Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Daniel Fedor's next game (NEO Scavenger dev)

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Infinitron, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    We first heard about this back in September:

Since then he's been quietly blogging about it: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/01/11/neo-scavenger-next-game/

• Brofist Brofist x 23
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Jimmious Arcane

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    I'll be waiting for this. NEO Scavenger was my Christmas holiday game this year. I must have died 100 times in these two weeks in there

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Parrots:
    Codex USB, 2014
  4. Luka-boy Arcane

Luka-boy
    Parrots:
    Tasteful rape confirmed :incline:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  5. pippin Guest

pippin
    Yes. i can't wait to die like a bitch 100 times in a row again.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. dcfedor Blue Bottle Games Developer

dcfedor
    Parrots:
    I think my period of quiet tinkering may have just expired :)

Thanks for the shout-out! Still plugging away at this thing. Been through one engine change already, added a third dimension for shadow-casting, and took advantage of Unity's built-in shaders for some normal-mapping on the sprites. Target features are still the same as before, though. Just a bit more spiffy looking!

No, thank god. I was originally working in HaxeFlixel, which would've produced native C++ apps on all platforms. However, there were some things I wanted that it couldn't do easily, so I decided to try out Unity. A month later, and I'm pretty impressed at what I can make in Unity in so little time, so I think I'm sticking with it. So no, no Flash. Should be Windows, Mac, and Linux native apps at release. Not sure yet if other Unity-supported platforms will make sense or not.

Yikes! I hadn't thought of that. It's an interesting and legitimate question to ponder, though. NEO Scavenger had to wrestle with similarly touchy subjects, and usually erred towards implying rather than implicit. (Edit: Duh, I mean explicit) I'm pretty satisfied with the tone in NEO Scavenger, and this game shares the same universe, so I'll probably stay the course.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 27
    • Slurp this person's delicious asshole Slurp this person's delicious asshole x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Tasteful alien rape?

Looking forward to this.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 13
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. titus Arcane Patron

titus
    Parrots:
    Sounds great, enjoyed NEO Scavenger a lot.

NSFW (open)

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. mixer Learned

mixer
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Neanderthal Arcane

Neanderthal
    Parrots:
    Whats opinion on that Neo Scavenger, passed below radar for me, any kop?

^ Top  
  13. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane

<3sRichardSimmons
    Parrots:
    It's fanfuckingtastic. One of the best games I've played in years.

We gave it an award last year (bronze reader's choice, I believe), but fuck awards. Don't take that clickbait shit seriously.

The game is legitimately great though.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  14. Jimmious Arcane

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    And hard as balls may I add. You will die in any way you can imagine

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Including diarrhea.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Jimmious Arcane

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    Yeap. My last dude died from a heart attack while running like crazy to escape a dogman who had already made him bleed from every body part

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. pippin Guest

pippin
    One of my characters died while shitting. What a shitty death.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    One of my characters ate poisoned berries, got diarrhea and literally shat himself to death.

10/10 best game ever.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Neanderthal Arcane

Neanderthal
    Parrots:
    Right off to GOG I go, cheers lads, much obliged.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  20. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Parrots:
    Got my sis to try the game. She made a sling. She met a guy, and she wanted to scare him. So she sent a rock his way, but the rock hit his brain insta-killing him. Such a great moment. She actually felt bad for a very long time after that :)

I haven't managed to kill someone with one blow myself. Even the tiniest creature I have to wrestle with for hours before it succumbs.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. dcfedor Blue Bottle Games Developer

dcfedor
    Parrots:
    Hey Folks!

I've been wrestling with a design decision recently, and figured I'd see if any ancient lore in the 'dex could help. In short, I'm looking for an engaging and intuitive way to present dramatic and procedural crew activity to the player.

As most of you know, I'm working on a top-down crew management sim. This screenshot is one of the latest iterations:

[​IMG]

This UI followed a discussion of various dialogue presentations in the comments on this devlog post.

The problem is that there will be a lot going on in a given ship. Crew will be walking the ship, interacting with each other and equipment (i.e. their duties), and I'd like the player to be able to watch and engage with these events in an entertaining way. Note that dialogue is likely to be more generic like the above, rather than specific/topical lines. It's meant to minimize content creation costs, allow for emergent/procedural drama, and leave just enough to the imagination to be interesting.

I think the shipboard duties will be pretty easy to handle, as this is a known problem solved by many games (FTL, Rimworld, Sims). The trick will be making the dramatic portion more interesting (and not overwhelming).

For example, the above animation shows one approach where the currently speaking AI is bracketed on the map while the bottom of the screen shows their portrait and interaction details. This is fine in some games, but I'm finding even in this limited case of 2 AIs talking that my eyes are constantly darting from map to dialogue and back. It's a lot of work to keep up with it, and this would only get worse the more AI we throw in.

I've considered floating text immediately above each AI:

[​IMG]

which could work. Even if many AIs were talking at once and the player couldn't keep up with it all, that wouldn't be contrary to expectations in reality. Focus on the convo you want at a cocktail party, for example. This might start to dominate the play screen, though. Especially with the addition of portraits (which I'm warming to for variety/personality benefits).

What I'm wondering is: are there any other presentations you've seen that might handle this situation well? And suggestions for how else I could approach this?

One suggestion I've received is to make an interaction a generic word bubble above the participants, requiring the player to click it (or something) to see more. This would be akin to approaching a group at a party (or else just eavesdropping deliberately). It keeps the big picture lively but not crowded, and allows the player to probe deeper as they wish. This seems good on paper, so I may try that next.

Any others?

Also, I guess the above problem invites the question of point-of-view. Who is the player in this game? Are they the captain? Are they each of the crew equally? Some omniscient god?

My first instincts was to make the game similar to Rimworld or Prison Architect: the player inhabits each AI equally (excluding visitors, prisoners, etc.). The player can know anything about any AI at any time, and is limited to their knowledge/awareness (line of sight, instrument read-outs, etc.). I haven't sorted out whether the player will "drive" any AIs, or just set their priorities a la Rimworld. I like the latter, but it could limit certain player input down the road (e.g. making plot decisions, if any, or puzzling out better equipment designs on a grid).

Anyway, I'd love to hear what you guys think, and if you have any suggestions that could help!

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. adrix89 Learned

adrix89
    Parrots:
    Why are there so many of my country here?
    How about having some text boxes all around the screen with portraits.

The boxes will fade(things shouldn't be opaque until you are very close) when you leave its range or there is no conversation and can be color coded so that normally they could be blue but when there is an alert and a person screams it can be red(maybe with the box shaking?) and very opaque even if it should be more faded because of not being in range.
    When you get close and want to join the conversation the boxes could naturally align and converse like that.
    Likewise when a NPC discusses with another NPC they align and link as one.

You could also go with icons, definitely rectangles/boxes are more your style instead of the Sims more comic book speech balloons. Although the boxes could have different themes like the alerts I said. Maybe have some lines from the boxes to the characters. Maybe have something for whispers.

A source of inspiration for this could be Spaces Station 13 although not in this particular case as it just has IRC style chat.

^ Top  
  23. dcfedor Blue Bottle Games Developer

dcfedor
    Parrots:
    When you say text boxes all around the screen, I'm kind of picturing the way off-screen contact icons hug the screen edges in EVE. Is that what you had in mind? Full-on text boxes would probably crowd the UI fast, but maybe small directional icons or indicators would compliment the clickable conversation regime.

As for world bubble style, that isn't something I had thought of yet, but is a good point. The style I'd like is less Sunday Comics than white, rounded blurbs.

^ Top  
  24. Neanderthal Arcane

Neanderthal
    Parrots:
    When I read this an look at them mock ups I couldn't do owt but think o HAL in 2001 watching his crew, while they whisper about it. That dunt help much though.

Personally I think little icons over talking folks heads, that are indicative of speech, but only produce text when scrolled over wi mouse. So you'd hav to follow a conversation going from person to person. Perhaps convos don't start until you first open up speech boxes, but player don't know that?

^ Top  
  25. adrix89 Learned

adrix89
    Parrots:
    Why are there so many of my country here?
    Something like that, you probably have try multiple styles to see what it works anyway.
    I don't think there is any easy solutions in this case. Try whatever comes to mind.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)