard stuff. That's my problem with it. If I do pick unusual heroes the chances of winning are drasticaly lowered assuming the other team picks the usual OP stuff; there just isn't enough bans to get rid of it all and I'd debate whether viable "counters" even exist in these scenarios. Some heroes/playstyles are just too strong at the moment relative to everything else.

Take DP or Brew. There are very few heroes that could shut them down mid. Maybe the typical Viper/Razor whom beat 99.9% of all other heroes in lane, but even against those heroes DP/Brew will get by well enough with bottle crowing and usually end up winning the game by themselves.

You can try building a lineup that focuses on ganking them or dual midding, but then you're giving space to other lanes, and even if you do shut them down, they are item independant. Brew only needs 2150 for his blink and he's only slightly less effective than if he were 6 slotted. DP only needs the 2700 for euls or a BKB and then she's gonna be doing more DPS than a farmed carry and killing towers even faster than one.

You get the same problems with offlanes like Void or Tide whom have absurdly strong and easy laning/ults compared to everything else in the game. Rhasta guarantees you take a tower every 100 secs at almost no risk, while still also having very high dmg and probably the strongest CC in the game. Skywrath will out harass anything in lane from complete safety and then can run around with his ult doing more damage than even a lion/lina aghs-ult all on a rediculous 20 second cooldown.

I'm sure the meta is much better when playing actual 5stack vs 5stack games, but in pubs it's grown very stale. Even if you do draft something different your team will just give up before the game starts because you gave the enemy void/lycan/etc.

Coriolanus

Learned
Gaben started to take his pants off slowly, watching the drones below hard at work shipping the techies update.

He sat down behind his desk and picked up the phone.

"Get me Phreak on the phone now." Gaben gargled through a mouth full of pork rinds.

The receptionist assured him it would be just a moment, if he could hold please. He could hold. He's been holding this for years. Soon the sweet release would be upon him and all would be right in the world, his debt to Riot paid.

"Hello, this is Phreak from Riot Games, bringing you tons of damage!"

The conversation lasted 5 seconds. Gaben breathed heavily into the phone.

"It's done".

Gaben then hung up the phone and looked at the clock on the wall. I had a good life, he thought. I was fair, I stood up for my beliefs, but this day had to come. Might as well be today, no sense putting it off any longer.

Gaben took off his underwear and started masturbating furiously. It would all be over soon he thought. Let's give them something to talk about.

When the stakeholders barged into Gaben's office hours later, after finding that Dota 2's popularity had plummeted and League of Legends found itself with an influx of new players, they found Gaben naked, reclining back in his office chair, covered in blood and piss and shit and cum. Written on the walls all over his office in the putrid mixture was the words "It wasn't my fault".

Cromwell

Arcane
So Techies are evil? I had not much ime yesterday so I tried them out only against bits just to se how they are controlled what they do and so on, and I concluded they are fucking boring. Since 15 Minutes against bot has no meaning I will ask here, how when and why to play techies? I get that most likely in Pubs the people will get blown up and then spam the chat but as far as I can see that playing against techies is playing against a 4 team since techies have nothing beside their self destruct? Bombs can be diffused by ranged and beside that techies dont have that much to bring to a team.

So for people not as noobish as me, what am I missing, how would you play them and why (aside from the fun one can have when people blow themselves up)

Coriolanus

Learned
You know, the worst kind of players? Ones that pick Pudge in a ranked game vs. a team full of Pudge counters because they have a dildo grabber autographed by Dendi and run around not landing a single good hook by minute 40?

Techies pickers on average are the absolute worst of the Dota 2 player pool. The "I TROLE MY TEAM SO FUNY", "U MAD bR0? my team So MAD at me kek" type. 99% of the time the game will be heavily tilted before the creeps even spawn (the other 1% is the Techies who can actually play him, those are incredibly rare). This effectively makes AP matches less about skill and more about whoever gets the luck of the draw to get the Techies instant pick on the other team.

Last edited:

Cromwell

Arcane
Well I did most of my last Games as pudge because he#s fun, and I would like to play him better well I know what you're getting at. But what you said doesnt say uch abou the hero itself, only about retards who play him, that was what I expected from a hero who relies on mines and blowing himself up, probably coupled with with /all alluah akbar.

He seems so boring to play, maybe I can play him as a wall of mines against pushes, then I would have to guess where to put them to not make them go off from creeps. So I would build soulring, forcestaff to force someone in my shit as necessarry and boos of travel to mine the whole map, or go do soemthing worthwhile while my team fights, since I dont think techies contribute much to a teamfight when suicide is on cd and mines are there already.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Techies can be a fun hero, you need to learn proper mine spots and hope that your team will kill the gem carriers every time.

He also has a decent role as a support - he can easily farm, can stack ancients and kill them with mines therefore he can afford wards for his team and items for himself, he can quickly farm scythe or Eul and with those he can abuse his amazingly strong stasis traps.

The classic build for techies is BoT, dagger, soul ring into Eul and scythe, sometimes blood stone, perhaps etheral blade if you are loaded. IIRC suicide squad attack does 1550 dmg in aoe so dagger plus suicide is a huge battle contribution - better than sk or es ult but in a smaller range.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom