Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Defense of the Decline

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also in that thread: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...ernity-old-school-innovation/#comment-1102399

Wizardry said:
It’s interesting that you say that because Chris Avellone is one of the people responsible for taking a great genre, stripping away everything that makes it great and leaving adventure game dialogue with some skill checks. Comparing Planescape: Torment, which is basically the standard template these days, with Star Trail absolutely blows my mind to this day. Yes, variety is good, but the variety we have now is the Chris Avellone style and the Todd Howard style, both of which suck.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
What exactly did Planescape strip out from RPGs? Was it the character system? No. Magic spells? No. Combat? Less than some other RPGs, but no. Choice in solving quests? Definitely no. I'm not seeing it... it has more dialogue than other RPGs but I don't think it has less of anything, except in proportion to the talky bits. Comparing it to Wizardry, Might & Magic, Reals of Arkania etc. is not very fair because it was built as a very different type of game with very different gameplay goals.

The original author of that comment has okay ideas but his conclusions do not follow from his arguments as others have said. The big problem is that he ascribes responsibility to things for which he has no proof or even compelling evidence for (i.e. that small KotOR levels were the result of memory limitations), and makes assumptions about the intent of developers (i.e. that they wanted to get rid of clunky menus because they sucked). This is an opinion piece, and a rather poor one, masquerading as a statement of truth.

One point he did make which I agree with is that Warcraft was responsible for popularizing loot and grinding as the central focus of RPGs. Other RPGs did the same thing in the past but it was definitely Warcraft that was responsible for making every other RPG since then play up "epic loot" more than anything else, especially in marketing. Nowadays when reading interviews with RPG developers it seems like that's all many of them seem to think about... combat and loot as an end in itself, as if the quantity of each determines the quality of your RPG.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What exactly did Planescape strip out from RPGs? Was it the character system? No. Magic spells? No. Combat? Less than some other RPGs, but no. Choice in solving quests? Definitely no. I'm not seeing it... it has more dialogue than other RPGs but I don't think it has less of anything, except in proportion to the talky bits.

Well, maybe MMXI can weigh in and tell us how Planescape Torment compares with Realms of Arkania, and how he thinks Torment is the "standard template these days".

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Also in that thread: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...ernity-old-school-innovation/#comment-1102399

Wizardry said:
It’s interesting that you say that because Chris Avellone is one of the people responsible for taking a great genre, stripping away everything that makes it great and leaving adventure game dialogue with some skill checks. Comparing Planescape: Torment, which is basically the standard template these days, with Star Trail absolutely blows my mind to this day. Yes, variety is good, but the variety we have now is the Chris Avellone style and the Todd Howard style, both of which suck.
What a bizarre argument. The purpose of skills is to give players options in how they approach situations. Realms of Arkania had a lot of skills but they weren't used nearly as well as in games like Fallout. Some skills are just never used (geography, animal training), others are checked passively during events (climbing, history, danger sense), others modify passive combat values (tactics, swords) and there are a few you can use on command (pickpocket, treat wounds). I cannot think of a single situation in the entire Realms of Arkania series where the player is given multiple paths that utilize different skills to solve a problem. It's always "DO X UNTIL YOU SUCCEED". Fallout and Torment always gave players multiple ways to find solutions, even if they were just dialogue checks.

mondblut

Arcane

Wizardry said:

Are you by any chance implying that's incorrect or something?

MMXI

Arcane
What exactly did Planescape strip out from RPGs? Was it the character system? No. Magic spells? No. Combat? Less than some other RPGs, but no. Choice in solving quests? Definitely no. I'm not seeing it... it has more dialogue than other RPGs but I don't think it has less of anything, except in proportion to the talky bits.
I don't think he was implying that Planescape: Torment was the game to ruin RPGs. I think he was implying that it was one of them. My guess is that the template formed with games of that era is one focused more on the story and characters, one where you don't create a party and one that doesn't have turn-based combat. Though obviously previous games had some of these things too, with Ultima VII being perhaps the best example, but saying "Chris Avellone is one of the people responsible" isn't too inaccurate if you look at his games. Even though the execution of the formula in Planescape: Torment is a hell of a lot better than the majority of its "successors", in many ways games like Dragon Age II follow on from that Baldur's Gate/Planescape: Torment style.

One thing I've picked up from all my time on the internet is that "storyfag" RPGs tend to elicit conversations about the characters and story within them. Often you see people talking about the plot or the motivations of particular characters in Knights of the Old Republic II or Planescape: Torment. On the other hand, you tend to find conversations about character builds, party compositions, unusual quest solutions and gameplay challenges in the rest. Now this might not seem interesting, but this says everything about what people take away from these games, and therefore what people actually play these games for.

Comparing it to Wizardry, Might & Magic, Reals of Arkania etc. is not very fair because it was built as a very different type of game with very different gameplay goals.
This is true, but if you've seen other posts by Wizardry you'll notice that he doesn't particularly care for games with those goals. He doesn't see things as "good for what it is". Personal preference I guess.

What a bizarre argument. The purpose of skills is to give players options in how they approach situations. Realms of Arkania had a lot of skills but they weren't used nearly as well as in games like Fallout. Some skills are just never used (geography, animal training), others are checked passively during events (climbing, history, danger sense), others modify passive combat values (tactics, swords) and there are a few you can use on command (pickpocket, treat wounds). I cannot think of a single situation in the entire Realms of Arkania series where the player is given multiple paths that utilize different skills to solve a problem. It's always "DO X UNTIL YOU SUCCEED". Fallout and Torment always gave players multiple ways to find solutions, even if they were just dialogue checks.
I think the mistake you are making here is that you're bringing Fallout into the discussion when he was specifically talking about Planescape: Torment and the BioWarian formula. And don't forget that Fallout had some near useless skills too, and a hell of a lot of contextual skill usage. It wasn't the perfect system either. My guess is that he avoided picking Fallout because 1) it's more popular, 2) it's newer, 3) it's from the same company as Planescape: Torment and 4) it's a single character RPG.

To be honest I just want to see the PS:T fans and the mondblutians finally fight it out for once. :smug:
:bro:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Now this might not seem interesting, but this says everything about what people take away from these games, and therefore what people actually play these games for.

...and what the developers of said games gather feedback on and develop further in their subsequent games, thus evolving the entire genre in that direction.

MMXI

Arcane
...and what the developers of said games gather feedback on and develop further in their subsequent games, thus evolving the entire genre in that direction.
In general, yes, except for the Bethesda school of games. They have their own place with their own fans and their own expectations. But I think since around 2000, RPGs in general have moved more towards "epic stories" and "character drama", to the point where people equate role-playing games with games that tell a good story. On the other side of the coin, Bethesda games have caused people to claim that role-playing games are about "immersion".

Grimlorn

Arcane
MMXI is correct about what people take from these games. I've seen quite a few biotards on the Obsidian forums use PST as an example to justify how there doesn't need to be combat for a RPG to be a RPG or justify skipping combat in RPGs. They use it as an example of how RPGs should be about great stories and characters and nothing else. Same with romances. PST had them and was great. Romances are great and should be in every RPG.

I was talking to a Bioware dev over there that used it to defend Hepler wanting a skip combat button in RPGs. PST's combat sucked and it was a great RPG so RPGs don't need combat and should have a skip combat button.

It's to the point where I'm ashamed PST is my favorite RPG because it's been twisted so much to justify the decline of RPGs now.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
There are fewer nuanced role-playing options, but it could be argued that the ones that are still there are more meaningful.

What? Which ones? And in which way are they more meaningful?

Something like this, I imagine:

ULmiO.jpg

Topher

Cipher
MMXI is correct about what people take from these games. I've seen quite a few biotards on the Obsidian forums use PST as an example to justify how there doesn't need to be combat for a RPG to be a RPG or justify skipping combat in RPGs. They use it as an example of how RPGs should be about great stories and characters and nothing else. Same with romances. PST had them and was great. Romances are great and should be in every RPG.

I was talking to a Bioware dev over there that used it to defend Hepler wanting a skip combat button in RPGs. PST's combat sucked and it was a great RPG so RPGs don't need combat and should have a skip combat button.

It's to the point where I'm ashamed PST is my favorite RPG because it's been twisted so much to justify the decline of RPGs now.

Perhaps my memories are just twisted but many of the "non-combat" elements in Planescape came in the form of interesting dialogue puzzles and quests like the "non -combat" or "story" elements seen during the 'unbroken circle' quest chain with Dakkon or the various inventory manipulation puzzles that I remember like the Mordron toy or the triangle earring.

Modern "story-driven" RPG's, Bioware's fare included, certainly don't have elements such as those and chatting up party members for fluff/backstory isn't even close to the same thing nor do those actions inherently make a game "dialogue driven" or "story-based". I accept that my example the 'unbroken circle' quest chain resulted in upgrading Dakkon, a mechanic seen in newer Bioware games, but completing it involved numerous PC stat checks, some being quite high-level, took a long time to complete and Dakkon isn't a required NPC so some players might not even have him in their party and thus might never even have a chance to see his content.

It also seems that people forget the amount of combat in Planescape. The crypts, diagonal ally, trash warrens, outer planes, undersigil, the fortress of regret and that's just to name a few i can remember off the top of my head. Granted, the combat wasn't the best but it seems to me that all these people wanting "entirely story-driven combat-free RPG's" must have missed the adventure game genre entirely.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
On point by point:
1. This first point is just wrong. RPG's were never traditional "memory hogs." It is only a recent development that RPG's become greater graphics programs. IE games being too graphic intensive or memory intensive? It loads zone by zone, this would be ideal for consoles. The system requirements for Baldur's Gate are 166 MHz CPU and 16MB of RAM and a 2MB video card. The requirements for KOTOR (which came out 5 years later) are more significant and have more graphically intensive zones.

He's not talking about RAM (although consoles do have amazingly shitty RAM in every generation) but just flat out memory. Baldur's Gate takes up 5 fucking CD's. You can't put that shit on a console. Well, maybe if you're fucking Square. But that's with an install. God only knows how many discs it would take to run the entire game on the fly, without having anything installed. 7 discs? 10? Admittedly half of this shit is just cinematics. But having to swap disks twice every time a cutscene happens wouldn't be a good option either.
Baldur's Gate and it's sequel only used so much space because they weren't compressed. You'll notice the releases had all the same data on fewer disks (I think down to 2 for each one). I don't know if it's because of technical limitations at the time (lack of good compression algorithms and/or it would take 10 hours to decompress on a CPU), or Bioware/Interplay just not knowing what they're doing.

Using jpegs and mp3s instead of bitmaps and wav files would probably cut the games down to 1/3 their size installed.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
He's not talking about RAM (although consoles do have amazingly shitty RAM in every generation) but just flat out memory. Baldur's Gate takes up 5 fucking CD's. You can't put that shit on a console. Well, maybe if you're fucking Square. But that's with an install. God only knows how many discs it would take to run the entire game on the fly, without having anything installed. 7 discs? 10? Admittedly half of this shit is just cinematics. But having to swap disks twice every time a cutscene happens wouldn't be a good option either.
Some dipshit said:
I still vividly remember starting up KOTOR on my Xbox and expecting Baldur’s Gate through a Star Wars lens, and being horrified at how tiny so many of the environments were

The guy argues that on the Xbox, he expected KOTOR to be BG, and claims they couldn't make BG for the XBOX, they had to make the games smaller due to Xbox constraints. They could make BG for the Xbox, and you are giving his analysis too much credit. Of course, his writing is terrible, so maybe you are right and I am wrong. Either way, I'm the big loser because I read his writing five times now, and I hate it more each time.

J1M

Arcane
On point by point:
1. This first point is just wrong. RPG's were never traditional "memory hogs." It is only a recent development that RPG's become greater graphics programs. IE games being too graphic intensive or memory intensive? It loads zone by zone, this would be ideal for consoles. The system requirements for Baldur's Gate are 166 MHz CPU and 16MB of RAM and a 2MB video card. The requirements for KOTOR (which came out 5 years later) are more significant and have more graphically intensive zones.

Baldur's Gate and it's sequel only used so much space because they weren't compressed. You'll notice the releases had all the same data on fewer disks (I think down to 2 for each one). I don't know if it's because of technical limitations at the time (lack of good compression algorithms and/or it would take 10 hours to decompress on a CPU), or Bioware/Interplay just not knowing what they're doing.

Using jpegs and mp3s instead of bitmaps and wav files would probably cut the games down to 1/3 their size installed.
No, jpgs would be blurry as shit and is a lossy compression. But you are right that something like DXT would make sense.

Ffordesoon

Novice
So this is a genuinely terrible idea that I will absolutely regret as soon as the first comment on, er, this comment rolls around. ;)

Hi, everybody. I appreciate your comments. Some more than others, obviously, but the people refuting my arguments are almost certainly correct. At the least, they're correct that I didn't communicate my argument effectively. My piece has many weaknesses, and it's by far one of the weaker pieces I've written. I agree with most of your complaints (I mean, aside from the ones I don't agree with:smug:), and I would have tried to make it better if I'd realized it would be posted on here and mocked before I wrote it. Which I honestly don't mind; it's always good to get feedback, even from people who disagree fundamentally with you and hate your fucking newfag consolekiddie guts.:P

Anyway, I thank you sincerely for the critiques. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have, should they not be along the lines of "Y u suck so bad, bro?"

(Which, given how things work around here, means that will be the first question asked. Or probably something worse.:D )

Oh, and don't worry, I only signed up to post in this thread and be hated. I wouldn't dare pollute the glorious Codex with my tl;dr popamole wordvomit.:hero::love:

EDIT: Oh, and Infinitron? I should clarify that I wasn't against you posting it here, since the internet is written in ink. I'm just saying that I would have done more than one draft had I known it would go up here before you asked.

EDIT 2: Not that that would have made the reaction any better. I'm not stupid, he said, knowing he's about to be called very fucking stupid.:) ALSO I SWEAR I DO NOT USUALLY EDIT THINGS THIS MUCH YOU GUYS

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Sup 'ford. You might notice a poster named MMXI here, who is absolutely not Wizardry from RPS.

The guy argues that on the Xbox, he expected KOTOR to be BG, and claims they couldn't make BG for the XBOX, they had to make the games smaller due to Xbox constraints. They could make BG for the Xbox, and you are giving his analysis too much credit. Of course, his writing is terrible, so maybe you are right and I am wrong. Either way, I'm the big loser because I read his writing five times now, and I hate it more each time.

IIRC there's a working PS1 port of Baldur's Gate that was never released.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This thread would have been funnier if you and everyone else had just ignored him. Where's your sense of comedic timing?

Also you couldn't make a BG-sized game with full 3D graphics for the xbox. To back up what I said earlier:
http://social.bioware.com/forums/foru../forum/1/topic/13/index/7637945/5
the water planet Manaan in KotOR. The construction of he level changed significantly as we were getting nearer to the ship date, as we tried to juggle the needs of the story vs. our memory budget. not only di the size of certain areas need to be changed, but hte number of areas, period, needed to be looked at. While the final version of the planet still seemed pretty large, at one point during development it was larger still.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The odd thing about KotOR's environments was that while they were seemingly expansive, they were largely devoid of content or anything remotely interesting. Hallways, corridors, walkways, and large patches of non-interactive scenery were plentiful, but one entire half of a planet would consist of two shops, half a dozen explorable rooms, and a handful of points of interest (important NPCs, an encounter, et cetera).

You can blame most of the decline on the growing pains experienced in the transition from 2D to 3D, the encroachment of console specifications into PC gaming, and the desire of development houses to appeal to a larger (which is a euphemism for "stupid and far less patient") audience. I personally enjoyed KotOR very much, but it is a prime example of all three of those factors.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
To be honest I just want to see the PS:T fans and the mondblutians finally fight it out for once. :smug:

Actually some time ago I had a couple of boxing matches with monblut about this. Basically because I couldn't understand why he hated it so much, because I didn't think it really had that much of an impact, if any. But it seems his hate is justified even though I would place the blame more on Bioware, because at least from a sales viewpoint Torment isn't even comparable.

And hey, people are to blame too when they gather in masses around a subject.
As Grimlorn very well put it:

Even though it's not my favorite RPG, seeing all the retarded fans it has makes me often doubt myself.

mondblut

Arcane
Perhaps my memories are just twisted but many of the "non-combat" elements in Planescape came in the form of interesting dialogue puzzles and quests like the "non -combat" or "story" elements seen during the 'unbroken circle' quest chain with Dakkon or the various inventory manipulation puzzles that I remember like the Mordron toy or the triangle earring.

If you are trying to prove PST is a 1000% Sierra/LucasArts adventure game which is all about "guess which dialogue line should be picked to proceed, lol" and "try and err which item to use on what item", no need to bother, we know it from day one :smug:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Sup 'ford. You might notice a poster named MMXI here, who is absolutely not Wizardry from RPS.

IIRC there's a working PS1 port of Baldur's Gate that was never released.
Wait, you mean to tell me it's just sitting out there, not making any money or stinking up the console scene?
Interplay_Herve_Caen_350.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom