Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is interesting how the biggest sjws on the codex are ELEX haters.
thinking.png

Master

Arbiter
Prime Junta
Kyl Von Kull

You two are the biggest fanboys ive seen in a while.

Now you even changed your avatars.

:decline:

We’re the biggest fanboys you’ve seen in a while? Dude, read the Black Geyser thread. There are people jizzing all over a game where the most recent video was a three minute explanation of the herb drying system. A third rate Baldur’s Gate knockoff with a pitch that reads like it was written by a twelve year old and people are clamoring for a fucking fundraiser. Allah forbid anyone here get excited about a game that’s actually exciting.

When every other developer making isometric RPGs is merely trying recapture the old infinity engine magic, I tip my hat to anyone who will flat out admit that they’re aiming to make something better than Planescape: Torment.

I haven’t been this enthusiastic about an upcoming title since 1997; I think that’s a good sign.

tl;dr
cffcc12aff33ba6ea8733d636c216de1.jpg

Ok but its too much. You are now like sidekicks of some highschool primadona, following her, dressing like her, agreeing with everything she says. Its not healthy behavior.
I bet you want to be their Master instead? :)

No, because

23763.jpg
5584.jpg

:decline:Decline of portraits

I cant take this game seriously. Its too wacky and zanny and shit. How is this supposed to be like PST?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ok but its too much. You are now like sidekicks of some highschool primadona, following her, dressing like her, agreeing with everything she says. Its not healthy behavior.

I don’t know, man. I defy anyone who’s not a complete 100% combatfag to read their dev blog and not get a serious chub for this game.

I cant take this game seriously. Its too wacky and zanny and shit. How is this supposed to be like PST?

Yeah, what the hell does this dialogue heavy, stat-check intensive isometric RPG set in a surreal urban environment and featuring an amnesiac protagonist have in common with Planescape: Torment?

Also, Torment had a ton of zany humor in it. Morte was even voiced by one of the Animaniacs, FFS.

Prime Junta

Prime Junta
Kyl Von Kull

You two are the biggest fanboys ive seen in a while.

Now you even changed your avatars.

:decline:

Son, get back to me in 2028 if you're still running with that same avatar. Bismarck had a good twelve-year run. It was time for a change. Besides, the new one looks just like RL me.

(Also, entirely unashamed of being a gigantic DE fanboy. This is like watching Planescape: Torment take shape. There will come a time when "Yeah I liked it when it was still called No Truce With The Furies, oh and by the way I wrote the first preview of note of it" will be getting panties wet from Moscow to Beijing.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Master

Arbiter
The game seems just weird for the sake of weirdness; in PST tattoos and other weird shit(tm) had a point and were internally logical. DE world OTOH makes no sense; it has that chariot car for example, because why exactly? Is there a point? Why not set it in a normal world? Typical artfaggotry.

Facebook has barely better resolution, but is a bitch to link to I think.

Let’s try this:
31431475_2107931899435277_7830041829503401984_o.jpg

Eastern Europe? Not enough trash on the street, well, aside of main character. Dude look like he is been drinking since birth.
I suppose this white thing should be snow? Doesn't really look like one tbh. More like cement or melted plastic. To begin with since snow melted street should be full of water, even with drainage system.
MainStreetWinter1980_1.jpg

Overall quite amazing art style. It's been long time since i seen something like this in game.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game seems just weird for the sake of weirdness; in PST tattoos and other weird shit(tm) had a point and were internally logical. DE world OTOH makes no sense; it has that chariot car for example, because why exactly? Is there a point? Why not set it in a normal world? Typical artfaggotry.

What are you talking about? Tons of stuff in Planescape is weird for weirdness' sake. That's the great joy of the setting. Every single companion except Annah is weird in PS:T, mainly because it's fucking cool. Sigil has lots of nonsensical architecture because it looks awesome; the auto-carriage looks awesome, too. Read the damn website.

Why would you assume that the weird stuff in Disco Elysium has no internal logic? I don't think this actually makes any difference to you, as you sound like an aspy kid who refuses to try Chinese food because he's never had it before. And bitching about it taking place in a fantastical alternate 1950s is like bitching that Arcanum has both orcs and steam engines.

Of course the soyboy bugmen that are excited for hipster trash are bashing the chad ELEX while waiting for the virgin NO TRUCE FOR THE FUR- err, I mean, Disco Elysium.

I live next to one of the gayest neighborhoods in America and yet I've never seen anything more homoerotic than all of this talk on the Codex about the concept of "Chad."

Master

Arbiter

What are you talking about? Tons of stuff in Planescape is weird for weirdness' sake. That's the great joy of the setting. Every single companion except Annah is weird in PS:T, mainly because it's fucking cool. Sigil has lots of nonsensical architecture because it looks awesome; the auto-carriage looks awesome, too. Read the damn website.

Why would you assume that the weird stuff in Disco Elysium has no internal logic? I don't think this actually makes any difference to you, as you sound like an aspy kid who refuses to try Chinese food because he's never had it before. And bitching about it taking place in a fantastical alternate 1950s is like bitching that Arcanum has both orcs and steam engines.
1950? Wasn't it 70s or whatever? And this is another thing, mixing different unrelated things like disco, cops, PST and Kentacky Zero so as to produce weirdness. Lame.

For True Weird check Patologic, Void and Knock Knock by IPL and you'll see what I mean. Patologic is a mix of, what? That's right, unlike DE you can't categorize it.

1950? Wasn't it 70s or whatever? And this is another thing, mixing different unrelated things like disco, cops, PST and Kentacky Zero so as to produce weirdness. Lame.

For True Weird check Patologic, Void and Knock Knock by IPL and you'll see what I mean. Patologic is a mix of, what? That's right, unlike DE you can't categorize it.

Pathologic is a terrible example. There are obvious influences of slavic philosophy and absurd theater, its just as much of a pastiche as DE, you are just unfamiliar with the references.

As for DE, the writers boast having a fully developed magical realism setting with thousands of years of history, which implies the kind of consistency the kitchen sink design you criticize would obviously lack.

Prime Junta

1950? Wasn't it 70s or whatever?

It's neither, or both. Elysium has its own historical and technological timeline. Certain events and inventions that heavily marked our world never happened there (slavery, for example), whereas there were others that did. Socially and technologically it's at the edge of the information age.

I've seen a bit of the worldbuilding and it's anything but random. It has Tolkien-level depth and coherence (and was developed over a similar timespan, too). If something is some way you can bet your hairy arse Marat Sar can tell you exactly how it got to be that way.

Master

Arbiter

Pathologic is a terrible example. There are obvious influences of slavic philosophy and absurd theater, its just as much of a pastiche as DE, you are just unfamiliar with the references.

As for DE, the writers boast having a fully developed magical realism setting with thousands of years of history, which implies the kind of consistency the kitchen sink design you criticize would obviously lack.

Patologic is absurd theater but there's no Slavic shit in it. Where?

The developers boast of 1000 of history? Shit, will there be soil erosion too?

Master

Arbiter
1950? Wasn't it 70s or whatever?

It's neither, or both. Elysium has its own historical and technological timeline. Certain events and inventions that heavily marked our world never happened there (slavery, for example), whereas there were others that did. Socially and technologically it's at the edge of the information age.

I've seen a bit of the worldbuilding and it's anything but random. It has Tolkien-level depth and coherence (and was developed over a similar timespan, too). If something is some way you can bet your hairy arse Marat Sar can tell you exactly how it got to be that way.
Slavery never happened, but disco happened. It's all kitchen sink bro. Sorry

Patologic is absurd theater but there's no Slavic shit in it. Where?

The developers boast of 1000 of history? Shit, will there be soil erosion too?

The conflict between personofications of rationality, wisdom, and faith seemed very Dostoevskian to me, to give one example.

Also, original title is Mor. Utopia = (Thomas) Moore, Utopia. That is about as obviously referential as you can get.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Stand down, citizen!
Or rather, "Down, boy, down!"

Don't change. You were on the Codex using the avatar long enough to be recognizable by it. People change avatars too often, it defeats the purpose imo.
Also, it's a cool avatar.
Since I first played Arcanum's demo, I was disappointed that I couldn't have Doc Roberts as a portrait picture. When I joined the Codex, the first portrait I wanted was the late version Rust Cohle, because it's how I imagined the average codexer must look, but then I found Doc Roberts in the library, and I'm not giving it up any time soon :D

I’d agree except you can’t ironically give someone money.
That's why I haven't. The game looks absolutely generic, to the point of "classic", though, and this can be a merit, depending on what they produce in the end, if they ever release it.

Son, get back to me in 2028 if you're still running with that same avatar. Bismarck had a good twelve-year run. It was time for a change. Besides, the new one looks just like RL me.

(Also, entirely unashamed of being a gigantic DE fanboy. This is like watching Planescape: Torment take shape. There will come a time when "Yeah I liked it when it was still called No Truce With The Furies, oh and by the way I wrote the first preview of note of it" will be getting panties wet from Moscow to Beijing.)
Given that portrait resemblance, getting your own panties wet won't count. ;)

I'm pretty optimistic about DE to be honest. At this point I wouldn't want to know too much though, so I won't spoil my experience. I have the same attitude towards Iron Tower's TNW.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom