Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you get annoyed at the state of RPGs?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
RPGs? What about gaming in general, no matter the genre? Shit's a disgrace. Everything I once loved is gone, yet I hold out for that very rare very good or somewhat good modern game, when really I should just let go. There's little left to love.
:negative:

Just stick to the classics and explore old games you missed. There's a lot of old games, and new content for them in the form of mods. Not all is lost.

Fuck games. I post here because I like the genre this site is supposed to cater to. Unless it is a squad strategy game with heavy rpg elements like Blackguards 1 (not stupid streamlined 2) or the new XComs, who gives a shit? Not me, because only one genre matters.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Im more annoyed by the state of FPS and RTS genres.

Not to mention that its been a long time since we got anything remotely similar to Wing Commander or Freespace.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I don't feel annoyed, if anything I feel happy that there is some dev out there doing this genre the way I can enjoy it again.

Like back when you were a young boy playing Skyrim? Oh, the good old days of a couple years ago. How I pine for thee!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
]

They are not good rpgs by any stretch of the imagination. Hell, one of them forces you to play a completely established character. These are action games with rpg lite elements. And also filthy console trash for fucking idiot console monkeys with no taste and less brains.

And what is the reason real rpgs that aren't hipster fodder (and aren't even real rpgs) are completely shit on and hated and far less popular on a fucking rpg site?
I take it that you play like 3 games over and over and over.Witcher 3 is not much of rpg outside of its levelling mechanics,but is damn good story telling game.As of Skyrim,well it is a good rpg(ROLE playing game) if nothing else it have freedom to roleplay and huge world to do it in.By the way you sound like a fucking hipster "look at me how hip i am,i play only 80s 90s rpg because everything else that i have never tried is trash".If you can't even see the positives and the negatives on a rpg/rpgish game and just bitch about it,then you are just
:shitandpiss:

Morkar Left

I think we got A LOT of traditional rpgs. More than I can play atm. The problem is, there wasn't one that made EVERYTHING good and therefore became a classic.

AOD - choices and consequences, but stuck to one char build in a playthrough (and therefore negating the choices), no exploration, single player (personal taste, but leads to the problem with negating choices)
Dead State - No diplomacy and dialogue options while "adventuring", end game not dynamic / too long
Divinity OS - problably the most well regarded rpg here, story is criticized (and I can see why), lore isn't considered important
Wasteland 2 - In the latest iteration pretty good imho, but skills not fully used outside of their generic use, choices and consequences not properly implemented, "dungeons" could be better, water / traveling on the map pretty meaningless
PoE - ok, but the mmo mechanics, the card board set pieces (it doesn't feel like a living world) and bottlenecking the player through the world and story brings the whole game down. But good artwork.
SR - (Dragonfall / Hong Kong as reference) best story, great world building, lackluster char design and no exploration, easy to trivial combat (with some rare exceptions)
BG Dragonspear - an addon to a very old game, good combat encounters, questionable writing
Torment - new world, lots of writing of varied quality, not really a rpg in it (exploration, combat)
lots of indy rpgs who often made one or two things really well, but were lackluster on other things - all in all no big hit in it but enjoyable

I mostly miss the adventuring part in those rpgs compared to older ones. Surprisingly I had the most fun with RoA HD, Wasteland 2 and Sea Dogs TEHO. The later one can be considered an rpg but is very different obviously (and has alot of its ow problems). Bonus game: Dragons Dogma (but the pet system wasn't really my thing).

I'm looking the most forward to Stellar Tactics. And the Pathfinder RPG seems to hit the right spots as well.

AAA games are lost for traditional rpgs. They will always have real time third person / first person action combat. And with the 3d world comes the lack of proper party tactics and exploration. Not to mention that AAA games always want to tell you an emotionally and engaging Story instead of providing you with a living world you can truly interact with.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Quite the contrary. Last few years i enjoyed a lot of good rpg's: Adom, Tome, DCSS, Underrail.

p.s. Skyrim is abomination, Witcher3 is top notch.

Starwars

Arcane
I got annoyed a lot somewhere around 2005-2010 when you truly had to struggle to find decent RPGs. Now? Not that much, and there's been wealth of good games to play the last few years. Feel pretty happy about it actually.

Viata

Arcane
I don't feel annoyed, if anything I feel happy that there is some dev out there doing this genre the way I can enjoy it again.

Like back when you were a young boy playing Skyrim? Oh, the good old days of a couple years ago. How I pine for thee!
:what:
So if someone enjoys something you dislike, he must play Skyrim, right? How is life going for a mentally ill person that is unable to cope with people having different taste?
Life must be easier when everyone either loves and hate the same thing as you or the opposite of it.

Jinn

Arcane
I got annoyed a lot somewhere around 2005-2010 when you truly had to struggle to find decent RPGs. Now? Not that much, and there's been wealth of good games to play the last few years. Feel pretty happy about it actually.

Totally agree with this, except it was more 2005-2013 for me. I actually quit gaming entirely between 2009-2013 simple because I was so disappointed by the endless decline. Things are pretty good now in comparison to those dark times.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
RPGs? What about gaming in general, no matter the genre? Shit's a disgrace. Everything I once loved is gone, yet I hold out for that very rare very good or somewhat good modern game, when really I should just let go. There's little left to love.
:negative:

Just stick to the classics and explore old games you missed. There's a lot of old games, and new content for them in the form of mods. Not all is lost.

Yups. "strictly RPGs" people might think their genre has been declining while the "dumb-shit-for-brains-liking-different-genres" are getting showered with greatness and quality.
Guess what ?

starcraft 2, sfv, civV and onward, cod:mw2 and onward, RE5 and onward, MMOs after UO and so on.

Simplified, when making a game for person A and B, that's fine, they all like the same things. Add person C, still fine, he likes most of the things A and B do, A and B don't like everything that catering to C adds, but the net gain is still positive. Enter person D. At this point you're losing person A (he'll buy the game anyway :shittydog:), wondering what happened to his favourite game.
For every 2 persons added, one falls of at the back, while watering down the thing it set out to be, a game for person A and B.
This will stay true for as long as there are people who don't feel fullfilled without their 5-cars-6-bathrooms-3k-a-sip-drink lives. Mammon would be proud :hahano:.

Oh the humanity, right ?
Nope. Fuck em.
Play good shit you missed, replay good shit you love, be grateful when something good gets released, support incline.
:dealwithit:

eXalted

Arcane
I am pretty satisfied :smug:

8JHztrR.jpg

Norfleet

Nope. I am beyond annoyance. The Decline is inevitable and inexorable. Everything is shit.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Skyrim and Witcher 3 are the biggest 'rpg's in the world at the moment, yet are barely even RPGs. Yet stuff like DoS, Blackguards, and whatever else gets relegated to tiny indie budgets or scraping for kickstarter pennies. Does that annoy you? I feel pretty cheated.
I have fantastic classics on my GOG account. I have great action-RPGs like Witcher 3. I have great new indie cRPGs like DOS, AOD, POE, Underrail etc. So no, I don't feel I should be annoyed about the state of RPGs.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Seriously, i don't get what's so great about this "RPG" genre.

1: Mechanics and gameplay often suck
2: Story is usually shallow and suffers from lack of creativity. Aren't you tired of general Tolkien fantasy? And a few games that have "great story" in the eyes of "RPG critics" have nothing but pretentious boring plots.
3: This "C&C" mechanics... both choices and their consequences feel arbitary in most of them. And a few RPGs that do C&C right are nothing better than your average CYOA.

Kahr

Nah. There are enough enjoyable games already.
If tomorrow no new rpgs would be made i couldn't care less for the next maybe 15 years.
The length of the games helps in that.
One new interesting game every year would occupy my time enough.

eXalted

Arcane
I have dozens of RPGs to play. My time is enough to complete 2 games per year so I guess I'm settled up for life.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom