Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity or Eternity?

Which is better?

• Total voters

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So far I have learned 3 shocking revelations from this thread:
1. 1eyedking plays games for everything except the "game" part
2. Roguey can tell you which of 2 games is better without having played either
3. V_K is a troll

One of these actually came as a slight surprise.

1eyedking

Erudite
I wasn't talking about what you've praised or not, how much satisfaction does it give or if it can deliver more than Pacman. You've said that main selling point of every video game is fluff, Counter Strike (and many other games like Besiege, city builders, Minectraft) proves that it's not correct since it has almost no fluff and sold extremely well, people also didn't decide to go through the mechanics for fluff. Can't you just admit that your statement was a bit overblown instead of making all these arguments that barely have anything to do with what you've orginally said.
Some games are played entirely for their mechanics, but they're a dull way of having fun to be honest.

I'd rather read a good book, stare at a good painting, or listen to good music, and feel inspired for the rest of the day than play a game of chess and remain unphased in terms of mood or emotion.

The point is: we need less Counter-Strikes and more Witcher 1s. The second kind delivers more value in the long run than the first.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I wasn't talking about what you've praised or not, how much satisfaction does it give or if it can deliver more than Pacman. You've said that main selling point of every video game is fluff, Counter Strike (and many other games like Besiege, city builders, Minectraft) proves that it's not correct since it has almost no fluff and sold extremely well, people also didn't decide to go through the mechanics for fluff. Can't you just admit that your statement was a bit overblown instead of making all these arguments that barely have anything to do with what you've orginally said.
Some games are played entirely for their mechanics, but they're a dull way of having fun to be honest.

I'd rather read a good book, stare at a good painting, or listen to good music, and feel inspired for the rest of the day than play a game of chess and remain unphased in terms of mood or emotion.

The point is: we need less Counter-Strikes and more Witcher 1s. The second kind delivers more value in the long run than the first.

Might as well be true, I was disagreeing with your original statement, not your taste in games.

V_K

Arcane
3. V_K is a troll

I was just appaled to find myself enjoying PoE much more than I expected, and needed some people to tell me why it is shit to alleviate the self-hatred.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Eternity by far. There's something weird about Divinity. Even while I was creating a character something seemed off, especially those fucked up colors for your hair liek srsly.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
3. V_K is a troll

Do you really think there's any possibility whatsoever that I'd enjoy D:OS more than PoE? My bias is clear to all through my sig and tags.

SniperHF

Arcane
Up to this point, 30 hours combined in the BB and release version.

Combat: D:OS
It's just better. The AI is smarter and uses it's special abilities to a greater effect. Pillars is fine and I'm even enjoying it more combat wise than I remember IE games.

Writing: Pillars
I have no problem with Larian's Style, the substance is more at issue. Pillars is guilty of massive lore dumps but otherwise is solid. I was hoping it would have more interesting companion dialog but it's still earlyish. Just as kind of a random note: the idea that your broke ass PC to start the game in Pillars becomes owner of a keep and a Watcher within 2 days time is every bit as lulzy as two incompetent source hunters actually being some sort of demi-gods. Don't let the more serious tone of Pillars fool you.

Quests/Quest resolution: D:OS
I flat out prefer the find out what to do approach of Divinity to the standard Obsidian style here are 5 choices in a menu, some of which are tied to skill checks please pick one method. Pillars has more options for quest resolution but it dumps them all right in your face.

Level Design: Tie?
Neither are really outstanding on this front. I like the usage of different heights in Divinity. How you can walk up and around a hill or use that terrain in combat to create hazards and have height advantages. Pillars has more open maps but they are very predictable.

Character System: Pillars
Generally I prefer a classless system but D:OS has too much of a narrow pathway to building your character. The talents were less interesting then they should have been. Pillars wins out due to the wide variety and usefulness of both generic and class specific talents.

Hopefully Pillars doesn't have a woefully incomplete area like the Phantom Forrest. That will probably sway my opinion in the end as to which has the higher overall quality. Not voting for now.

Perkel

Arcane
My main problem with PoE is lack of hard spells or abilities. Everything so far (after 10h) feels weak. web ? doesn't stop people just slows them down. fear ? Doesn't make your enemy run away just stats difference etc.

It feels like multiplayer rpg game where each ability and spell is balanced around players vs players battle where stoping someone entire party from moving would be bad for pvp and almost insta win.

This is also connected to really short durations of various spells and abilities. I mean 10 seconds durations ? Is that a joke ? At least in DOS usuall 3 turn durations gave you opportunity to actually do something. Resist huge damage for 3 turn for wizard would give you time to set up fighting front and essentially rule battle for that time. Where here most of protections feels simply weak.

This is especially noticeable with spells that give you additional DR. I mean sure it is sometimes useful spell but with 20% minimum damage (be it grazes or hits) that bonus don't give you any advantage and it is short as fuck if you cast it as a wizard then you also don't have much endurance even for those grazes.

D:OS on other hand handles things differently. Instead of minimal power for each thing it gives maximum power where you need to focus on defense to handle them because without them you will be in deep shit.

I don't want to review PoE battle system yet completely but so far it feels like you need to stack several different actions instead of one to have noticeable effect.
So if you need to do above then why not just hit things with your wand/sword ?

There are good things about PoE system though. I will do full review of PoE battle system when i finish game.

hiver

Why does it have to be "Or"?

because codex cannot think behind immediate negativity, thats why.

PoE story + D:OS combat.
Heaven.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I know I've thoroughly trolled the Codex when there are people clamoring for cooldown-based non-IE-like combat in Pillars.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Wasteland: 2 was hugely disappointing compared to PoE. I'm not sure how anyone can say Wasteland: 2 is a better game. Just no way.

panda

Savant
I don't see how turn based combat by virtue saved DivOS when nearly every encounter played out exactly the same, regardless of what type of enemy you were fighting against.
I've seen this argument in this thread several times already and can't really understand it. Last time I played Divinity I was able to defeat Baron of Bones with 2 lvl 3 chars and in this fight alone I used more tactical tricks than in my entire PoE playthrough(lvl 7 now) so far. Game offers you a lot of different and effective options to play with.
Something I can't say about PoE so far. If anything it's entirely opposite for me: same tactics again and again for every encounter in PoE - MMO tanks locking down mobs and everyone else chilling in back row with ranged weapons or AoE spells. Any other approach is just so risky or disadvantageous it's not even funny.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
I don't consider D:OS a proper RPG at all but more of an action/hack and slash hybrid RPG. I couldn't play D:OS for more than 20 minutes (character creation not included). The writing, short as it was, was abounding with bad humor that made me feel I'm playing a parody game, no immersion was possible as far as I'm concerned.

Turn based combat
Character creation/advancement is fully controlled
stat and skill based interaction with environment and other NPCs
multiple ways to get through environments, combat encounters, and quests

> not a proper rpg

:hmmm:
Storyfaggotry.

Btw. action games can have turn based combat now. Thanks Murk I wouldn't knew it if you didn't tell me.

Wasteland: 2 was hugely disappointing compared to PoE. I'm not sure how anyone can say Wasteland: 2 is a better game. Just no way.
The combat was enjoyable to me, though a lot of the encounters were bad, some were great and stand out in my memory. Story was interesting, as were characters and factions, which is more than I can say for D:OS.
If PoE is the game I'd play for pure story faggotry, and D:OS the game I'd play purely for great combat, W2 is the middle ground for me. Really the biggest gripe I hear about is the density of skill checks and the way they work, but since I'm not an OCD/ADHD save-scummer it doesn't affect me. I still like PoE better, especially the way that interactions and story elements feel like a game in their own right, but W2 is a close second.

Brutan

Savant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't consider D:OS a proper RPG at all but more of an action/hack and slash hybrid RPG. I couldn't play D:OS for more than 20 minutes (character creation not included). The writing, short as it was, was abounding with bad humor that made me feel I'm playing a parody game, no immersion was possible as far as I'm concerned.

Turn based combat
Character creation/advancement is fully controlled
stat and skill based interaction with environment and other NPCs
multiple ways to get through environments, combat encounters, and quests

> not a proper rpg

:hmmm:
Storyfaggotry.

Btw. action games can have turn based combat now. Thanks Murk I wouldn't knew it if you didn't tell me.

You best sum it up. I was talking about immersion and all and he answered with TB combat and "fully controlled creation/advancement" (whatever that means). I didn't bother responding since we have such a different perspective on what a RPG is.

Ninjerk

Arcane
That's not how we do things here. Call him a faggot and then tell him why what you prefer is superior.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I call people faggots all the time!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom