Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

(B) Secondly, Bodybuilding and Willpower are equally useful for all characters. Stop thinking in your stupid little box of classes. However you customize your characters, you will face Bodybuilding saves: Charmed, Cursed, Fear, Frozen, Mute, Petrified, Slowed and Stunned. and Willpower saves : Bleeding,Blinded,Burning, Crippled, Diseased, Drunk,Infectious Disease, Knocked Down and Weak.
You got them mixed up. Charmed and Fear are definitely Willpower. Knockdown and Blind are Defintiely Bodybuilding.

circ

Arcane
They removed the xp boost to henchmen when you hire them, so you have to have them level them up to your level through quests and killing mobs. Which if you're level 20 and hire a level 1, well.

Cain for me has 5 levels in man-at-arms, which is even better in my book. I think there was some decent sounding talent that required maa 5. Elessa, eeh. Although, yeah, maxed witchcraft and hydro at 3 too. She could probably easily max another 2 magic schools. But dat talents! Why pack mule why?? That's probably what turned me off initially without bothering to look at the other scores. Only talent of hers I'd actually give her is far out man. Elemental Affinity sounds good, but who's seriously going to stand in say poison or fire, or blow ap putting up elemental shields just for that situation. Obviously mobs can change that with arrows or magic, but way too situational, I'd rather pick talents that are useful in more circumstances.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
But how do you get to level 20 without henchmen in the first place (unless you're a lone wolf)? And if you do, what's the point of hiring them then?

Oh, fuck, yeah, I have no idea why I typed bodybuilding. Obv Cain has man at arms. And the only good talent with maa 5 requirement is the picture of health atm - after the introduction of resistance cap, weather the storm became kinda worthless. Pity.

As for Elessa - once again, henchmen can't trade talents for ability points and there are just no 7 talents which you really want for them. Especially for the mage.

And elemental affinity is quite good. Like, fire elemental affinity yeah, is a chore. Air is even shittier because you need electrified clouds which are hard to create and they fuck up your party. But! Earth elemental affinity is fixed by taking zombie - suddenly, standing in poison is beneficial for you. Water elemental affinity is puddle of water (either water arrows or barrels with water - kinda chore) or ice. Ice is really easy to create before combat and once you know how to prevent slipping on it, it becomes pretty cool, especially since water magic has a lot of cheap spells (which benefit the most from affinity). FInally, witchcraft (which she has maxed) is blood (not really obvious, but it is) and blood is real easy to create - just hit Elessa once, heal her up and you're set up for the combat. BDSM for the win! And witchcraft also has lots of cheap spells - you can do drain willpower, blind and oath of desecration at just 7 ap with this trick.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
(B) Secondly, Bodybuilding and Willpower are equally useful for all characters. Stop thinking in your stupid little box of classes. However you customize your characters, you will face Bodybuilding saves: Charmed, Cursed, Fear, Frozen, Mute, Petrified, Slowed and Stunned. and Willpower saves : Bleeding,Blinded,Burning, Crippled, Diseased, Drunk,Infectious Disease, Knocked Down and Weak.
You got them mixed up. Charmed and Fear are definitely Willpower. Knockdown and Blind are Defintiely Bodybuilding.
I copypastad from Divinity Wikia. My B.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
If you make stupid statements then you get a foot up your ass.

There's a difference between stupidity and the entirely understandable ignorance that comes from not having played the game for very long yet. Your lame and impotent "foot up my ass" is pretty much just you acting like an autist because you think someone's being mean to your game on the Internet.
A) Uh, my game? Since when did I say it's a great game. I reiterate it's a game with a lot of issues. A lot of issues that you don't even know about, and are more prominent than the ones you mentioned.
B) It's called schadenfreude. I'm not even defending the game. I'm pointing out that you're a fucking moron in terms of playing the game, which has nothing to do with whether the game is good or bad. I'm saying you are bad. And again the game is a decent game but not great, and has many issues that you either don't know about or know because you've read someone saying it somwhere.
C) Read up on the game before you play it. It's not metagaming to read a Wiki, it's basically the manual that Larian did not provide. Nobody's telling you to read about the quests.
D) If you're not going to read the Wiki, and you just started the game, and don't know anything about the game, then how can you even make judgments on stuff such as:

• Charisma is by all accounts fairly useless aside from a very few notable exceptions.
  • Lockpicking is relatively skippable thanks to bashing, although there again, perhaps that's preferable to mechanically forcing Lockpicking to be the only means of accessing locked stuff.
  • If you're making a Rogue, your customization options are extremely limited, especially if you're not skipping Lockpicking and/or Pickpocketing.
  • Sword-and-board not nearly tanky enough to justify far shittier damage, or so I've read, ESPECIALLY since it calls for an additional skill.
  • Hybridization severely weakens a character, limiting viable customization choices.

So, you make claims, and then you excuse yourself from your wrong claims by saying, "As a relatively new player to the game, I have no way of knowing any of that without asking people who are already experienced with the game"

If you're a relatively new player to the game, and you have no way of knowing any of that, then why the fuck are you acting like you do know everything?

Thing is, I agreed with you on that in a previous post, shithead: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...line-is-happening.92612/page-255#post-3469589

Yes, so why are you now going on and on about the metagame, cherry-picking, and min-maxing? Just talking to yourself, or...?
[/quote]
First, I was talking to Cadmus in that instance. Secondly, there are five people in the discussion, not just you. Thirdly, I'm fucking teaching you how to play the game, not defending the game.

Seriously, find a single instance where I praised the game without mentioning significant issues at the same time.

Lhynn

Arcane
Game is great (by this i mean the skeleton), most systems and skills/talents need some tweaking and the campaign simply doesnt do it justice, but what larian did here with the combat and enviroment interaction is insanely good.

Game is great (by this i mean the skeleton), most systems and skills/talents need some tweaking and the campaign simply doesn't do it justice, but what larian did here with the combat and environment interaction is insanely good.
This. I am mroe excited about the engine and future additions they do to it and better campaigns than D:OS itself. Also mods.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Bitches please. When was the last time rain made combat too easy in RPG?

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Considering how it can impact combat & the fact that there is no "wet" saving throw, rain is OP. Needs to be a bodybuilding saving throw.

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane
The same is true for the "warm" effect when close to e.g. campfires. It makes sense not to give a sving throw on those effects, but for balancing reasons it might be considered to slightly reduce the penalty you get from wet or warm, or increase the effect of Bodybuilding/willpower on saving throws vs freezing, burning, etc.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
I'm making a complete spell usage guide atm (finished 3 schools out of 8 - more work than it looks; gonna post it on steam, probably, maybe also on gamefaqs) and I must tell you that you can relax. Once you look at the global picture, the spells in this game are extremely polar, they're either utterly devastating or completely useless with very little ground in-between. And when they're broken, they're broken like hell. Worst offenders are probably no-saves at all spells - soulsap, reduce willpower, nullify resistances. They all screw enemies in major ways and can't be resisted - wtf, game? Heck, even the starting Divine Light is quite powerful as -20 to willpower is actually quite a lot.

And that's just a part of it - elemental shield giving a shitload of hps for free (especially important for lone wolves), overabundance of quick hard disables, charms being omgwtf and each dexterity character being able to cast 2 of them, just a simple boulder bash becoming one of the best spells in the game once you reduce the cooldown to 3-2-1 turns. Heck, I could write an entire article about what's wrong with D:OS skills (design-wise, first and foremost). But the short story is, it is irrepairably broken, I'm afraid.

Lhynn

Arcane
The same is true for the "warm" effect when close to e.g. campfires. It makes sense not to give a sving throw on those effects, but for balancing reasons it might be considered to slightly reduce the penalty you get from wet or warm, or increase the effect of Bodybuilding/willpower on saving throws vs freezing, burning, etc.
Fuck off.
Better improve the AI so that it also takes advantaje of all this stuff, that would be much more interesting.

Gord

Arcane
But the short story is, it is irrepairably broken, I'm afraid.

It's not broken at all. I would call it broken if it wouldn't be fun at all, but since it is, I'm fine with it.
It even manages to keep some challenge up until ~mid game, unless you build your party to cheese as much as possible.

Also regarding willpower-reducing spells - it's a spell meant to reduce the resistance of resistant enemies. Would you like them to resist that as well?

Cadmus

Arcane
But the short story is, it is irrepairably broken, I'm afraid.

It's not broken at all. I would call it broken if it wouldn't be fun at all, but since it is, I'm fine with it.
It even manages to keep some challenge up until ~mid game, unless you build your party to cheese as much as possible.

Also regarding willpower-reducing spells - it's a spell meant to reduce the resistance of resistant enemies. Would you like them to resist that as well?
Exactly, it's not broken at all. It simply needs an AI more capable of abusing the stuff the player can abuse, this makes the system fun. Balancing it is the most retarded idea ever that only Josh Sawyer could do.

dryan

Arcane
Uninstalled it even though now I have a computer that can run it. I'm feeling particularly anti-medieval right now. Maybe I'll play it in a couple of years.

circ

Arcane
I think I screwed up my save. I'm doing a shadowblade and a rogue as main characters, rogue using a bow 99% of the time and did some points in marksmanship. It's ok but not as beefy as a party could be. Teleport is pretty OP especially when it works on bosses.

Anyway, save. I thought I accepted Brandon's quest - so I could handle tenebrium without the retard part. But I couldn't find a way to the troll guy. So I did a bunch of other quests. I did the initiation, killed Loic, healed some Alfie something. I've also got a quest from Fumble - which I can't complete because I killed the guy because fuck trolls. Now Brandon's quest doesn't show up in my journal, maybe I told him to get bent after all. Can I still get the cage or something? I thought maybe I needed to go through the goblin village, but the way up top had me take a route through a bunch of spiders, and there's nothing there but a whiny totem and his goblin posse. I can still apparently give one character the tenebrium skill but fuck that. Hoo boy, what a retarded concept.

EDIT: I think the quest's still there, it just turned into Naked Truth.

Anyway. Tips on killing Spider Queen? Fucking thing sucks.

Last edited:

Waterd

Augur
I find out that there is so much op stuff that every ¨class¨ have something op. (warriors have, fist and ram, archers charm arrows, wizards have summons and shields, but failing that, environmental mass stuns and teleports) I think the main problem compared to other games where you improve your characters, is that they wanted to make low level abilities useful through the game. While that is a noble goal, the advantage other games have about needing to use the higher level stuff is that the higher level stuff works in new ways, so now you have to figure out how to fight with the new tools, since the old ones become obsolete.

Here you can use the same strats no matter your level since most involve, as a core, level 1 skills . Ive been using the same strat since level 3. Rain, Electrify water, teleport guys into electric water, repeat. Getting teleport is so easy, i have all my 4 guys with a level 1 aeroturge and teleport. Hard difficulty isnot actually harder because NPC have more life, but if you can mass chain stun the whole battle, what´s the difference?

There was some discussion about hybridization, being good, but it´s not, the best thing is to specialize, then do a lot of 1 point wonders, teleport being the major offensive, but even first aid and things like that work, the only hard thing is to get the money for the spellbooks, early on without stealing is quite hard, but midgame gold start flowing .

Also the encounter design is really poor, if it´s gonna be so poor at least should be random encounter, so at least is varied, most encounters have similar threats, the only thing that changes is the type of damage they do.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Couple things that helped me: Poison resistance gear. Don't bother killing minions except for the red ones that explode (since they continue getting spawned anyways). I also came back later after doing other areas (so I was higher level + better equipment). The level differences in different areas didn't hinder always me in the game, as there are ways to get XP by doing quests/explore/etc. by either easy encounters and avoiding combat (Walk in Shadows + teleport pyramid, Charisma checks, non-combat/trap-focused quests).

For example I got into the Source Temple in the Phantom Forest quite early by sneaking past all the enemies to the door, then teleporting and quickly entering the Temple before I was noticed.

Cadmus

Arcane
Couple things that helped me: Poison resistance gear. Don't bother killing minions except for the red ones that explode (since they continue getting spawned anyways). I also came back later after doing other areas (so I was higher level + better equipment). The level differences in different areas didn't hinder always me in the game, as there are ways to get XP by doing quests/explore/etc. by either easy encounters and avoiding combat (Walk in Shadows + teleport pyramid, Charisma checks, non-combat/trap-focused quests).

For example I got into the Source Temple in the Phantom Forest quite early by sneaking past all the enemies to the door, then teleporting and quickly entering the Temple before I was noticed.
Why would you do that thing in the spoiler, that was the last challenging area :)

I finished the game yesterday, it was fun, really fun with all the spells and shiet, only too easy. I'll wait for some more patches and replay again.

I don't know how someone could one-shot the final boss or what I read. The dragon wasn't difficult at all, he was easier than the conduit with her death princes, but it took me many rounds to wear him down

I really wish the difficulty increase would come from the AI, because all the tools are there for them to totally destroy you.
I have never had my mages muted..I haven't even seen a spellbook for that. What's the trait for?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom