Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Dead State Postmortem by Brian Mitsoda

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
The new update is out. Main highlights are Iron Man mode, crawlers, loot KO'd Characters, new levels, and AI improvements.

• Added Iron Man mode! A true test of survival! All saves are disabled except for a daily autosave and a resume point when you quit the game. Whatever happens, happened. No take-backs.
    • See our design notes below the changelog about separating Iron Man mode from difficulty settings and player infection.
  • Added new undead type: crawlers! Seems some people got pretty messed up before they turned. These mangled dead dudes and ladies have a nasty Trip Attack, so keep one eye on the ground at all times.
  • Added movement and activity to the Shelter! Everyone in the Shelter now moves around to different locations when assigned to work. If you forget where to look for someone, remember to check the Shelter summary screen with the ‘H’ hotkey or double-check the job board.
  • Added custom portrait editor! You can now create your own unique portrait by selecting hair color, hair style, eye color, facial hair, tattoo, and more. We’ve also added a couple nifty features we felt were missing from the typical portrait creator: loading a previous portrait to work from, and undoing changes you’ve made.
  • Added looting of KO’ed characters! Want to knock somebody down, steal their stuff, and leave them for the undead to finish off? Now you can!
  • Changes to Parisa!:
    • Added new discussion topic options in Shelter
    • Added new dialogue
    • Added new character perk choice
    • See our design notes below the changelog about the changes to Parisa’s storyline.
  • Changed noise-activated spawn behavior. Adjusted likelihood of spawning an undead at different noise levels, and undead spawns from noise become more likely over time.
  • Balanced the distribution of items required for upgrades.
  • Added five new levels.
  • Improved grenade and molotov code.
  • Added Fortify skill on Riot Shield. Now you can end your turn early for a +10 AC boost to your defence.
  • Fixed several combat AI related exploits. Enemies will now chase you around corners and through doors, and combat will no longer end if line of sight is broken temporarily.
  • Improved undead mobbing behavior, added a mob bonus to undead grapple attack when in groups.
  • Fixed human AI to make KO’ed enemies the lowest priority target for humans.
  • Fixed an issue where humans-turned-undead did not drop weapons.
  • Fixed an issue where Doug sometimes disappeared for a while before waking up.
  • Fixed an issue with Shelter inventory ignoring maximum weight.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed characters to equip stacks of items from Shelter inventory.
  • Fixed exploit to bring dead characters back to life in combat.
  • Fixed an issue where Survival bonus was lost on area map when travelling from a map other than the shelter.
  • Fixed a bug with Unity perk.
  • Fixed cases of recruiting dead allies again.
  • Fixed cases of being unable to attack neutral NPCs.
  • Added appropriate SFX to car gates and roll-down doors.
  • Fixed issue where Chemist perk cancelled Unity perk.
  • Fixed some bugs related to Team Effort and Unity.
  • Fixed issue where Pumped and Aimed status were not applied if the job carried over into the next day.
  • Improved some maps.
  • Adjusted nailgun stats.

So Iron Man Mode is here, yay! However, it’s different than what we originally had planned. We’ve decided to split up Iron Man, Hardcore difficulty, and Player Infection rather than have the latter two be grouped into Iron Man’. You can see all three of these options when you start a new game now, although Hardcore and Player Infection aren’t implemented yet and will be in a future update. The reason we decided to separate these into three options on a new game was that we wanted to allow players to choose their own experience. Hardcore and Player Infection require a ton more internal testing before we release them into the wild, thus why they’re not in the current patch. Furthermore, we are planning a pretty big balance pass and AI adjustments for a future Patch, so the way Hardcore difficulty works will be greatly influenced by those changes. In the meantime, we hope you’ll start up a new Iron Man mode and challenge your skills!

We added in a bit more resolution for Parisa's storyline - which was never intended to be an ending - plus some more zesty character development. If you'd like to know more about this particular aspect of the game, here's a link to where it lives on the forums (and beware, it contains SPOILERS!): http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,6303.0.html

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Elhoim my friend, I've just spent the last hour and a half unsuccessfully getting the game to launch, despite updating drivers and despite my reservations about the game in the first place. And not only do I now wish I could get my $30 back, I feel like you owe ME $30 for that wasted hour and a half of my life.

I mean...I know your game is called 'Dead State' but fucking come on.

EG

Nullified
Fix my computer or give me money!
Sure, describe your problem more fully.

(Have you tried disabling the Steam overlay in Properties? Right click Dead State in Steam's list view to get there.)

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
(Have you tried disabling the Steam overlay in Properties? Right click Dead State in Steam's list view to get there.)

Yeah, no dice. Thing is, after updating my drivers I got it to load. And then I made the mistake of minimizing the screen...and after that, no more dice no matter what tricks I've tried. I got it to load on my Vaio ultrabook but that's obviously not ideal.

Game runs just fine for me.

Well fuckin' hooray for you, eh?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It sounds like something is messed up on your end Twinkie. If you have steam version have you tried verifying cache?

Also, rerun the redist installers in steam\steamapps\common\Dead State\_CommonRedist

EG

Nullified

Yeah, no dice. Thing is, after updating my drivers I got it to load. And then I made the mistake of minimizing the screen...and after that, no more dice no matter what tricks I've tried. I got it to load on my Vaio ultrabook but that's obviously not ideal.
Hope this isn't Windows 8 and that Torque3D isn't primarily a OpenGL pipeline then . . . Because if it is, welcome to the wide world of shit drivers.

From Google:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/239840/discussions/0/616189742835317524/?#c619568192671891325

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
It sounds like something is messed up on your end Twinkie. If you have steam version have you tried verifying cache?

Yep. Funny that it'd be on my end...in four years with this PC I've never had a problem with a game crashing on launch from Steam.

Also, rerun the redist installers in steam\steamapps\common\Dead State\_CommonRedist

Will give this a shot.

Hope this isn't Windows 8

W7 64

EG

Nullified
Ah ha! But how many of those games have been indie-beaten Torques! Really, same stuff I go through with Project Zomboid users. Can't know a Nvidia 840m will eat itself until someone finds out it does. :(

nGy7kow.png

I imagine you'd tell us if you got something like that? It just surprised me (after killing the connection to my monitor somehow). Then, on the second launch, Steam installed VCRedist and it's working. Weird.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Reinstalling C++ worked. For now. I don't dare minimize the screen (posting this from laptop).

DarkArcher

Educated
The problem with this is it just doesn't give me confidence for their next game. Besides being too small, did they listen to the community?

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
  • Improved undead mobbing behavior, added a mob bonus to undead grapple attack when in groups.

The two cents of someone who postponed playing the game, but right there you've got the ideal remedy against armors being too efficient IMO : when in numbers make zombies use grapple attacks systematically and make grappled chars lose their protection bonuses. That's the iconic way of dying in zombie movies and combat gameplay should revolve around that dreadful possibility, at least as much as it does around the danger of becoming infected...

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
It's a little buggy and unpolished but I'm having a blast. Haven't played enough yet to get down to bullet points but I will say that it does a far better job at "Scavenger" game-play than any other RPG (besides Dead Money DLC for FO:NV) I've played. Really makes you think about what you use, how you use it and when to use it. I'm a fan of the AoD combat style as well, and the truly open world/world map is particularly refreshing in this day and age.

kaizoku

Arcane
Backed this on KS. Haven't played it yet.

Considering the complaints regarding the bugs don't you think that you released the game too soon?
It's great that you're still releasing fixes and updates but how to you fix this and this?

For some reason I'm reminded of Troika.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They're (wisely) waiting for it to actually be a complete product before making that commitment because there's no way in hell they'll be able to provide patching support.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom