Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Pre-Release Thread

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Man they really fucked the dog on the new Thief, didn't they? Good god almighty. :lol:

Alfons

Prophet
P7aLeow.jpg
All hail the great Jensus! He is the savior Prague needs but not the one it deserves.

Divinity: Original Sin
Haven't read anything about this other than seeing it is announced, and watching the trailer.

I liked DXHR. but it lacked that 90's feeling of the original, when paranoia, conspiracy, x-files, UFOs, Matrix were fresh. Playing the game made you feel like you were uncovering all the urban myths and discovering they were true and beyond. HR don't give you that feeling, but at least it plays like a DX game. This MD trailer actually brings the hidden agendas/conspiracies feel back at some points (though it may actually only appear on cutscenes just like HR intro), but it has to much michael bay in it.

And then, we have this:

FhGiCGj.png

Is this a movie now? Say bye bye to gameplay...

And Stephane Roy as executive producer? How can this smug face still have a job?

arton31757.jpg

"Let me ruin Deus Ex for good now, just like I did with thiaf!"

I wonder why this game isn't called D4us 4x...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Re: Thi4f -- bought it for $3, stopped playing after 3 hours. Bland is the right description.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah the AI was terrible, too. Although I could have lived with that but the levels all looked the same and the central 'hub' was too large and tedious to navigate. Was no need to turn Thief into a semi 'open world' game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Funny enough he's married to one of the other voice actors in the game. Although I don't think she's done much other than that... he used the power of his voice to get his wife a gig!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looks like most main developers behind HR have kind of promoted to "executive"-something.

pippin

According to wikis, the voice actors for Adam and Megan worked together on a Splinter Cell game as well, so it seems that's how it works.
Also, IIRC, JC's neutral tone was a design choice, because the player was supposed to larp give his/her own intention to the character's actions, rather than the character itself giving his own opinions about stuff.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
They are leaning heavily into the conflicts over augmentation. In the original game I never got the sense that people with augmentations were treated so poorly that it would cause such explosive riots; the source of the rioting and destruction in the original seemed to be caused more by the larger political, economic state of the future world. I guess it is just simpler to set the story up as: the people with mechanical arms on one side, the non-mechanical people on the other side. But it could also just be that they needed a lot of cyborgs smashing each other for the trailer.

bonescraper

I like this Adam Jensen IRL guy, he plays vidya games, knows his shit about them and has a p. decent taste (Deus Ex, Splinter Cell). Aslo, i love how he dissed those faggots for playing with object highlight on :salute:

They are leaning heavily into the conflicts over augmentation. In the original game I never got the sense that people with augmentations were treated so poorly that it would cause such explosive riots; the source of the rioting and destruction in the original seemed to be caused more by the larger political, economic state of the future world. I guess it is just simpler to set the story up as: the people with mechanical arms on one side, the non-mechanical people on the other side. But it could also just be that they needed a lot of cyborgs smashing each other for the trailer.
Meh, they're doing their own thing. They are trying to get more serious with the sci-fi themes, so they tackle the moral/religious issues of cyborgization. That's ok in my book. I mean, that's most likely how muslims would react to deep cyborgization (and some extremist christards also). They're just not making it painfully obvious :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well that makes sense considering these are 'prequels.' It's no different than reality where you have some cutting edge social/scientific advance and people are initially resistant to it. In the interim between the games you have richest guy in the world Bob Page to smooth things over so you reach a point where people don't give a shit about augs and are more concerned with wealth disparity, shitty living conditions, etc.

J1M

Arcane
Yes! At last, waited long enough.

I hope that IT IS POSSIBLE TO TOTALLY AVOID COMBAT IN DEUS EX: MANKIND DIVIDED.
Only if you take the rat diplomacy aug.

Someone link the pic.

DX:HR was like JJ Abram's Star Trek reboot. It had all the bells and whistles of Star Trek, and it had the same recognizable characters, but it didn't have the soul. Star Trek was about exploration, whereas the reboot was an action movie in space. DX was about the conspiracy, whereas DXHR was an action game in Detroit. The similarities between the two games are flimsy and superficial., which suggests that they didn't understand what the first DX was really doing. Or, in the spirit of charity, it maybe suggests that higher-ups wanted a cover shooter instead of a good story.
Consider playing the next one without using guns. Those are a cheat code for console gamers. :smug:

I hope you'll have the option to side with the communist rebellion. Otherwise, not gonna bother.
Only after you've learned that UNATCO interpol has a secret basement.

I liked HR so I am lloking forward to this,if the improve their product like they did with the Missing Link it will be good

I never played Missing link and I missed my opportunity to as I refuse to buy the directors cut for obvious reasons. Though when missing link came out, I was under the impression that it dumbed the game down, destroyed the stealth game and turned it into a FPS confrontational shooter of running down corridors killing things. True? Not True, exaggerated? What?
Missing Link is the only piece of DLC that I've ever seen that wasn't a cash grab made by interns.

It is included in this, which will go on sale for $10 soon enough: http://store.steampowered.com/app/238010/

Very little of the initial concepts made it into the game. The DX:HR promotional videos featured large worldwide protests against augmentation, which didn't feature heavily in the game; a lot of social conflict between humans and augs, which didn't feature heavily in the game; vague religious iconography, which didn't feature heavily in the game; and a "cyber-renaissance" style, which didn't feature heavily in the game either. They were still there, but muted in contrast to what a lot of people were expecting. In the end, the final product converged towards a much more plain post-cyberpunk setting with an interesting design aesthetic, but not much actually there.

Also, we are still at the announcement stage. Given how much EM had staked and lost on Thief 4, I expect heavy-handed creative control and enormous pressure to deliver the broadest, most market-friendly product Square Enix can think up. Under those conditions, what can we realistically expect?
That they won't waste our time with Thief 5 before Deus Ex: Jensen Part 3.

Meh, it's much simpler than that.

They are playing with the ole "messianic" iconography again, just like the last time.

Notice how the light around Adam sorta blooms into a likeness of wings? That's the whole, sole reason behind the shot.

And it's not the only pair of wings Jensen got in this trailer.

Plus, that shot might not end up in the game anyway. The first DX:HR trailers also featured stuff that was either not in the game (Jensen-Icarus dreams, Jensen chilling in his apartment, Jensen fighting Barrett in what seems like the Hengsha docks...).

All hail the great Jensus! He is the savior Prague needs but not the one it deserves.
Let's put an end to this lazy juvenile 'insight'. Jensen is not jesus, he is Icarus. It is cool, but it is not subtle.

:neveraskedforthis:

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I like this Adam Jensen IRL guy, he plays vidya games, knows his shit about them and has a p. decent taste (Deus Ex, Splinter Cell). Aslo, i love how he dissed those faggots for playing with object highlight on :salute:

Meh, they're doing their own thing. They are trying to get more serious with the sci-fi themes, so they tackle the moral/religious issues of cyborgization. That's ok in my book. I mean, that's most likely how muslims would react to deep cyborgization (and some extremist christards also). They're just not making it painfully obvious :lol:

Maybe all those augmented people turning into murderous cyberzombies on live TV near the end of DXHR skewed public opinion.

GrumpyGringo

Barely Literate
I'm rather excited for this title as I absolutely loved Human Revolution. Now if only they could remake the first with a face-lift.

Sykar

Arcane
You are aware that all Deus Ex games could be played without stealth whatsoever? While I personally found the trailer overdone to no end this is kind of meaningless criticism. Also what would have been so exciting to see in a pure stealth trailer? Jensen waiting in an air duct for 3 minutes? Furthermore, they did show some stealth moments when he sneaks up on someone for example and stuns him with that weird taser from his fist, or going invisible after his smoke.

Also, the trailer of HR had just as little stealth elements in it and was just as violent showing Jensen killing multiple people with his various augmentations.

Alfons

Prophet
You are aware that all Deus Ex games could be played without stealth whatsoever?While I personally found the trailer overdone to no end this is kind of meaningless criticism.
You missed the point of the post. Regardless, Deus Ex games can be played without stealth, but that's only true if you're idea of playing is quick saving after every kill and being randomly killed by a single headshot.
Also what would have been so exciting to see in a pure stealth trailer? Jensen waiting in an air duct for 3 minutes?
Personally, I don't need an "exciting" 4 minute Michael Bay montage to be interested. A "stealth trailer" would be more about tension and the air duct tidbit says more about the stealth in HR than how "exciting" stealth is. In reality, you are missing the point again. I want a trailer that's representative of the actual experience, not some flashy shit that's supposed to make me interested.
Furthermore, they did show some stealth moments when he sneaks up on someone for example and stuns him with that weird taser from his fist, or going invisible after his smoke.
Knocking guys out from across the room, that's hardcore stealth.
Also, the trailer of HR had just as little stealth elements in it and was just as violent showing Jensen killing multiple people with his various augmentations.
So fucking what? Does the fact that the trailer for the first game was full of shit makes this full of shit trailer any better?

Of course there's always the chance that it's an accurate trailer, if it is then......:retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom