Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dark Souls III Released

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Are there seriously people that don't have a gamepad connected to their PC now? I am one grumpy motherfucker, but even I have one now.... :M

Never bought a gamepad, never will. I'm useless with one (tried to play on the office xbox), and the learning curve is just too much for me to go through, even if there was a game that was worth it.

Additionally, today I saw that Quantum Break requires you to upgrade to windows 10, to use DX12. I hadn't laughed so hard in a week.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After playing some more, I got to say there is a little bit too much Bloodborne in my Dark Souls. All the enemies are so damn fast now, and relying on a shield often means you will be dead. Enemies attack like crazy and don't suffer from the same stamina limits. So you can block the first 2-3 strikes but then your stamina is gone and you will be open for slaughtering. It gets frustrating. But then again, you can stunlock enemies like there is no tomorrow with a fast weapon. I'm going for a heavy strength guy, so far though all heavy weapons have proved to be worthless compared to a fast sword. Just press RB as fast as you can to stunlock and kill. Heavy armors will slow you down and make you fatroll. Nothing new here, except that heavy armors seem to mean nothing now. Rolling and dodging is a must, and that don't work that well with fatrolling. Overall the game just feels too fast for me. I preferred the combat in Dark Souls 1 & 2. Felt more tactical and rewarding.

Another thing that starts to bug me is the aesthetics. Some areas look good, but many times the areas seems to be directly ripped off from Bloodborne. Especially enemies. Why is all the undead now taller than me? Tall and slim like they were in Bloodborne?

Still fun though, but not getting that Dark Souls feeling I was hoping for. I was also hoping the design would be the same as the first game. Like how all the areas looped around. But instead you just warp from bonfire to bonfire.

Playing right now. Not sure how far I'll get as naked lvl 1, fast attacking enemies are quite unforgiving. Quite stable and pretty so far though.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
After playing some more, I got to say there is a little bit too much Bloodborne in my Dark Souls. All the enemies are so damn fast now, and relying on a shield often means you will be dead. Enemies attack like crazy and don't suffer from the same stamina limits. So you can block the first 2-3 strikes but then your stamina is gone and you will be open for slaughtering. It gets frustrating. But then again, you can stunlock enemies like there is no tomorrow with a fast weapon. I'm going for a heavy strength guy, so far though all heavy weapons have proved to be worthless compared to a fast sword. Just press RB as fast as you can to stunlock and kill. Heavy armors will slow you down and make you fatroll. Nothing new here, except that heavy armors seem to mean nothing now. Rolling and dodging is a must, and that don't work that well with fatrolling. Overall the game just feels too fast for me. I preferred the combat in Dark Souls 1 & 2. Felt more tactical and rewarding.

Another thing that starts to bug me is the aesthetics. Some areas look good, but many times the areas seems to be directly ripped off from Bloodborne. Especially enemies. Why is all the undead now taller than me? Tall and slim like they were in Bloodborne?

Still fun though, but not getting that Dark Souls feeling I was hoping for. I was also hoping the design would be the same as the first game. Like how all the areas looped around. But instead you just warp from bonfire to bonfire.

Even the releaser trailer screamed "Bloodborne".

Cadmus

Arcane
No. He was taliking about the DS1. KB + M is perfect in DS III, no sign of input lag from II that required AutoHotkey to play properly or suffer.

I played all three with KB + M and this is their best effort so far, I have no complains on the controls once you configure it to your taste.
No complaints? What the fuck, they still show button prompts with Xbox pictures, lol. How is this shit even possible after all these years.

Very impressed with what I have seen so far. The game is well optimized and runs good even on lower rigs . They even included a mouse 2 menu and finally I can play it with my mouse and keyboard.
seems optimized like shit to me and from what Ive been reading it is but my PC sucks so whatevs
Playing right now. Not sure how far I'll get as naked lvl 1, fast attacking enemies are quite unforgiving. Quite stable and pretty so far though.
I played naked dude and got really fucked, tried to beat the first boss like 6 times and got fucked cuz of my FPS being in teens.

I played naked dude and got really fucked, tried to beat the first boss like 6 times and got fucked cuz of my FPS being in teens.

First boss first try naked, but katana man at firelink and second boss made me waste a lot of time. Anyways, got some shards so time to upgrade my club. Also, screenshots come out completely white at 10x resolution. :M

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
DS1 is the one game I used a controller to play outside of the obvious like platformers. It's fine.

Electryon

Savant
People who don't play these games because they are averse to consoles or control pads, or are scared by the difficulty are depriving themselves of some of the best gaming experiences they'll ever have. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls II, and Bloodborne are all some of the best games made in the last decade. The quality, depth, attention to detail and obscure but entrancing lore are all off the charts. Dark Souls 3 so far has shown it's not lost a single step.

The games ARE hard, but it's not punishing and cheap like infamous games like Ninja Gaiden or Contra. The games tutor you on how to get better advance as you try and fail over and over. They make you feel anxious, scared, but also in awe and totally elated when you accomplish a goal.

cpmartins

Cipher
oh lol. In that case it's not very accurate, since you can play through DS1 with kb/m just fine as long as you use dsfix and dsmfix. Well, unless you want to play a speedy backstabber build, or rely a lot on plunge attacks.

That's why I said "out of the box".

Anyways, M + KB is ok. Almost half as good as Darksiders 2, which is saying a lot about the shitty as fuck ports From craps out.
I'm having a decent amount of fun with III though. Also, if you're having FPS troubles while on NVidia 500 or 600 :
https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4efemc/if_you_are_using_a_500_series_nvidia_card/

Cynicus

Augur
I was also hoping the design would be the same as the first game. Like how all the areas looped around. But instead you just warp from bonfire to bonfire.
Ahhh, nuts. The first Dark Souls was, IMO, a masterwork of level design. I was hoping that From would return to form with this one.

jungl

Augur
beating quite a few bosses on my first try but the normal enemies murder me. Feels like every other souls game tbh. You have moments where you trudging along without too much frustration then eventually you encounter something that shits on you so hard.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was also hoping the design would be the same as the first game. Like how all the areas looped around. But instead you just warp from bonfire to bonfire.
Ahhh, nuts. The first Dark Souls was, IMO, a masterwork of level design. I was hoping that From would return to form with this one.

Actually it seems that you can run from one bonfire to the next without warping. But it is linear. You will not wander into high level areas like in the first game. You will be warping back to the nexus though, time and time again to level and such :)

Last edited:

Electryon

Savant

It's more like Bloodborne, in which individual areas loop on themselves in a very satisfying way, but as for the nearly complete interconnection of Darks Souls 1, that still remains a one-time thing. Actually, Dark Souls 2 has far more of this individual zone shortcut stuff than it's given credit for, it's just not quite as elegant as the other games. High Wall of Lothric, the first proper area in Dark Souls 3, is very comparable to Central Yharnam in scope and in revealing it's hidden paths.

himmy

Arcane
Who the hell liked Gothic (particularly the first one) for the combat?
me. because it actually requires a brain

Enjoying having to arbitrarily push an extra button for every command is clearly the sign of a superior intellect. Do you also enjoy cooking with one hand behind your back, constantly congratulation yourself on your intelligence while you burn and cut yourself?

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
oh lol. In that case it's not very accurate, since you can play through DS1 with kb/m just fine as long as you use dsfix and dsmfix. Well, unless you want to play a speedy backstabber build, or rely a lot on plunge attacks.

That's why I said "out of the box".

Anyways, M + KB is ok. Almost half as good as Darksiders 2, which is saying a lot about the shitty as fuck ports From craps out.
I'm having a decent amount of fun with III though. Also, if you're having FPS troubles while on NVidia 500 or 600 :
https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4efemc/if_you_are_using_a_500_series_nvidia_card/

Fuck yes!!!! I installed the game on a 560 OC and got between 15 and 35 FPS (while facing a wall). I'm at work, but I can't wait to get back home and install it again with the drivers from the link. Are this different from the latest Nvidia drivers version?

Last edited:

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Are there seriously people that don't have a gamepad connected to their PC now? I am one grumpy motherfucker, but even I have one now.... :M

Never bought a gamepad, never will. I'm useless with one (tried to play on the office xbox), and the learning curve is just too much for me to go through, even if there was a game that was worth it.

Additionally, today I saw that Quantum Break requires you to upgrade to windows 10, to use DX12. I hadn't laughed so hard in a week.
The learning curve of pressing 4 buttons is too much for you?

Seriously?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The games ARE hard, but it's not punishing and cheap like infamous games like Ninja Gaiden or Contra.

Bullshit. DaS3 is punishing and cheap. It's filled with artificial difficulty like infinite stamina mobs, mobs with homing attacks, stunlocks from hell and so on. I already wrote a lot in the other thread and I don't like to repeat myself.

I understand you love the game but Come on! DaS3 is many things but fair ain't one. It's a good game but also a clear departure from his predecessors. Some people like it but others like myself have difficulties adjusting to it. Or should I say, I don't have the motivation to adjust to it. But this is my problem.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Who the hell liked Gothic (particularly the first one) for the combat?
me. because it actually requires a brain

Enjoying having to arbitrarily push an extra button for every command is clearly the sign of a superior intellect. Do you also enjoy cooking with one hand behind your back, constantly congratulation yourself on your intelligence while you burn and cut yourself?

So much salt...

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Watching an LP right now. I can't shake the feeling of a mashup of previous Souls games and Bloodborne. Nexus that is called Firelink Shrine, with the Maiden in black from DeS, Andre from DS and a hag from DSII. Mandatory Crestfallen too, wonder where Patches is... "Color" palette straight from BB.
There is huge amount of detail all over the place, and nothing stands out, which IMO plagues most AAA titles nowadays.

And my general complaint about the series is that all the official imagery is about knights in plate armor, while it's the least preferred way to play, more so with every new game.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Does anyone know what the optimal network settings is for seeing other players and such? Default settings most of it is set to restricted or off. Seems wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom