Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Darkest Dungeon Released

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
>gets a well-meaning advice to spend his time more productively
>proceeds to write rants and shit on both the game (he supposedly hates) and the user (who gave him the above well-meaning advice)

:hmmm:

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
Still bad at that whole reading comprehension thing I see.

Aenra

Such persistence..two tags and still going strong i see..

Ah man, this site :D

Game looked possibly interesting, came to get the Codex consensus on it before doling out cash. Judging from the thread, I'm much more entertained by Celerity than I would be by the game itself, and it only cost me half an hour of my time. Thanks as always, 'dex.

valcik

Arcane
Very mediocre game full of repetitive and redundant time-wasting mechanics.

Barks for instance, which are balloons with sentences your characters have to say, popping in and slowing you down greatly since you either have to wait couple of seconds patiently until they disappear or stop any activity you are engaged by until you're hunting those balloons down with your cursor. Text provided by this feature doesn't contain anything crucial, it's purely cosmetic feature reflecting informations provided by UI - stress level, quirks, and so on. What's the point of breaking your activity with pop-up window, when all it displays is information you already know? Stupid mobile market decadence slipping in, lemme tell ya! They are popping in everywhere, in your hamlet, facilities, or dungeons. There's plenty of them in the game and they cannot be turned off in the options.

Map autocenter being another one. You can move or zoom your map situated in a small window in bottom right part of your screen, which is good since map of large dungeons doesn't fit the window. The bad thing is that you cannot plan your route properly, because fucking map tends to autocenter every couple of seconds, effectively rendering your manually set zoom and position of the map useless. You have to zoom it out again by manually and move it again repeatedly if you want to plan your route properly. This is extremely annoying and useless feature, since there's also autocenter button placed in the window so why autocentering it automatically in addition? The reason is simple - this is game for young gamepad-toting millenials who are often retarded, so it treats you as one of retards preemptively.

Saving your progress. There's wannabe rogue like system with autosaving implemented, which doesn't allow you to save the game on your own. I can understand this mechanics in those half arsed dungeons where it makes for tense and dangerous feel on your part, but it doesn't make sense in the hamlet. You're forced to exit the game through menu in order to let it autosave, then navigate to your C:\Users\[username]\Documents directory, zip that thing by manually, and restart your game again. I think this autosave feature should have been toggled on/off through in-game menu. When you can adjust combat system core mechanics through menu, why not this stupid thing too?

Celerity: come at me bro.jpg

Celerity

That's actually pretty good, but you forgot a few.

Animations: These one frame, slow, jerky "animations" will slow you down every time you select any action. You can't skip them or turn them off.
The secret RNG element: No, not the usual RNG whines. Did you know the game is deliberately programmed in such a way that selecting your action very quickly (within 1 second of getting your turn) gives you a much higher than statistically likely chance of failing that action? Very noticible with 90% accuracy, which you will have if grinding correctly.
The ending screen: All the stuff you get is counted one by one. If you wanna see how much you grinded you gotta wait (you can skip this if you don't care).

The answer on why this stuff is there is very simple. Grind, and grind, and grind. Anything that can slow you down and drag out the game is good, by Rekt Hook's "vision". It has a much larger effect than you think. Tax every action for 1 second waiting, + 4 more for the pointless animation and that's 20 seconds a combat round... which doesn't seem like much until you consider how many rounds they want you grinding each trash encounter, how many trash encounters there are per dungeon, and how many dungeons they want you grinding through. Doing things the Rekt Hook way literally adds 30 hours on your run JUST from those two things. JUST that. NOTHING else. Including the ENEMY animations, which add another 24 hours... The other reason the whole 1 second thing is there? Dumb streamers panic when RNG fucks them, start going quick which specifically fucks them more, boom game hard by Rekt Hook's 'vision".

hivemind

you should just shoot the studio up so they won't force their grind on anyone ever again

valcik

Arcane
.. you forgot a few.
No, I just don't want to pester you with my broken English unnecessary. :P

The ending screen
This reminded me of another one - negative quirks are distributed without any logic. My holy crusader refusing to enter brothel got syphilis this way! What baffles me the most is how? He's been covered in metal armour, surrounded by three guys, yet he caught it somehow.. This raises a lot of questions, doesn't it?
:troll:

Another combat mechanics what baffles me is stun. I think that Dodge value of any stunned character should have been decreased or nulled temporarily. Stunned person dodging attacks? How?

Celerity

I'd rather have broken, but intelligent English then the trash posts from the shills.

Yeah, apparently managing mental states means random shit happens without logic. Because that's a good representation of say, the CoC system where if you go insane from seeing a crowman thing, you will probably develop some animal related insanity. There's a reason a common meme review is Syphilis from a book. It's about the only positive review I think twice about downvoting on sight. :troll:

Stun not negating dodge is again this incoherent "vision", and is one more reason why stun is useless.

Cadmus

Arcane
I stopped reading this spergthread at about page 3. I had known nothing about this game, I got it yesterday and it seems pretty fun so far. I'm a bit concerned about the grinding comments here but whatever. Celerity seems like a retarded monkey so I'm not gonna take what he says seriously and enjoy the game as long as it's fun.

Hyperpube

Scholar
man what are you people even talking about in here.

I thought this place would be a cool place but you all sound insane

Hyperpube

Scholar
alright I know that post isn't exactly going to fly over well and win me any friends, it was pretty unnecessary I am obviously new here and was pretty happy to find a place that obviously loves deep rpgs. . At the time I thought this was the official thread to talk about the game, and was kinda frustarted/disappointed that the thread seemed more like just a flame war than people actually talking about the game and pretty much lost interst in the board Now I see that there was is another thread to talk about the game more in depth.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Hey look! Someone just grew some peach fuzz and learned how to use the internet.

Celerity

Heh, I think I know who that person is. Seems the people I'm trolling in reviews are stalking me again. :D

Hyperpube

Scholar
//
you all sound insane

Insane... or real people, instead of no-thinking puppets?

You decide.
honestly the first impression I got was of a bunch of people who were trying way too hard to come across as edgy flamers instead of just some guys who like some rpgs. But hey I was wrong...you've shown me it's a bunch of people trying way too hard to show they aren't puppets or sheep

Just fucking around..sort of
I actually do think this board seems pretty cool and I've read the forum rules so I know why there is so much flaming, and don't actually think everybody here is insane. I am sure everybody here is a swell bunch of guys behind their little shtick

Hyperpube

Scholar
Or a bunch of people that like things that you don't like.
Or a bunch of people that can't read.
I didn't say anything about what things people like here, don't really know where you got that from.
everybody can relax it's ok I already said I am sure you guys are a bunch of nifty guys and I am just mostly fucking around (it's true that my first impression was that a lot of people seemed to be trying too hard to flame here, but you know..first impressions don't mean permanent impressions)

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
everybody can relax it's ok I already said I am sure you guys are a bunch of nifty guys

That's a relief :M
I thought it would be... that's why I said it. I'm a swell guy
We are so glad you joined us!!!!
Can you post a picture of your gaping arsehole in the community pictures thread? I want to print it out and cum on it.

I'm in about week 30 into the game and I just started to feel a real grind. 3/4 of my roster is always insane and I have to treat them and the missions hardly even pay for themselves. I finally made a full lvl3 party and ventured into a lvl 3 dungeon only to lose my strongest hero immediately. I'm thinking I'm approaching the game wrong and should try to run as soon as there's any danger or I won't be making much progress like this. It's getting kinda boring, honestly, but I'm hoping to see some new stuff and the challenge is high so that helps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom