Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dota 2 Discussion (~Boston Majors & Road to TI7~)

What modes should we play?

• Total voters

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I heard many opinions stating that earth spirit is OP but cant get why it would be so from reading his spirits. Ember spirit was indeed quite OP before the ult nerf now he seems mediocre at best.

Cromwell

Arcane
Ember has 3 fucking battlefuries in his recommended build. one of which is in his core items, no wonder theyall built it. I tried him for the first time against bots, tried to build an orchid for heavier int mana reg and a little damage / attack speed. I think early on you get enough damage out of his shield which is a half bkb and his bolas, so you dont need any damage items like battlefury. his ae attack is laughable when he always gets back to where he was even with the plus damage. Would build orchid and early orb of venom until skadi later and damage mainly with spells and a little auto.

Cromwell

Arcane
How would one solve his mana problems without sacrificing to much damage? One battlefury? Skadi takes to long to get, Orchid is not as effective as i had hoped, and if I see this right hes squishy as fuck without any good way to escape. I tried to set remnants on safe laces, go farm with aura and escape to them if it gets dangerous but I died almost every time noticing these fucking things don't stand there long enough.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How does bfury solve his mana problem? Its only regen anyway and he has a pathetic INT gain. Besides his skills arent very mana intensive especially if you rely on sleight of fist which is 50 mana every 6 seconds. And aura lasts long enough to be very mana effective.

I think phase boots/power treads into desolator make sense for him. If you need more mana build drums.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
How would one solve his mana problems without sacrificing to much damage? One battlefury? Skadi takes to long to get, Orchid is not as effective as i had hoped, and if I see this right hes squishy as fuck without any good way to escape. I tried to set remnants on safe laces, go farm with aura and escape to them if it gets dangerous but I died almost every time noticing these fucking things don't stand there long enough.

Linken?
Or that agi ring we can make with Basilus? Can change it into Vlad after a while too.

How do you even play ember spirit? Raoming and ganking and hoping to snowball seems the only way. He has absolutely shit tier stats gain in every stat. Nothing that would allow him to carry properly, he does have nuke damage and mobility though. Orchid might work on him which amps up his main sources of damage as well as gives him that mana and AS he needs, continue with a desolator and a linkens or something.

Cromwell

Arcane
How do you even play ember spirit? Raoming and ganking and hoping to snowball seems the only way. He has absolutely shit tier stats gain in every stat. Nothing that would allow him to carry properly, he does have nuke damage and mobility though. Orchid might work on him which amps up his main sources of damage as well as gives him that mana and AS he needs, continue with a desolator and a linkens or something.

I tried iot with orchid, ok it was against bots on unfair so take it not to serious, it stopped working after about 8 minutes when the other bots started to teamfight. I dont want to play him in live matches, bots are as bad as players but at least they dont flame if you test things. His burst damage doesn't seem that high and if you are not careful you will get killed as soon as they have farmed enough damage since your bolas dont stun them. after all your still a melee and your aura doesnt help you against stuns. the range of the remnants felt really short to use them properly.

I like storm spirit way more as a ganker.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yup, ember is an early-mid game ganker at best. I usually get a linken early on him if my gangs are succesfull followed by either deso or bkb.
But he is easily countered if enemy team sticks together and lose any hope to get effective and game.

ASTRAL

Arcane
Played him for the first time today 10-0 and 5-7 .Won my lanes by maxing Q and E first .
In team fights you should probably stay the fuck out and only spam W for aoe dmg only engaging on low hp heroes that try to run .Also Orb of venom is pretty cool for the mass slow .

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Earth Spirit is ridiculous because of how fucking mobile he is. 1600 range force staff that slows, damages on hit, and has a 4! second cd, a 2.5 damaging stun/rescue mechanic, a silencing, decent cool down nuke, and ultimate DoT that you can renew out to a pretty long range. His stones regen decently fast too, so you usually don't have to worry about running out of them.

He is very strong mid, as you will never lose a rune race if you position your remnants correctly. Add, on top of that, his ridiculous combo potential and you get a very strong early game ganker who transitions into a great utility hero later. I'm enjoying him alot.

Played him for the first time today 10-0 and 5-7 .Won my lanes by maxing Q and E first .
In team fights you should probably stay the fuck out and only spam W for aoe dmg only engaging on low hp heroes that try to run .Also Orb of venom is pretty cool for the mass slow .

Going crits on Ember is also really fun once you get that low cooldown on your W. It's like a jugg ult every 6 seconds.

Xin is pretty bad overall. His stat gain is awful, he has no armour and his mana costs are considerable. I wouldn't consider him a carry at all. He's also a god awful laner. As a roaming ganker I guess he can be decent, but bolas are unreliable and actually casting bolas during sleight of fist (which should be his most reliable way to land the skill) isn't that easy. I feel his best skill is his shield.

Kaolin on the other hand is awesome and very useful at all stages of the game. His laning presence is really good and his basic combo is pretty easy actually (throw a rock behind them, E them in, then W into them and Q them back).

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Xin is a fine carry. He farms quickly, sleight of fist benefits massively from farm, and he's got an incredibly strong escape mechanism. He's just a carry that casts spells more than right clicks, like most int carries.

He's just a carry that casts spells more than right clicks, like most int carries.

This is exactly why he's a bad carry. I mentioned you can play him as a roaming ganker into semicarry, and that's fine. But being limited to a 4s CD on which to proc your shit isn't by any means comparable to chopping 3 times every second and tanking everything like say, and alch would. Or blowing someone up in half a second like a manta magina. Of course Xin benefits from items, but the CD restriction is a fairly big deal.

Damned Registrations

Not that big a deal. Works just fine for necrolyte. And he doesn't benefit from items nearly as much.

The problem is people gank with him too much. E is an awesome farming tool that puts you way ahead early game, especially with ult for two way tp's. But people try to roam and gank, fall behind in farm, and never become relevant.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
He is a melee carry that does not have a built in magic immunity (naix/jugger) no awesome teamfight ult (void) cant split push well (am) doesnt have a stun (ck). So what does he have going for him? A damaging shield and a shitty micro omnislash? Random not really disable?

As a carry he is so outclassed its not even funny thats why I wouldnt pick him as one.

ASTRAL

Arcane
LOL I actually think he has all things you mention .His BIG problem are his shit stats

And probably the worst recommended build ever.

Well I mean, Necrolyte's teamfight utility is huge with his aoe heal and heartstopper, plus his potentially gamechanging ult, I don't think he's comparable at all.

Sure you can splitpush with Xin and are hard to kill, but so is someone like magina and that hero has infinitely more carry potential with a lot of items. I think Xin's strength is the mid-game where he has something like phase drum and can do some damage.

But that's just me. Maybe you've had success with a farming Xin where you're contested by a better carry on the other side, but I haven't.

Damned Registrations

Magina can't farm worth shit until he gets a bfury though, and even then he can't really farm better. Xin is devastating late game when every 4 seconds you hit the entire enemy team for 400+ damage and are nigh impossible to lock down due to your huge mobility and durability with shield and long range W.

abija

Prophet
cant split push well (am)
How exactly is AM better at splitpushing? Idk... he just seems like an extremely versatile carry, farms fast and early, has a decent escape mechanism, decent solo kill potential after lvl 6.
Didn't get to see him in super end game but he can't be that easy to handle. Maybe he can't go toe to toe with other carries but a mobile carry that rapes your support and needs full lock down to kill can't be that bad.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Build Xin with Wand>Phase>Vanguard>Vlads>desolator>blademail>vanguard//heart and have alot of fun.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
cant split push well (am)
How exactly is AM better at splitpushing? Idk... he just seems like an extremely versatile carry, farms fast and early, has a decent escape mechanism, decent solo kill potential after lvl 6.
Didn't get to see him in super end game but he can't be that easy to handle. Maybe he can't go toe to toe with other carries but a mobile carry that rapes your support and needs full lock down to kill can't be that bad.

AM has a 5 second blink and manta and cleave and all of that in 20 min. Ember has his ult with a max of what? 3 instances? With long cd compared to blink. There is no competition here.

Besides ember is stronger early game and quickly losses his power once his magic shield isnt as useful as before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom