Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Weasel
It's also ironic that everyone is giving shit, there's even a specific thread, to Sawyer for having Wizards casts spell more frequently than in BG2, making it more banal and dull. Yet everyone seems to turn a blind eye on Divinity's magic spamfest.

Not really surprising that Obsidian/Sawyer, by kickstarting a successor to BG/IWD, face more comparisons with the combat system of BG/IWD.

DOS promised something new (albeit with turn-based combat and environmental interaction, one of the reasons it's appreciated here), while PoE appealed to nostalgia in their campaign. Seems to me like they're being judged accordingly.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
The combat is really good, especially in co-op. Overall it's a very good ARPG. Better than any ARPG that I know of.

Just how the hell is this game an ARPG??

It's turn based therefore it's the best game ever and also a :5/5: super classic RPG.

Or it's also mostly about fighting, getting randomised phat loot, crafting, getting levels and going back to fighting in a linear game with a perfectly linear increasing enemy level curve.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Not really surprising that Obsidian/Sawyer, by kickstarting a successor to BG/IWD, face more comparisons with the combat system of BG/IWD.

DOS promised something new (albeit with turn-based combat and environmental interaction, one of the reasons it's appreciated here), while PoE appealed to nostalgia in their campaign. Seems to me like they're being judged accordingly.

The criticism isn't directed at being different from the spiritual successor. Everyone spewing a generalisation, that magic is better not diluted, and fewer but stronger spells is better than permanent spell spamming. Which I do agree with to some extent.

Tigranes

Arcane
The combat is really good, especially in co-op. Overall it's a very good ARPG. Better than any ARPG that I know of.

Just how the hell is this game an ARPG??

It's turn based therefore it's the best game ever and also a :5/5: super classic RPG.

Or it's also mostly about fighting, getting randomised phat loot, crafting, getting levels and going back to fighting in a linear game with a perfectly linear increasing enemy level curve.

It's not a game to replay or remember for the ages, it's just a very fun romp with a surprisingly robust combat system. It's certainly better than Blackguards, M&MX, or other recent offerings.

lurker3000

Arcane
Fucking 1 pt geomancy is just ridiculous when the spider scales up to your level.

I used the spider to tank the final guy while zapping him with spells. Nothing like having a spider with 2000 hp or something. The undead decapitator works the same way.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Fucking 1 pt geomancy is just ridiculous when the spider scales up to your level.
It doesn't seem like a waste to give Madora 1 pt in Geomancy cause the additional meat shield is free dmg and tank at higher lvls. Plus, Spider has high PER. Allowing it to crit and detect traps.
True, 1 point in anything isn't a bad idea, 1 point water and you can take all 3 heals, earth gives spider, oil and bless for instance, fire to pick up haste, witchcraft for oath etc. But on hard all summons die real fast, earth elemental and decapitator are best and sturdiest.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why is the codex all over this game?

Overall it's a very good ARPG. Better than any ARPG that I know of.
Do you have a split personality disorder? :smug:

Oh but it's turn based so that automatically makes it a classic RPG better than Boring Gates 2 and Pillars of Shit loololololl. Can I get Kool Kredits now????666666
:rpgcodex:No, you can't get KKK, because you are a bad troll.

Also, please explain which part of DOS makes it just an ARPG, instead of a cRPG?

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
DOS being an aRPG is beyond wtf. Although I agree with all the other rex' points, except the first one.

Btw one thing hit me just now. It's about the combat and what it's actually achieved. Ya'll remember the hurrdurr when inXile decided to go TB in TToN? When the Obsidianfags wailed that TB is obsolete and irrelevant and not-in-touch with the new millenium? And maybe a part of the opposite camp was in doubt too? And then MMX came and didn't really convince anyone about anything?

Well the combat in DOS is a hard-as-fuck proof that TB in RPGs is still very much relevant and enjoyable and in touch and...that it just works mang.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why is the codex all over this game?

Overall it's a very good ARPG. Better than any ARPG that I know of.
Do you have a split personality disorder? :smug:

I bet Matt Barton would know what an ARPG is.

You don't understand my point.

I think it's a good game, in case another victim of reading comprehension disorders misunderstands again.
To me the question "Why is the codex all over this game?" sounds like you don't understand why the codex likes DOS, when it is not good. You start to list cons, and basicly say that every aspect of the game is shit besides combat. But a line later you say it is the best ARPG ever. So yes, maybe I misunderstood you point, but it is your fault that you can't make a clear point.

Don't worry, I know you like DOS as an ARPG, you just want to score KKK with your trolling. :)

Well the combat in DOS is a hard-as-fuck proof that TB in RPGs is still very much relevant and enjoyable and in touch and...that it just works mang.
THIS!

But RtwP is just as relevant and works. :)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Quality is irrelevant, DOS is not an ACRPG. It's focused on combat doesn't make it an ARPG. Dumbass.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter

And that it's way too easy, even on hard, especially after Cyseal. It's funny in co--op but I think I would get bored really fast in Single player. But that's something a mod should fix. Its a nice system and there's good potential here.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
What I forgot, the bully talent is actually a pretty good choice for everyone. +50 % damage when the target is slowed, knocked down or crippled. man at arms has knockdowns and cripples, earth has knowdowns and slows, water has a nice big AoE slow. As long as you have someone to reliably apply the condition, bully really pays off.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
What I forgot, the bully talent is actually a pretty good choice for everyone. +50 % damage when the target is slowed, knocked down or crippled. man at arms has knockdowns and cripples, earth has knowdowns and slows, water has a nice big AoE slow. As long as you have someone to reliably apply the condition, bully really pays off.

Bully helps with magic attack too? Kinda broken then.
Then again, everyone will also abuse Leadership instead of the pathetic weapon passives anyway. +5 initiative from 1 ability point is nonsensical. But 5% dmg on top of that? Hahaha. Yeah sure, Larian.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Then again, everyone will also abuse Leadership instead of the pathetic weapon passives anyway. +5 initiative from 1 ability point is nonsensical. But 5% dmg on top of that? Hahaha. Yeah sure, Larian.

It's +10 hit chance, not + 1/20 damage.

Saduj

Arcane
Does anyone know if it is intentional that the Lone Wolf trait is no longer an option once the character reaches a certain level? I was on the fence about it for a while and then noticed it was no longer an option around level 15.

And yes, I realize its a waste to pick it that late in the game but that wouldn't even be the worst of my build choices. For example, all of my characters have that stupid trait that provides 2 skill points because early on I didn't know that skill point accruals increase at later levels. :patriot:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I gimped my characters with that trait too, not realizing the significance. Just be glad, it will make combat that little bit more challenging.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
and actually, if you use "All Skilled Up" to open up level 1 access to a couple of skills that can be quite a boost.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Took my level 10 group on a hike to the NW in the second area and encounter a few level 14 spiders. Fun times. It's good that I have geomancy spells that helps against poison. The game is starting to get a bit easier for every level I gain, but I am still having fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom