Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deathfire Cancelled

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore; G3 Studios

Despite a valiant effort to keep the project alive that nearly succeeded in raising the requisite amount of funds, Guido Henkel has decided to pull the plug on Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore and refund all backers. A blog update explains:

It is with a heavy heart that I am writing this today, because the news I bring are not good. As of today, we have cancelled the development of “Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore!”

I know that very many of you will be very disappointed, and I want you to know that I am every bit as disappointed as you are. Perhaps even more so, because we had invested one entire year of work, sweat, effort, hope and money into this project. It has become a dream project of sorts, the kind of game you really want to make, because you know that in the end it would have all the hallmarks of becoming a classic genre title. But alas, it was not supposed to be!

It is not a decision we have made lightly, and the fact that we tried to fight for the survival of the project tooth and nail is, I think, evidence of that. However, the way the project has shaped up and the way things have developed, we feel that we can no longer safely guarantee the completion of the game, and it would be entirely unethical to take your money and spend it without any real hope of ever completing the game.

Despite the fact that we are within reach of the $50,000 mark we had outlined to get started on the development of Chapter 1, the notion behind this has always been to see if we can rally enough support outside of Kickstarter to generate a steady flow of backers who could help us raise the necessary funds over time. This attempt was not a Kickstarter-like campaign, and it was never so much about reaching the actual amount of $50,000 in a fixed amount of time, as it was to see how support shaped up and whether the project had the ability to generate a sustainable flow of income that would guarantee its safety.

As our data show, the continuous stream of backing is simply not strong enough to support the development. While we had fairly good initial momentum and a number of high-prized backers that brought the amount to a good level very quickly, for a project to sustain itself over the long term, we were mostly looking at how many low-tiered backers would join us. It shows us the general level of interest and visibility, as well as the potential to get these backers to increase their pledges over time as they see more of the game and get more excited about it. They are the lifeblood of an ongoing project and this level of backers has been low and very unsteady, telling us that very quickly we would eat up the $50,000 we raised as base funding, without any hope of replenishing the funds at the level that is required in order to guarantee and to pay for the actual development. This puts the entire project in serious jeopardy from the very beginning, turning it into a huge and dangerous gamble!

In addition, there have been several changes going on behind the scenes that also affect our ability to develop and complete the project within a reasonable amount of time—even under the best of circumstances, and without proper and steady funding there is simply no way for us to remedy that situation. Therefore, we have to acknowledge the fact that we are simply in no position at this time to create “Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore.”

We might have been able to cobble together *something* but it would not have been what we had set out to do and what we had promised. If Chapter 1 would have a reduced feature set it would have been a disappointment for fans. As opposed to adding momentum, it would have turned people away from the project and would have given us a bad reputation. It would, essentially, have turned us into frauds, which is absolutely unacceptable, of course.

It is therefore in everyone’s best interest to terminate the project before any real damage is done. We will refund all your pledges over the next few days. Please keep in mind that this is a manual process that is actually rather tedious, and with over 1,000 pledges and the holidays, this may take a few days to complete, so please bear with us.

Before we do that, however, we would like to take a moment to celebrate our fans!

In a world of hopelessly vitriolic message boards and web site comment sections filled with unqualified hatred, it has truly been a fresh breeze to watch the “Deathfire” community spring to life. The outpour of support from our fans has been astonishing and often helped us forget the struggle we were going through.

We met some great new people and made some new friends along the way, fans all, who approached us with ideas, suggestions and comments, fans who went out of their way to help us promote the project. If we could thank each and everyone one of you individually and in person, we would. We may never be able to properly express our gratitude to everyone who supported us, but we want you to know, that in our book, you are the greatest fans we could ever have asked for!

Thank you for the great ride. It was fun and exciting, and we could not have done it without you!

The Deathfire Team
Gee, I wonder what "hopelessly vitriolic message boards and web site comment sections filled with unqualified hatred" he could be talking about?

getter77

Augur
Was there ever a reason given for the stark 2 week cutoff point for this 50K target? Given the holiday timing on top of the lot of it, and how close it got despite things stalling out for the last several days...well...it seems an odd corner to paint themselves in.

Hopefully some future project of his can manage to strike the balance or he can sign on with another one that intends to give him plenty of creative freedom.

Hell, perhaps trying something 2D could help to shake off this rut his 3D endeavors seem to be stuck in? He might stumble onto something messing around with the likes of, I don't know, the soon forthcoming Iceblink engine?

Repressed Homosexual
It was never realistic in the first place, that's what it comes down to. It's not realisitic to pay living wages for a few professionals at Kickstarter levels without big names behind it to generate extreme demand, and even then project like Shadowrun Returns have had to take out personal loans to implement basic features.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Its fine for young and ambitious indie groups, that are willing to live off the smell of an oily rag, but for older professionals that have families to support, yeah its risky. And not everyone can head these projects up. You really need someone like Brian Fargo, the kind of guy that can sell fridges to Eskimos.

Sad news but considering that reductionist loser attitude he had insistently been putting on display since Thorvalla KS, I find it amazing Guido managed to find any job in the industry at all. A lot of sound advise flew right over his head and he kept making the same mistakes. Not a surprising end.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Its fine for young and ambitious indie groups, that are willing to live off the smell of an oily rag, but for older professionals that have families to support, yeah its risky. And not everyone can head these projects up. You really need someone like Brian Fargo, the kind of guy that can sell fridges to Eskimos.

:lol:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
but there's good news too: deathfire was going to be shit, so nothing bad really happened

Shannow

Waster of Time
Deathfire had the sounds of being good to decent - in parts perhaps even awesome - you stupid shit-gobbling fuck.
Yeah, I'm a little butthurt how the Codex treated this project. Especially compared how it treats anything by Obsidian, no matter how shitty the feature-list or end product.
Ah well, the Codex was in decline since at least 2008 and I haven noticed any good new poster since Sceptic, so there's no reason to be suprized.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
but there's good news too: deathfire was going to be shit, so nothing bad really happened

trololol

Seriously, how come dumbfucks like this one become moderators on the Codex?

Deathfire had the sounds of being good to decent - in parts perhaps even awesome - you stupid shit-gobbling fuck.
Yeah, I'm a little butthurt how the Codex treated this project. Especially compared how it treats anything by Obsidian, no matter how shitty the feature-list or end product.

That part I agree on.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Especially compared how it treats anything by Obsidian, no matter how shitty the feature-list or end product.

But South Park ERPEGEE, man! You know it will be good! Unless publishers ruin it! Deathfire had nothing on South Park ERPEGEE!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But South Park ERPEGEE, man! You know it will be good! Unless publishers ruin it! Deathfire had nothing on South Park ERPEGEE!

I can't speak for other posters, but as far as the front page goes, we've devoted only the barest minimum amount of coverage to South Park. Deathfire has gotten a lot more posts.

Personally, I had more respect for Deathfire before Guido took it to Kickstarter. I thought he was planning to put together something super-indie, tight and efficient, all on his own, and would not require crowdfunding, and so I posted every single one of his updates, as long as they were interesting.

But when he went on Kickstarter, he instantly became just another small-time Kickstarter asking for our money, instead of a plucky independent RPG developer like Vault Dweller. And so I kind of lost interest.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Eh, I was talking about the wankers who wank to whatever shit Obsidian pulls. Just wait for that Russian MMO. They'll be in heavenz. Because it's Obsidian IT COULD BE VERY GOOD THEY HAVE POTENTIAL JUST YOU WAIT AVELLONE WILL BE DOING THE LEVEL UP BUTTON

Personally, I had more respect for Deathfire before Guido took it to Kickstarter.

Somewhat, I guess. But if they couldn't do it, they couldn't do it. As Davaris said, not everybody can live on dreams. It's pretty naive to expect everybody to live and die for their craft.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Despite the fact that we are within reach of the $50,000 mark we had outlined to get started on the development of Chapter 1, the notion behind this has always been to see if we can rally enough support outside of Kickstarter to generate a steady flow of backers who could help us raise the necessary funds over time. This attempt was not a Kickstarter-like campaign, and it was never so much about reaching the actual amount of $50,000 in a fixed amount of time, as it was to see how support shaped up and whether the project had the ability to generate a sustainable flow of income that would guarantee its safety.
Are there people that still thnk that peanuts can make games?

Guido Henkel a promise of Italian genius and German efficiency that unfortunately turns out to embody Italian erratic behavior and German blockheadness.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So:

Starts working on Thorvhalla. Doesn't succeed in acquiring money. Drops the project.
Starts working on Deathfire. Doesn't succeed in acquiring money. Drops the project.
Starts working on [insert project name]. Doesn't succeed in acquiring money. Drops the project.

Guido: "FANS ARE THE ONES TO BE BLAMED! NO ONE UNDERSTANDS MY GENIUS. [CRYING LIKE A BABY]"

For fuck's sake, he should have made at least the first chapter and then drop it if it turned out to be a financial disaster. Making a turn-based 10-or-so-hour RPG set completely in a dungeon (ala Legend of Grimrock) could have been possible and would probably get a lot attention from the people that liked that game.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Even though Kickstarter is sadly nothing more than a popularity contest, i still think, that if he had come out with this particular pitch first time instead of Thorvalla, he could have easily hit the goal and then some.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well... he's not taking any financial risks. I can understand that, somehow.
But then again, Kickstarter and the likes are clearly not the correct platforms for teams that want to make projects without risks.

Indie development is always a financial risk, IMO, even if you have good backing on KS. Also, I wouldn't want to start working on a project that can only be made if a crowd funding campaign is successful. But maybe that is just me ;)

Kz3r0

Arcane
Even though Kickstarter is sadly nothing more than a popularity contest, i still think, that if he had come out with this particular pitch first time instead of Thorvalla, he could have easily hit the goal and then some.
No, he just joined the bandwaqgon asking for a million dollars with Thorvalla, with Deathfire he got money, he just asked too much.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
The problem here is not promotion, but what he was promoting. The sad fact is that almost nobody likes blobers and I would have supported it, if was not a blober. A simple poll before stating to work on the game could have answered the question.

Another thing is that he obviously over invested into gfx. Old school gamers simply dont care about gfx so much as long as the product is appealing.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
A second Kickstarter with a lower goal would have brought in more money than what he got on the site, but apparently he did not want to sacrifice more time on another Kickstarter. He wanted to focus on the game instead of the financing and now he got neither the financing nor the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom