Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Editor thread

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I have decided to make this thread so we can share information on things that we figure out with the editor i will try to have the information abit sorted and try to update it as i and others figure stuff out about the editor:

How to acces and download the editor in STEAM:

Go in steam, click on Library => Tools => Divinity Engine.

Shortcuts:
Ctrl + B = Sidebar (object variables)
Ctrl + R = Reload level (required for some changes to take effect)
1,2,3,4 = Select, Move, Rotate, Add - objects
Esc = Test mode (switch game/editor)

Max terrain size: 3584x3584 - tested by Kaldurenik

Getting started:
Walls:
1. Bring up your root template and click on the tiles.
2. Select a tile and then press the button for create a new object (The green plus).
3. Place an instance of the tile down.
4. Then in the toolbar, click the wall construction tile (looks like a brick wall)
5. Left click on the tile you placed down and drag it to increase its length. You can also ctrl+wheel mouse to change the tile variation.
Painting textures:
1. Click on the terrain editor (mountain icon)
2. Click on your terrain
3. Click the green plus to add a terrain
4. When it brings up a box to add material, click on the resource manager box
5. Search for terrains in the Main folder with the "tr_" in the search box.
6. Pick a terrain (blue sphere)
7. Click the green arrow back in the Add Material box.
8. Hit okay
9. If you click on your terrain again, you should see it appear in your available list.
10. Click the terrain. You should get a circle that allows you to paint
11. If you right mouse click the paintbrush in the toolbar, you can change the pressure. You can change the brush size with "[" and "]"

First 7 tutorial videos are uploaded. It's all about creating enviroment.

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=508328

Larian Video Tutorials:
Terrain:

House & Walls

Ai Grid:

Painting Instances

Items & Prefabs

Last edited:

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Changing Atmospheres:

Triggering Atmospheres:

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Thanks for making this thread. Too busy with work right now, so I haven't even played the game, let alone toyed with the editor, but it's my top priority once I get unbusied.

Kaldurenik

Have you heard/figured out how skill editing works? Is it scripted, or in some external file/pak?

I've been wondering how D:OS is going to handle more comprehensive mods that change a lot of the guts, whether the editor/module system has the capability to bundle all changes, or whether it's going to be more janky modding like what we had with BG2, or XCOM to use a more recent example.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Thanks for making this thread. Too busy with work right now, so I haven't even played the game, let alone toyed with the editor, but it's my top priority once I get unbusied.

Kaldurenik

Have you heard/figured out how skill editing works? Is it scripted, or in some external file/pak?

I've been wondering how D:OS is going to handle more comprehensive mods that change a lot of the guts, whether the editor/module system has the capability to bundle all changes, or whether it's going to be more janky modding like what we had with BG2, or XCOM to use a more recent example.
While i cant say for sure as i have not done most of the things yet it sounds from others that its kinda like nwn with how it loads data. It also sounds like you can store data in either one big file or in folder trees.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
A minor update on terrain size:
After playing around some i figured out that you can create more then one "terrain" within a level. This will however cause... problems the 3584 size take over half of the max size allowed? However at the same time while after creating two 3584 terrains within the same level all it do is give me a warning that the size is at 108% I cant find anything else wrong at this moment but my guess is that this giant area will cause a lot of loading if you enter this area. And it should be noted this is without any objects / items placed.

JasonNH

Augur
Have you figured out a way to change the size of a terrain after creating it?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'll assume we can load the areas from the main game, and look at them in the editor, to see how they did things?

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
It should be possible yes, i have however not tried it yet.

Edit: No i have not found any way to change the size of a terrain that you have already created.

Edit2: After fooling around some more i figured out that the size 3584... is big... Very very very big. There is no end to the walking you have to do if you want to get from one corner of the map to the other.

Edit3: save a lot going in and out of play testing can cause problems

Last edited:

JasonNH

Augur
I'll assume we can load the areas from the main game, and look at them in the editor, to see how they did things?

I did it with cow simulator in order to figure out how to plant grass. I have not tried it with the main game though.

Zeriel

Arcane

Edit: No i have not found any way to change the size of a terrain that you have already created.

Edit2: After fooling around some more i figured out that the size 3584... is big... Very very very big. There is no end to the walking you have to do if you want to get from one corner of the map to the other.

Was going to say...

The 200~ ish size they used in the example was already at least as big as the biggest NWN areas. An "average" size of 1000 is more than ample for a region.

From modders, I'm hoping to see smaller maps with a Larian level of detail rather than monstrous creations, personally.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron

Was going to say...

The 200~ ish size they used in the example was already at least as big as the biggest NWN areas. An "average" size of 1000 is more than ample for a region.

From modders, I'm hoping to see smaller maps with a Larian level of detail rather than monstrous creations, personally.
True but i wished to see how... open you could make a map how much of a region. I have a few ideas on what i want to do and some do require a big map. But either way its nice that we have the option atleast to make a huge map if we want.

Zeriel

Arcane
I like large maps, but for loading purposes I think it's best to keep map size at a certain limit. Especially in a game that features tactical combat where you can expect reloading is something that occurs fairly often.

Arkeus

Arcane
I'm a retard, but where do I get the modding tool? Is it out yet? How does one acquire it?

EDIT:
Crafting recipes:
- Spell Book = Magical Ink and Quill + Blank Elemental Skill Book
- Blank Elemental Scroll = Blank Sheet of Paper + Any Elemental Essence
- Feather = Pillow + Any Knife
- Quill = Feather + Any Knife
- Ink Pot and Quill = Ink Pot + Quill
- Magic Ink Pot and Quill = Pot and Quill + Pixie Dust
- Dwarven Stew = Spot of Dinner + Mug of Beer
- Mug of Beer = Mug + Beer Barrel
- A Spot of Dinner = Any Piece of Meat + Cooking Pot
- Wizard Robe = Cloth Scraps + Magic Needle and Thread
- Magic Needle and Thread = Pixie Dust + Needle and Thread
- Armour with Elemental Resistance = Ruby + Any Piece of Armour
- Scale Armour = Metal Scraps + Mail Armour
- Leather Armour = Leather Scraps + Cloth Armour
- Leather Scraps = Animal Hide + Any Knife
- Cloth Armour = Cloth Scraps + Needle and Thread
- Pumpkin Helmet = Pumpkin + Any Knife
- Silver Arrow = Silver Arrowhead + Arrow Shaft
- Silver Arrowhead = Silver + Anvil
- Arrow Shaft = Wooden Branch + Any Knife
- Bone Dust = Skull + Mortar and Pestle
- Healing Potion = Penny Bun Mushroom + Empty Potion
- Invisibility Potion = Armour Potion + Air Resistance Potion
- Resist All Potion = Fire Resistance Potion + Earth Resistance potion
- Telekinesis Potion = Drudanae + Resist All Potion
- Stick With Nails = Wooden Branch + Nine Inch Nails
- Crossbow Stock and Limb = Wooden Branch + Steel
- Functional Crossbow = Crossbow Stock and Limb + Bowstring
- Antler Helmet = Leather Cap + Magic Antler
- Soup = Pumpkin + Cooking Pot

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm a retard, but where do I get the modding tool? Is it out yet? How does one acquire it?

EDIT:
Crafting recipes:
- Spell Book = Magical Ink and Quill + Blank Elemental Skill Book
- Blank Elemental Scroll = Blank Sheet of Paper + Any Elemental Essence
- Feather = Pillow + Any Knife
- Quill = Feather + Any Knife
- Ink Pot and Quill = Ink Pot + Quill
- Magic Ink Pot and Quill = Pot and Quill + Pixie Dust
- Dwarven Stew = Spot of Dinner + Mug of Beer
- Mug of Beer = Mug + Beer Barrel
- A Spot of Dinner = Any Piece of Meat + Cooking Pot
- Wizard Robe = Cloth Scraps + Magic Needle and Thread
- Magic Needle and Thread = Pixie Dust + Needle and Thread
- Armour with Elemental Resistance = Ruby + Any Piece of Armour
- Scale Armour = Metal Scraps + Mail Armour
- Leather Armour = Leather Scraps + Cloth Armour
- Leather Scraps = Animal Hide + Any Knife
- Cloth Armour = Cloth Scraps + Needle and Thread
- Pumpkin Helmet = Pumpkin + Any Knife
- Silver Arrow = Silver Arrowhead + Arrow Shaft
- Silver Arrowhead = Silver + Anvil
- Arrow Shaft = Wooden Branch + Any Knife
- Bone Dust = Skull + Mortar and Pestle
- Healing Potion = Penny Bun Mushroom + Empty Potion
- Invisibility Potion = Armour Potion + Air Resistance Potion
- Resist All Potion = Fire Resistance Potion + Earth Resistance potion
- Telekinesis Potion = Drudanae + Resist All Potion
- Stick With Nails = Wooden Branch + Nine Inch Nails
- Crossbow Stock and Limb = Wooden Branch + Steel
- Functional Crossbow = Crossbow Stock and Limb + Bowstring
- Antler Helmet = Leather Cap + Magic Antler
- Soup = Pumpkin + Cooking Pot

I had searched my steam apps for "mod", "tool", "workshop" and all I could think of, but "divinity engine", in its simplicity, was really beyond my mental capabilities. XD

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Do anyone know how to change textures on the terrain and use the smart function for walls? Everything else works but not that =(

JasonNH

Augur
Do you mean changing the very first terrain chosen as the base and associated with the level or swapping out one of the terrains you have chosen for painting? Not sure what you mean by the smart function for walls. I have created walls and toggled through the various options.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Do you mean changing the very first terrain chosen as the base and associated with the level or swapping out one of the terrains you have chosen for painting? Not sure what you mean by the smart function for walls. I have created walls and toggled through the various options.
Painting and walls yes, neither one work for me.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Do you mean smart wall as, connect the 2 pieces of wall together?

Build your wall.

1. Take/select last corner of one wall and drag it towards other wall, but don't try to connect it, leave some space.
2. Now select other walls last piece and drag it towards step 1.

They should auto connect.

Zep--

JasonNH

Augur
For Walls:

1. Bring up your root template and click on the tiles.
2. Select a tile and then press the button for create a new object (The green plus).
3. Place an instance of the tile down.
4. Then in the toolbar, click the wall construction tile (looks like a brick wall)
5. Left click on the tile you placed down and drag it to increase its length. You can also ctrl+wheel mouse to change the tile variation.

For Textures:

1. Click on the terrain editor (mountain icon)
2. Click on your terrain
3. Click the green plus to add a terrain
4. When it brings up a box to add material, click on the resource manager box
5. Search for terrains in the Main folder with the "tr_" in the search box.
6. Pick a terrain (blue sphere)
7. Click the green arrow back in the Add Material box.
8. Hit okay
9. If you click on your terrain again, you should see it appear in your available list.
10. Click the terrain. You should get a circle that allows you to paint
11. If you right mouse click the paintbrush in the toolbar, you can change the pressure. You can change the brush size with "[" and "]"

Just a quick overview, hope it helps.

Tigranes

Arcane
Every time I think to myself this time I will make a small mod, but never do it. How easy and quick is it to fool around with, compared to NWN1/2 or even FO editors?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom