Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

Did you back any RPG Kickstarter?

• Lowest possible pledge to get a digital copy.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • Enough for a bunch of goodies, and a digital copy.

Votes: 26 17.0%
  • Basic amount for a Physical Copy

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Enough for a few physical rewards.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • I went full wallet-rape, bought the over 1-2 hundred dollar tier, special edition box, shirts, etc

Votes: 30 19.6%
  • I'm rich, so I bought one of the 5/10k tiers.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don't back, but I want to.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Backing projects for kickstarter makes you a cuckhold

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • I don't preorder game ideas.

Votes: 29 19.0%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

The Game Analists

Self-Ejected
[deleted]

Last edited:

granit

Scholar
I backed Jeremy Soule (Morrowind etc composer). I never got shit. I believe the project was shit. Turns out Jerermy likes the smell of his own farts, completely shit. You should check out his facebook page.

Jeremys Morrowind soundtrack is superb though.

Cthulhu_is_love

I don't see a kingcomrade option! I feel underrepresented...

This poll is worth NOTHING!!!:argh:

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
I have so many autographs I could start writing fake cheques, so many special boxes I could build a fortress of regrets, and one day I'll get round to playing the games.

pippin

I prefer to be given an actual product when I'm buying stuff. If it makes it to actual retail stores in a completed state, I'm buying, even on full price. I'm too old to buy hype.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Kickstarter is brilliant, it got me to spent hundreds of dollars on games I have barely even tried. The only Kickstarter game that I've played more than 10 hours has been FTL which I bought from GOG for 2,5$. There's probably a lesson to be learned here, but I try to figure it out after double checking the Bard's Tale 4 reward tiers.

Turok

Erudite
-Grim Dawn
-Pillars of Eternity +first expansion
-Divinity: Original Sin
-Wasteland® 2
-Torment: Tides of Numenera™
-The Bard's Tale IV

Curlbrah

Educated
Never, since there are enough idiots wasting their money on potential games.
Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing they exist otherwise some great
games wouldn't have been released.
If the game is released and turns out to be good I'll pirate or buy it.
Feel free to make jokes about my location.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No, but I probably would if JVC is leading it.

Last I heard, is he is still working at EA. He probably is under a no compete clause.
Sometimes I wonder if people like JVC, Andrew Greenberg, Robert Woodhead, Michael Cranford,... still got the love for the genre and the desire to craft something amazing. Since so many big names from the past came back into focus recently thanks to kickstarter or are about to, I bet those guys have at least thought about it.
So, in the rare case that you are one of those guys I named and are reading this:

DO IT! JUST... DO IT!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Sometimes I wonder if people like JVC, Andrew Greenberg, Robert Woodhead, Michael Cranford,... still got the love for the genre and the desire to craft something amazing. Since so many big names from the past came back into focus recently thanks to kickstarter or are about to, I bet those guys have at least thought about it.

I would assume many of them have thought about it, but probably did some research and would need to build a good solid team first (Like with SSI now back as a very small company, with a new name). I think we will see a slow trickle of some of the older names in gaming come as the years go on. Sadly, no one but the codex will even know who most of those people are. :(

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nope. I thought about backing Wasteland 2, but they were already way over the goal before I got to it, so I didn't.
I did get that Wasteland 2 + Tides of Numenera deal around the time W2 was released, so I guess I technically backed Tides?

Renevent

Cipher
Grim Dawn - Technically donated prior to the kickstarter when they were running it from their own website. Paid for game + alpha. Love the game even if it's still in beta and have played it for over 100 hours already.

Divinity: Original Sin - Paid $40 and got 2 copies + Dragon Commander. DC was pretty ok, D:OS was one of my favorite RPG's that year. Would do again!

Legends of Dawn - Paid $20, which was the bare minimum for a digital copy. This paid off...um...less lol. I tried and even though there were small shimmers of what I saw in the promotional videos, I thought the end result was really poor overall.

Umbra - Paid for game + Alpha (not the tech demo). Guess we will see on this one...

Hobo Elf

Arcane
WL2, Numenera, BT4, Shadowrun, PoE, Dungeons of Aledorn and Barkley 2 and Grimoire. Out of all of those games, I gave Grimoire the most. Out of all of those games, released and not released, Grimoire has given me the most entertainment.:troll:

Darkion

Augur
Voted for the second one, I usually go for the digital choices and extras. I went on a Kickstarter roll for about three years and pledged to a bunch of games including around 17 RPG ones:

:D The ones I'm happy with:
Legends of Eisenwald - $25. Liked the game premise and really enjoyed their campaign pitch.
Grim Dawn - $85. I played a lot of Titan Quest, so got interested in this one.
Malevolence - $30. Blobber attempting a homage to Eye of the Beholder and Might & Magic games.
Paper Sorcerer - $50. Really liked the art and it was a single dev that seemed worthy of support.
Expeditions: Conquistador - $50. Liked the the historical aspect and it was a change from the ever present Tolkien lore.
Arakion - $25. Liked the art and it looked different.
Antharion - $50. For some strange reason I liked their style, big heads and all and it had turn-based combat.
Torment: Tides of Numenera - $125. Duh.
Divinity: Original Sin - $135. Not really a fan of Larian, but Swen's enthusiasm won me over. I'm really glad I pledged on this one.
Balrum - $70. Reminded me of the Eschalon games and had crafting and herbalism in a turn based game.
Dungeonmans - $40. Seemed like a crazy looking roguelike. It isn't ground breaking, but it's fun to play on and off between "epic stories".
The Diviner - $25. Currently in hiatus. Hopefully they come back to it.
Serpent in the Staglands - $25. Being a Darklands fan I had to back this one. Should have given more money because this is one of my favorite games ever.
Bedlam - $45. Not really a fan of Post-Apocalyptic games but the art direction pulled me in. Please don't suck.
Rogue Wizards - $65. A roguelike with cartoony art that reminded of a game I used to play during my very short stint as a console gamer in the 90's.

:( The ones that disappointed:
Legends of Aethereus - $25. Game was incomplete. Only two classes made it. The devs were distant and finally disappeared and abandoned the project.
Project Eternity - $165. My biggest pledge and a total miss for me. With every update of the game's development I lost any enthusiasm I had for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom