Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does Arkham Asylum get better?

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Out of all 3 Arkham games I liked Asylum the most. It doesnt have lots of pointless filler content like the other 2, its shorter and has the best story of all 3 games.
If you dont like the gameplay like the free flow combat and predator scenes then you wont like it if you continue playing it. Its more of the same with the enemies being more and more difficult to handle/better equipped.
Better than Assassins Creed by far.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Funnily enough I had the same feeling as OP when I tried the Arkham City demo. To me the game just felt popamole to the max. I had a hard time shutting up when one guy at school started describing the combat system as "masterful". Yeah, if you like smashing two buttons over and over again.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Might i take a moment of your abundant time to bitch about people who repeat 'X the goddamned batman' like it was the height of wit for the last 10 years? Yes, i actually read the original of that panel back in the 2005 and i've never felt the need to shoehorn in 'the goddamned batman' into every opportunity like it seems some goddamned man children do.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I cry bullshit on comparing the Arkham games to Assassin's Creed. They both might have somewhat repetitive gameplay (although, I think the Batman games have way more variety of enemies and types of encounters), but their gameplay mechanics are night and day.

The Arkham series has some of the best third person action game combat ever, I think. It's incredibly simple to learn, but really difficult to master (especially on harder difficulties). Compare this to the Assassin's Creed games, which has probably the worst combat of any third person action game (of this generation, anyway). AC combat is 90% "hold block until you see the opportunity for an insta-counter-kill." Batman has counter kill moves as well, but they don't insta-kill and you can't block, so the only way to protect yourself is to keep fighting and bouncing from opponent to opponent. On the harder difficulties it all becomes a really frantic juggling act and is almost like an extended rhythm game at times. Plus, it's all satisfyingly punchy and feels awesome. You can practically see the cartoon comic book "POWS!" and "THUDS!" even though they aren't there.

In the wake of Arkham Asylum basically every third person game rushed to make their combat more like Batman's (Witcher 2's combat is heavily modeled after Batman's, only not as elegant). So it's really bizarre that Ubisoft is still churning out the same Block/counter kill shit in every single one of their Ass Creed games like it's still 2007. I always wished they'd rip off a bit more of Batman's combat.

Last edited:
Arkham Asylum was okay, but it is pretty mediocre in retrospect...especially when compared to the successor.

Combat is pretty bland in the Asylum. Batman simply doesn't have enough moves in the first outing to allow for a whole lot of choice in how to approach combat. Normal mooks are dispatched through simple Punch+ Counter/Dodge game and the specialized foes mostly demand only that a certain "opener" be used on them. And some of the weapons enemies can pick up and use make certain fights feel like a chore...you've got to follow whoever might pick up a gun. The batclaw and batarangs can be used in combat, but neither are terribly handy nor interesting. The only real "special" move Bats has is the Instant Takedown which is useful, but a little bland; every time you hit a combo amount that allows for the use of a special move it's a no-brainer to input an Instant Takedown.

Arkham City was much better in this regard. The Bat's moveset is practically doubled, with some important additions like more combat gadgetry, a Fist of the North Star beatdown move, and three useful special moves to complement Instant Takedown (and make deciding what special move to use after hitting certain combo milestones and actual decision). Disarm and Destroy is probably my favorite addition, allowing you to control combat scenarios without having to play gun-tag, but there's plenty of other things Rocksteady added to actually make combat fun...for popamole stuffies.

Asylum and City have pretty similar stealth sections and none of them are particularly challenging because the AI simply can't compete with the abilities of the Caped Crusader. Asylum is probably worse because of how easy it is to win practically every stealth section by doing nothing but camping gargoyles (vantage points), going for a quick takedown, and then grappling back up to the safety of the gargoyle. The devs try to stop this strategy bluntly in Asylum by rigging gargoyles with proximity explosives in a couple sections towards the end, but it still is pretty easy to switch over to vent or grating camping. City did a much better job of adding difficulty to stealth sections with Detective Vision jammers and foes that would actually destroy all the vantage points if you gave them reason to suspect you were up there. Still, the stealth sections (in both titles) are pretty easy sans post-campaign, challenge maps that mandate a ballsier playstyle to get higher scores.

Both games rely on collect-a-thons for the majority of extra content within the campaign. Asylum's collecting rewards the player for always having Detective Vision engaged and for returning to previous areas with late-game equipment to grab the goodies that are behind [GADGET X] barriers. Arkham City indulges in this design trope as well, but not to the same degree. At least half of the collectible trophies have micro-puzzles attached to them; things that actually ask for a little bit of thought in how you make use of the wonders within the utility belt. Makes collecting actually fun at times. Arkham City also has actual sidequests to do, none of them exceedingly good, but these help to throw in some second-tier villains as well as set up hooks for the next game's storyline.

And since both games are mainstream AAA AWESUMFESTS, they're heavily reliant on variety and set pieces. Arkham City is much better in this respect. Locations are far more diverse, both aesthetically and mechanically, in the City than the nuthouse and AC actually delivers more than one boss fight that isn't oh so.....Banal :smug:.

TL;DFR version:

Arkham Asylum is bland popamole, Arkham City is "good for what it is" popamole. City is unquestionably better from a gameplay perspective, but it might not be good enough if you don't want to put up with the core popamole that runs through both games.

Dexter

Arcane
Might i take a moment of your abundant time to bitch about people who repeat 'X the goddamned batman' like it was the height of wit for the last 10 years? Yes, i actually read the original of that panel back in the 2005 and i've never felt the need to shoehorn in 'the goddamned batman' into every opportunity like it seems some goddamned man children do.

By the way, you guys made me finally order that damned third Batman game.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Arkham Asylum was okay, but it is pretty mediocre in retrospect...especially when compared to the successor.

Combat is pretty bland in the Asylum. Batman simply doesn't have enough moves in the first outing to allow for a whole lot of choice in how to approach combat. Normal mooks are dispatched through simple Punch+ Counter/Dodge game and the specialized foes mostly demand only that a certain "opener" be used on them. And some of the weapons enemies can pick up and use make certain fights feel like a chore...you've got to follow whoever might pick up a gun. The batclaw and batarangs can be used in combat, but neither are terribly handy nor interesting. The only real "special" move Bats has is the Instant Takedown which is useful, but a little bland; every time you hit a combo amount that allows for the use of a special move it's a no-brainer to input an Instant Takedown.

Nah, you also had "throw" wherein Batman picks up the nearest thug and throws him a certain distance, you could use it to throw him at other enemies or even out of the ring/map in some circumstances (which goes against Batman's don't kill policy I guess) but yeah overall, gameplay is significantly improved in Arkham City (so much that it's hard to play Asylum after it, because you get used to all the cool new moves and abilities you get in the City).

Arkham City was much better in this regard. The Bat's moveset is practically doubled, with some important additions like more combat gadgetry, a Fist of the North Star beatdown move, and three useful special moves to complement Instant Takedown (and make deciding what special move to use after hitting certain combo milestones and actual decision). Disarm and Destroy is probably my favorite addition, allowing you to control combat scenarios without having to play gun-tag, but there's plenty of other things Rocksteady added to actually make combat fun...for popamole stuffies.

I also liked the additional enemies, such as ninjas (though you face them rarely) and armored thugs, though you can go the easy way and use instant takedown on them, it's more satisfying trying to defeat them with other moves which are harder to pull off (blade dodge takedown and beatdown).

Declinator

Arbiter
I finished Asylum and my opinion has become a bit more positive.

The fighting is still rather lackluster but it does become more interesting with a large amount of enemies. When you get bigger combos Batman starts moving faster and farther with more powerful attacks and it is surprisingly satisfying. However, the battles are not good enough to elevate the game to a "good" status but merely "okay". The challenge room battles are possibly the best part of the game and the boss battles are probably the worst part. (Aside from the narrative which is horrendous.)

The stealth parts are just dull and uninteresting. Batman is simply too fast while sneaking and the gliding + grappling hook makes it far too easy to move even faster just as silently. You do not need to care about lighting and only very little about sound. And why can you not move bodies or break any lights? Especially the light part seemed a wasted opportunity as doing that would have been very Batmanish.

I played a bit with Hard mode and as I thought, it's basically just hp bloat and more damage done by enemies. The only interesting thing about hard seemed to be that there was no attack indicator but in the end it changed very little as the thugs telegraph their attacks so well as to make the indicator unnecessary anyway. Also, some idiot made it so that the challenge room always has the indicator.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I played a bit with Hard mode and as I thought, it's basically just hp bloat and more damage done by enemies. The only interesting thing about hard seemed to be that there was no attack indicator but in the end it changed very little as the thugs telegraph their attacks so well as to make the indicator unnecessary anyway. Also, some idiot made it so that the challenge room always has the indicator.
Play more than "a bit" and actually come up with a conclusion instead of an unsubstantiated assumption.

Boss battle suck except Poison ivy and Killer croc and the entire world is bland.
This is very true. But it's very different from City... one is sandbox where one is not. Thhe baseline combat is better in City because it added more interesting enemies. And the boss battles are a lot better.

However, I think the encounters/atmosphere/story are better in Asylum, and Predator mode is about the same between the two.

Personally I also like City more but Asylum has it's strengths. No reason to not play both.

Oh and another strength is that you can actually turn off counter indicators in Asylum whereas you need NewGame+ for City.

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
Best part of Arkham is challenges, especially in City where you can do them with different characters/skillsets.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Best part of these games are the stealth/siege things where you have to neutralize a whole room of enemies. Especially the harder ones where they all have guns.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I never got around playing these games but I was stuck yesterday with the flu and decided to install Arkham Asylum on my laptop to play on my bed and while I agree it is popamole it is perhaps the finest popamole action gaming I have ever played; the combat is fast and fun, the voice acting is superb, the gadgets and stealth really make you feel like Batman and overall the game is just fun.
As much as I love games like Dark Souls it is just refreshing to just sit back and enjoy without having to grind or think too much
I had played some Arkham Knight and that felt just too generic with the bat tank and whatever, I really feel they screwed up the Metroidvania feel of AA but the original feels just great and I am quite happy I didnt get around playing it till now​

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
City was boring to me because of the 'we have to make open world ' next, i couldnt play even for an hour and i finished Asylum.

The fact that you start with everything unlocked in City does not help either

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Finished Arkham Asylum and while the last battle could have been a little more interesting overall the game is simply awesome, the game length is just about right since it never overstays it welcome and just when it began to feel a bit repetitive it ended. I am not much of a completionist but I will be doing the challenges and possibly try to 100% it.
It is one of the few games I ever wanted to replay straight away...maybe after I 100% Ill replay on hard before giving it a rest and maybe playing Arkham City over the Christamas break

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Is Asylum worth playing if you already played the later ones? I finished City and enjoyed it, got repetitive but I liked sitting on buildings and watching bad guys do bad things and then swoop down to whoop them with some righteousness. I also tried Arkham Knight but something about it stops me from getting hooked. I've tried but I keep exiting to play something else. Maybe try Asylum instead?

Ivan

Arcane
Asylum is my favorite because of its onion level design. This was completely lost in the latter 2 titles. So, given the onion level design, the game got better with time as it kept surprising me with newer and newer ways of exploring places I've already thought I had thoroughly explored. Plus, I feel like it's the only title wherein the combat is actually NOT the star of the game.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah I've seen other people say they liked stuff about the first one more than the others too. I think I'll check it out instead of Knight, thanks!

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Yeah you can button mash like an idiot and the developer probably knew that, but the joy of the combat is getting the longer combos and better bonuses, plus that doesnt work AT ALL on Hard which is the real way to plat Arkham
After doing some of the combat challenges in Asylum I really feel like damn Batman for surviving 4 combats without getting hit and chaining 10 15 hits while moving like a damn ninja master kicking ass
While games tend to be geared so most patient gamers can beat it, having extra difficulty levels or challenges for more hardcore ganers is the best way to go

pippin

Is Asylum worth playing if you already played the later ones? I finished City and enjoyed it, got repetitive but I liked sitting on buildings and watching bad guys do bad things and then swoop down to whoop them with some righteousness. I also tried Arkham Knight but something about it stops me from getting hooked. I've tried but I keep exiting to play something else. Maybe try Asylum instead?

Asylum is smaller, but the content is better distributed. The Riddle challenges are possible to do without subjecting yourself into an epilepsy attack just to have a chance. The game itself is more of a Metroidvania experience than an open world one, and the gameplay is obviously a bit simpler, but I think you'll like it.
Asylum is 20 hours long. City can be 40 hours long or more, depending on your completionist fixation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom