Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Doom vs Brutal Doom - DISCUSS!

tormund

Arcane
"One could argue that Brutal Doom is tasteless in its entirety. Sergeant_Mark_IV’s apparent enthusiasm for researching real injuries has landed him in some controversy. Then again, Doom was a model of tastelessness before it"
Wanna bet that this guy first played Doom with Brutal Doom, and that his measure for original Doom's "tastelessness" was certain cheesy old Doom comic and related memes?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
He's probably referring to the bloody violence that games like Doom and Mortal Kombat pioneered.

Also I applaud the attention to gore in BD but I still haven't played it because the rest of the mod just seems retardo. Iron sights in doom, the fuck?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Also I applaud the attention to gore in BD but I still haven't played it because the rest of the mod just seems retardo. Iron sights in doom, the fuck?

Only two of the weapons have iron sights, the assault rifle (pistol replacement) and the shotgun. To be honest I haven't tested the difference between firing the shotgun normally or with iron sights, but on the assault rifle it guarantees the bullet hitting precisely where you want it to. Considering how most monsters in BD are stronger in one way or another, the iron sights aren't that useful - raw damage is almost always better than precision.

You want something real to complain about, try the really OP melee attacks you get from a Berzerk powerup, or that you have to reload most weapons (the rocket launcher only having a 6-rocket clip is a game changer).

lightbane

Arcane
To be fair, there's a "classic mode" which disables all of these changes, bringing back weapons with unlimited ammo, no fatalities and no new weaponry and such. There are also a few mods that may change that as well. Melee attacks are strong but they require to come closer to the enemy, which is a danger by itself (and bosses like the Cyber-Demon have insta-kill melee attacks of their own, plus are immune to fatalities). Most importantly though: FATALITIES ARE OPTIONAL!!! You do not need to use these at all and most certainly not abuse them, since it leaves you open to being surrounded and cut to pieces in seconds.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Explosive shotgun shells = :love:

Otherwise the weapons all feel OP, mostly because of how accurate they seem to be.

lightbane

Arcane
I like how the mod in which Duum4 was based on is still better, even with these new OP weapons straight from the NEXTGEN game. Moreover, he didn't abuse takedowns to replace quick reflexes, minimal use of brainpower and tactical planning, nor do the bodies disappear the moment you stop looking (for not to mention the enemies are actually dangerous and can be perfectly seen, without these blending in the background). And the gorey parts stick everywhere.

Ivan

Arcane
you know whats funny? whenever I play an FPS that feels remotely empowering, I always say to myself:

I Live, AGGGGGGGAAAIIN

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
you know whats funny? whenever I play an FPS that feels remotely empowering, I always say to myself:

I Live, AGGGGGGGAAAIIN

You should play Viscera Cleanup Detail - the Shadow Warrior DLC tie-in, to be more exact.

In that one, a Lo Wang-esque character has a running commentary on everything that you do in the game (pick up a severed leg and he goes "nice shoe") and when he enters the first area that needs cleanup, he goes "I clean....AAAAAGGGGAAAAIIINNN!"

Zenith

Arbiter
It's honestly baffling how many shit decisions are in this new version.

First thing you notice (as your eyes burst from the sight of it) is that he thought it'd be a good idea to reskin menus with some shitty "high definition" font that's barely readable. (Compare to what it could look like)

Then, even though there's now a whole separate menu for BD options, you still have to pass this screen on your way to start a new game. Each fucking time. And guess what, whether you choose 1) or 2), both pistol AND rifle will spawn, cluttering up the inventory (more on that later). And I doubt he ever tested his own purist mode, as in it each SG drop gives 10 shells.

"Tactical mode" is Hideous Destructor-lite, you're slowed to a third of the normal speed and have a dedicated sprint button during which you can't fire the gun. Looks all the funnier since he also cranked the weapon sway speed way up and added footstep sounds (that you can't disable).

Then there's this on the episode selection screen. No comment.

OK, you started the game, first you might think is that you've gone blind, what with the eyes bursting earlier on and whatnot. But no, he just thought it'd be cool to do a 2-seconds long fade-from-black at the start of each level. Yeah, good luck with those hot starts!

So you start playing and notice that the HUD is different as well. Why, it's because using a bunch of different fonts, in every color of the rainbow is a great improvement over zdoom's boring old one! You'll also notice he changed nukage texture into his glowstick vomit again. Don't ask why.

Weapon selection has seen some changes too. If you thought having to scroll past grenades, mancubus flamer and revenant sparklers while cycling weapons was unnecessary, have I news for you! Now you have to scroll past this abomination at #0 each time as well! Also the starting rifle is now #4, just to fuck with you.

Shit. This is beyond "typical modder" stuff. Why?!

(inb4 "it's a beta" / "brutal doom was always shit")

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
brutal doom was always shit
Well, at least its better than the original.

IbixFF6.jpg

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
There is nothing like the good old doom 1/2. I just played a little bit with ultimate doom and the railgun. Brutal doom is far better than Doom 4,where you must stop and punch shiny enemies for health.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
From the patch notes:

- Changed the Medikit and Stimpack red cross symbom to a white cross over a green background (Not like the Red Cross complained about it {yet}, but it would probably happen sometime. Besides this can now replace the goofy-looking "pill" icon of BFG Edition players.).

- Hell Knights and Barons of Hell have an actual crotch hitbox now, but you can only hit it when they are charging an attack.

- Added infrared 3x scope to Rocket Launcher alt fire.

:hmmm:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom