Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

DeepOcean

Arcane
I haven't played any Larian game yet. Will buy Original Sin once it is on sale because i'm a bum. However, best i can tell it seems people liked the original Divinities not because they were particularly good, but because they seemed to be made by people who cared or had good intentions, but simply didn't have the talent or means necessary to make a great game. Apparently, now they do, so those good intentions eventually paid off, and everybody is congratulating Larian for their commitment through out the years, even after so many mediocre efforts.

Would this be correct?

I dunno if I agree with you. After I played the original Divinities, I searched on the internet who were those Larian guys that make so great but unpolished games. I didn't even know who the hell were them, it was the qualities in the games that called my attention. I really don't care if developers are well intentioned, if they produce crap, they still made crap and no amount of good will will change that. The original Divinities had big flaws but big qualities as well, they were far from being mediocre, they were ambitious games. One thing is to make the conscious decision to make mediocre games and release polished turds that don't inspire or offend (go for Bioware, Blizzard and Bethesda for true mediocrity.), another thing, is to try to make ambitious games and kinda fail at it (The Divinites games even having serious flaws, are still really enjoyable games).

The key difference always had been:

While I played Skyrim I always tought "This could be so much better." , while I played a Larian game it was always "This could be so much more polished." I think people are more tolerant with developers that try to achieve even if they not always manage to do so than with developers that cynically call their mediocrity "streamlining", "modern gamming design", "acessibility" to sound as something positive.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I haven't played any Larian game yet. Will buy Original Sin once it is on sale because i'm a bum. However, best i can tell it seems people liked the original Divinities not because they were particularly good, but because they seemed to be made by people who cared or had good intentions, but simply didn't have the talent or means necessary to make a great game. Apparently, now they do, so those good intentions eventually paid off, and everybody is congratulating Larian for their commitment through out the years, even after so many mediocre efforts.

Would this be correct?

I dunno if I agree with you. After I played the original Divinities, I searched on the internet who were those Larian guys that make so great but unpolished games. I didn't even know who the hell were them, it was the qualities in the games that called my attention. I really don't care if developers are well intentioned, if they produce crap, they still made crap and no amount of good will will change that. The original Divinities had big flaws but big qualities as well, they were far from being mediocre, they were ambitious games. One thing is to make the conscious decision to make mediocre games and release polished turds that don't inspire or offend (go for Bioware, Blizzard and Bethesda for true mediocrity.), another thing, is to try to make ambitious games and kinda fail at it (The Divinites games even having serious flaws, are still really enjoyable games).

The key difference always had been:

While I played Skyrim I always tought "This could be so much better." , while I played a Larian game it was always "This could be so much more polished." I think people are more tolerant with developers that try to achieve even if they not always manage to do so than with developers that cynically call their mediocrity "streamlining", "modern gamming design", "acessibility" to sound as something positive.

Fair enough, but i'd say the point i was trying to make still stands, i just got the details wrong.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Which divinities evoked those feelings DeepOcean ? I tried playing Divine Divinity and that sure wasn't a pleasant experience at all. Any other games that aren't too close to Diablo for my taste?
Divinity 1 was awesome. If you dont like Diablo don't play hack and slash RPGs. Some people....

DeepOcean

Arcane
Which divinities evoked those feelings DeepOcean ? I tried playing Divine Divinity and that sure wasn't a pleasant experience at all.
Divinity 1 was abit painful on the too long, repetitive and mindless dungeon sections but it had Ultimaish qualities that are rare at that time and even today. Simple things like characters noticing you are in places you weren't supposed to be, enviromental puzzles and enviromental interactivity the way it's done on the Ultima series that died with Ultima 7.

Divinity 1 was and unneven game, sometimes really clever on the quest solutions and enviromental interaction and sometimes with the combat was really weak. Anyway, a big open world, Ultima inspired game with a ton of content was something rare and still is so I kinda forgiven the game for the Diablo combat with shitty animations and no enemy variety. Did you reach the main town or the first dungeon defeated your will to continue?

I tried playing Divine Divinity and that sure wasn't a pleasant experience at all. Any other games that aren't too close to Diablo for my taste?

Play Divinity 2, it is a much better game, it has the trademark clunky combat of Larian pre D:OS but alot more tolerable this time. It is a massive game with the usual Ultimaish elements with some clever interations with the enviroment, open world, alot of options to customize your character, the writing hit the brillantly funny and charming level on some places, most quests always had some small details/lore to make the world feel alive and were more than just kill 15 boars.

You can have a tower that has some impact on gameplay, can become a dragon and read NPC minds(the execution was clunky, kinda simplistic and could be better polished but were still alot of fun).

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I wouldn't say Divinity 2 is a much better game. It's different, certainly not better though.

Delterius

Arcane
Which divinities evoked those feelings DeepOcean ? I tried playing Divine Divinity and that sure wasn't a pleasant experience at all. Any other games that aren't too close to Diablo for my taste?
Divinity 1 was awesome. If you dont like Diablo don't play hack and slash RPGs. Some people....
You may be possibly retarded but I get that my comment was a bit too dismissive. Truth be told I can't say I dislike hack and slash RPGs. In fact far from me to universally hate all of Diablo, the first entry in that series was great fun with my older brother even if we didn't get to finish it. With DD the lack of polish really shows and if other earlier Larian titles also suffered from it, I feel that I might as well search for those that didn't adhere to the inherently repetitive fashion of Diablo.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Lyric Suite Okay time for me to stop playing dumb (actually because I'm lazy and someone wrote it out for me), DeepOcean describes why Divinity games are fun:
it had Ultimaish qualities that are rare at that time and even today. Simple things like characters noticing you are in places you weren't supposed to be, enviromental puzzles and enviromental interactivity the way it's done on the Ultima series that died with Ultima 7.
The main thing I found "not good" about the previous Divinities was horrible combat.

But hey, I was motivated to slog through the horrible combat for some reason, and it's sure as hell not because of caring about intention because I haven't bothered to play PoE or AoD.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I just got this alert thingy pointing me to this thread, but i don't know why and what for. What is it? Who are you people? WHERE AM I?

DramaticPopcorn

Well, yeah but, the feedback being given was afwully specific at times, so it begs a question of how they're going to translate that onto their next game unless it's going to be the exact copy of this one...

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The feedback was taken from fans' suggestions sent to the devline, although they did cherry-pick a few topics from a larger pool, obviously.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From the last update from Dex: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dreadlocks/dex-cyberpunk-2d-rpg/posts/971402

Larian Enforcement

9bbe3dad9baf8c45a9dd11f1c5d1f650_large.png

Our other big news is that we got a new team member, Axel Droxler, who was lead designer of the critically acclaimed Divinity: Original Sin. He came to Prague from Belgium after six years of game design/quest design for Larian Studios, working on most of the titles from the Divinity series. Axel has been working with us since September and you will be able to see the results of his work in the next major content update with the new quest batch (expected for mid-December). Axel is now working closely with Jan and the efforts of both our designers will result in more elaborate quests, deeper character backgrounds, and a better game in general.

mydnight

Educated
So about 10 hours into the game; combat is great -- why on earth is it in full 3d? Camera can't rotate fully which makes it impossible to click on things sometimes. Still think they should have had something closer to ToEE is terms of the 'camera'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom