Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Perkel

Arcane
We'll see what they've done with the definitive edition, but I have a feeling the big problems won't be addressed.

Sven already said there is nothing wrong with system and he doesn't care about minority voices.
He loves his casuals who praise his game.

There are plenty of enemies with high physical, low/no magic and vice versa. You have nothing to worry about, mixed parties are fine.

Except when you want to want to use some status effects and you realize that you can't because of retarded armor system so you have to have hard hitting either mage or physical because you need to get around that armor first to do anything of value. And don't start with "some have high armor some have high magic armor" most of them have both and you need 2-3 hits to get around ANY of them to get any status rolling.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
We'll see what they've done with the definitive edition, but I have a feeling the big problems won't be addressed.

Sven already said there is nothing wrong with system and he doesn't care about minority voices.
He loves his casuals who praise his game.

There are plenty of enemies with high physical, low/no magic and vice versa. You have nothing to worry about, mixed parties are fine.

Except when you want to want to use some status effects and you realize that you can't because of retarded armor system so you have to have hard hitting either mage or physical because you need to get around that armor first to do anything of value. And don't start with "some have high armor some have high magic armor" most of them have both and you need 2-3 hits to get around ANY of them to get any status rolling.
In my experience most either have high physical low magic or vice versa. I didn't say the system wasn't stupid.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, I guess Larian have some other audience to worry about from now on, I probably won't be a part of it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Recent interviews/previews that have mentioned rebalancing armor:

https://www.rpgsite.net/interview/7...erview-bringing-2017-s-co-op-crpg-to-consoles

RPG Site: And the most negative?

Michael Douse: We had a lot of players mention that they felt that Act II of the game had too many enemies with both physical and magical armor, and found that really frustrating so in the Definitive Edition, we've made a concentrated effort to rebalance things like that.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...y-original-sin-2-and-the-original-is-striking

In total there are around 45-pages of design doc changes, including the notable changes to the DOS2 PvP Arena announced last week. Many of these will be itty-bitty balance changes you probably won't even notice but have been grating on Larian's nerves since launch (elemental resistances and armour values, for instance).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Except armor values aren't the problem and can easily be tweaked by mods. Itty-bitty issues they admit nobody is going to notice are grating and demand rebalancing! Just the big issues don't and can remain that way forever.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Armour values are a problem, and successfully rebalancing them would improve the game. But I suppose conjecture and hyperbole can only take you so far.

Black

Arcane
Are all issues Codex has with D:OS 2 essentially in the "it's different than D:OS 1" basket? I can't wait to get deep in my D:OS 1 play through, shit must be amazing.
You could at least try to not fit the whole "2018" meme, instead you dived right into it.

imweasel

Are all issues Codex has with D:OS 2 essentially in the "it's different than D:OS 1" basket?
They messed the game up by dumbing everything down, simply because a few Steamtards were complaining. It is boring AF.

They also didn't do anything to improve the lore. The god awful writing (substantially worse than D:OS 1 IMO) and "gotta dick everything that moves in the ass" beastiality BS, that far-left imbeciles and furry tumblrtards are so crazy about, didn't help either.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
or maybe the issues are in the "it's shit and boring" basket
Maybe that would be easier to take at face value if D:OS 1 wasn't referred to so often in yours and Luckmann's review.

The only reason why I bother talking prior to playing D:OS 1 is due to seemingly different perspective than most have, but completely understand why nobody seems keen to engage deeper than "it's dumb shit" (due to disappointment, disgust etc.), so I'm happy to finish D:OS 1 and be enlightened. Exciting times.

Jezal_k23

Never thought I'd say this, but if they just replicated the DOS1 combat system and found a way to integrate Memory into it (the one change I actually liked in DOS2) the game would be endlessly more fun for me. Back when I was anxiously waiting for DOS2 I thought it would actually be an evolution of DOS1 instead of huge strides backwards in several ways, so the disappointment was pretty big when it came out and I played it.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Armour values are a problem, and successfully rebalancing them would improve the game. But I suppose conjecture and hyperbole can only take you so far.
Improve? Marginally, maybe. Still doesn't fix the actual problem, though.
or maybe the issues are in the "it's shit and boring" basket
Maybe that would be easier to take at face value if D:OS 1 wasn't referred to so often in yours and Luckmann's review.

The only reason why I bother talking prior to playing D:OS 1 is due to seemingly different perspective than most have, but completely understand why nobody seems keen to engage deeper than "it's dumb shit" (due to disappointment, disgust etc.), so I'm happy to finish D:OS 1 and be enlightened. Exciting times.
Are you fucking retarded? D:OS1 is referenced because it's a valid reference point, seeing how D:OS2 - as hinted by the title - is a sequel. All the issues I discuss stand on their own and none of the examples I showcase hinges on D:OS1 in any way whatsoever, you absolute hemorrhoid/mongoloid multiclass.

Lacrymas

Arcane
At the end of the day, we can just remove armor altogether and buff hp to compensate. It's a butcher's way of solving the problem, especially because the game isn't designed around not having armor, but maybe it'll be better. There's no hope for the initiative, however, unless they unhardcode it, but it's too much to ask to have an actually important thing implemented in the definitive edition.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Removing armor will leave us with the same system, we can just use everything we have whenever we want. We can massively buff hp to compensate. Aren't there spells that make you immune to one type of CC or another? It seems like thetr should be.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Aren't there spells that make you immune to one type of CC or another? It seems like thetr should be.
I don't remember if there are, but I do remember that some of the spells that did so in the first game, like Fortify, were changed to give the target physical armor instead. I doubt an armor-less DOS2 would work, it's too integral to the system .I feel like everything would fall apart without it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Has anyone actually tried? It seems like the same system, but without the bullshit. It will just be deterministic and everything would work 100% of the time, like it currently does anyway, you just have to jump through hoops to get to that point.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Has anyone actually tried?
Yes. It's incredibly, ridiculously easy to do.

And it solves fucking nothing. It immediately turns the game into rocket-tag with CC, and no, there's not really any abilities allows you to counter these things, because the system isn't made with that in mind - the abilities used to counter primarily rely on the armor system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom