Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin has sold 160,000 copies, already approaching profitability

Sinatar

Arbiter
Larian isn't a publicly traded company, they have no stockholders to impress so they don't really have a reason to share sales numbers.

Darkzone

Arcane
Larian isn't a publicly traded company, they have no stockholders to impress so they don't really have a reason to share sales numbers.
This is called no obligation, to share their sales numbers, but there are a lot of good reasons to do it. One of them would is naturally the already mentioned 'bandwagon effect'. Other were also to express their gratitude to the Kickstarter backers and the people who helped them to make this a better game, as a: Without you we would not have sold this xxx k numbers, till the mm.dd.yyyy. And we all should be glad to hear that they have sold over (example) 500k till september, even Roguey.
(She don't have to like them or their games, but if people buy D:OS and they like it, then it is more likely that they will also buy PoE. A 'holy' trinity of Larian, Obsidian, and ( hopefully ) InXile, can revive this old genre to new life, by attracting younger audience, which were never in touch with such games.)
Also with a named high sale number, it is highly possible that the next Project from Larian will have much more attention, from the media.
So yes there a many good reasons to say a good sales number, and the only bad reason that i can currently think of is that they want to cheat on the tax authority. (Which Larian in their current state (successfull), will never do.)

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
They'll probably talk about D:OS sales in their next kickstarter update, in general terms at the very least. Not sure if we'll get any numbers, but I would certainly expect a "it sold beyond our wildest expectations and we're putting all that money into Dragon Commander 2" kind of statement. That will probably happen after 7th of August, and coincide with a new blog post where Swen denounces Roguey.

jdinatale

Cipher
When's the soonest that we could anticipate the announcement of a new title - this fall perhaps?

himmy

Arcane
Just popping in this thread again to remind everyone that a self/Kickstarter-funded Larian-made, Ultima-inspired, isometric, turn-based RPG is holding right now a score of 88/91 on Metacritic and is #2 on the Steam top sellers list, a month after release.

That is all.

Gregz

Arcane
Just popping in this thread again to remind everyone that a self/Kickstarter-funded Larian-made, Ultima-inspired, isometric, turn-based RPG is holding right now a score of 88/91 on Metacritic and is #2 on the Steam top sellers list, a month after release.

That is all.

:fuuyeah:

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
They'll probably talk about D:OS sales in their next kickstarter update, in general terms at the very least. Not sure if we'll get any numbers, but I would certainly expect a "it sold beyond our wildest expectations and we're putting all that money into Dragon Commander 2" kind of statement. That will probably happen after 7th of August, and coincide with a new blog post where Swen denounces Roguey.
Please don't.

jdinatale

Cipher
It's very telling that Divinity: Original sin is outselling even a new JRPG (that's not made in RPG maker), Trails in the Sky, when the PC is starved for JRPG's (again, real ones from Japan, not RPG maker games)

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm extremely optimistic about a potential sequel! Larian have already laid the groundwork, they have the engine and systems pretty much in place, so they can focus on creating content. If they don't start changing what's not broken and if they hire some better writers, D:OS 2 could be to D:OS what, for example, BG2 was to BG. :incline:

Perkel

Arcane
yeah i fully believe that DOS2 will be amazing game. I just hope they won't go into retard area with mechanics gutting out complexity for sake of geting that fat stacks of money from casual scum people.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Noooo. First balance this game (and add the other companions!). Then expansion. Go expansion. Flames of Vengeance was awesome. Don't do anything about the system or mechanics (outside of balancing them).

Darkzone

Arcane
I also believe that a mod like expansion (Example: Isle of Serpents) with the dropped Kickstarter stretch goals would be the best course of action for the next 4-6 months.
Because of following 'good' reasons:
1) D:OS is a top seller, and a expansion will prolong its life cycle and maximise the revenues from D:OS.
2) An expansion is more likely to be also a hit, than a new project, because the ground module is already sold very good.
3) The time can be used to prepare and optimise the concept of the next project.
4) An expansion can prepare the next project and its topic.
5) An expansion can be made on a concurrent / intersecting timespan with the next project.

Naturally within the next 3 months the next project has to be announced, and because of the popularity of D:OS, it should be D:OS 2.
We should not forget that BG and BG 2 had theirs's expansions. And the work on the expansion can make also the ground campaign better by: more balancing and new skills.
I personally do not believe that it needs really much balancing but new skills would naturally require a rebalancing.

Last edited:

Ramireza

Savant
Naturally within the next 3 months the next project has to be announced, and because of the popularity of D:OS, it should be D:OS 2.
We should not forget that BG and BG 2 had theirs's expansions. And the work on the expansion can make also the ground campaign better by: more balancing and new skills.

Correct. Expansions are important. I am pretty sure that BG2 is also an great RPG because of "Tales of the Sword Coast". Alot of the BG2 feeling could be smelled in the "TotSC" Expansion, like better Dialogs, more fleshed out NPC´s, far better Level Design (Dulargs Tower is great), more complex Quest structure. An D:OS Expansion would help an possible D:OS2.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I would hope they're not releasing any sales data because they think they'll reach the impressive 1 million units sold fairly quickly, and revealing numbers before that would ruin the surprise :M

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am honestly super glad to see this back at #1 (also TiTS on top 10 again), and that necrodancer game plummeting to the next page.

I dislike games with a gimmick, and I dislike them the most when they do better than worthy games.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Someone on the Gamestar-Forums spoke about 700.000 sold copies until now. Could that be true, what do you think?

Wouldn't that be borderline miraculous? I don't see 700,000 in a month happening.
Doesn't have to be in a month considering pre-purchases/kickstarter backers. Also, isn't this more like almost two months now..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom