Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity or Eternity?

Which is better?

• Total voters

Turok

Erudite
Uhn, yesterday i find a npc called Jaesun on a brothel, a exclusive club from fine a refine people. Need a ring to enter.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Uhn, yesterday i find a npc called Jaesun on a brothel, a exclusive club from fine a refine people. Need a ring to enter.
He didn't have anything important to say(ring a bell?) so I killed his sorry ass,like I did with the codex crew on Divinity,what a bunch of annoying faggots they were.

Ninjerk

Arcane
PoE is considered a better game by twice as many people as those who consider DOS better. This is sad. It just shows that lots of codexers will take a mediocre dump of Obsidian because OBSIDIAN MCA LOL xD <3 <3 :3

No, it is because the vast majority of the codex are story fags. Just take a look at the Codex Holy Trinity™:

3 story centric games with bad combat.

In some parallel dimension where somehow Larian hired Obsidian to write the story for Divinity: Original Sin it would probably threaten one of the titles in the Codex Holy Trinity™. There is WAR in that Parallel dimension on the codex...
Except in the Engagement System thread, about the COMBAT system, there's at least half a dozen people (and they're the same people every time) brofisting strawmen and otherwise fallacious posts directed at Sensuki and Grunker's problems with the system.

Check your pseudo french buzzword privilege and don't cut yourself with that edge, son
Alright fine, I'm the only one on earth who thinks D:OS sucks balls.

I'm shocked that the codex even considers it above mediocre.
It's overrated on the Codex, to be sure, but poll results suggest most Codexers haven't even finished it. The Codex's rating is mostly for Cyseal:The game, which is undeniably a great game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I don't know what you're talking about in this thread but since I was tagged I'll say that I am definetely not a "storyfag", and D:OS' main problem is that the last half is insanely dull in terms of character progression and combat. I couldn't give a rat's ass about its story.

A great story is great when it's there, but if it's not... well.

Norfleet

If there is no logic to hidden objects, sure... that becomes just a silly game (kind of like how adventure "click" games went south over time). Though if you hide things in a manner that is intuitive and reasonable to the story progression, the play should be able to deduce general locations and the likelihood of a given hidden element (as you pointed out). Not saying that D:OS did this well, but the concept of such is sound.
Is there ever, though? If there was a logic to where things were hidden, they wouldn't be very well hidden. Besides, it's not just HIDDEN things. Suppose I'm committing a typical home invasion and burglary scenario against the local "monsters". I see weapon rack. There appear to be weapons on it. If there's no button to click to see the glowy outlines, I'm stuck clicking on every single one in case there's something there. There's no apparent logic to why some of these are clickable and some of these are merely decorative. On top of that, they don't appear to STOP containing weapons even if I loot them (nor do they appear to actually contain the weapons they may or may not contain). The show-glowies button lets me immediately verify that no, this is really just a decoration put there to look cool, there are no weapons and this isn't actually a thing you can poke. You can, of course, still HIDE things. The old IE games certainly did: Those hidden things simply didn't become glowy until a character with the appropriate skills spotted them. Those things also tended to explode or catch fire.

In short, glowies aren't bad: They keep you from having to poke every pixel, often multiple times, because the UI is not exactly reliably responsive, just to make absolutely sure this is NOT a thing and there is nothing here. Actual hidden things can be pushed off onto a character skill, cuz you're playing an RPG. The player is no longer forced to scan every single pixel of the map. Everyone is happy.

mastroego

Arcane
Well, I haven't played either, but D:OS is in my ToDo and PoE isn't.

I didn't even need to read all the shit Sawyer said recently, the only really relevant info (which I recently acquired) is that he did Icewind Dale.
That man took the magic of the Infinity Engine and stripped it entirely of its soul with that game (that is NO small feat, especially when you have the undeserved luck of a music and art team doing a very good job).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's overrated on the Codex, to be sure, but poll results suggest most Codexers haven't even finished it. The Codex's rating is mostly for Cyseal:The game, which is undeniably a great game.

It's too bad it looks like PoE suffers from similar problems when it comes to combat balance.

It's actually surprising to me to see that they managed to botch XP rewards even without systematic xp-per-kill, how do you even do that. It doesn't seem likely they'll do across-the-board cuts, man that would make a lot of people angry. A JSawyer mod for PoE? Regardless of if that happens or not, he broke his promise to VD ("You should not need to download a separate mod for a challenge").

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Maybe Sawyer is just bad at playing PoE and thinks it's challenging on Hard.

Athelas

Arcane
A JSawyer mod for PoE? Regardless of if that happens or not, he broke his promise to VD ("You should not need to download a separate mod for a challenge").
It's his own game, not something owned by Bethesda, he's going to make changes with a patch rather than a mod.

Which means plenty of people will have their hands full modding out those changes. :M

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Your persuasion skill is becoming stronger and stronger. At least now we know where the spirit of great brother Excidium went.

V_K

Arcane
In my rather controversial opinion lack of challenge in PoE is actually a blessing - combat doesn't get in the way of enjoying the really good aspects of the game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
wat

df259bba7a.png

was I just brofisted by Excidium from beyond the grave?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Maybe Sawyer is just bad at playing PoE and thinks it's challenging on Hard.
It's his own game, not something owned by Bethesda, he's going to make changes with a patch rather than a mod.

He doesn't design games for himself. It's also not his game, everything belongs to Obsidian Entertainment.

Josh said:
Why couldn't you make your hardcore tweaks part of the game in a higher difficulty setting?
Making them my own default in a mod is different from making them part of an optional mode. Additionally, I only do superficial testing of my own mod because it's just for me. Finally, it would appeal to a decreasingly small number of players.

What's wrong with an RPG giving you more XP than its level-cap? It simply assumes you don't complete all content in one go, it's what BG1 and BG2 did as well.

Hitting the level cap way too early for doing optional, more demanding content is a drag. Completionists should get just enough xp to almost reach the level above the level cap.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hitting the level cap way too early for doing optional, more demanding content is a drag. Completionists should get just enough xp to almost reach the level above the level cap.

I don't actually know how fast you hit the cap (I'm level 8 and through half the game's content or so I'd wager), I was asking about the principles. Your boundaries seem a bit arbitrary. In Baldur's Gate the expectation on part of the designers seems to have been that you wouldn't complete more than half the game's content in one go. Indeed I can't remember knowing anyone when it came out who did more.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't actually know how fast you hit the cap (I'm level 8 and through half the game's content or so I'd wager), I was asking about the principles. Your boundaries seem a bit arbitrary. In Baldur's Gate the expectation on part of the designers seems to have been that you wouldn't complete more than half the game's content in one go. Indeed I can't remember knowing anyone when it came out who did more.

I think DraQ the black-clearer once complained about hitting the level cap much too soon, but it might have been someone else with a similar problem.

Stargazer_

Pillars of Eternity.

It's more of a complete CRPG than Divinity. Character interactions are better, The lore is deeper than a tight rectum compared to Divinities bland shallowness, and the setting is more interesting. I just recently made it pass act 3, loving every minute of it. Its worth the 45 bucks.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
D:OS just has too boring encounters, maps, abilities and horrible writing to even compete.

The only reason the Codex faps to it is because most people here, for some stupid reason, have a Larian fetish. I blame parasitic brain worms.

No it's because it's turn based. Many cretins here try as hard as they can to fit in and will praise a game for the simple fact that it has turn based combat. Cartoony settings also somehow appeal to these same cretins. I wonder why.

Xenich

Cipher
How some of you are able to draw breath and do basic physical movements is astounding to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom