Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Jezal_k23

Fought Oceiros. I'm ok with this boss, the main problem being he should SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!!!

Jezal_k23

Yeah he goes on and on. Like who gives a shit? Shut your god damn mouth...

Wunderbar

Arcane
He was fine. Not often you can see a talking boss in souls game.

His voice is cool too, same actor who voiced Chester and Vendrick.

Jezal_k23

Fighting the NK atm. Good fight in general but phase 1 is just a waste of your time.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
poison swamp? bitch this isn't even my final form

latest

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I'm about to fight the dragonslayer armor and I may want to rethink my weapon situation right now. I'm currently using a +10 raw dragonslayer axe and a +5 old wolf curved sword, which the armor is pretty resistant to both. I need to look over my current weapons and see if I have enough to upgrade a good blunt weapon for it. I could probably brute force it with a bunch of summons and estus but what's the fun in doing it the dumb way.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It's a good joke, but when I actually think about it, my favourite part of the whole AC series was the heat mechanics, especially in arenas with lava, which are functionally a poison swamp for mechs.

Jezal_k23

Btw just did Ashes of Ariandel. That was fairly good. Gravetender and his FUCKING WOLVES was a good fight, while Sister Friede was awesome. This is my first time through the DLC and I thought this one was gonna be awful because I heard this DLC was disgraceful. I thought it was good, not like the DS2 DLCs, but fairly good regardless.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Well I just beat the Nameless King, not on my own unfortunately. I tried 4 timed in total, first try solo, second try with a summon(who died in about 15 seconds), third try solo again in which I actually got to the second phase then died, fourth time with two summons since they were available. They were a magic user who kept blasting some big ball of energy and a ultra greatsword user who had a buff that turned his sword purple. I may as well not have shown up to the fight with those two there. they were doing about 1k damage each time they attacked where my +10 raw dragonslayer axe may as well have been a toothpick doing a little under 200 after buffing with carthus flame arc. Well it's not my most honorable fight but it was entertaining as hell. Pity the first phase was so bad thanks entirely to the camera and that one attack where he flies into the air and breathes fire everywhere.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
How people will perceive the gravetender boss will be based on how efficient they were at killing the crap enemies quickly before the giant wolf spawns. It's not much of a fight if you can kill them fast enough.
With that said, despite the giant wolf feeling like some more dejavu, it was decent fun for the eyes. The animation on the wolf and his attack patten looks fucking epic visually. It feels like the type of thing they probably had in mind when they made fights like Sif but didn't have the chops to do right the first times around. It's not a particularly innovative boss, but it was far more enjoyable than the other type of recycled content in DS3 (did they really need to bring back the asylum demon?).

Ashes of Ariandel may only have one thoughtful boss, but it's arguably one of the best piece of content of DS3 though. There's finally some really fucking good level design, and by good level design I don't mean the whole circlejerking from DS1 fans about looping on itself and shiet, more like there's actual thought on enemy placements and making the areas feel really threatening without using one off gimmicks like the second dlc does (angels, judicators, turtle garbage room and corridor filled with billion easy enemies that have humongous hp that require plunging attacks to kill without losing patience or skipping).
The way wolves mobs interact really gives off that wild animal vibe better than anything done before in the series, or maybe even generally in video games? if you didn't immediately rush into them you notice how they actually act cautious and probing and becomes more murderhobo when they surround you or look at your back when you're skipping through the area. They have a more advanced AI pattern than the vast majority of what has been done so far in souls games, apart from tiny scripted but still cool events like hollows running away from you or warning larger groups.
There's some decent synergy among groups of humanoids too with the knight/spear/flamethrower mobs or the snow niggers when they're around wolves.
And then there's the corvian settlement.. the first time you go through it, it feels like threat could come from any corner.
Ashes of Ariandel is something of a double experience. If you replay through it again in a new game or ng+ and go for rushing toward bosses, the level design is still capable of giving you some good stressful moments before you manage to reach the contraption to gain access to father ariandel. Quite seriously, it's easily the hardest bit of the game to speedrun through despite having solid previous knowledge of the areas. Comparatively the main game feels very tame and the second DLC is nothing if you already know the paths because it's so reliant on the gimmicks which won't hurt you if you aren't there to explore.

Ashes of Ariandel is proof enough that there's still some ability to push out good content after the mediocrity that was DS3 overall outside of its epic boss fights. Unfortunately, they reverted to the DS3 pattern of making amazing bosses and making trash levels in The Ringed City.. when I reached Gael, I was like, that was it? they couldn't even be arsed to make a proper street area and quickly put you through YET ANOTHER SWAMP after you realize there's no point in sticking around too long with the large bloated fuckers? From. Please. And that skeleton area pseudo catacombs feels like just an excuse to have another sequence of patches kicking you. There's just no decent content in there. Angels are a complete joke gimmick and if you really want to explore the worthless area they just disappear after you kill their summoner and the entire area loses all meaning.. the first bit of the ringed city is just a large open arena for what is really a single enemy, the judicator.. once dead you go collect your loot and marvel at how much work they put into a single area just for that one enemy that's not actually hard and is just like some fancy bed of chaos thing. Rush toward it, kill it, area complete. it's just garbage all the way.

It's hard to believe it's even the same people who may have made Ashes of Ariandel and the ringed city. How can someone make AoA and then look at the work put into TRC and feel the latter is actually worth it as literally the last piece of content we'll see in the souls franchise for a long while?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Would that area have been better without anything, instead of the asylum demon there? Recycling old content is better than nothing at all, or recycling current content like DS1 having it in the game three times. If anything, I wish they'd recycled more shit as optional bosses and extra enemy variety. Once you've killed an enemy once or twice in these games, it's really just a chore to do it again.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Asylum demon was a rehash concept-wise, but gameplay-wise it was different from its original form in DS1. It wasn't that bad tbh.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I'm thinking of creating a new character now that I'm almost done with my current run and have some knowledge about the game. I want to do some form of challenge run though, just so I don't go into the same routine of throwing on havel's ring and the heaviest armor I can wear. Aside from that, I know I'm not touching the dragonslayer axe this time just to mix things up but that's all I got. I think I'm going to start as a thief for now and see where that gets me.

EDIT: I saw this being brought up in one of the threads but DS3 doesn't tie an NPC's quest progression to summoning them like in DS2 does it? If not, then no summons is definitely on the table to start.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
I want to do some form of challenge run though...

...I think I'm going to start as a thief
Nope. Thief is overpowered. 35 Luck + Bandit knife + bleed infusion = opposition exploding like sacks of blood in those B samurai movies. Oh and you also have the knife drifting weapon art that's also ridiculously useful in PvE.

Arnust

Savant
EDIT: I saw this being brought up in one of the threads but DS3 doesn't tie an NPC's quest progression to summoning them like in DS2 does it? If not, then no summons is definitely on the table to start.
No, but you have to summon "yourself" into other worlds for Sirris' quest several times. I think that's it. Oh, and Cuculus's unique items are unlocked only by having her survive tyenfight you can use her for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom