Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Dominions 5 Announced

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by Dayyālu, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Dayyālugender: ⚧ Arcane

Dayyālu
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    We're at it again. Early November. Some changes are baffling (REAL TIME BATTLES) but I've been at it for years, won't change now. Plus I dig some of the other changes.

I fairly liked the Dom4 approach of changes, even if in the end it's the same game. We'll see in two months, I guess.

• Brofist x 4
    • incline x 2
    • Prestigious x 2
    • Excited! x 2
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Galdredgender: ⚧ Generalist Patron

Galdred
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    That sounds great, but I didn't even have time to properly play Dom 4 yet!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Malakalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Malakal
    Parrots:
    Looks interesting, good changes but will probably need a lot of balancing.

Bless rush will get a big nerf in favor of scale builds most likely but that really depends what blesses can be active without a pretender.

Real time combat has little overall effect other than weakening the turn1 advantage and thats also a good thing.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Dayyālugender: ⚧ Arcane

Dayyālu
    Parrots:
    Scale build already got a buff in the Dom3-Dom4 switch, but I'm happy because I always liked scale-heavy nations. The bless and banishment changes are also interesting, at last Priests will be something else bar weak-undead destroyers.

I doubt it will have "little effect", as a ton of tricks will be negated (RoS\Earthquake spam, suiciding mages, suiciding mages for gem waste) and the buff cycles will become less certain. We could see a big buff of smaller Evo spells if their casting time is small, imagine what a Marignon mage phalanx could do if they can pump an insane amount of Pillars of Fire spam before the enemy can set up battlefield-wide counters. It's no longer a matter of turn order, it's a matter of casting time: I presume a battlefield-wide protection spell will require time and thus leaving a good piece of the army unprotected.

This will also weaken Flyers, as they won't necessarily get the first strike in now. Can't wait to see it in action, though.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Malakalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Malakal
    Parrots:
    OK I take back my words, saw a guy post some bless effects - F now can get awe, D can now get fear. Seems like bless effects have become vastly more powerful.

Still, it will be a timing issue and bless rush will be more all in.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. thesheeepgender: ⚧ Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    Very interesting. I will watch this one closely.

^ Top  
  7. Malakalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Malakal
    Parrots:
    Here is F and D blesses. Fire shield, awe, explosion on death and fear, reforming flesh seem most interesting here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is S and N. S seems massively buffed with ethereal on bless and very cheap magic weapons access, there is also penetration and 50% spell range and those are big too. N has recuperation and regeneration but also the always nice berserker.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 4
    ^ Top  
  8. Dayyālugender: ⚧ Arcane

Dayyālu
    Parrots:
    Some of the images don't work. Pliz fix.

The bless list looks mightily interesting, a ton of viable options. And the combos look like a fascinating option. The long reign of N9E4 is at its end, at last.

^ Top  
  9. Malakalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Malakal
    Parrots:
    The images are fine, I had some issues linking so the IMGs are remnants of my attempts. I will post more images once I get my hands on them.

Looks like stuff like a rainbow with mage tailored bless could be strong.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Malakalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Malakal
    Parrots:
    Right, here is B blesses, very straightforward it seems. Blood bond shares damage between nearby sacreds and blood surge is a temporary bonus on enemy unit kill. How will blood bond work with massive damage spells like gifts from heaven? Only time will tell.

[​IMG]

Also EA Rus confirmed.

^ Top  
  11. Malakalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Malakal
    Parrots:
    Ok here we have all blesses.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. I'm With Her Hobo Elfgender: ⚧ for prison Arcane

Hobo Elf
    Parrots:
    This came out of nowhere and it's pretty close to release as well. Wish they'd try to work on making the game more SP friendly, but Illwinter is probably not interested in even attempting that.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. mondblutgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

mondblut
    Parrots:
    :bounce:
    Show Spoiler
    :negative: not a word about ai again. dear Illwinter, pls finally stop forcing us to play with the other meatbags.

• Despair x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Raghargender: ⚧ Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    Wanna SP? Get a pirated version.

This would be nice freeware game, when they wouldn't charge 30-50$ for it.

• retadred x 4
    • Disagree x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Grifgender: ⚧ Learned

Grif
    Parrots:
    Oh man. I didn't realise they were already this close to releasing Dom5.

^ Top  
  16. Dayyālugender: ⚧ Arcane

Dayyālu
    Parrots:
    They merely can't. AI would collapse under the strain. CoE is as near as a SP-focused, lite Dominions we will get, and it's challenging not thanks to AI but thanks to roguelite elements and "crap to find and fight".

More deserving of my money that 99.5% of "proper games". Not even talking about AAA games, if only indie devs had the focus of the Illwinter guys we would be golden. And we are better off than in the Dark Ages of Dom3. What was the platform they used them, it was like, hell

It helps they don't give a shit about balance :lol::lol::lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. thesheeepgender: ⚧ Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    To me, the biggest issues are the UI, no usable SP and how insanely long turns can take in the later game. At least the realtime battles and better logging should help with the second one somewhat.
    The UI looks barely touched at all :negative:

That's just wrong.
    All they would have to do is make some proper campaign AI that can be reasoned with. They don't even need to touch the spell, army composition, etc. AI. And some very simple diplomacy could very easily be done. After all, the AI already seems to be following some agenda - nothing prevents adding some diplomacy here.
    Of course they couldn't create an AI for a game like this that could keep up with a decent player, but I doubt anyone would expect that.
    But some basic alliance forming, maybe target setting, trading and non-aggression pacts would go a long way.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. mondblutgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

mondblut
    Parrots:
    Yes, yes, yes. Nobody needs a fucking Deep Blue here, just something to entertain us while losing gracefully.

Another pet peeve of mine is notekeeping. How hard could it be to implement counters for a player to set on the map with little tooltips saying "enchantment site here", "lizard shamans prov", etc?

Cybersports jocks playing 15 province map duels get all the love :despair:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Dayyālugender: ⚧ Arcane

Dayyālu
    Parrots:
    I've never found the revised Dom4 UI particularly terrible. Wait, bar the "Wait" commands hidden as a key shortcut :lol::lol::lol:

But I guess we'll get some incremental streamlining. With roadbuilding and a new focus on fortresses, they are needed.

It's not wrong, per se. Dominions SP is already "go and fight everything because there is nothing else and the AI can't deal with the minutiae".

Dominions AI is indeed very basic, and all it takes into considerations are troops numbers. Basic diplomacy could be done, but the meat of Dominions is the interaction between the strategic layer and the tactical layer, the "spell, army composition, etc. AI", that nowadays acts kinda randomly. Strategic AI is non-existent.

Would some simple diplomacy helps SP larping? Probably. Still won't help the basic problems of Dominions SP AI, and I prefer CoE SP to Dom SP if I need to merely play against braindead AI. Less micro, more toys. It's just me though.

Wait, you don't keep paper notes of all your games with specific data about provinces and poptypes? Are you insane?

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Joined on the 4th of Julygender: ⚧ Magister

Joined on the 4th of July
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Joined on the 4th of Julygender: ⚧ Magister

Joined on the 4th of July
    Parrots:
    Dominions would need a diplomacy system that doesn't mess with the turn sequence. So something like in Civilization or Master of Orion would not be viable.

Something simple like Warlords 2's system where you set a "stance" per every faction whether you want peace or war with them. And unless both sides have peace-stance against each other, they're at war.

^ Top  
  22. mondblutgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

mondblut
    Parrots:
    Paper notes are too 1986 for me :negative:

^ Top  
  23. HeatEXTENDgender: ⚧ Learned

HeatEXTEND
    Parrots:
    http://www.illwinter.com/dom5/index.html

Long Live Illwinter :salute:

• incline incline x 4
    • decline decline x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Malakalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Malakal
    Parrots:
    More info:
    1. time stop spell is in!
    2. Earth blesses give temper flesh and recuperation effects.
    3. Wind walker is bonus map move, fateweaving is curse on attacker effect.
    4. Blood surge is 3 att 3 str 1 def 1 reinvig on kill for a short duration.
    5. It may be possible to dispel enemy blesses with banishments.
    6. 1 point in path is 1 bless point, some nations get a national bonus like MA Marignon getting 2F and Agartha getting 2E points as long as it has at least E4.
    7. Berserk is a base of 3.
    8. Stat blesses (attack/def etc) can be taken multiple times. They are around 2 stats each.
    9. New LA nation is Pelagia, it has heavy incest lore.

^ Top  
  25. Make America Great Again Johannesgender: ⚧ Arcane

Johannes
    Parrots:
    Interesting. Impossible to say yet what exactly will be the most broken or popular kinds of builds with the new system - but seems like there'll be a lot of room for different builds.

Cautiously optimistic about RT combat, too. It's possible that it's implemented in a shitty way that dumbs the game down, but it's got a lot of potential as well. It will be very different that's for sure, in terms of what counters what in mage scripting, probably.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)