Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dawn of War 2 Gone Gold

BloodyPuppy

Scholar
Dunno, I haven't played it myself but my friend has. We're both pretty into 40k, and he hates it because it isn't anything like the actual game. Dunno if it's a failure as an RTS, but I don't think it's a good representation of an actual game of 40k.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You have to start a match and close all player slots and replace them with AI if that's what you mean.

Destroid

Arcane
Played some of this tonight - you really need to be on top of your units as they are pretty stupid on their own.

It's very hard to see whats going on at times.

So far seems to be worse than company of heroes in all ways.

MetalCraze

Arcane
And it seems I won't be able to play the beta (if not a whole DoW2) at all.
Because it requires the fucking spyware GFW, which requires an update from M$ which I can't install because the language of the update is not supported and then it also requires retarded .NET framework 3 which constantly crashes during installation.
Oh and GFW service is not available in my region as well.

Well done Relic.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Anyway, after playing a few games on multi since yesterday, I must say that the Eldar kick ass, which is gud, since the last time I saw them kick ass was in Rites of War.

I also wonder if the Space Marines suck so much, because Relic wanted people to drop them and start playing something else, unlike dow1 where Space Marines were pretty much superior.

Ryuken

Liturgist
made said:
How is the voice acting for the units? Any memorable lines like in DOW? That was the game's strongest point imo.
Playing as Orkz is the funniest experience. The units themselves have all kinds of comments (heroes even have specific comments for other allied or hostile heroes) but there is also an omnipresent narrator, specific for each race.

AI is in but it's shit, even on Expert, once you are used to the game. Online play with human opponents is night and day difference.

Space Marines don't necessarily suck but they are the race which needs its units to survive the most. Extremely high cost, small squads, a not so big unit roster, they're tough but losing a squad can be utter pain. They also have one extra global ability compared to the other races but again, Terminator Squads or Venerable Dreadnoughts are incredibly expensive.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

meh, feels pretty much like dumbed down CoH (as everyone - both people who like and dislike it - told me before ).

dont care much about MP though but the shitty AI in compstomps doesnt bode well for an interesting single player experience. hope i m wrong.

oh well. as a 40k fan i have played even through and somewhat enjoyed "Firewarrior", so i ll probably play through this as well - once it hit the bargain bin.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So is DoW better than this one?
I remember playing with several DoW's AI opponents were pretty fun on higher difficulties, not speaking about human players.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
DoW's AI sucked, you had to download custom AI patches to make it challenging.

Downloading now, I'll post what I think (which is going to be the most accurate of any of the comments posted) later.

Meh, this feels like a step back from both CoH and the original DoW. I'm neither a RTS or Warhammer expert, but the tactical opportunities just don't seem very interesting. I suppose if you have a hard-on for ability based hero/unit micro you might like it. Doesn't seem like there are very many units to play with either. Personally, I've always preferred CoH type micro, you know, setting up MG and artillery field positions, scouting for other units using snipers, lining tanks up with frontal armor to take incoming fire and so on.

The Voice Acting and Dialogue are both on par from what I remember from the original DoW, but again a step back from CoH. The dialogue in the intro cinematic made me wince a couple times. Music is blah. Looks nice though, even on the lowest settings. Animations are top notch, and a pleasure to watch different units kill each other in a variety of gory ways.

Annonchinil

Scholar
Yeah the AI is rather bad.

On the other hand Gamespot users think DoWII is a very deep and complex game that's better than(or just as good) CoH in all respects. One poster stated that 'its a true thinking mans rts.' Of course he also thinks that the AI is very challenging and on expert difficulty its just as good as a Human opponent.

MetalCraze

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
DoW's AI sucked, you had to download custom AI patches to make it challenging.

Ah I remember playing it with one.

On the other hand Gamespot users think DoWII is a very deep and complex game that's better than(or just as good) CoH in all respects. One poster stated that 'its a true thinking mans rts.'
It happens when you try to make dumb retards think which unit to click.

Also Eldar were overpowered in DoW - when they build Avatar of course. It's like an imbalanced cheat and I don't understand why somebody needed such superunits in DoW.

Destroid

Arcane
Games for windoes live seems to be utter shit. A login is required to play DoW2 online and there are barely any options for voice communication (such as push to talk).

The matchmaking service also seems to completely suck, I have yet to be match with players in any mode that have a ping below 500, resulting in frequent player drops and lag. There is no obvious option to abandon a game that is auto matched before it begins, and if you do, players can report you?

I have also experienced a sync error in my second game.

I don't understand why developers are moving away from the traditional server browser (see left 4 dead), it is a fast and effective way to find games that will provide good performance. There is a server browser present in DoW2, however I have yet to see a single server appear in it.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
This game is doing nothing for me. I don't see how I could find it fun as a single player squad-based ARPG, and I would have wanted it primarily for single player.

I'm glad I at least had the chance to try it first.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Destroid said:
Games for windoes live seems to be utter shit. A login is required to play DoW2 online and there are barely any options for voice communication (such as push to talk).

The matchmaking service also seems to completely suck, I have yet to be match with players in any mode that have a ping below 500, resulting in frequent player drops and lag. There is no obvious option to abandon a game that is auto matched before it begins, and if you do, players can report you?

I have also experienced a sync error in my second game.

I don't understand why developers are moving away from the traditional server browser (see left 4 dead), it is a fast and effective way to find games that will provide good performance. There is a server browser present in DoW2, however I have yet to see a single server appear in it.

I've managed to install framework and GFW after some fucking with registry and even now the game won't run because of... GFW. It's like that shit with GTA4 all over again (it tends to crash when you make GFW active).
So I have the same question - why the fuck would someone want that GFW crap? It is the worst, most buggy multiplayer service out there. And it is mandatory.

Astromarine

Erudite
I know you bitches like to complain about the DoW series, but for me at least it's been great. The game itself, I mean, even if the whole steam + gfwl thing is extremely crappy.

Now I wait for single player. Read it sucks.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
skyway said:
So I have the same question - why the fuck would someone want that GFW crap? It is the worst, most buggy multiplayer service out there. And it is mandatory.

Out of interest, is it mandatory to play the game at all or just if you want to take it online?

made

Arcane
Only for the online portion, I assume. Anything else would be retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom