Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News David Gaider leaves BioWare

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't worry. It can happen to the best of us sometimes ;)

He himself delivers some epic quotes.
WzMxBCD.jpg

o19Hiek.png
I don't get it though, I mean, he's at least as white as Irenaeus

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
And your evidence for this is what exactly?

Check out how EA's stock did since Inquisition was released.

Yes, even the Biodrones pointed to EA stock, but the thing is, other games were released also by EA at the time. Bioware games are popular, but they don't push EA stock up or down by themselves. Stock goes up because of anticipation of growth, not so much current successes anyway - so if anything it's more important that a ME sequel was announced, rather than anything else.

DA:I was never mentioned in the earnings conference call after DA:I was released. Which is exactly the moment to "allow companies to highlight successes during prosperous times". No such highlight for DA:I, it was quietly never mentioned.

The only sales information released about DA:I is that it was the "most successful launch in BioWare history based on units sold". Which is no information at all. Like saying DA2's launch week sold twice as much as DA:O at launch. It's just that it didn't sell anything *after* launch.

But my evidence is quite simply, they've completely gone silent on the DA franchise, there's no sequels planned, multiplayer is basically dead (not that it ever was alive), there's no community activity since months ago, the "complete edition" of the game was out two months after the last DLC was released and is already at 50% off. They're wrapping this franchise up for the foreseeable future.

The fact that they put Weekes as a placeholder for a lead-writer, doesn't say much of anything. He's got the title, but giving titles is cheap and he's no rockstar like Gaider. He's a loyal Gaider footsolder and easy to place on any other project at any time.

EA is in the business to make money, DA:I didn't do very well at that - it didn't lose them money, but that's not enough. It didn't grow the franchise. Neither did DA2. Two games of stagnation is death.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
But my evidence is quite simply, they've completely gone silent on the DA franchise, there's no sequels planned, multiplayer is basically dead (not that it ever was alive), there's no community activity since months ago, the "complete edition" of the game was out two months after the last DLC was released and is already at 50% off. They're wrapping this franchise up for the foreseeable future.

Well yeah, it's probably going to take another three years for another to come out. In the meantime, they want all fan focus on Andromeda.

Gonna look forward to the "I told ya so" when the next DA is announced.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I didn't really follow the story and the releases, but don't they have the entire "evil empire" region unexplored yet, or was that covered by DA:I?

Last edited:

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
About Gayder: bye bye, faggot.

I want to play crpgs where companions dont say at every conversation how they want to be fucked in ass by hero.

Fargus

Arcane
About Gayder: bye bye, faggot.

I want to play crpgs where companions dont say at every conversation how they want to be fucked in ass by hero.

What will change with Gaydar leaving Bioware? As if they stop making LBGT date sims with shepardesque main character :)

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Okay. So Chris Avellone and David Gaider are now both at EA, working hard on the next Star Wars RPG.

Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case... ;)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Athkatla >> any other city in any game I have ever played.

Didn't know that this was Gaider's work.
I'm not sure which parts of BG2's he designed (unless you already know) because he wasn't lead design. But he was lead designed of Throne of Bhaal.

...Which... I still haven't played. I've done both BG1 and BG2 but I wanted to do a BGTutu run-through for the entire 'trilogy' but I burnt out... But perhaps I will try again. Wild Mage of course. Was turned into a Squirrel last time I played :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Hm Gaider was involved in design for vanilla NWN1, too.

And before any complaints about the story: NWN1 was actually beautifully executed in two aspects: modules and multiplayer. I've spent more time playing NWN modules than probably any single player RPG. Creme of the crop modules, too, that I specifically searched for "Roleplaying" in NWNVault. So not just a bunch of random hack & slash ones . And in terms of multiplayer... While the DMed small party thing never caught on, Persistent Worlds were amazing. In fact Persistent Worlds have still been my favorite "MMORPGs" I've ever played.

And then Gaider did Hordes of the Underdark, which you may consider one of the top modules.

I don't worship the guy, but I'm saying that he has a good design portfolio and he is a good asset to a team.

As long as you keep him away from writing.

Septaryeth

Augur

I'm not sure which parts of BG2's he designed (unless you already know) because he wasn't lead design. But he was lead designed of Throne of Bhaal.

...Which... I still haven't played. I've done both BG1 and BG2 but I wanted to do a BGTutu run-through for the entire 'trilogy' but I burnt out... But perhaps I will try again. Wild Mage of course. Was turned into a Squirrel last time I played :lol: :lol: :lol:

You could try the EE trilogy for the Avellone-approved expansion.

And have romance with the other wild mage while you're at it.:dgaider:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

You could try the EE trilogy for the Avellone-approved expansion.

And have romance with the other wild mage while you're at it.:dgaider:
Stop triggering me

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Well yeah, it's probably going to take another three years for another to come out. In the meantime, they want all fan focus on Andromeda.

I hope you'll get the chance, because I'd like to see what they do for a fourth game with another lead writer and maybe even some fresh ideas. My enthusiasm is only dampened by what is EA corporate and nu-Bioware.

I'm not a hater, hell I bought DA:I hoping it was going to be good. Turned out I didn't appreciate it much, but I wasn't hoping for it to fail. I also noticed that asides from the Biodrones, not a lot of people liked DA:I. Anecdotal, but there's just no DA:I community outside the Bioware forums. There's no modding, there's no multiplayer enthusiasm and there isn't anyone talking about it (outside this fine forum)

Producing games for these EA/Bioware is a lot like how movie studios approach things. They'd rather bet on a safe thing than just about anything else and they're always looking for the biggest profit. A known IP is better than a new IP any day for corporate, so there's hope for a new DA.

From where I'm sitting it looks like Bioware corporate has decided to pause the DA franchise until further notice. But perhaps you're right, you make a perfectly reasonable argument.

Last edited:

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Wait... Now he can fuck with other companies! Fuck.

Also, I didn't realize Hamburger Helper was gone. I'm disappointed. When did the heifer leave?

Kindred spirits, breaking their shackles

You can actually see MCA's single manly tear on the sticky note there.

Also, that's not a tear. It's a jizz stain.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I wonder if James Ohlen will leave as well at some point. He's definitely another guy, like Gaider and MCA, who's been promoted into a role beyond his capacity/comfort zone at the texas studio, working on crap like TOR and Shadow Realms. Remember that this is the guy who is largely responsible for the combat system in BG2.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron

I hope you'll get the chance, because I'd like to see what they do for a fourth game with another lead writer and maybe even some fresh ideas. My enthusiasm is only dampened by what is EA corporate and nu-Bioware.

I'm not a hater, hell I bought DA:I hoping it was going to be good. Turned out I didn't appreciate it much, but I wasn't hoping for it to fail. I also noticed that asides from the Biodrones, not a lot of people liked DA:I. Anecdotal, but there's just no DA:I community outside the Bioware forums. There's no modding, there's no multiplayer enthusiasm and there isn't anyone talking about it (outside this fine forum)

Producing games for these EA/Bioware is a lot like how movie studios approach things. They'd rather bet on a safe thing than just about anything else and they're always looking for the biggest profit. A known IP is better than a new IP any day for corporate, so there's hope for a new DA.

From where I'm sitting it looks like Bioware corporate has decided to pause the DA franchise until further notice. But perhaps you're right, you make a perfectly reasonable argument.

You should probably give up all optimism - while I'm no longer based in Edmonton, I lived there most of my life and knew a number of the guys that worked on the older games. Pretty much no one of relevance is left, so you should abandon any hope you had of even small fragment of the elements you used to enjoy in past Bioware games being implemented in anything they do going forward. Lukas Kristjanson is around but lets be real, he's not a good writer. His juvenile work had some charm in BG2 but he's responsible for garbage like Sera in the DA:I.

DeN DarK

Educated
Whitestone One, First Throne, Forty Forties
You should probably give up all optimism - while I'm no longer based in Edmonton, I lived there most of my life and knew a number of the guys that worked on the older games. Pretty much no one of relevance is left, so you should abandon any hope you had of even small fragment of the elements you used to enjoy in past Bioware games being implemented in anything they do going forward. Lukas Kristjanson is around but lets be real, he's not a good writer. His juvenile work had some charm in BG2 but he's responsible for garbage like Sera in the DA:I.

Sad thing. I'm very open-minded then I choose games to play. I even liked DA2 a little and manage to finish it. Even with that attitude I cannot finish DA:I. World became one large wet SJW dream.

Gays - I didn't mind them. But why 3/4 of companions are LGBT-ads? Is it very anti-gay - expect from the game interesting companions, not poor quality SJW-tolerance propaganda? Why all companions so unitresting compared even to DA:O? If they wanted make something agains intolerance - it must be done gracefully. They may show how some good people suffer from intolerance and they may add some anti-gay companion and make tension in group. Instead they just add some quntity of gays and make it "ideal" SJW world with total equality.
Races - same thing. First they do it right in DA:O - where intolerance rule and elves are low caste and dwarfs have low caste and e.t.c. And than DA:I - half of the population of people in snowy mountains - Indians, Chineese or black. Why? It is almost medieval setting. Color of skin depend on place of living. Only modern means of transportation give ability to different races live together. Before that - it was rare. And suddenly DA:I setting became modern USA. Even in DA:2 in was better because in large seaport we can see picture like that. But even in DA:2 it wan't so.
Actually it is just minor details. It harder to say what they make right in DA:I. Writing is boring, quests are linear, and e.t.c. I think music and graphics is o.k. - and this is best I can say about DA:I.
Gaider or no-Gaider even without SJW crap - game is boring. Even third ME was much-much better like visual novel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom