Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Diablo III Sells 10 Million Copies

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
10 Million idiots that support console shit. :salute:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Since when is a PC exclusive with always-online single player console shit?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How is that trolling? Are we going to pretend that every dumb PC game for the mass market is console shit?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Diablo 4 : 3 copies.

diablo IV's lead designer could eat a baby live on camera and it would still sell millions because of marketing

with these franchises there will always be a large mass of indifferent preview-led consumers making up the majority with a bunch of die hard true believers who will swear up and down the shit they're playing is a tenable sequel that fanatical nostalgics can't appreciate because of unreasonable expectations

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah I'm not getting how D3 is 'console shit.' I'm not saying it isn't a bad game with dozens of flaws... it is... but, where are the console influences?

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not like the best selling PC games are generally any better than the best selling console games. Get real fuckers.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Console Influences:

1. Low polygon count to accommodate console hardware
2. Over reliance on cinematic storytelling
3. fewer hotkeys for easy gamepad mapping
4. Beat 'em up style health pick ups
5. Short main quest
6. Embarrassingly shallow learning curve

I've played quite a few Diablo clones on both PC and console, and D3 definately felt more like the console entries. As a reverse example of this, I played Sacred 2 on Xbox 360, and it felt more like a PC game. I realize that there are PC games of all types, but generally the features I listed above are a lot more prominent in consoles. It's all just a matter of opinion of course, but I have some solid reasons why I consider Diablo 3 to be Consoltardish.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes, because console gamers tend to have shorter attention spans, so publishers know they can away with it. God of War wasn't the first by any means, but I consider it the most damnable perpetrator that made this trend popular.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
You are looking at ~$600 million in one time revenue. Retail/publisher cut usually takes at least half of this, so $300 million revenue, and this is after years of development, advertisement, and community screaming for the game. Maybe a bit more from digital copies and collector's editions, but then probably a bit less from foreign editions that are lower priced.

WoW makes that much every 2 months. Doing nothing. Just sitting there.

Initial sales don't matter. Blizzard wanted this to become another WoW income printer. It will not, considering how quickly people are leaving. And it has very much damaged Blizzards reputation, and that will definitely hurt them far more in the long run. Blizzard ONLY has 3 properties and if this continues then they have basically killed 1 of them.

Assuming 10 million players of WoW paying around $15 every month, that's a 150 million revenue every month. This is before taxes and expenses and stuff, but definately not bad at all. 150 million per month, that's around 1.6 BILLION BUCKS per year. That is fucking huge. I am pretty sure the profit after all expenses is greater than my banks profit for 2011, which was almost 330 million dollars. And my bank is one of the best banks in all of Asia.

But anyway, Diablo III is not an online game per se like WoW. There is no monthly fee. Instead, Blizz took a page from Korean devs and tried to model it after F2P games, concentrating on revenues from online purchases of ingame items, or whatever that shit is.

Yeah it may not be doing so well currently, the beauty of online software is that anything can be adjusted in real time. Give them a few months, and I am pretty sure everything will be running smoothly and the game will be hugely profitable. Maybe not as much as WoW, sure, but Blizzard had to keep the Diablo franchise alive in the public eye. WoW has passed it's life's end anyway, I am sure Blizzard is nearing the completion of WoW's successor, be it WoW II, Starcraft Online, or Diablo Online.

Which one do you guys think it will be? I am betting on Starcraft Online, as WoW II will be too familiar and too soon after WoW, even hardkore players of WoW will be clamoring for something new.

But ofcourse, it is a risk. WoW II may very well be the safer and low risk option, esp. considering the 'tards that make up online MMO players.

Seriously, it boggles the mind how someone can play MMOs for months and fuking years. I mean, the game is fuking neverending, and it is the same shit over and fuking over. There is no story, quests are utter shit, and there is no unqiueness of your PC in the world. Sure, I don't like Biowares SAVIOR OF THE UNIVERSE story's, but even they are MUCH better than MMO turds. At least the world changes, and most importantly, at least there is a fucking RESOLUTION.

A good game, like a good movie or a good book, MUST have an ending. You can make sequels ofcourse, and you should, but each individual game must have an ending and closing credits, leaving you wanting more but also satisfied at the same time with great memories you can think back on fondly.

Fucking MMOs. Fucking mouthbreathing 'tards that play them. Jihad on them all!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Blizzard is especially horrible at content delivery in WoW. Best case scenario you get new dungeon/raid/PvE content every six months. Often longer. Expansions tend to last two years and only see three major content updates. They focus more on filler/grinding shit now like pet battles and -- I kid you not -- actual farming. Yes, you build/manage a farm.

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
You know what's worst with WOW? It made more than 10 billion dollars during its lifetime. Enough money to make literally thousands of finished Arcanums... Or fallouts... And we didn't get a single comparable rpg all this time.

:-(

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
I haven't been following, but what is the Codex consensus on the game!? I've heard various things, about plotholes and terrible dialogue, but I'm a tiny bit interested to see how things turned out, only because after they announced "No findable runes anymore!" I stopped following it.

The game, itself, didn't seem to fit customization of character nicely, which is a HUGE turn-off, as, in essence, customization is WHAT MAKES AN RPG AN RPG! Otherwise, it becomes an action/adventure game.

I haven't been following, but what is the Codex consensus on the game!? I've heard various things, about plotholes and terrible dialogue, but I'm a tiny bit interested to see how things turned out, only because after they announced "No findable runes anymore!" I stopped following it.

The game, itself, didn't seem to fit customization of character nicely, which is a HUGE turn-off, as, in essence, customization is WHAT MAKES AN RPG AN RPG! Otherwise, it becomes an action/adventure game.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/diablo-3-is-a-massive-decline.71430/

Horrible if you intend to play it but good for over 150 pages of laughing at Blizztards. Removing runes was the least of their mistakes.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/diablo-3-is-a-massive-decline.71430/

Horrible if you intend to play it but good for over 150 pages of laughing at Blizztards. Removing runes was the least of their mistakes.

I didn't think Blizzard could dumb down their games any further than their already fundamentally simple core mechanics. Guess I was wrong!

All of this comes across as terrible marketing choices, though obviously they are selling, which is sad.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
This is like that thing that cleve said.

Man is Not a Learning Animal.

The notion that ordinary people are capable of learning is an urban myth no more credible than belief in UFOs, Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster. It is a religion without a God, rather a pantheistic cosmology that posits man as the center of the cognitive universe.

The fact that men say so glibly "men do not learn from history" without realizing the implications of the statement is more proof that they do not learn at all. Everything is historical. Everything is experience. If men learn nothing from history it is because they do not learn, period.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Basic consensus is buy TL2 for $20 or play Path of Exile for free.

Bulba

Learned

I didn't think Blizzard could dumb down their games any further than their already fundamentally simple core mechanics. Guess I was wrong!

All of this comes across as terrible marketing choices, though obviously they are selling, which is sad.

A vast majority of salles has been made on the pure name of d2. 50% quit after an hour, 49% after 10h and the other 0.99% after 24h of playing this "game". What's left are the people that cannot admit that they threw away 60 gold and trying to enjoy themselves. Ah the human pride.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom